• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeInky

Smash 4 has already proven to be pretty fun to watch, and while that could just be because it's brand new, I think it's more because the character play styles are extremely diverse. For everything Smash 4 lacks in terms of competitively favorable mechanics, it makes up for in sheer variety.

That's just something that happens when everyone is forced to pick a different character.

If a certain character is discovered to have a complete advantage above everyone else, you can believe people will choose that character when in a play to win environment with money on the line.

Most of the fun in the invitational for me was seeing the game for the first time at a tournament that Nintendo was actually hosting with actual pro players playing the game.

But for the most part I was just waiting for the grand finals when we could get to the real meat of the event, and that was a bit soured by the way they handled who won, but still.

Riki

I just thought of something. If there was potentially 50 or more characters and each has an Amiibo, that would end up costing between 500-750$ to have them all.

Furthermore, how would any store stock all of them at once? I think the only sure fire way to get the one that you want is to buy it online.

It would be crazy to have the whole collection of them.
Stores will likely carry popular ones, but to get them all you'd need to go to a specialty shop or online.

10271592_4545718219075_2750337516337306011_n.jpg

Also does anyone else still find it annoying that they seem to be using the exact same voice lines as in brawl for certain characters?

Was a bit disappointed to hear falcon say "FALKOUN" again when I was hoping for something a bit different.

You can't really replace Horikawa and I imagine he has a tough time doing the Falcon voice these days. He's getting up there in age.

Also does anyone else still find it annoying that they seem to be using the exact same voice lines as in brawl for certain characters?

Was a bit disappointed to hear falcon say "FALKOUN" again when I was hoping for something a bit different.

i kinda liked FALKOUN lol it always gave me the whole tokusatsu/jp anime thing when characters use engrish in their finishing moves feel :p

also about the whole other characters being an alt costumes thing: I kinda disagree with having dark pit or ms.pacman as alt costumes tbh like lucina yes they are all similar to the base characters but those characters do have their own personalities and quirks that they dont share.

and from all the alts weve seen so far there has not been any costume that has out right changed a character to be a way different character

the villagers alts still keep him/her as the villager
wft/Mwft keeps them both as wii fit trainers
and robin is still robin female or male

Cse

Banned

Didn't development for this game start in early 2012?

2 years is a fairly short period of development to create an entirely new game. I would presume that's why many of the assets from Brawl (and probably even the engine itself) are being reused.

nerdbot

I disagree.

Tripping was not, in and of itself, the reason why Brawl wasn't taken seriously.

Tripping was definitely THE reason Brawl wasn't taken seriously. It wasn't the only problem Brawl had, it wasn't even the biggest of Brawl's problems, but nothing else was so prominent and so overly negative, nothing else affected the game as poorly and as widely as that. There's deeper, mechanical troubles, but tripping is just there and it's evident to everybody. I think it's fair to say that a lot of players who would have tried to learn the game deeply didn't bother just because tripping is there.

georly

I just thought of something. If there was potentially 50 or more characters and each has an Amiibo, that would end up costing between 500-750$ to have them all.

Furthermore, how would any store stock all of them at once? I think the only sure fire way to get the one that you want is to buy it online.

Stores will likely carry popular ones, but to get them all you'd need to go to a specialty shop or online.

They'll more than likely be released in waves. The ones shown off at E3 will be 'series 1' and then the rest may or may not follow depending on the success of the first couple of series.

I really really doubt they'll make all 50 at once, that would be suicide since a lot of the less popular characters may just sit on store shelves forever. I'm sure they know that most fans can't possibly afford to drop $500-750 all at once for figures. They'll probably draw it over over the period of 12-18 months.

How many skylanders are released at launch? How many more are released before the next game comes out? Does anyone know? I'd probably look to that to see what amiibo release schedule might be like.

JoeInky

Uh.... you were disappointed that his falcon punch was how it should be? Imagine how much worse it could be. It's still fantastic, I'm ok with them keeping it.

I would have actually liked him to sound something like the anime, as bad as that might sound, except with a bit more cockiness in his voice.

He sounds a bit goofy in Brawl but he looks less goofy in 4 imo.

Spinluck

He can fly forever and he uses the weapons I listed before (even though in the game pit can also use them).

I see, hmm, should be interesting.

I didn't really expect them to change final smashes at all but if a priority of theirs was to make veterans feel new and fresh to casual players one way would've been to change their final smashes. But they didn't lol. It's even worse that the new ones that are there are just basically like Link's/Ike's (trigger hitbox attack leading into a cutscene you have no control over with a final blow that has strong KB and damage).

I mean I don't care about final smashes but you'd think they would want to improve on the concept a lot more. =\

It would've been cool for them to update Final Smashes conceptually, but yeah, it is just more of the same.

NotLiquid

It's hard to tell if it's fun to watch because it's new and crazy or if it's just actually going to be fun to watch later on when it's 1v1 in a competitive scene. We'll see once it's released. I hope it is fun to play, fun to watch, and can be deep enough to be competitive. Either way, I think i'll have a good amount of fun with it, especially unlocking everything and discovering everything they've hidden in it.

I'm just speaking for myself here because I know a lot of people will disagree, but I rewatched the Grand Finals of the Smash Invitational recently after the EVO Grand Finals and I was surprised by how fun the game actually looks and holds up. I've been playing a lot of Melee lately due to the EVO hype and it left Brawl with a bit of a lukewarm feeling for me despite me actually liking it, but Smash 4 looks like it's actually legitimately exciting based on the speed and maneuvers... and this is only based on people who don't even have a solid grasp on the change in mechanics yet, using characters that were in Brawl, on a stage that for all intents and purpose is just the same stage in Melee but with a different visual makeover.

I have faith that Smash 4 is going to be a lot more fun to watch than Brawl once we all get a hang of what makes the game click. It's taking those lovely visual details and the content that Brawl used to be a step above Melee, and puts it through a fast-paced filter that's exhilarating and engaging. It's not Melee, but whatever it is, it's exciting.

I would have actually liked him to sound something like the anime, as bad as that might sound, except with a bit more cockiness in his voice.

He sounds a bit goofy in Brawl but he looks less goofy in 4 imo.
I kinda disagree, something seems off about his facial expressions - particularly his mouth - in several images. This one in particular looks really silly to me, and I'm not entirely sure why:

screen-3.jpg

Every time I see this, I mentally seem to imagine his face just ends underneath his lower-lip there, no chin - or at the very least, imagine his neckerchief perpetually covering his chin like this. It looks so silly.

That's just something that happens when everyone is forced to pick a different character.

If a certain character is discovered to have a complete advantage above everyone else, you can believe people will choose that character when in a play to win environment with money on the line.
I'm banking on this game being pretty balanced though. More balanced than both Melee and Brawl. Sakurai did say that he's not against balance patches.

Most of the fun in the invitational for me was seeing the game for the first time at a tournament that Nintendo was actually hosting with actual pro players playing the game.

But for the most part I was just waiting for the grand finals when we could get to the real meat of the event, and that was a bit soured by the way they handled who won, but still.
Although the Grand Finals weren't handled well from a competitive point of view, from a general consumer point of view, a sudden death finale is the perfect outcome.

Been wondering this too. I have no sky landers/Disney infinity knowledge though. How does that work?

JoeInky

I'm banking on this game being pretty balanced though. More balanced than both Melee and Brawl. Sakurai did say that he's not against balance patches.

Although the Grand Finals weren't handled well from a competitive point of view, from a general consumer point of view, a sudden death finale is the perfect outcome.

We'll see how game balance is handled.

I don't think there'll be one outright best character (or maybe I just hope that, I don't think 12 people is enough to properly balance game if sakurai insists on not balancing it by himself), but I do think a lot of the cast will be worthless, so I definitely wouldn't expect as much variety as there was at the invitational.

Also it's not so much the sudden death, it's more the fact that it wasn't atleast Bo3 (or Bo5... or Bo7.. whatever it took to make it so HBox was the winner)

Tripping was definitely THE reason Brawl wasn't taken seriously. It wasn't the only problem Brawl had, it wasn't even the biggest of Brawl's problems, but nothing else was so prominent and so overly negative, nothing else affected the game as poorly and as widely as that. There's deeper, mechanical troubles, but tripping is just there and it's evident to everybody. I think it's fair to say that a lot of players who would have tried to learn the game deeply didn't bother just because tripping is there.

not really, you could've changed a bunch of Brawl's other mechanics while keeping tripping, and at best it'd be considered a minor nuisance

NeonZ

You mean like having the glide mechanics, etc, because Pittoo had superior flight for most of Uprising?

I think it makes more sense to outfit Pittoo with a number of weapons not yet represented by Pit or the items any player can pick up. There are so many awesome weapons in Uprising. I'd love to see Pittoo swing the Ogre Club and hear it roar. :)

I think people are just assuming that if Pittoo ends up as a character, he'd be a clone, not an unique character (If Kid Icarus were getting a third unique character, it should certainly be Hades or Medusa over Dark Pit).

And the Final Smash would definitely need to be different. Wouldn't make sense for Pittoo to use the Three Sacred Treasures.

If he were a clone of Brawl Pit, his final smash would be Pallutena's army, not the Three Sacred Treasures. They'd probably need to reskin it to something else though.

The real question is how do they make him visually distinct from Pit. Change his idle animations? Make his alternate colors different shades of black (like Sonic with the color blue)?

Keep his wings black in all skins. Keep some parts of his outfit black. Maybe change his hair color in different skins while Pit mostly keeps his brown hair.

nerdbot

not really, you could've changed a bunch of Brawl's other mechanics while keeping tripping, and at best it'd be considered a minor nuisance

This is true, but what I mean is, tripping just turned people off so widely that the deeper problems just don't matter.

If you ask some rando about what Brawl's biggest problem was, they'd say "tripping." Few folks want to explore the depths of a game that has something like that in it. If they DID they'd discover all the deeper problems, but tripping is just this big flashing neon sign warning you not to go anywhere near.

It feels weird to say this about Brawl because as an overall video game I think it's leagues better than Melee. As a competitive game, though, hoo boy.

We'll see how game balance is handled.

I don't think there'll be one outright best character (or maybe I just hope that, I don't think 12 people is enough to properly balance game if sakurai insists on not balancing it by himself), but I do think a lot of the cast will be worthless, so I definitely wouldn't expect as much variety as there was at the invitational.
Based on ZeRo's initial tier list, which doesn't really mean much at this point in time, the characters seem balanced so far. 5 top tier characters and 2 low tier (both of whom are probably better than they seem). I haven't really seen anything to suggest that there's a Meta Knight in this game, which people were able to see long before Brawl was released, and there doesn't seem to be a Ganondorf. All of the characters seem to range from good to mediocre.

Neiteio

I think Dark Pit could be a clone, but still have more differences than Lucina vs. Marth. For example, his normals could all be the same, but they could change the weapons he uses for his specials, and their properties.

I think people are just assuming that if Pittoo ends up as a character, he'd be a clone, not an unique character (If Kid Icarus were getting a third unique character, it should certainly be Hades or Medusa over Dark Pit).

If he were a clone of Brawl Pit, his final smash would be Pallutena's army, not the Three Sacred Treasures. They'd probably need to reskin it to something else though.

Keep his wings black in all skins. Keep some parts of his outfit black. Maybe change his hair color in different skins while Pit mostly keeps his brown hair.
I don't think he's a playable character anyway, otherwise why wouldn't they just reveal him in Palutena's trailer like they did with Lucina and Robin? Dark Pit definitely has some kind of role, but I don't think it's as a playable character.

botty

Banned
Odds are Sakurai would want to keep Dark Pit and Pit as similar as possible in order to confuse players as a joke.

"Dark Pit joins the battle! Pit and his clone look very much alike. At times it may be hard to figure out who is who... but that's not my problem."

I don't expect Dark Pitt to be in as a character ... mainly cause he looks exactly like Pitt. Yeah, they could give him different attacks but he still looks exactly like Pitt. Even Doc had at least some visual difference to Mario. I think he's better as an alt outfit personally.

Any more news from Gametus or w/e from the leaker (aka "Smash 4 false prophet")?

Neiteio

I don't expect Dark Pitt to be in as a character ... mainly cause he looks exactly like Pitt. Yeah, they could give him different attacks but he still looks exactly like Pitt. Even Doc had at least some visual difference to Mario. I think he's better as an alt outfit personally.

Any more news from Gametus or w/e from the leaker (aka "Smash 4 false prophet")?
Pit. One 't.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom