• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

Mix

15403146707_6526dc2d49_o.png

Review Thread

Title: Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Platform: Xbox One
Release date: 11.11.14

Metacritic is currently running at an 88 for those interested.

RocketChainsaw: 5/5

Videogamer: score not added due to lack of Multiplayer

IGN: Also a review in progress

Gamespot: and again, a review in progress.

GameSided: 8.5/10

Polygon: 9.5/10

Press-Start: 9/10

CraveOnline: 9.5

Beyond Entertainment: 9.5/10

HardcoreGamer: 5/5

CVG: 9/10

GamesBeat: 91/100

GameInformer: Review in Progress

AusGamers: 8/10

LazyGamer: 8.5/10

Destructoid: 9/10

Xbox Elite Team (Dutch): 9/10

XGN: 9/10

XBOXYGEN: coup de coeur

Gamepod: 90/100

USgamer: 4.5/5

GamerTagRadio: 5/5

If you reviewed the game and I didn't share it here, PM me and I'll be happy to apply it. Doesn't matter what language it's in.

Thank you to VisceralBowl for the banner!

McDougles

I reviewed the single player aspects of Halo: The Master Chief Collection for GameSided. I gave it an 8.5/10.

GameSided said:
Halo: The Master Chief Collection is a must-buy for FPS lovers. Where else are you going to get four games for the price of one, let alone the mainline entries in one of the most famed gaming franchises around? Graphical, audio, functionality and game mode changes have been made for the better. 1080p and 60 FPS play just makes combat that much more surreal. Technical problems do plague performance in odds ways throughout each title, however it is but a sacrifice needed to maximize the amount of games available on disk. It’s easy to heap praise on games cherished by millions; it’s hard to say no when the opportunity arises to revisit those memories once again.

Please note that my review focuses on the total package of single player experiences, although I do note what's going on with Halo 2 Anniversary.

JLeack

Banned
Halo: The Master Chief Collection is an absolutely phenomenal collection. It's dense with content, extremely polished, and such a joy to play. Love it.

Unstable

I'm quite curious to see how reviewers handle this. For a Halo fan this is pretty much the ultimate collection a 10/10 or a 9.5 for the exclusion of Reach and ODST. But for a non Halo fan this collection isn't going to cause an epiphany. So do you add points to your review because of value? Or no?

I honestly don't know what to expect.

Hanmik

The Verge:

At $60, The Master Chief Collection is an easy sell for Xbox One owners. Halo fans will want to pick it up because these are the best versions of all four games to date, with the neat bonus of access to the Halo 5 beta next month. Series newcomers will find this collection the perfect entry point, too, with a ton of content to play on a console that — like the PlayStation 4 — still doesn't have a ton.

"Experience the legend of the Master Chief," reads the title screen. That doesn’t quite ring true to me. Instead, I’d recommend you experience the legend of Halo: how Bungie struck gold with a near-flawless formula in 2001, how that formula led to one of the biggest names in gaming, and how it remains untouchable well over a decade on.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7171681/halo-master-chief-collection-review-xbox-one

I didn´t even know they did reviews lol..

Random17

Looking like high 89s/low 90s Metascore. I'm expecting plenty of 80s because remakes generally get scored lower than new AAA releases.

Just read the Polygon review...

What I appreciate the most about the description of the collection is just how much effort they put into presenting it as a package and polishing them all opposed to just 4 random ports. I can think a few series that I wish could get this sort of treatment. Regardless of the games themselves, as a collection it sounds like it's standard setting.

Rurunaki

So.. anybody curious as to how others have alreasy scored the game yet IGN and Videogamer have yet to score it due to "multiplayer" not being thoroughly tested?

Toki767

It's a nice surprise to see a lot of review sites hold off on their reviews this time until they get to play the multiplayer.

Darranged

Neo Member
So.. anybody curious as to how others have alreasy scored the game yet IGN and Videogamer have yet to score it due to "multiplayer" not being thoroughly tested?

The patch came out early morning on my side here in South Africa, so I was able to download it and spend most of my night grinding away in multiplayer matches. Got to love those timezone differences.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm so ready for this. After Sunset Overdrive, I'm finally using my X1. Going to spend so much time on this game. Stupid question, but do we know if this game uses the impulse triggers? I assume so, since it's a MS game....

Who need reviews for this game ?

Halo fans will buy it, non Halo fans won't....

Of course it will score 9x, 4 very good game for the price of one :)

There will be a lot of reviews in progress: they enabled multiplayer (via the 15 GB patch) just yesterday, and there wasn't the time to test it thoroughly.

Not necessarily. I know a lot of people who jumped on Xbox with Xbox 360, never played Halo 2 (or the entire saga) and are now going to buy it on Xbox One just based on its reputaton.

_woLf

Can't wait to play this online with people again... Halo 2 online sessions were so fun back in the day, I'm super excited that it's almost here.

JLeack

Banned

I played local multiplayer for multiple hours and was fully aware of what the online multiplayer features were.

Who need reviews for this game ?

Of course it will score 9x, 4 very good game for the price of one :)

This is basically my first Halo. I think it's a legendary collection. So, your point isn't true in my case.

McDougles

Seeing how multiplayer matchmaking is still rolling out right now, it really makes no goddamn sense.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have to assume that most score will be perfect or near perfect. I mean, it's a no-brainer: even if some of the individual games (4) weren't as well received as the others (1), the overall package is massive and (apparently) highly polished.

Too bad I don't have any interest on the Xbone, though.

Mononoke

Banned
Seeing how multiplayer matchmaking is still rolling out right now, it really makes no goddamn sense.

Well that is kind of concerning. For a lot of people, multiplayer is the main sell of these titles. Giving them scores without even playing the multiplayer...is kind of crazy. 11/10 though.

EDIT: I guess they can't use matchmaking. So they wouldn't know how it 100% performs. But they can still play it.

jem0208

Well that is kind of concerning. For a lot of people, multiplayer is the main sell of these titles. Giving them scores without even playing the multiplayer...is kind of crazy. 11/10 though.
They can play the multiplayer, they just can't use the matchmaking system.

Top Bottom