• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 y/o teen shot dead by police in Arkansas while carrying a BB gun

Agreed, it's this as well as the "Why can't they just shoot them in the arm/leg to stop them?" argument that baffles my mind, because in practical use neither would work in the majority of scenarios and all we would end up with is more dead police officers. Imagine if you were a criminal and having this knowledge, you basically get a "free shot" at the police?

Agreed. Where the vest cam or dash cam video? I'm done taking a cops word for a shooting. They haven't earned that. Too much corruption.

Shadybiz

Apparently there isn't, which makes it dodgy as hell for me, basically polices word for everything

Gotcha. Yeah it'll be their word against anyone else's in the matter, so we know how this will turn out. I'm sure we'll find out that he was "no angel," as well.

Mahonay

Banned
Agreed, it's this as well as the "Why can't they just shoot them in the arm/leg to stop them?" argument that baffles my mind, because in practical use neither would work in the majority of scenarios and all we would end up with is more dead police officers.
So dead citizens is ok but dead cops isn't. This argument prioritizes police lives over regular citizens.

Way more citizens are killed by cops that cops killed by citizens. By a significant margin. And often times cops are not punished for negligent shootings. The penalty for shooting a cop is extremely heavy and usually means a target on your head.

It's not equal in both directions, in any way.

Tackle him? If you were required to tackle gun welding suspects before shooting them who the fuck would sign up to be a police officer in America? It's a paying job just like any other. They shouldn't have to needlessly put their lives on the line just because some joe schmoe who knows nothing about police training and procedure is upset a kid got killed.

I can't fucking handle this post what the god damn hell, how does anybody treat, and I quote, *****a kid got killed**** as anything but a serious god damn deal?

R0ckman

I would like a more in depth review of police trainings that isnt based on speculation. Would be nice to maybe even get media documentation in the hiring process. Something doesnt seem right.

I had a close friend I use to work with in college who in a slight alternate timeline I no doubt would be married to, very strong willed wonderful woman, she was in training to be a cop, she got through school and the training and noped the hell out of the entire thing after that. It made me wonder what was going on but I never thought about it seriously until now.

Agreed. Where the vest cam or dash cam video? I'm done taking a cops word for a shooting. They haven't earned that. Too much corruption.

Absolutely, I am sure from a budget standpoint getting all police body cams, plus accounting for maintenance and storage is a total nightmare, especially when those budgets are getting more slashed by the day, but this needs to happen somehow.

So dead citizens is ok but dead cops isn't. This argument prioritizes police lives over regular citizens.

Way more citizens are killed by cops that cops killed by citizens. By a significant margin. And often times cops are not punished for negligent shootings. The penalty for shooting a cop is extremely heavy and usually means a target on your head.

It's not equal in both directions, in any way.

No it doesn't, that argument simply says that either the "don't shoot unless shot at first" and "shoot to disarm" scenarios will not work, at all.

Yes, police are not punished enough for negligent shootings, but if those two practices were put into place, it puts more power in the hands of the criminals.

I would like a more in depth review of police trainings that isnt based on speculation. Would be nice to maybe even get media documentation in the hiring process. Something doesnt seem right.

Also, is the training different depending on the station/county/city/state/etc? Are areas where these shootings are not out of control have anything to do with the quality of the training or hiring process?

MUnited83

For you.
Agreed, it's this as well as the "Why can't they just shoot them in the arm/leg to stop them?" argument that baffles my mind, because in practical use neither would work in the majority of scenarios and all we would end up with is more dead police officers. Imagine if you were a criminal and having this knowledge, you basically get a "free shot" at the police?

Yet it seems to work fine in first world countries where the police is decent and not a bunch of dimwits with 6 months of terrible training.

R0ckman

Absolutely, I am sure from a budget standpoint getting all police body cams, plus accounting for maintenance and storage is a total nightmare, especially when those budgets are getting more slashed by the day, but this needs to happen somehow.

No it doesn't, that argument simply says that either the "don't shoot unless shot at first" and "shoot to disarm" scenarios will not work, at all.

Yes, police are not punished enough for negligent shootings, but if those two practices were put into place, it puts more power in the hands of the criminals.

How is crime in places like China, where police can be put to death for corruption and F ups?

theWB27

Bad to you, sure. You're welcome to your opinion. I'm not likening human beings to dogs, I just used dogs as an example because you brought animals into the discussion. Putting someone down just has a different meaning to you, that's fine. Nothing else to discuss about it really.

Bullshit... when people say to put something down there's no wiggle room that refers to an animal. The only time that refers to a human is when you view that human as no better than an animal.. or beneath you. You said that in your post. Then to try and skirt around it like people with an ounce of intelligence couldn't see that.

This is that transparency i mentioned a page back...

Shadybiz

I had a close friend I use to work with in college who in a slight alternate timeline I no doubt would be married to, very strong willed wonderful woman, she was in training to be a cop, she got through school and the training and noped the hell out of the entire thing after that. It made me wonder what was going on but I never thought about it seriously until now.

Bolded would be the reason.

They want you following orders. They don't want you to be smart; being smart means that you may question how things are done:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

Ponn

Banned
Bad to you, sure. You're welcome to your opinion. I'm not likening human beings to dogs, I just used dogs as an example because you brought animals into the discussion. Putting someone down just has a different meaning to you, that's fine. Nothing else to discuss about it really.

Oh, so you will agree those ranchers that took over that station and threatened people with guns were like dogs and should have been put down?

Yet it seems to work fine in first world countries where the police is decent and not a bunch of dimwits with 6 months of terrible training.

But do the citizens of any other first-world country have anywhere near the firepower that American citizens have? Not trying to justify, but there is a vast difference between the US and the rest, so it makes it difficult to compare. Would other countries be in the same boat as America if guns were as easy to acquire?

Shoot perfectly in the back of someone's head? No problem. Shoot in the leg to disable? Impossible.

If a weapon is fired, it's with intent to kill. There's no disabling shot in police training. That's why using your gun is supposed to be an absolute last resort.

NoName999

*White WOMAN, an adult, lies about being raped by black men*

"We'll she's mentally ill. She doesn't need prison. She needs help

*Black BOY, a child, with a mental illness to boot, dies from getting shot in the back of the head*

"He should have complied. It's not the cops fault. He needed to be put down like a dog"

FUCKING SERIOUSLY, GUYS?

Some of you should just flatout admit that you're a bigot already and save us the trouble.

Sunster

I mean, y'all remember when a bunch of armed to the teeth Patriots stormed a ranger station and took it over, looting priceless native artifacts, destroying shit setting up barricades and threatening to shoot anyone who came near?

And they were there for like a month and even made grocery store nuns without getting nabbed? And reporters were let in so they spew bullshit on national TV, and the sherrif met with them and shook hands?

And in the end one guy shot at cops so they killed him, but the rest were just allow to leave and those arrested were aquitted of all charges?

Imagine if a group of black dudes did that.

bombed. immediately. 0 survivors. and if a group of brown guys did that we'd have a presidential address the next day. "Our nation...is under attack" then bombed. 0 survivors.

Zertez

If you read more to the full story from the news sources that were paraphrased in the Miami Herald article, there is several videos from eye witnesses that have made the rounds on social media, alledegly the kid was threatening to shoot someone at the center, the cops were on the scene for several minutes before they shot him, and the cops opened fire when he started waving the gun around. Arksansas State troopers are handling the case so hopefully a real investigation is done and the families get the answers they desperately want.

Derwind

Calling the police to deal with a mental health issue is trouble. Calling the police to deal with a black mentally ill child is a death warrant.

Future

If you read more to the full story from the news sources that were paraphrased in the Miami Herald article, there is several videos from eye witnesses that have made the rounds on social media, alledegly the kid was threatening to shoot someone at the center, the cops were on the scene for several minutes before they shot him, and the cops opened fire when he started waving the gun around. Arksansas State troopers are handling the case so hopefully a real investigation is done and the families get the answers they desperately want.

Yeah. The headline alone might paint the wrong picture. If you have someone threatening lives with an actual gun, judgement calls will be made as risking the publics or cops life will never be an option. This ain't law an order where you'll always have the worlds greatest cop putting their gun down and walking into danger to save this kid

theWB27

Yeah. The headline alone might paint the wrong picture. If you have someone threatening lives with an actual gun, judgement calls will be made as risking the publics or cops life will never be an option. This ain't law an order where you'll always have the worlds greatest cop putting their gun down and walking into danger to save this kid

That's an indictment on law enforcement's quality than anything. For a profession that's so important the bar to be one is quite low. I have to go to school to prove to people I can work a computer but people get handed a badge and gun much quicker.

cordy

Banned
Yeah. Considering that this isn't getting more attention here compared to the club shooting that happened last month which is still being talked about. Still horrible however.

Derwind

So there's just simply a disproportionate amount bad judgement calls against POC?

Those same terrible judgement calls that put a greater risk on the lives of certain demographics of the public already?

Maybe that's the issue.

It doesn't help when the general population in the US does their very best to justify these Police related killings, every god damn time.

people like crazepharmacist and bumblebeetuna are the reason why the thugs in blue get away with murder.

Snarky❤;244925664 said:
So how come cops are able to talk down and arrest white people with guns, but with black people they have to shoot first?

the police are a white supremacist organization and started out as such. their roots start at the slave catchers before the civil war.

Nevasleep

Calling the police to deal with a mental health issue is trouble.
The police tend to respond to violent or aggressive mental health issues (in my country).

Shooting someone in the back of the head shouldn't happen, unless the guy was literally pointing the gun at someone.

Not disturbing at all. A dog doesn't need to be put down. A dog with rabies that is biting people, yeah, please put that dog down.

I have no issues with police shooting first if someone is acting aggressive with a deadly weapon. Which in this case, they could have been. Sadly it's just as likely they were just too trigger happy going in.

Disgusting.

And hopefully we can end this nonsense about "didn't even have to read the article to know the victim was black". Yeah, I didn't either. Because it was posted on GAF.

Was there a meeting y'all had to keep posting that white people being shot by police isn't talked about on GAF? Revealing yourselves, boy...

Oh, look..

Not disturbing at all. A dog doesn't need to be put down. A dog with rabies that is biting people, yeah, please put that dog down.

Amazing..not surprising..

Verelios

I'm glad that we're past coded language as a nation. Tell us how you really feel.

Beefy

I have no issues with police shooting first if someone is acting aggressive with a deadly weapon. Which in this case, they could have been. Sadly it's just as likely they were just too trigger happy going in.

You just described a black kid getting killed to a dog getting put down, that is some fucked up shit.

(Tries not to get banned)

RinsFury

A 16 black teenager is a dog that needed to be put down, huh? I feel sick after reading this thread.

Mahonay

Banned

A 16 black teenager is a dog that needed to be put down, huh? I feel sick after reading this thread.
And yet we have people here lately that will swear up and down that it's the liberals and progressives on GAF that are the problem.

No. Not when these kind of posts still exist.

slit

Dang.

e: Actually number is wrong, or at least has risen since the article was written.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

y76iU2R.png

Interesting site though. Not sure of the data accuracy but the filters are useful.

What's scary is that seems low to me. I would have thought a higher number.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
What trips me out is.....how in the fuck do people, especially COPS believe that of ALL ethnicities....BLACK people would PURPOSELY act aggressively 90% of the time there is a confrontation?? As much as HISTORICALLY we've been fucked off by law enforcement, its a KNOWN thing in the black community and growing up that going against the police is most assuredly a DEATH SENTENCE.

Its always either:

- "He/she lunged at me"

- "He/she pointed a weapon at me"

- "He/she was reaching for something"

- "He/she was holding something"

And some of y'all believe this excuse EVERY time!!

Now I know in that unmentioned 10%..that is for the nuts that actually decide to attack and act aggressively with a weapon but those situations are few and far between for black people. But damn, imma need these cops to stop assuming that EVERY black person that they confront is ready and willing to attack..like who is just wanting to throw they life away like that?? Cause that is EXACTLY what that is if one of us so much as moves a muscle wrong or in a "threatening manner"

Mahonay

Banned
[QUOTE="D";244927633]What trips me out is.....how in the fuck do people, especially COPS believe that of ALL ethnicities....BLACK people would PURPOSELY act aggressively 90% of the time there is a confrontation?? As much as HISTORICALLY we've been fucked off by law enforcement, its a KNOWN thing in the black community and growing up that going against the police is most assuredly a DEATH SENTENCE.

Its always either:

- "He/she lunged at me"

- "He/she pointed a weapon at me"

- "He/she was reaching for something"

- "He/she was holding something"

And some of y'all believe this excuse EVERY time!!

Now I know in that unmentioned 10%..that is for the nuts that actually decide to attack and act aggressively with a weapon but those situations are few and far between for black people. But damn, imma need these cops to stop assuming that EVERY black person that they confront is ready and willing to attack[/QUOTE]
All these cops must just be suffering from economic anxiety.

Syder

I don't even know where to start... JFC, dude...

Your country is scary as hell to me and I'm not even a POC.

Sephzilla

What the fuck

andthebeatgoeson

So just to paint a picture, suspect is walking towards a community center holding what looks like a gun and is not complying with your request to put the gun down. What do you do? Let him walk into the building and shoot the place up?
All these pictures and you paint the one that's the scariest. Is this guy, in this hypothetical picture, a teleporter? How did he get so far away without the cop intervening? You can't follow him? Wait for him to raise a gun? Make a verbal threat? Call for back up?

These stupid hypotheticals always involve the cop ceasing to exist, obtaining more information and making second by second decisions. He supposed to reassess at every point. We shouldn't shoot people in the back of the head because they suggests he wasn't doing anything directly at the cop. He could have been running away and running is not a threat.

Me and my friends got BB guns when we were 16 and went outside to play. Cop flew down the street in an unmarked car threw the car door open with his gun out and screamed to get on the ground. We did and luckily lived to tell the tale. He called for backup and there were 4 co-op cars there soon. The took our BB guns (CO2 rifles as they described it) and let us go. This was 20 years ago before the internet. No matter how innocent our intentions no way I'd do that today with all these crazy cop stories out. I'm sure it happened back then too but we just didn't hear about it. Thinking back at it we were sadly lucky.

If he had a gun pointed at the cops how'd he get shot in the back of the head? Did the cops ninja jump over his head, and then shoot him?

If it looks and smells like bullshit, it's probably bullshit.

If he had a gun pointed at the cops how'd he get shot in the back of the head? Did the cops ninja jump over his head, and then shoot him?

If it looks and smells like bullshit, it's probably bullshit.

That's what I'm saying. Personally I think they did the same shit they did to Tamir Rice. Rolled up and shot immediately. No warning. Just this time there's no video to catch them lying. Of course that didn't make a difference then either.

Top Bottom