• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Industries' Josh Holmes explains design decisions in Halo 5

Filling your screen with a scope might be more "realistic", but it absolutely damages visual clarity, which was a signature of Halo's combat design. I realize a lot of people love having a scope in their face, but it's simply not Halo.
They're actually breaking immersion/lore by having the scope come up like that aren't they? But a reason I don't actually mind the narrowed vision here is that it could just be a way of balancing that viewpoint.

Also, this "Arena" distinction worries me.
Whats the worry? Halo will probably have bigger modes with a mix of infantry and vehicles. Arena sounds like it'd just be Spartans.

I'm curious what "Empire" means though.

People who keep mentioning that Halo fans are clingy to 2/3 are really missing the point huh?

If 343 wants to make changes to Halo, be my guest. In fact, you can see it in the many posts regarding the several changes to the gameplay. Some are accepted more then others but there are a few that are universally hated.

Sprint and ADS aren't moving the series forward or doing anything meaningful for the Halo gameplay, they are strictly in their to pander to the CoD crowd.

For example, I'm okay with something like the thruster pack for increased mobility around the map given that its balance properly. But Sprint and ADS? Nope.

h2MTcl9.png

God.....the "make it more accessible" nonsense returns... AGAIN.
Worked so good for games like Dead Space, etc.
Some people never learn.

This, so much!

Magwik

Banned
So quick question for everyone who thinks that Halo "needs to evolve", do you also think that Smash needs to evolve and be more like every fighting game on the market?

JaggedSac

Sprint has been in since Reach, give it the fuck up guys. You aren't changing anything. Move on to some other game. You aren't getting the game only "true" Halo fans such as yourself want. Just convince yourself that the game is title Shmalo: Guardians and ignore it.

If 343 wants to make changes to Halo, be my guest. In fact, you can see it in the many posts regarding the several changes to the gameplay. Some are accepted more then others but there are a few that are universally hated.
Sprint isn't universally hated tho.

So quick question for everyone who thinks that Halo "needs to evolve", do you also think that Smash needs to evolve and be more like every fighting game on the market?
One of the best reasons for Halo to evolve is to allow 343 some creative freedom. They tried some stuff in Halo 4, got a fuckton of feedback about going way too far, and have since reined in a bunch of things while trying some others. Let them try and get it right, but it will never be Bungie's Halo, and hell, another Bungie Halo wouldn't be a "true" Halo either. There are as many true Halos as there have been games released, and there are as many types of fans as there are game modes across the series.

People who keep mentioning that Halo fans are clingy to 2/3 are really missing the point huh?

Sprint and ADS aren't moving the series forward or doing anything meaningful for the Halo gameplay, they are strictly in their to pander to the CoD crowd.

For example, I'm okay with something like the thruster pack for increased mobility around the map given that its balance properly. But Sprint and ADS? Nope.

You're ok with the thruster pack but not sprint?

And if scope for all guns and sprint isn't adding anything to halo, it's certainly not making it worse. So what's the problem? You don't have to use either of those things.

FyreWulff

Sprint predates Halo. It's not evolving, it's co-opting the ruleset from another game to try and appeal to an audience when Halo already had it's own audience.

Same shit happened to other games that co-opted Halo's two weapons and regen in an attempt to peel off some Halo players. It was silly in both directions.

I mean hell, this game has sprint:

perfectdark-us.jpg

And both Call of Duty and Halo have a control scheme directly based off of it (Legacy)

But at some point gamers and the press alike for some reason want all the FPSes to homogenize instead of playing to their strengths and staying in their sub-genres.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

And if scope for all guns and sprint isn't adding anything to halo, it's certainly not making it worse. So what's the problem? You don't have to use either of those things.

Except they are making it worse. Just read any of the posts in this thread about how Sprint negatively affects gameplay and the comparison between the classic scope and the new one.

Somebody at 343 needs to clarify about this smg spread stuff. If it really does have reduced spread while ads then 343 really doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

The complaints regarding ADS have been mentioned repeatedly. It is hardly a case of don't use it because zoom is kinda important to ranged combat.

just tray

Banned
Sprint is a good gameplay mechanic especially after replaying levels on MCC in the older games and getting lost.

As long as Halo is fun I do not mind the inclusion of sprint. All 343 has to do is deliver a worthy sequel and have a perfect balance between new and old. The graphics better be top of the line, campaign better not be short, the story has to draw you in, new vegicles and campaign missions and maps made with an emphasis on vehicles, solid playlists, killer sound, solid gameplay. In other words just release a worthy sequel to Halo.

We want to see new enemies,vehicles,and weapons. Please to not copy and paste weapons and if you are going to use the enemies that you used in Halo 4 at least make them interesting.

Oh yeah, I prefer the English speaking aliens as opposed to the alien chatter. It gave the enemies a unique personality that to this day is not present in 99 percent of current FPS games. Or at least give us the option to toggle between spoken languages.

Except they are making it worse. Just read any of the posts in this thread about how Sprint negatively affects gameplay and the comparison between the classic scope and the new one.

The complaints regarding ADS have been mentioned repeatedly. It is hardly a case of don't use it because zoom is kinda important to ranged combat.

Watch any of the ready up live videos to see how you don't need to be scoped in when playing H5 if your a half decent player.

Watch any of the ready up live videos to see how you don't need to be scoped in when playing H5 if your a half decent player.

So basically you are bad if you scope. Reminds me of "hardscope noob" from CoD.
I played H4 and used the scopes, sitrec showed people scoping in to kill me. I imagine people will scope in again to kill me at varying ranges, people of varying skill.

So basically you are bad if you scope. Reminds me of "hardscope noob" from CoD.
I played H4 and used the scopes, sitrec showed people scoping in to kill me. I imagine people will scope in again to kill me at varying ranges, people of varying skill.

You are validating my point that you have the choice to use it or not. If it helps, use it, if it doesn't, don't use it.

RSB

Banned
But at some point gamers and the press alike for some reason want all the FPSes to homogenize instead of playing to their strengths and staying in their sub-genres.
Yep, I'll never understand why some people want every game to play the same. More diversity please, less homogenization.

There's already plenty of "run or gun" shooters, Halo didn't need to turn into one by adding sprint. And yet, here we are...

There's a pretty big difference between Sprint and Thruster Pack. Thurster pack doesn't affect map design as extensively as Sprint does. And Sprint and ADS do make Halo worse.

I was mainly highlighting an addition that is more inline with what 343 can do to "evolve" the series rather then copy from the big seller.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

You didn't say why you think Sprint doesn't negatively affect gameplay.

Just because it's not going to be used as much doesn't mean it's not a bad change. It blocks your screen more than classic zoom does, so when you do use it, it does have an negative effect on the game.

On the surface it seems like something that just lets players traverse the map more quickly, but it really isn't. Maps have to be larger to compensate for Sprint, so the time it takes to get from one end of a map to another is still pretty much the same. However, due to the larger maps, players have to choose between mobility and combat if they want to get around in a timely manner. Sprint doesn't benefit gameplay at all, it only destroys it.

I'm a bit confused as to the issue with larger maps. Maybe I'm wrong but Halo does have vehicles right so how is a game with maps designed around that going to be any worse when you add sprinting?

There's a pretty big difference between Sprint and Thruster Pack. Thurster pack doesn't affect map design as extensively as Sprint does. And Sprint and ADS do make Halo worse.

I was mainly highlighting an addition that is more inline with what 343 can do to "evolve" the series rather then copy from the big seller.

I would argue that thruster pack affects gameplay and map design more because you have people thrusting into cover and out of gun fights. And don't get me started on the ground pound. That is definitely not halo.

You didn't say why you think Sprint doesn't negatively affect gameplay.

Just because it's not going to be used as much doesn't mean it's not a bad change. It blocks your screen more than classic zoom does, so when you do use it, it does have an negative effect on the game.

Sprint doesn't negatively affect gameplay it's simply an option to get from A to B quicker. As I said, watch the ready up live video.

the reason why I'm stating these things is because people tend to get ahead of themselves and proclaim halo dead, without having played the beta first. Once I play the beta, if I find these things to be annoying and hinder my halo experience, then I'll voice my opinion too.

I would argue that thruster pack affects gameplay and map design more because you have people thrusting into cover and out of gun fights. And don't get me started on the ground pound. That is definitely not halo.

Sprint doesn't negatively affect gameplay it's simply an option to get from A to B quicker. As I said, watch the ready up live video.

the reason why I'm stating these things is because people tend to get ahead of themselves and proclaim halo dead, without having played the beta first. Once I play the beta, if I find these things to be annoying and hinder my halo experience, then I'll voice my opinion too.

Sprint requires larger maps to accommodate for itself. Which could easily be replaced by higher base movement speed. Thurster pack is more oriented for combat. But hey, if you're saying Thurster pack is as bad as Sprint, I'll take your word for it and ask that both not be in the game.

Seems to be a ridiciulous justification for a gameplay element. If a gameplay element improves the game, that's all you need, not this shite about "in canon they can do X...".

But I don't think anything will change. Even if the multiplayer yet again dies after a few weeks when the game launches, the 343i defense force will say that it's because Halo hasn't evolved enough, and 343i will get a fat stack of cash to churn out the next game in the franchise. Not because the people involved have no idea how to make a Halo game, and/or want to chase after the CoD crowd.

It's no coincidence that the Halo gameplay turned to shit when people outside the series got their hands on it. Sage Merrill was hired from outside Bungie to be Reach's Sandbox lead after Jaime Griesemer left (compared to the well received ODST where I think Lars was in charge?). 343i's stewardship... do I even need to comment?

It's a real shame that the MCC collection launch was such a clusterfuck, because that could have provided some solid proof that 343i have got it all wrong. Even if and when all the bugs are fixed, the chance has gone, and a lot will never come back.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'm a bit confused as to the issue with larger maps. Maybe I'm wrong but Halo does have vehicles right so how is a game with maps designed around that going to be any worse when you add sprinting?

Only larger maps for larger team sizes are designed for vehicular combat. They would still have to be extended to compensate. Ragnarok in Halo 4 was tiny for BTB because of how easily it is to Sprint across the map.

Figments

Sprint requires larger maps to accommodate for itself. Which could easily be replaced by higher base movement speed. Thurster pack is more oriented for combat. But hey, if you're saying Thurster pack is as bad as Sprint, I'll take your word for it and ask that both not be in the game.

Wouldn't faster movement speed also mandate bigger maps?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I keep thinking you, and others, are saying that spring is bad because it makes maps bigger.

And that's the sad thing about it

Everyone wants it to 'evolve' but only in the sense that it's like every other modern fps

Do people think that 343i will change or remove sprint/ADS/thruster pack if there is enough negative feedback from the beta?

I get the feeling that they will tweak minor things but not any of those gameplay elements.

Do people think that 343i will change or remove sprint/ADS/thruster pack if there is enough negative feedback from the beta?

I get the feeling that they will tweak minor things but not any of those gameplay elements.
I don't see any kind of big change going on from the beta, at the most we might get map revisions and weapon balances but not removal of anything else, they have their plans set in stone it seems.

Deadbeat

Banned

They are going to stick to their plans and when the game doesnt deliver just say "oh the market has changed thats why halo didnt do as well as previous entries" instead of admitting they screwed it up with this me-too crap.

JayEH

The train has already left the station.

Of course not.

I don't see any kind of big change going on from the beta, at the most we might get map revisions and weapon balances but not removal of anything else, they have their plans set in stone it seems.

They are going to stick to their plans and when the game doesnt deliver just say "oh the market has changed thats why halo didnt do as well as previous entries" instead of admitting they screwed it up with this me-too crap.

The train has already left the station.

I'll take that as a no then ;)

I tend to agree that they won't change much from the beta.

Not at all

Its not a beta for feedback at all. Doesn't matter what anybody says on it

Mayyhem

I wonder how it feels to knowingly chase CoD money whilst ruining a legendary franchise that means so much to so many.

Caayn

Edit: Small addition to the sprint discussion. Sprint doesn't only affect map design negatively it also slows down the game. Normally you'd have only one state in which a player can reside, sprint adds a second state. When a player is sprinting he/she is unable to participate in combat untill the player leaves the sprint state.

It also changes the flow of game modes such as ctf and oddball modes
I wonder how it feels to knowingly chase CoD money whilst ruining a legendary franchise that means so much to so many.
Must feel pretty good. 343i seems to be getting a hard on from doing that.

Its not a beta for feedback at all. Doesn't matter what anybody says on it
Then why have it in December instead of sometime mid next year?

I don't expect major changes regardless, but systems tuning, scoring and visuals (in terms of abilities or even visibility when zoomed) could be changed from feedback. Why not?

JaggedSac

I'm a pretty big Halo fan. Didn't play as much as some people here, but I think when I've played around 6,000 matches I can pretty honestly say I am a Halo fan. Obviously as time goes by I (and my friends) cannot play as much as I used to, so my time spent gets progressively lower. Turns out a family drastically affects the amount of time one can spend playing video games, lol.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-2/xbox/service-records/players/jaggedsac

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-3/xbox-360/service-records/players/jaggedsac

I don't think they are ruining it. They had some missteps with Halo 4, but I'll be damned if Halo 5 doesn't look fun as fuck.

Top Bottom