• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

223k NES Mini sold in December (NA)

Between this and the Mario 3Ds deal NoA needs to be gutted and rebuilt or have someone sent there to straighten them out. I don't buy he narrative every one of their moves comes from Japan.

UCBooties

This actually shows part of the reason why Nintendo went conservative. Clearly there was a narrow window and if they over produced or had too many production lines going it would have cost them because consumers are obviously short attention spanned with this product. Could Nintendo have sold more? Yes. Could they also have lost more money? I think these types of posts also show yes.

Or people soured on it because its too much of a pain in the ass to even try to get one. But no, Nintendo definitely made the smart play here...

Or people soured on it because its too much of a pain in the ass to even try to get one. But no, Nintendo definitely made the smart play here...

That makes them still super wishy washy on buying the product. When the iPhone was super huge, scarcity didn't suddenly make them no longer want it after the initial availability. How quickly people lost interest and how small the window was to sell these things shows it's not so simple as just to dump 2 million units in the market and reap the benefits.

I didn't say they made the smart play here; I said they made an understandable conservative play here. A lot of people lost interest after Christmas. Having a huge surplus of stock after Christmas could have hurt the profit gains that they got by doing so. I'm not saying they couldn't have made more money, but sometimes it's better to not make as much than it is to be too risky.

etking

Banned
It did not pay off and it wasn't artificial. Nintendo could have sold a million units easily. In Europe, even today the system is still sold out everywhere. Investors will not be happy because in finance the goal is to make as much money as possible as fast as possible and sell a product while it is hot and in demand. Creating artificial rarity only makes sense if you you plan to raise the price of a product, else it has a negative effect because a lot of potential revenue is lost.

Nintendo needs to perform much better and more professional market research, to prevent such false and costly demand estimations. Also the current hack increases demand because it makes the product much more interesting and changes the rating from 'boring' to 'must buy' in many cases.

Matticers

223,000? How? It felt like there was 223 total units available in December.

Nintendo really screwed up with this little system. They could've easily sold a million of these before Christmas. The only good thing to come out of this is that it should guarantee a SNES mini within the next year or two.

Came here to see the "Nintendo fucked up" posts and I was not disappointed. So if I'm reading this correctly, Nintendo was able to provide a second shipment of units above the number of their initial shipment and it still wasn't enough? Hot damn!

Obviously we don't know the full story here, but I can't imagine their original plan was to ship almost half a million units to NA alone. But wait, sorry... I mean that they clearly should have produced 4 times their initial shipment! How dumb of them!

I guess this means that if the initial shipment of Switch consoles sells out, Nintendo should produce 4 million units per month going forward.

StarVigil

The industry always complains about the money they lost because of piracy. But one might argue that Nintendo lost more sales by not selling/ supplying the product.

ggx2ac

It did not pay off and it wasn't artificial. Nintendo could have sold a million units easily. In Europe, even today the system is still sold out everywhere. Investors will not be happy because in finance the goal is to make as much money as possible as fast as possible and sell a product while it is hot and in demand. Creating artificial rarity only makes sense if you you plan to raise the price of a product, else it has a negative effect because a lot of potential revenue is lost.

Nintendo needs to perform much better and more professional market research, to prevent such false and costly demand estimations. Also the current hack increases demand because it makes the product much more interesting and changes the rating from 'boring' to 'must buy' in many cases.

I even said in the OP that the thread title was sarcasm in case it was too subtle for people to see the obvious...

Although I noticed now the thread title has been edited. Oh well

If I were Nintendo, I would be starting production of an SNES mini for Fall 2017 yesterday.

Then, include with each SNES mini, a code to make all the games available on Nintendo Switch Virtual Console.

And honestly, same dealio for N64.

Is this good or bad?

I hope Nintendo makes an SNES classic hopefully not removing what makes it possible to hack the NES classic.

I'm glad it's messy because that will speed the inevitable and superior SNES Classic - although that system will be FAR more reliant on 3rd party games for true greatness. Here's my list though:

1. SMW
2. Zelda: LTTP
3. Whatever the good Street Fighter was
4. Konami shooter - let's say Axelay for shits n giggles
5. Actraiser
6. The good Castevania
7. A Capcom shooter
8. Some sort of RPG for nerds
9. Starfox
10. Oh shit, Mario Kart. What was I thinking.

11. HOW DID I FORGET SUPER METROID

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars would be a worthy RPG to add. And I would proudly wave the nerd banner. I would get it day one!

Who am I kidding, it may have limited shipments for months. I may never get one. This is Nintendo we are talking about.

I am just kidding btw for anyone quick to anger.

Hopefully the strong sales encourage Nintendo to keep focusing on the nostalgic retro market and seriously consider a SNES Mini.

Also Sega need to get on this shit. A Genesis Mini could sell hundreds of thousands.

Tubie

This is such an impulse buy for me, but I'm sure I'll buy one without thinking as soon as I see one in stores or Amazon.

rezn0r

If I were Nintendo, I would be starting production of an SNES mini for Fall 2017 yesterday.

Then, include with each SNES mini, a code to make all the games available on Nintendo Switch Virtual Console.

And honestly, same dealio for N64.

It all makes too much sense. It'd never work.

Zalman

Every now and then I check my go-to websites to see if they received any stock. Still hasn't happened. I haven't even seen one in stores yet. I'm not actually convinced this thing exists.

Rembrandt

Banned
Still fucking nuts to me. But shout out to Nintendo for discovering additional revenue streams.

They would probably sell better if the ability to swap out preloaded roms was officially supported.

Also Sega need to get on this shit. A Genesis Mini could sell hundreds of thousands.

Maybe tens of thousands. Or just thousands.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You work for Nintendo.

Brutal.

Actually, true story, I saw Super Metroid months before it was revealed - in a personal demo from Gunpei Yokoi and Shigeru Miyamoto in Nintendo HQ, in Kyoto - and it was the greatest gaming moment of my life at the time.

Top Bottom