• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection | Review Thread

Lucifon

Honestly from a value proposition alone I don't know how anyone could give this less than a 9. And wtf at reviewing only half the game.

This is my thoughts too. The value proposition is insane. I have quite a few buddies who didn't even play 1 and 2 so they're like 2 brand new games to them.

Mononoke

Banned
It does. Impulse Triggers are even in the settings. They sure make firing the guns feel good.

So, impulse triggers work for multiplayer across the board? I guess I should have specified that in my question. I love the campaign modes, but I'll probably be focusing 100% on MP. So if MP 100% supports impulse triggers, this will be freakin amazing.

SlyQuaker

Banned
So, impulse triggers work for multiplayer across the board? I guess I should have specified that in my question. I love the campaign modes, but I'll probably be focusing 100% on MP. So if MP 100% supports impulse triggers, this will be freakin amazing.

Its already been said that you can set the same control scheme across all four games in mp, so impulse triggers will be the same way.

Peterpan

I'm not trying to turn this into console war or something. Its hard to believe this will score less than Last of Us remake. Which it looks like it is going to do from these initial scores. Let me leave it at that, different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

One4U

Banned
We reviewed it in French but we translated the verdict, "plus and down" sides, and also have many videos and comparison screenshots : http://www.gamersyde.com/news_we_reviewed_halo_tmcc-16007_en.html

On the down side

- Slowdowns
- Not as polished as we hoped
- Gameplay may seem a bit too old school to some
- Four games most of us know by heart
- Halo 3 et 4 could have been enhanced graphically
- Checkpoint system is still frustrating (and random) as hell
- The wait for Halo 5

What?

First off, thank you for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate it!

That is both good and bad news. Well, mostly great news. But, I was kind of hoping it supported it completely. At least it's good to know that Halo 2 has them, and that the rest will get patched in.

So I'm really stupid when it comes to how this works. Does MCC have all the multiplayer maps in ONE thing. Or do you boot up each game, then enter multiplayer specific to that game? So impulse triggers would work on Halo 2 multiplayer?

The whole package is "one thing", the original UIs are all gone and 4 (or 5 counting H2A multiplayer) have been condensed into a single system. For Custom matches each game is really just a folder to make it easier to find specific maps, while in matchmaking there will be both game-specific playlists and cross-game playlists. So for example, at launch Team Slayer will include Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, and Halo 3 maps. So when you go to vote, you'll see maps from any of those games, and once a map is voted on it will load straight into that map and its respective game engine.

For campaign it's the same thing. Each game is basically a folder, and there will be new campaign playlists that will group missions from across games based on certain themes. So for example, there's a playlist of the final mission from each game, and after you complete each mission it will load straight into the next. All very cool.

And I'm not sure about Halo 2 classic multiplayer, but Anniversary multiplayer at the very least should support impulse at launch.

Honestly from a value proposition alone I don't know how anyone could give this less than a 9. And wtf at reviewing only half the game.

Absolutely agree. Some of these scores are bottling my mind right now. I think I'm going to make a list of certain sites for research purposes...

derFeef

Hopefully the multiplayer is good, for those who play and love it.
Excited to go through campaign(s) again - maybe with GAF coop :)

le.phat

Well, i'm pretty sure the game reviews differently for fans who stuck to the series for 13 years, and absolute newcomers. The value proposition is only a guaranteed plus for the former crowd, obviously.

On the down side

- Slowdowns
- The wait for Halo 5

What?

I honestly didn't know Halo's checkpoints were "frustrating as hell" to begin with...

Rurunaki

Absolutely agree. Some of these scores are bottling my mind right now. I think I'm going to make a list of certain sites for research purposes...

tumblr_lekqok952v1qbbpaoo1_500.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
I'm quite curious to see how reviewers handle this. For a Halo fan this is pretty much the ultimate collection a 10/10 or a 9.5 for the exclusion of Reach and ODST. But for a non Halo fan this collection isn't going to cause an epiphany. So do you add points to your review because of value? Or no?

I honestly don't know what to expect.

So "I don't like thing", but it always appears to me that games like MCC and TLoU:R (and even GTAV) get the highest aggregate scores a year while winning almost no GOTY awards. Reviewers look at it in value for money and give a positive buying advice. It's back to games as hardware appliances basically. Which is fine, but the same critics also give grades to other games based on their cultural artistic meaning. Which makes it a bit confusing because then remasters should score a lot lower. I guess I'd just like a bit more consistency.

Random17

I honestly didn't know Halo's checkpoints were "frustrating as hell" to begin with...

Yup, this initially confused me. Halo's checkpoint system, especially in Halo 2 and 3, is actually a good balance between having large encounters with difficulty and sending the player back too far.

But after looking at some of the streamers playing the game, I can see why they get frustrated. There are some sections where they get stuck on Heroic difficulty especially, like the end of Metropolis.

Even though getting new checkpoints in those sections are relatively easy, they never seem to hit them and end up getting sent back 2 minutes. At this point they are overcautious and their progress stalls. So I can understand why some people may find it frustrating. This is definitely not on my list of complaints for Halo, though, quite the opposite actually.

Mononoke

Banned
Its already been said that you can set the same control scheme across all four games in mp, so impulse triggers will be the same way.

Awesome. Sorry for the annoying questions. This made my year! So happy. :D
The whole package is "one thing", the original UIs are all gone and 4 (or 5 counting H2A multiplayer) have been condensed into a single system. For Custom matches each game is really just a folder to make it easier to find specific maps, while in matchmaking there will be both game-specific playlists and cross-game playlists. So for example, at launch Team Slayer will include Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, and Halo 3 maps. So when you go to vote, you'll see maps from any of those games, and once a map is voted on it will load straight into that map and its respective game engine.

For campaign it's the same thing. Each game is basically a folder, and there will be new campaign playlists that will group missions from across games based on certain themes. So for example, there's a playlist of the final mission from each game, and after you complete each mission it will load straight into the next. All very cool.

And I'm not sure about Halo 2 classic multiplayer, but Anniversary multiplayer at the very least should support impulse at launch.

Thanks for that. Okay. I'm totally read for this.

Hopefully the multiplayer is good, for those who play and love it.
Excited to go through campaign(s) again - maybe with GAF coop :)

I have Halo 2 friends that I haven't talked to in ages buying the console just to play that. So it could be bad and still be good in my book. I think at 60 fps and 1080p, we'll suffice.

I am a bit bummed about the ranking system only being in Anniversary though. We planned on hopping straight into Halo 2 original. Pumped nonetheless.

OT: Probably been asked before, but is proximity chat still in?

From the Gamesided review:

Each game within the Master Chief Collection has problems running at a 60 FPS in one way or another. Halo 3 seems to fair the best, however it is simply an Xbox 360 game running on the Xbox One. Because of that, it is not nearly as technologically demanding as the other titles, even if it means having human NPC’s with almost octagonal-shaped heads.

No, the biggest problems for me, unfortunately, came in the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign; the game this collection is arguably centered around. The issues are plentiful:

• The reflections of pools of water in certain levels cannot mirror their reflection properly, resulting in massive stuttering.
  • Objects occasionally clip through walls, including a fish swimming through a capsule inconspicuously.
  • The Gravemind level featured especially bad framerate, even bugging out near the end and phantom “rewarding” me with 1,844,575,507,370 points upon completion.
  • Mission 8, Delta Halo, consistently crashed my entire Xbox One system loading the checkpoint right outside the temple (aka, after 90% of the level had been completed). I couldn’t even open up the Xbox One menu; it would eventually hard crash and shut off by itself.
The Day 1 patch offers some critical fixes across the board (including that Delta Halo bug), but it still doesn’t do much for Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. Its troubles lie in the framerate (which is staggeringly bad when travelling in a vehicle and during cutscenes to the point of apparent “chugging” along), but also in odd instances of mixed-up visual efforts. For example, the design of orbital blasts of energy in the Anniversary Edition actually looks less detailed than its 2001 counterpart. They just look like a giant orb of energy, whereas the old edition featured two very distinct balls of energy. What’s even odder is that, at times, the textures on walls or objects in Halo: CE Anniversary look laughably worse than those from the past. Rare do these improvements look worse, but it does happen enough times to question how they got past quality assurance.

Did DF's analysis catch any of that? Sounds pretty disappointing from a technical standpoint :(

Not annoying at all. Impulse triggers are one of my favorite features. So I'm just as psyched as you are.

I really like impulse, but I might wind up disabling just because of how insanely fast they eat up batteries. I lost so many batteries to Destiny, and I really didn't even play it that much. >.<

Mononoke

Banned
Not annoying at all. Impulse triggers are one of my favorite features. So I'm just as psyched as you are.

They really are amazing. Especially for shooters, it really makes the recoil feel great. I was kind of bummed that Advanced Warfare didn't use them. Then I found out, most third party titles don't utilize this feature. Which I can understand. I just wish impulse triggers were easy to implement, because I wish every release had them (or at least the option to turn them on or off). I would honestly pick games on X1 over PS4 for the triggers. No joke. Love them.

Argh FFS.....I knew this would happen!!!

Awesome reviews causing me to buy yet another game but on the bright side I've never played a Halo game before and here I am getting 4 of them.

Mononoke

Banned
Argh FFS.....I knew this would happen!!!

Awesome reviews causing me to buy yet another game but on the bright side I've never played a Halo game before and here I am getting 4 of them.

Well that's kind of amazing. First time ever playing Halo, and now you get all of them at once. Meh god.

Well that's kind of amazing. First time ever playing Halo, and now you get all of them at once. Meh god.
If only someone would have told me when Halo CE came out to wait until I could get them all at a bargain price.

I doubt I'll get an XB1, but if I do, I'll definitely get this collection. I only ever played the first two.

And I'll probably chuck the controller at something when I get to the Library level again.

BouncyFrag

I remember some segments enraging I had to bite through because of checkpoint problems.
Rushing through areas and not killing everything could get your checkpoints out of whack causing frustration and headaches. The first first Halo was also a pain to get going in the right direction at times when cruising on the surface, IIRC.

Random17

They are. They feel random. Worst part of the series.

I'm not sure where this feeling comes from. Checkpoints are very, very predictable once you know what factors affect them. e.g. enemy presence, player movement, whether or not shields are up, player position.

Detective

On the down side

- Slowdowns
- The wait for Halo 5

What?

I second that., WHAT?

Top Bottom