• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Microsoft E3 Conference

How many shirts will Phil Spencer wear?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ushay

I much prefer the way MS announced games here that are coming this year. Although presenting games that are coming next year can be a great thing if done right I'm talking about Horizon from Sony's conference.. they presented it excellently imo.

With Gamescom in mind I think MS are on a roll here. If what they say is true and they have an equal number of announces in August then we're in for a treat. Quantum Break, Crackdown, Scalebound, Phantom Dust and whatever else they have in the pipeline. Friggin amazing time to be a gamer. Truly amazing.

Why are people saying MS is announcing games for this year. Recore, Sea of Theives, Gears not to mention Scalebound and Crackdown aren't coming out this year, they have a Rare collection, Halo 5 and a Gears remake.

Sydle

and if you think Sea of Thieves will release before 2017 you're going to be disappointed.

It's targeted for Holiday 2016. This is the generation of delays, so maybe you're right, but I hope you're wrong.

Why are people saying MS is announcing games for this year. Recore, Sea of Theives, Gears not to mention Scalebound and Crackdown aren't coming out this year, they have a Rare collection, Halo 5 and a Gears remake.

They spent a good deal of time on what's coming out this year. Gears remaster, Halo 5, Forza 6, Rare Replay, Fable Legends, Gigantic, and Tomb Raider. They also had EA announce Titanfall is joining EA Access and Dragon Age Inquisition will be in the vault later this year. Can't remember what indies they announced for this year.

They also announced the new controller, backwards compatibility, and the preview program for this year.

Viper3

Well to be honest, Sony had bare announcements for anything to come out this year at E3 besides the obvious third party stuff. That looks really poor that they had no substantial things for 2015, as the year continues, while Microsoft showed some must buys only 2 months away with the Rare Collection and Gears at E3. The Sony conference for 2015 was boring.

Calling the Rare Collection as a must buy is quite a stretch. I mean for a lot of people here on Gaf it is a must buy, but it's not a mainstream "must have" by any stretch of the imagination.

Hype is subjective. How it goes up, down, climax or deflate is all subjective to the person receiving the information. To say it will exactly go down by October 27th is subjective and mostly false.

Gamescon August 5th through the 9th. Summer is about over so spreading out their 3 big games + more is better than in October when Holiday Games are already releasing.

Paris Games Week October 28th through Nov 1...
Errm, Halo 5 launches for Xbox One on the 27th so everyone knows how much of a PR/Marketing onslaught this will be.

Anyway good luck. lol

That wont have any effect on ps4 announcements especially outside the US. I Ps4 price cut then will over shadow halo, and don't think ps4 needs any luck? Not sure what you meant by that.

Calling the Rare Collection as a must buy is quite a stretch. I mean for a lot of people here on Gaf it is a must buy, but it's not a mainstream "must have" by any stretch of the imagination.

IDK Its been pretty high on the amazon uk bestsellers list.

I think your underestimating the appeal a bit

Leflus

I think your underestimating the appeal a bit
I wonder how they're going to promote Rare Replay when it comes out. They have a huge chance to prey on people's nostalgia with it.

(In this particular case I don't mind being preyed upon! The price is crazy good)

Euron

It's targeted for Holiday 2016. This is the generation of delays, so maybe you're right, but I hope you're wrong.
Rare's games have been getting delayed since the 90s. This is their first MMO. More games have been getting delayed than ever this gen. I would be really surprised if it releases earlier than 2017.

Forza 6, and Tomb Raider.. not my intention to start an argument, but, what does Sony have in store for this fall? any exclusive big enough to counter those?

panda-zebra

Banned

It's going to do well at £20 or less for 30 titles, absolutely no doubt. Just be careful with Amazon's charts. Amazon itself is just one retailer and they only track a small window of sales in the current sales chart (and it's not 100% clear how they might be weighted). For an example of how misleading that chart can be, afaict for the month of June so far, the title has not yet broken into the top 100 (but it will soon enough and is currently beating Gears Ultimate quite handily in these recent sales).

wig

Forza 6, and Tomb Raider.. not my intention to start an argument, but, what does Sony have in store for this fall? any exclusive big enough to counter those?
Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection with UC4 beta. Until Dawn is released in August as well but who knows how well that will do critically/commercially.

It's going to do well at £20 or less for 30 titles, absolutely no doubt. Just be careful with Amazon's charts. Amazon itself is just one retailer and they only track a small window of sales in the current sales chart (and it's not 100% clear how they might be weighted). For an example of how misleading that chart can be, afaict for the month of June so far, the title has not yet broken into the top 100 (but it will soon enough and is currently beating Gears Ultimate quite handily in these recent sales).

Oh god dont worry, i saw the NPR thread when the Xbox One won last month so I know its dicey. But I think its fair to keep in mind that people are intersted in it.

I wonder how they're going to promote Rare Replay when it comes out. They have a huge chance to prey on people's nostalgia with it.

(In this particular case I don't mind being preyed upon! The price is crazy good)

Start with Conker blowing up the screen and then flash each game...thirty seconds, thirty titles...all yours for £30...

Hubble

IMO I think both Sony and Microsoft's conference was even and a 9 out of 10. Microsoft has to be congratulated for undertaking a massive BC effort that is huge and awesome. Combining both libraries is a big deal. I know people who have valuable digital titles on 360 that will eventually carry over to their Xbox One from The Walking Dead to finish the season on the Xbox One to Shadow Complex, Call of Duty digitally, etc. Sony for its involvement in games that fans have asked for years and have been difficult to develop. Microsoft offered a better immediate conference for showing its offerings in 2015, for example, I am loving that Rare Collection (Conker!) and it is E3 2015, not E3 2016, while Sony's E3 looked barren for 2015, but its mega surprises definitely helped offset that. Even Greg and Colin offered negative thouguts about the lack of PS4 games in 2015.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, I don't like the fact that we only saw Halo 5 and Tomb Raider single player campaign gameplay for the first time, at this E3, only a few months before either games actual release dates. To me that generally indicates that the games may have been behind in development, or not ready to be shown any earlier. Sometimes it all works out and the game still ends up being awesome despite a very late initial showing (e.g. Bloodborne), but other times the opposite is true (Little Big Planet 3). Hopefully Halo 5 and Tomb Raider end up having highly polished and competent campaigns, and the late SP reveals mean little to nothing.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, we only just saw Forza 6 gameplay for the first time this E3 as well. They definitely should have given these game more screen time last E3. I would have even preferred them over the slew of CGI trailers from games not releasing for ages (Crackdown, Scalebound etc), though in an ideal world we'd get both.

Miles X

They announced they have 7 exclusives coming out this fall/holiday

Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears Ultimate
Rare Replay
Falbe Legends
Unannounced

Vs
Uncharted Collection
Persona 5

VinFTW

On a side note, I don't like the fact that we only saw Halo 5 and Tomb Raider single player campaign gameplay for the first time, at this E3, only a few months before either games actual release dates. To me that generally indicates that the games may have been behind in development, or not ready to be shown any earlier. Sometimes it all works out and the game still ends up being awesome despite a very late initial showing (e.g. Bloodborne), but other times the opposite is true (Little Big Planet 3). Hopefully Halo 5 and Tomb Raider end up having highly polished and competent campaigns, and the late SP reveals mean little to nothing.

lol, concern noted

Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears Ultimate
Rare Replay
Falbe Legends
Unannounced

Vs
Uncharted Collection
Persona 5

What's this about an unannounced game? Source?

Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears Ultimate
Rare Replay
Falbe Legends
Unannounced

Vs
Uncharted Collection
Persona 5

This is literally ignoring so many games, it's ridiculous. But I'm curious about the Unannounced game, what's up with that?

Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears Ultimate
Rare Replay
Falbe Legends
Unannounced

Vs
Uncharted Collection
Persona 5

So why are you ignoring most of ps4s games:
GOW III remaster
Until Dawn
Dragion Quest heroes,
tomorrow children
UC collection
Tearaway
Persona 5
FF14 Heavenward.
Disgaea
Godzilla
Planetside 2

They already released:

Bloodborne
MLB the show
Helldivers
The order

sony has more games for 2015 period. And have released 4 already while MS has launched ZERO.

I am missing some too.

Ridiculous lopsided list.

They have a ps4....they don't need to counter anything? Multiplats sell a tonne of consoles this holiday, but ps4 has a lot of exclusives as well, but why does only holiday count now? A few months later we get UC4 and ratchet and clank. Don't count cause not holidays?

Well to be honest, Sony had bare announcements for anything to come out this year at E3 besides the obvious third party stuff. That looks really poor that they had no substantial things for 2015, as the year continues, while Microsoft showed some must buys only 2 months away with the Rare Collection and Gears at E3. The Sony conference for 2015 was boring.

MS never showed anything new for the holiday, the games they have coming 2015 they have shown since 2013 e3..If you can explain a good reason games only matter when they come out the holiday season, I will agree with you, not one person has been able to do that however, what has MS released all year? Nothing now that is boring. Looking at the e3 poll, most don;t agree sony's conference was boring. Sony already has the best rated exclusive this year in bloodborne, does that disappear if it doesn't launch in oct or dec? A few months after the holidays we get UC4 and ratchet and clank. Holidays will be dominated by third parties and ps4 will easily outsell the competition, they will be ok.

The gears collection is 1 game, how is that must buy? A collection of old rare games? That would mean 3 uncharted games is a must buy no?

Tumeke NZ

Banned
Thought I stumbled into some p@rn site with all the dick measuring going on in here... Give the lists a rest guys.
Some people love Xbox exclusives and some love Sony exclusives. Stop trying to push your preference onto others like its fact

CLEEK

This gen has shown that most PS4/XB1 owners have their consoles to buy and play the big annual franchises. Exclusives are a nice market differentiator, and the buzz from E3 helps sway potential new console owners.

But it's a certainty the biggest games for the end of the year, on both XB1 and PS4, will the same things as the last couple of years. COD BLOPS III, Assassins Creed, and hell, even Taken King DLC. All games that have content exclusive stuff on PS4.

As for 2015 exclusives, No Mans Sky will get a lot of press, but I can't see it setting sales records. Uncharted Collection will be their big exclusive, just like Halo MCC was the main XB1 exclusive last year. But sales of those won't beat the multi format franchises by a long shot.

Thought I stumbled into some p@rn site with all the dick measuring going on in here... Give the lists a rest guys.
Some people love Xbox exclusives and some love Sony exclusives. Stop trying to push your preference onto others like its fact

This. Pretty much everyone here are biased, so little good comes from all this measuring. Just be happy with what you have (lol).

Yeah you are missing a lot from sony's show like street fighter 5, No mans sky, firewatch, World of Final Fantasy to name a few., your list is biased as hell. why am I not surprised, so yes no objectivity. MS 1 new IP was just CGI..Halo they have been showing since 2013....another gears and another forza..ugh. Release dates have zero to do with how good a conference showing is, most of MS games like Halo, and TR have been shown at 3 straight e3's, YAWN, and the gameplay was underwhelming for all 3 halo, gears and TR. UC and Horizon are among the best that was shown at e3 easily.

You are also ignoring the impact of each announcement, Sony had big surprises, they people were really hyped about for years, most what MS showed was safe and known.

Your argument is also full of inconsistencies. You say we can;t get excited for games a couple years out, when was crackdown, halo 5, tomb raider revealed first? Halo 5 2013, Tr 2013, Crackdown 2014...all 2 years at least before launch. Did you say the same about them? You cannot downplay the significance of announcing fan fiction games that people thought were never happening because "It's not going to be out for awhile".

Haha, great counter. Totally exposed him for the biased fan boy he is. Hat's off to you, sir.

Jigorath

Banned

Forza 6
Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears Ultimate
Rare Replay
Falbe Legends
Unannounced

Vs
Uncharted Collection
Persona 5

What's this about an unannounced game? And you're missing a lot of PS4 titles like Until Dawn, Tales of Zestiria, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tearaway Unfolded, etc.

Welfare

What's this about an unannounced game? And you're missing a lot of PS4 titles like Until Dawn, Tales of Zestiria, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tearaway Unfolded, etc.

I think they said there is a new IP for holiday this year, and there was none at E3. I'm trying to find a source for it, but I do remember reading about that.

Hi everyone.

I own a pc, Wii U, xb1, and ps4 for this gen.

I liked the MS conference and the Sony conference, and to me they felt way different from one another which is great.

I do prefer Xbox and I play all my multi plats on my XB1.

I do disagree with people trying to write off B.C. I mean, come on. Ubisoft and bethesda are already including 360 games in their upcoming releases.

Ishan

IMO ms had a great conference and has a stacked 2015/early 2016 ... An yes 3rd party sells argument could be made both ways ...

I've never played a ff game or a team ico game or a shenmue ... But I know those were super important for ppl ... Sony blew this e3 apart ... I personally loved what I saw of horizon and uc4 ...

Having said that ms had a great conference 9.5/10 was not expecting sony to top it ... Ms would have won any other year this year sony just hit 11/10 somehow . No shame in losing to what could be and probably is top 3 e3 conference all time probably top 1

etta

my hard graphic balls
No point starting a list war.

What people love at e3 is the unknown. The problem Ms had is almost everything was already known.

Ms had a solid show but really the biggest announcement was bc. And that turn out to be limited bc.

Sony announce thing people didn't know about and have ask years for. Even if you don't care about them at all you still have to respect the announcement. They are huge deal to a lot of people. Just look at the reactions.
Well of course most of their titles were known because they are actually releasing this year, unlike Sony's. Big budgetted games unfortunately cannot have a first reveal at E3 and release the same year, they need to create hype many months or even years in advance. There were fewer surprise titles than at Sony, but just because they are known doesn't make them any less great. Xbox has seven potentially strong titles, judging by their franchise, this year, and only two were surprise announcements.

Conduit

Banned
Any objectivity?

Sony
Shenmue 3(Kickstarter) - no release date, development just started and it's most likely 2017+.
FF7 - no release date, PS4 first and rumblings of 2018 or longer.
The Last Guardian - 2016, honestly a niche title but my interest in it shouldn't sway its importance.
Dreams - Didn't show anything that looked like a... game? Also 2016.
Horizon Zero Dawn - Easily my favorite thing at their conference but also 2016.
COD - DLC first on PS4 and beta first on PS4, this is a great catch for some stuff for 2015.
Uncharted 4 demo - Honestly didn't enjoy the constant framerate issues but looked great graphically, again 2016.

Microsoft
Halo 5 Guardians - First real gameplay of campaign and an awesome new multiplayer mode for 2015 and on-stage demo.
Backwards Compatibility - The day of!
Forza Motorsport 6 - First gameplay and some great announcements for the series for 2015.
Fable Legends - new boss shown and pretty updated graphics from past showings for 2015.
Rise of the Tomb Raider - Awesome demo and coming this year! :D
Recore - Great to see a new franchise announced but a 2016 title with no gameplay.
Rare Replay - 30 games for $30 and in August! Yes Please :)!
Gears Ultimate Edition - 19 multiplayer maps, completely remastered experience and coming this summer, again another awesome title.
Sea of Thieves - This looked really interesting but tis a 2016 title.
Gears 4 - Jaw dropping graphics(watch the gamersyde video) for being over a year out and I loved the dark horror direction, 2016 D:.

Microsoft announced two new exclusives for this year and they showed off three new games coming this year with gameplay for the first time.

If it's my opinion...

Why are you guys not allowing me to have it?

I'm sorry but Sony announcing two games that aren't coming out for two more years... is not exciting for me; no matter what franchise they belong to.

Little quote :

You mean like:

Halo 5 - announced June 2013; releasing November 2015
Quantum Break - announced May 2013; releasing early 2016
Cuphead - announced June 2014; releasing 2016
Below - announced June 2013; releasing ???
Crackdown - announced June 2014; releasing ??? (probably 2017)
Scalebound - announced June 2014; releasing ??? (probably 2016)
Phantom Dust - announced June 2014; apparently not cancelled; releasing ???
Sea of Thieves - announced June 2015; releasing probably 2017
Fable Legends - announced August 2013; releasing September 2015

This kind of thing, right? Because I see from your posts that you favour MS, but let's not pretend that they're not at least as guilty of this as Sony is.

Ape

Banned
If I'm sony I'd never want to get into a list war with MS again due to backwards compatibility. There's literally a hundred games added to the list this year, that destroys Sony in sheer numbers. No one in their right mind has said that MS hasn't curb stomped Sony in quality, but now MS is winning in numbers too.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If I'm sony I'd never want to get into a list war with MS again due to backwards compatibility. There's literally a hundred games added to the list this year, that destroys Sony in sheer numbers. No one in their right mind has said that MS hasn't curb stomped Sony in quality, but now MS is winning in numbers too.

The new dashboard along with backwards compatibility was the climax for me. I have been waiting for an Xbox One OS that was not built with the cloud and Kinect in mind, meaning now it can be fast and as snappy as the PS4 one. The design of it is so slick, and along with Cortana contextual speech and natural discussion, and the wealth of other features already implemented in the Xbox One, this just blew my mind. Cannot wait to pop Forza and Fallout in and see beautiful artwork on the slick new UI.
The backwards compatibilty is another huge feature for me. Red Read Redemption, and Modern Warfare 1 and 2 will be a godsend this holiday, I miss playing a good Call of Duty on Christmas morning with a bunch of friends.

DjRalford

I still have no need to get an Xbox One at the moment, as i have a gaming PC, PS4 & WiiU, but i really do think Phil Spencer is taking the system in a good direction and laying foundations on all fronts.

They had a solid conference and showed people why they should invest in their console this year, as opposed to Sony who showed everyone what they could be playing next year and beyond, hopefully it pays off for them and they have a good holiday season again.

Good conference, BC has made me very happy.

But it just doesn't make sense to me that MS would lie on stage and say a game like Sea of Thieves is an Xbox One Exclusive when it isn't.

aravuus

Wow, that's.. Really quite something.

A_Gorilla

Banned

see this is why I love E3, you get to see everyone's true colors.

GVA1987

On stage they say that it is an Xbox One exclusive, as did other intros for games like Halo 5 and Forza 6.

But it isn't an exclusive as Sea of Thieves is on Windows as well.

Haven't you heard? 'Console exclusive' is the same thing now. They're all doing it! Woohoo! What an exciting time to be alive! /s

In all seriousness imho the more people who get to play these games the better.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
So I caught up and watched this. I don't get why people say that this is exceptional. This was a well-produced good show with little-to-no surprises.

Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, game by Japanese developer and software update seems to be their tried and true formula. They should challenge themselves to do something else. All they are doing is convincing the convinced. No one who isn't already sold on the Xbox brand is going to look at what they announced and go "now is the time to jump in". It's just the same as last year and the year before that.

Recore looks fun but another CG trailer is a CG trailer and Phantom Dust is a good indication of where these things could go.

So I caught up and watched this. I don't get why people say that this is exceptional. This was a well-produced good show with little-to-no surprises.

Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, game by Japanese developer and software update seems to be their tried and true formula. They should challenge themselves to do something else. All they are doing is convincing the convinced. No one who isn't already sold on the Xbox brand is going to look at what they announced and go "now is the time to jump in". It's just the same as last year and the year before that.

Recore looks fun but another CG trailer is a CG trailer and Phantom Dust is a good indication of where these things could go.

Thats not really true, in fact its kind of the opposite really.

This conference was specifically for people who have not bought an Xbox, or have not become invested in the Xbox (console and windows).

In terms of a brief overview: This conferemce had
  • A Look at Microsofts Core exclusives - Basically an update on the reliable brands and where they are headed
  • A look at what services you have when buying an XBox One eg EA Access
  • Intersting new games that are comming out (such as Sea of Theives and ReCore)
  • New accessories to convince Pro Players
  • An extremely important demostarion on the importance of HoloLens (which is less about Xbox and more important in terms of convincing people to become committed to Microsofts prodcuts in general)
  • A focus on building a strong 2015 Portfolio, as well as begining to address the future
  • Collections and Remasters to draw on nostalgia (Such as the Rare Collection featuring N64 games)
  • Finally Backwards Compatability. This is the most important aspect, because it smoothes over any attempted transition to the Xbox One from the 360, is a great PR coup and also works if someone had primarily been, say, a Playstation or Wii gamer all their life then they will now have access to all the exclusives (which are now cheap) that they missed last gen

Yes there was some familiar stuff, but there needed to be. This E3 was above all else a presentation on What the Xbox One currently is, why you should buy now or why you could buy it later.

Plus Backwards compatibility and Hololens were both major surprises.

Top Bottom