• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I do think that if SSB4 remains slower and more defensive, that the community at least seriously considers the idea of making matches 3 stock/5 minutes instead of continuing to stick with Melee's 4 stock/8 minutes like they did with Brawl, which was absolutely ridiculous in cases like Meta Knight mirrors on Smashville.

Hell, it was even kind of ridiculous with Melee during EVO. Especially when you had the Jiggly vs. Young Link matchups that were insanely defensive. It really dragged on, and I love watching smash.

Brawl pit used the shield which is one of the sacred treasures. In Uprising Pittoo never uses the sacred treasures (if I recall). I think it's more appropriate if he uses some of the weapons he uses in chapter 6 (Violet palm, EZ canon, ogre club, dark pit staff). Also his main weapon would be his silver bow.

Item05_01_on.png
200px-0,768,102,486-Pit_Violet_Palm.png
Dark_pit_staff.png
Ogre_Club.png
Silver_bow.png

At the very least, like I said, he can certainly use Brawl Pit's Up+B since you know he has the actual Power of Flight. I'd like to think Sakurai is all about having choice and options, especially this time around.

Ryce

The real question is how do they make him visually distinct from Pit. Change his idle animations? Make his alternate colors different shades of black (like Sonic with the color blue)?
He should have some cocky taunts -- turning his back to the screen and glancing over his shoulder, crossing his arms and grunting, and so on. Basically, just make him feel like an apathetic/angsty version of Pit.

Also, his intro animation definitely needs to be breaking out of the Mirror of Truth.

Spinluck

Primarily by keeping pit's bow gold and pittoo's bow silver. Their eye color is different, too, so keep that consistent. Same w/ pit's red gem and dark pit's purple gem. Maybe keep the wings white and black as well. Everything else can change.

Dark Pit is probably in the game.

Does he have different abilities in Pit's anime 3DS adventure? He seems like an easy alt to pull off if not.

Not

Banned
Black Shadow was in that video. Chrom took his place in the comic. Chrom is a Final Smash. Black Shadow is a Final Smash confirmed.

Thanks for the explanation. So I take it 3D hit boxes are potentially frustrating since each character's body shape is different, and so trying to learn frame data and what hits where is more finicky than if it were using 2D boxes and you generally knew that "if I strike within this distance, it will hit?"

I don't think they're necessarily more frustrating, but it definitely lends to a different 'feel'. That original version of Street Fighter IV presented to the press playable with 3D hitboxes, saw a lot of people commenting that the game felt slightly strange and off, and that it felt more like Tekken... despite the fact that SF4 always worked on a 2D plane. That was 3D hit detection at work.

There's a bit in the Street Fighter 25th Documentary where Seth Killian talks specifically about this hitbox thing, with some demonstrations and some brief screencaps from that old 3D-detection build. It might help to explain things a bit, too.
http://youtu.be/2gZBITO5GwI?t=1h1m43s

I do think that if SSB4 remains slower and more defensive, that the community at least seriously consider the idea of making matches 3 stock/5 minutes instead of continuing to stick with Melee's 4 stock/8 minutes like they did with Brawl, which was absolutely ridiculous in cases like Meta Knight mirrors on Smashville.

you mean 3 stocks/8 minutes in Brawl?

also 3 stock/5 minutes isn't really better for avoiding timeouts, you'd have to go down to 2 stocks for that with a 5 minute timer

Hell, it was even kind of ridiculous with Melee during EVO. Especially when you had the Jiggly vs. Young Link matchups that were insanely defensive. It really dragged on, and I love watching smash.

Well I think part of that was that when the whole 4 stock 8 minute thing was standardized, nobody even considered "Jigglypuff v Young Link in top 8 at EVO" to be physically possible

Toxi

Banned
Jigglypuff vs Young Link is really an anomaly. I honestly can't think of another matchup that plays like that.

JoeInky

Yeah some of the slower matchups were honestly ridiculous.

I think this EVO is the event where I realised that Project Recovery is more definitive than Melee in my mind.

Now they just need to nerf all the insane recovery options in that game, way way too easy to get back on the stage.

Cody_D165

Banned
Can you make a version of this without the sword icon in the background?

Welp, I was gonna do this until I realized I'm an idiot and my PSD file is nowhere to be found. I must have not saved the finished one. >_> I can still do it but I'll have to redo it from scratch, shouldn't take too long though. I'll see what I can do about it a bit later tonight.

Wow nice. Can you make a 1920x1080 version btw?

here's a quick crop to that resolution from the jpg, hope that's alright. I would normally make a better effort at resizing but again the psd I have is only about halfway complete.

Huh, was Brawl always 3 stock? I could have sworn that I'd seen 4 stock in at least one major.

Maybe it was just watching 8 minutes of Meta Knights still end in timeouts felt like it was 4 stock

So I guess Lucina will have the same FS as Marth?
A friend suggested yesterday that Pittoo would be added as a clone of Brawl Pit with the same moves.

Which actually makes sense considering his character's abilities.
I was thinking something different, since Sakurai said "However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. " and Dark Pit was teased at the end of the Palutena video as "crashing into her party", I think Dark Pit now has a higher chance of becoming a playable character in the style of being a clone like Lucina.

Toxi

Banned
Huh, was Brawl always 3 stock? I could have sworn that I'd seen 4 stock in at least one major.

Maybe it was just watching 8 minutes of Meta Knights still end in timeouts felt like it was 4 stock
It used to be 4 stock and was reduced to 3, IIRC.

I think it needs to be reduced further.

Revven

Toon Link and Donkey Kong got robbed again. I think Zelda and Shiek have the same one too (once again).

Donkey Kong's could've been that thing he does when landing a bunch of final blows on bosses in Tropical Freeze. That would have felt satisfying enough.

I didn't really expect them to change final smashes at all but if a priority of theirs was to make veterans feel new and fresh to casual players one way would've been to change their final smashes. But they didn't lol. It's even worse that the new ones that are there are just basically like Link's/Ike's (trigger hitbox attack leading into a cutscene you have no control over with a final blow that has strong KB and damage).

I mean I don't care about final smashes but you'd think they would want to improve on the concept a lot more. =\

neither

They've played it, hence the ill thoughts. I can assure you that if the game's controls and movement mechanics had more options then everyone would be on board.
Well like you said in your other post, if the final build of smash 4 doesn't change much from the E3 build then, which they've played then okay..
But I mean, at least wait till the final game is out..

Not that I really care for the competitive scene anyways.

Kouichi

Since Dark Pit is guaranteed to use the Silver Bow if he makes it in, all of his attacks that use the Silver Bow should differ from Pit in the same ways that the Silver Bow differs from the Palutena Bow in Uprising.

For example, the Palutena Bow becomes stronger over a distance and has longer range, while the Silver Bow is the exact opposite, so that should affect his neutral B. Also, the Palutena Bow has stronger physical attacks, so the Dark Pit's attacks could be weaker, but faster.

Edit: The Silver Bow also has better homing, so that could factor in as well.

TheChits

I get the feeling there is going to be a shit storm next year when Smash 4 takes Melee's spot at Evo. I'm talking Smash Wars Episode V: Sakurai Strikes Back.

I hope everyone is mature enough to give Smash 4 at least a fucking year, even if it's worse than Brawl from a competitive stand point. Shitting on the game at launch and not showing up to tournaments/Evo, dooming the game from the start just because it's not as good as Melee would be a damn shame.

Save us Prog

I see a lot of people already shitting on smash 4 calling it brawl 2.0 and what not. I sincerely hope it is given a chance.

JoeInky

Anyone else clamoring for more captain falcon footage?

I'd like to see a feature length movie of falcon beating the shit out of everyone in smash in that FE:A artstyle.

I think I've watched that reveal trailer 50 times now just to watch Falcon, it's not even a Robin/Lucina reveal trailer to me anymore.

emb

I don't mind the idea of something like 1 or 2 stocks and 2-4 minutes for Brawl. It would encourage timeouts, sure, but shorter time outs. Maybe make 3/5 a standard and it more or less works out.

But I say this as someone without much Brawl experience.

Yeah, people adjust, things change, smash 4 will be different. I think the concern is that, even if it's balanced and a good fighter, it might favor playing defensively over offensively. While a viable tactic, it's far less fun to watch when played competitively, so less people will watch it and it'll get less attention in the community. If stalling is a valid tactic, the game will fail to catch on in the FGC at large. It needs to be fun to watch AND play.

SF4, UMVC, Melee, BlazBlu, Tekken, etc. are all really fun to watch. Brawl can often be pretty boring to watch.
Smash 4 has already proven to be pretty fun to watch, and while that could just be because it's brand new, I think it's more because the character play styles are extremely diverse. For everything Smash 4 lacks in terms of competitively favorable mechanics, it makes up for in sheer variety.

JoeInky

Also does anyone else still find it annoying that they seem to be using the exact same voice lines as in brawl for certain characters?

Was a bit disappointed to hear falcon say "FALKOUN" again when I was hoping for something a bit different.

georly

Smash 4 has already proven to be pretty fun to watch, and while that could just be because it's brand new, I think it's more because the character play styles are extremely diverse. For everything Smash 4 lacks in terms of competitively favorable mechanics, it makes up for in sheer variety.

It's hard to tell if it's fun to watch because it's new and crazy or if it's just actually going to be fun to watch later on when it's 1v1 in a competitive scene. We'll see once it's released. I hope it is fun to play, fun to watch, and can be deep enough to be competitive. Either way, I think i'll have a good amount of fun with it, especially unlocking everything and discovering everything they've hidden in it.

Also does anyone else still find it annoying that they seem to be using the exact same voice lines as in brawl for certain characters?

Was a bit disappointed to hear falcon say "FALKOUN" again when I was hoping for something a bit different.

Uh.... you were disappointed that his falcon punch was how it should be? Imagine how much worse it could be. It's still fantastic, I'm ok with them keeping it.

I'm personally more annoyed they're reusing the Brawl victory themes for most characters (barring Bowser), but yeah, that's weird too. I'd like to think it'd be changed by the time the game releases, but at this point...?

I just thought of something. If there was potentially 50 or more characters and each has an Amiibo, that would end up costing between 500-750$ to have them all.

Furthermore, how would any store stock all of them at once? I think the only sure fire way to get the one that you want is to buy it online.

It would be crazy to have the whole collection of them.

Agreed.

All this talk of Dark Pit is depressing. If he's just some quick and dirty clone then fine (although I think a palette swap is sufficient). I'd much rather see Medusa or Hades.

Also, it would be really nice to get Dr. Mario as a Mario costume and Ms. Pac-man as a Pac-Man costume. The latter seems especially likely given Sakurai's propensity for allowing the player to choose gender whenever possible this time around. I know my childhood experiences with the franchise definitely involved Ms. Pac-Man way more than Pac-Man. In general, I really like the idea of switching up some character's default costumes enough to include a new character via that method rather than wasting that effort on a clone. Blood Falcon also comes to mind and Capt. Falcon has had a palette swap meant to represent Blood Falcon since the first game. Having the name change to "Blood Falcon" when on that option would make it much cooler though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom