• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGI reboot of Courage the Cowardly Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
By everyone's reaction I figured it was super crude but that pilot looked pretty polished. Reminded me of the CG stuff from the new Looney Tunes show.

Bring on the reboot!

Portman

If they're going to rape the franchise like this at least put the whole original show out on disc so people can own it. But nope, don't like it.

Why does everything have to be rebooted. Come up with new stuff people!

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I am down for this because I enjoy Courage, and can overlook my CG gripes. The episodes could be entertaining.

I primarily dislike the CG look because of the added dimension of all the objects. Character shading and effects can look incredibly corny.

Toad.T

Banned
First PPG, then Courage.

Sheep in the big city is probably next, isn't it? I normally don't mind remakes/reboots, but that's the one I'm dreading.

Defect

I don't know how to feel about this. Why does it have to be CG? If it were to be rebooted, the stuff that made it on air long ago wouldn't fly today because LolCartoonNetwork.

K' Dash

Courage was a genuinely creepy show, that CG just wasn't working for me.

yeah it is, I can say I was a bit creeped by the fog in the video, but that's normal courage, I think they did a good job recreating the show in 3D, that looked like courage.

I could get used to this.

I don't know how to feel about this. Why does it have to be CG? If it were to be rebooted, the stuff that made it on air long ago wouldn't fly today because LolCartoonNetwork.

Making a 2D show is really difficult actually.

I was reading the Regular Show Wiki (I LOVE it) and the actual process to get 1 ep done is loooong and hard (that's what she said).

Wikipedia said:
Each episode of Regular Show takes about nine months to complete. Quintel and his 35-strong team develop each episode at Cartoon Network Studios in Burbank, California.[10][11] The script is illustrated in rough hand-drawn images, known as storyboards.[12] The storyboards are then animated and mixed with the corresponding dialogue to create the animatic, which is then sent to be approved by the network. The show's artists assemble the assets (backgrounds, character designs, props) to send to Saerom Animation in South Korea, where the more challenging aspects of the episode are performed. When finished, the episode is sent back to California. Music and sound effects are created and the final episode is mixed and completed. The process allows the production team to work concurrently on dozens of episodes at different stages of production.

I'd say it should be roughly the same to get a Courage reboot going.

Ezduo

Banned
In Dilworth I trust. As long as the writing is up to snuff I'll be there. The CG isn't preferred but if they do it right I'm sure it could come out looking incredible (the tricks they could do with lighting could justify the CG alone).

It's more Courage so regardless I have to support it. There just hasn't been another cartoon quite like it since it got canceled.

Dilworth's stuff is great, but "You're not perfect" worked so well because the show was almost always in 2D, rarely breaking into another animation medium except for dramatic effect. Courage's animation was never as good as that in a Spümcø cartoon, but the showrunners knew how to contrast solid 2D scenes with computer-generated storyboards and freaky, rather inspired premises/character designs. So Eustace's Trumpet just comes out of nowhere and, on top of being perfectly imperfect—like if Victor Mature was an alien from space invading Courage's dreamtime—nobody expects this kind of creature to pop up on screen. It's the best kind of jump scare, since it actually lasts with you or is so effectively horrifying you have no choice but to repress the experience (like I did up until recently).

This 3D stuff looks too smooth and full of "real world" dimension, and the cloud creature isn't that compelling a monster, not like even the UFO chicken. It feels like a compromise made to save money and satisfy the target demographic's self-fulfilling, complacent familiarity with CG animation (one reason why I like what MLP's doing with stylized 2D, boring as it is).

hughesta

Banned
Wish it was 2D, and I clicked that teaser expecting to hate it, but... damn, that was a good start. It looked awful, but the scene that played out was eerie and entertaining to watch. Fuck it, I'm in.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The CG is just too clean for the monsters to be very effective. I feel like a lot of what made the creepy stuff work was the way they felt like someone's sketchbook drawings were real in that world and the few times they did use other techniques it added to the effect.

I dunno, the vid just hasn't sold me on this.

Salsa

doesnt look that bad man

it's a bit too clean and the vapor monster looked weird, but Courage himself looked alright

Delio

Doesn't look that bad but I dunno I'll miss the 2D animation. But if it carries the same feel of the original then I'm in.

Lycanthrope

Doesn't look too bad!

I love Courage and I figure that as long as John R Dilworth is still directing it then it should still have the same feel. But I think I'll miss the 2D art style.

All the same, as long as the show keeps the atmosphere of the first, I'm sold :D

*cough* Hope it comes to Netflix...

I liked Courage when it was on, but while I'm a fan of 2D animation it's art-style is the least of what I found so appealing about it.

I'm surprised people would forgo a CG version of it even with the same creator and writing/humor on board.

Leynos

Off topic, but Freaky Fred, who is that in your avatar? I believe that you had the cartoon Freaky Fred, but now have his new guy who is a dead ringer.

Gorillaz

eqwUduz.gif

This shit ruined me as a kid. I don't even know who their target audience is

KING RAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMSEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Kangi

It must have been because no one ever talks about it. Even most animation buffs can't recall it's existence.
The only thing I vividly remember from that cartoon was the cute little Bee Gees parody, but until YouTube came about I forgot the show had existed.

"LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS SPLINTER" is still a joke I think about to this day. It was a secretly brilliant show, I feel. Shame about its fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom