• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K teasing Advent on Twitter. BioShock? XCOM? New IP? [Up: Looking like XCOM]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmmm, interesting. Gearbox is working on that game they announced a while back, Turtle Rock is still doing Evolve stuff, Firaxis is doing Civ:BE expansions (and maybe an XCOM:EW follow up), and I'm 99% positive this isn't Mafia.

So either Novato isn't working on Mafia and is on this, it's a studio that doesn't typically work with 2K, or it's a new 2K studio. My bet would be on Novato having moved to Bioshock after Irrational shut down, and this is that project. Or maybe this is a new IP (but I doubt that).

I'll put out what might sound a bit stupid (since the process flow sounds bonkers to me), but feel Take-Two is crazy enough to have done:
-So we know that Mafia 3 was originally by 2K Prague and was aiming for the PS4/XB1 launch.
-After 2K Prague couldn't get it out the door, the studio was shut down and the game was moved to 2K Novato/Hangar 13 with a similar launch period (or you know, maybe one year in).
-However, I think they may have decided to can the game (the first two did 5 million combined, it likely wasn't going places too), but still had all the game's technology left over, and still needed someone to helm the much more successful BioShock series. It's stated the series would be made by a Marin studio as well, which is where Hangar 13 is located.
-As such, Hangar 13 took the series and turned it into an open world game with all the types of things you'd expect in an open world game (vehicles, missions, etc).

It does sound like BioShock.

But BioShock narrative without Ken Levine?

Better? Worse?

I love both BioShock 1 and BioShock Infinite, but don't really care for BioShock 2.

I don't want more BioShock 2. But I want more BioShock 1.

I am torn.

I'll put out what might sound a bit stupid (since the process flow sounds bonkers to me), but feel Take-Two is crazy enough to have done:
-So we know that Mafia 3 was originally by 2K Prague and was aiming for the PS4/XB1 launch.
-After 2K Prague couldn't get it out the door, the studio was shut down and the game was moved to 2K Novato/Hangar 13 with a similar launch period (or you know, maybe one year in).
-However, I think they may have decided to can the game, but still had all the game's technology left over, and still needed someone to helm the much more successful BioShock series.
-As such, Hangar 13 took the series and turned it into an open world game with all the types of things you'd expect in an open world game (vehicles, missions, etc).

Are you forgetting 2K Brno? Surely they could be doing Mafia based on their role on the second game and the movement of their resources to there from Prague?

Or are we near certain Hangar 13 were doing it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are you forgetting 2K Brno? Surely they could be doing Mafia based on their role on the second game and the movement of their resources to there from Prague?

Or are we near certain Hangar 13 are doing it?

I think 2K Brno was shut down eventually too. They haven't had job postings in years upon years.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, that original FPS remake all MIB style looked way cooler than the shitty third person strategy X-Com thing that came out.

I was on board for day 1 when that shit got shown. It had style even when everyone shit on it. They should bring that back.

Steel

Banned
It does sound like BioShock.

But BioShock narrative without Ken Levine?

Better? Worse?

I love both BioShock 1 and BioShock Infinite, but don't really care for BioShock 2.

I don't want more BioShock 2. But I want more BioShock 1.

I am torn.

Seeing how what made bioshock 2 less of a narrative was the fact that it was simply continuing where 1 left off rather than the writing being incompetent, a story with its own line would likely be better. I really really doubt this is bioshock related though.

Red Hood

Banned
This screen gives me a somewhat (very zoomed out) isometric vibe. Which means I wouldn't like it. But I'd be happily proven wrong.

x1isfXJ.png

Seeing how what made bioshock 2 less of a narrative was the fact that it was simply continuing where 1 left off rather than the writing being incompetent, a story with its own line would likely be better. I really really doubt this is bioshock related though.

You're probably right. It's just weird to see a horror(?) game being teased about an ideological city and genetic manipulation. From 2K, nonetheless.

I think 2K Brno was shut down eventually too. They haven't had job postings in years upon years.

http://www.2kczech.com/about2kczech/jobs.html

Is that old? It isn't part of the main job thing, but we should have heard about it.

There's nothing about them being shut that I can find on Google.. and it would explain the situation - Hangar 13 could be doing whatever this is, 2K Marin doing Bioshock and Brno doing Mafia? Wouldn't it fit - we'd have heard if it was cancelled, surely?

This being Bioshock makes a lot of sense imo

1. 2K flat out said they are continuing the franchise
2. We are due for a new one. Its been a couple years since Infinite
3. The marketing mentions both "cities" and DNA Splicing
4. It has a new "theme" for the location. Rapture was underwater, Columbia in the sky, this in the future.

Though the biggest issue is who would be making it? What studio could even be working on something as big as Bioshock right now?

I don't get the feeling this would be XCOM 2, but I could be wrong, since XCOM: EU literally came out of fucking nowhere after 2K got dogpiled for the XCOM shooter game. The concept art's aesthetic doesn't seem to fit what I'd expect as a logical progression of XCOM's universe unless it's literally redoing Apocalypse's plot.

MattyG

Banned
This is still nagging at me. Why are these letters photoshopped in and red?! It's got to mean something if they went through the trouble of doing this instead of just leaving what was written there in the stock photo they used.

N
Co
V
O

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
http://www.2kczech.com/about2kczech/jobs.html

Is that old? It isn't part of the main job thing, but we should have heard about it.

There's nothing about them being shut that I can find on Google.. and it would explain the situation - Hangar 13 could be doing whatever this is, 2K Marin doing Bioshock and Brno doing Mafia? Wouldn't it fit - we'd have heard if it was cancelled, surely?
Huh, it lists XB1/PS4 so it's probably new. For some reason it's not on the publisher's job site as a whole (every other studio is listed there), but these seem like newer job postings.

I think you've solved the mystery.

Hangar 13:
-While rumors strongly point to them having had Mafia 3 at some point, they likely moved off the project quickly. This would not be unprecedented, because for example, Irrational Games originally had XCOM before handing it off.

2K Brno:
-Now the sole developer of Mafia 3.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'll be quite surprised if this is a new IP. Has to be Bioshock related in some fashion. Hoping it's some sort of Cyberpunk Bioshock. Fuck me, that would be glorious!

Huh, it lists XB1/PS4 so it's probably new. For some reason it's not on the publisher's job site as a whole (every other studio is listed there), but these seem like newer job postings.

I think you've solved the mystery.

Hangar 13:
-While rumors strongly point to them having had Mafia 3 at some point, they likely moved off the project quickly. This would not be unprecedented, because for example, Irrational Games originally had XCOM before handing it off.

2K Brno:
-Now the sole developer of Mafia 3.
I'm glad I'm not going crazy - I was fairly sure there was nothing on Brno's death so I just assumed they were doing Mafia - people mentioning other studios always confused me.

It'll be interesting to see if this is right, hopefully we'll hear about Mafia at some point.. that game has a weird development process which is at this point seemingly typical of the series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm glad I'm not going crazy - I was fairly sure there was nothing on Brno's death so I just assumed they were doing Mafia - people mentioning other studios always confused me.

It'll be interesting to see if this is right, hopefully we'll hear about Mafia at some point.. that game has a weird development process which is at this point seemingly typical of the series.

Here's where the original confusion comes from.

1.) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-10-2k-czech-restructuring-mafia-3-moving-to-us

2.) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750353

Steel

Banned
Ken Levine did say that the canceled BioShock Vita project was an isometric tactics game. Let's pretend it's that.

Oh god, just hurt me a bit by mentioning that. Really wish it had come out. But no, Levine went into detail about how it was going to be a "before the fall of rapture" story where it covers the civil war in it, IIRC.

And to add to what I was saying; all of those jobs are Brno which suggests it is at least a site active since the death of the Prague studio - mystery solved.

Orayn

Looking forward to Bioshock Advanced Warfare where Gruff Whiteman realizes that the good guys or himself were actually bad all along... IN THE FUTURE!

My fragile game-playing mind may not be ready to experience such a dramatic twist again.

Vinc

It's not BioShock. It's not BioShock.

If it's BioShock, I'm going to scream like a little girl.

Seriously.

I can barely contain myself right now.

I'm trying.

Bioshock with a space city... can you guys even... I can't even... yes please.

I do remember that thinking about it. The Twitter post is much more convincing - the movement of resources doesn't necessarily mean the moving of a games development, it could just be shifts from one place to another and one project to another as a result.

The fact that they buffed up Brno on account of the closure is something to mention - it was the smaller studio before so it is a strange move in my mind.

It probably changed hands twice in that case as he is usually pretty reliable.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe, but that would kind of cannibalize Beyond Earth and Beyond Earth Expansion sales.

Yeah, big maybe. Doubt it too.

PSY・S;165143832 said:
BioShock-Vita.jpg

ayy lmao

I'm still so freaking bitter about his.

That number 2... Wonder who's the studio head now.

Cities of tomorrow, protected and exclusive, promisiong a "fresh start" much like Rapture did, DNA splicing to cure illnesses and disabilities...if this isn't Bioshock I'd be shocked.

And oh ya, get it in my veins now.

CHC

I hate how if it's Bioshock I'm gonna claim to not want to buy it then I'm gonna buy it, kinda like it, and then go back to disliking it after a couple weeks. Happens every time.

Cities of tomorrow, protected and exclusive, promisiong a "fresh start" much like Rapture did, DNA splicing to cure illnesses and disabilities...if this isn't Bioshock I'd be shocked.

And oh ya, get it in my veins now.

Same here. I will be surprised at this point if its not Bioshock and also yes, sign me the hell up as well

My one honest concern with this being BioShock, is that the past two really went out of their way to have unique, innovative visual styles. The decadent horror of Rapture, the Disneyland-esque madness of Columbia... and the generic cyperpunk visage of Advent?

I'm sure it'll look nice and shiny inside, with plenty of mutants bouncing about - but still, BioShock is typically defined by a visual identity, which this teaser has none of.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Since the first three all had there own themes:

Bioshock - Objectivism
Bioshock 2 - Communism
Bioshock Infinite - American Exceptionalism

If this is Bioshock, maybe the theme this time is going to be something like transhumanism or neohumanisum. It would certainly be a cool direction for them to go in.

Transhumanism would allow them to explain deaths properly, when you respawn, your body from your last death remains lying around, you just inhabit a new body

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I really hope is a new Bioshock.
But I'm not prepared for a futuristic Bioshock.
Just let Levine do the script, PLEASE !

My one honest concern with this being BioShock, is that the past two really went out of their way to have unique, innovative visual styles. The decadent horror of Rapture, the Disneyland-esque madness of Columbia... and the generic cyperpunk visage of Advent?

I'm sure it'll look nice and shiny inside, with plenty of mutants bouncing about - but still, BioShock is typically defined by a visual identity, which this teaser has none of.

This is just teaser art. I agree a huge component of Bioshock is its visual style, and if this is Bioshock I'm sure it will have its own twist. I doubt it will be just pretty, clean future city

Top Bottom