• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K teasing Advent on Twitter. BioShock? XCOM? New IP? [Up: Looking like XCOM]

Sijil

Don't you dare DARE break my dreams!

System Shock IP is in legal hell, between EA and some insurance company, it was a wonder they ever managed to get it up on Steam. I can fully expect a successor, but sadly Shodan's story seems to be going nowhere for the time being.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
New Firaxis dealie? XCOM 2? Isn't Ken Levine doing some scifi thing?

MattyG

Banned
Something weird I noticed about the pamphlet;

The red letters in the chemical compound that the scientist is writing aren't a part of the picture. They're separate letters photoshopped in, and you can highlight them individually. So either they have some secret function, or they took a stock "scientist writing compound" picture and had to have the compound be a very specific one. I'm guessing that if someone can identify what that compound is, it might tell us something about the type of stuff people are having spliced into them (if it's Bioshock, maybe a hint at a new type of plasmid?).

If I had to guess at a title (assuming it's Bioshock), it'll probably be something like Bioshock: Advent. I'm sure there's some double meaning they could fit into the story with that.

CHC

It seems to be a company who builds city centers and also offers gene therapy to its inhabitants.

Jesus no more Bioshock please.... The premise is so tired, as is the faux-meaningful writing.

A modern day Bioshock?

Avengertumblr_mhoix1jGJ21qlhhx4o1_250_zpsbedc2996.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looks a LOT like a Bioshock game to me. Either way, art is nice.

What has 2K Marin been up to lately?

Shut down, along with Irrational, 2K Prague, and 2K Australia (aka Irrational Australia).

2K's remaining studios are Firaxis, 2K Novato (they were rumored to take over Mafia, though Strauss implied they might do BioShock eventually as well), and a 15-20 person studio lead by Ken Levine. They also have sports studios and a partnership with Gearbox and Turtle Rock.

2K is the branch tweeting this so it's presumably not Rockstar.

Based on the url structure, I'd say the game is called Advent Future. All the images are hosted under downloads.2kgames.com/adventfuture/images/imagename.png or something similar that starts with downloads.2kgames.com/adventfuture

Edit: Hidden logo at the bottom of page:

logo_footer.png

FelipeMGM

I just hope this is not something related do Sid Meier's games, even though they are cool, we need either a new Bioshock or new IP

I was betting on a new IP, but the focus on gene modification does sound very BioShock-y. Big closed off utopian city, filled with genetic monsters, class warfare, and rebell freedom fighters?

Just waiting for something called "The Lighthouse" to appear in the fiction, and that's a confirmation.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Shut down, along with Irrational, 2K Prague, and 2K Australia (aka Irrational Australia).

2K's remaining studios are Firaxis, 2K Novato (they were rumored to take over Mafia, though Strauss implied they might do BioShock eventually as well), and a 15-20 person studio lead by Ken Levine. They also have sports studios and a partnership with Gearbox and Turtle Rock.

2K is the branch tweeting this so it's presumably not Rockstar.

Was it ever said who the new Bioshock team would be? I remember it was supposed to be Marin but if they're shut down then I have no idea aside from Novato.

It's definitely the ripe time for an announcement of some sort, provided the series hasn't been temporarily shelved.

Is this futuristic Bioshock? The themes sure sound like it and we know 2K is continuing the Bioshock franchise, they said so themselves.

Sign me up for Biofuture I'm down

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Was it ever said who the new Bioshock team would be? I remember it was supposed to be Marin but if they're shut down then I have no idea aside from Novato.

2K Novato (now Hangar 13) is located in Marin county in California, so it's possible when he said "It will be made by our Marin studio." he didn't mean 2K Marin, but rather Hangar 13.

The issue is that this doesn't entirely match up with what we thought Hangar 13 was doing.

Here are some of their job postings:

Mission Designer

Let's talk some truth: Making games is hard. It's a collision of art and technology that’s about as predictable as a tornado. There's no secret formula, no foolproof blueprint—but it certainly helps to have a reason for making games in the first place. "Every Player's Story is Unique." At Hangar 13, that's why we make games. We’re currently creating an intense action game set in an immersive world and with a strong narrative, but player agency is at the heart of everything we do. We want to give players the freedom to choose how to overcome challenges and make meaningful decisions that shape the world and characters around them.

https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=GAMES2K&cws=1&rid=842
Experience developing for games, preferably action, FPS or 3PS titles.

https://chc.tbe.taleo.net/chc04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=GAMES2K&cws=1&rid=748

Mission designers is a job posting for open world type games to note.

MattyG

Banned
Sorry, I just edited my post to include them.
Hmmm, interesting. Gearbox is working on that game they announced a while back, Turtle Rock is still doing Evolve stuff, Firaxis is doing Civ:BE expansions (and maybe an XCOM:EW follow up), and I'm 99% positive this isn't Mafia.

So either Novato isn't working on Mafia and is on this, it's a studio that doesn't typically work with 2K, or it's a new 2K studio. My bet would be on Novato having moved to Bioshock after Irrational shut down, and this is that project. Or maybe this is a new IP (but I doubt that).

Well, I'm going to put a guess down for it being the XCOM reboot series's equivalent of XCOM: Apocalypse. This Advent City idea seems similar to the whole idea behind Mega Primus.

XCOM: Advent Future?

Ramenman

Please tell me it's a bioshockesque new IP and that's what Hangar 13 is making and they're not at all making mafia 3.

Steel

Banned
Could be BioShock, could be XCOM. Honestly, I think it could be something related to Civ Beyond Earth as well, although that's a greater stretch.

Yeah, probably not at all related to beyond earth. For starters there was a link earlier that showed earth. Probably not Xcom related, as it's talking about genetics not aliens, could be bioshock related but it doesn't look like that type of style, besides the angle of the pictures make it look like a sim. As I said earlier, my guess is mobile cyberpunk city-builder with timers and IAP, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, probably not at all related to beyond earth. For starters there was a link earlier that showed earth. Probably not Xcom related, as it's talking about genetics not aliens, could be bioshock related but it doesn't look like that type of style, besides the angle of the pictures make it look like a sim. As I said earlier, my guess is mobile cyberpunk city-builder with timers and IAP, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Job postings suggest an open world game

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't a Bioshock game have been outsourced to another developer outside 2K?

Or it's Ken Levine's game, and it's a small game.

Since the first three all had there own themes:

Bioshock - Objectivism
Bioshock 2 - Communism
Bioshock Infinite - American Exceptionalism

If this is Bioshock, maybe the theme this time is going to be something like transhumanism or neohumanisum. It would certainly be a cool direction for them to go in.

MattyG

Banned
I don't think the angle of the concept art means much, they're probably just trying to show the game's setting off. Can't see 2K doing something like this just before E3 for a mobile game.

That bit from the medicine post makes it sound A LOT like Bioshock:

Our citizens no longer fear the diseases and disabilities that plagued past generations. A complex and cutting edge system of DNA Splicing has led to cures, not only for the viruses and infections that for millenia haunted us, but for mental illnesses as well. Come discover an illness free world with us.

I wouldn't mind a new modern and 'next' gen take on Bioshock. Coming from 2K, this sounds very promising..HYPED!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the angle of the concept art means much, they're probably just trying to show the game's setting off. Can't see 2K doing something like this just before E3 for a mobile game.

Maybe a Civ game?

ThatGuy

Well Jake Solomon (Lead Designer of XCOM) is working for two years now on a new unannounced project. The XCOM Addon was developed by another team within Firaxis.

Hope it's bioshock, would like to see something like this. Although I would like to see more of a retro vision for the future ultimately

Steel

Banned

Well, if you're right I'll be pleasantly surprised. But it's not just the angle that's got me, take a look at this picture for a moment:

Concept art generally keeps proportions of objects normalized, but note how gigantic the cars are compared to the statues. I suppose that doesn't eliminate an Xcom game though.

"Protected 24 hours a day by Advent forces"? IDK about you, but that sounds like the idea of an alien threat outside the city.

As for genetics... I raise you...

Meld!

Didn't see the protected bit. Hmm... It's a possibility, keeping my expectations low though.

Top Bottom