• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongcha

I got my white 3DS LL about an hour ago, with NSMB2 and a case. Here are a bunch of pics, showing it up against the 3DS and the white Vita.

vxbMs.jpg

3nrzp.jpg

fevjQ.jpg

Ma3GG.jpg

zhBcD.jpg

jK5yU.jpg

ZT6Tw.jpg

Y4zIo.jpg

g5ZjC.jpg

So far I like it better than the original 3DS, but the dpad position still isn't too comfortable which is a bummer. The Vita blows it away in this regard (and in many others). It is much lighter than I thought it would be, and it feels very well balanced. There is a yellowish hue to the screens, as others have mentioned, but it doesn't matter much once you start playing a game.

Drago

SHIT

HOT DAMN

AAAHHGH

i want it noooooow! D:

Edit: could you take pics in better light please? It looks a tad grey in the pics

I got my white 3DS LL about an hour ago, with NSMB2 and a case. Here are a bunch of pics, showing it up against the 3DS and the white Vita.

So far I like it better than the original 3DS, but the dpad position still isn't too comfortable which is a bummer. The Vita blows it away in this regard (and in many others). It is much lighter than I thought it would be, and it feels very well balanced. There is a yellowish hue to the screens, as others have mentioned, but it doesn't matter much once you start playing a game.

8QmIp.gif

It's so... pretty.

seady

Saw it in person.
I think most people's first impression of the device will be "omg the screen is so fucking huge."

Yeah, you can keep that white XL. I love the look of the regular white 3DS next to it with the all black top screen. Black borders make images pop more. That white XL looks, dare I say, boring.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children

Uhh, holy shit. I'm just seeing now NSMB2 is out. How is it compared to the first?

Drago

Yeah, I want that white XL. I love the look of the white 3DS XL with the all white top screen. White borders make images pop more. That white XL looks, dare I say, excellent.

Fixed for my opinions on the matter :p

I preferred my White DS lite to my red/black one so much... shame that it's gone now :'(

Oh well... I can wait a few months.
this better be here in a few months, NoA

Link83

I have the same issue.
The scratches (dots) are on both sides.

That's really bad, Nintendo...

I also have those dots on both sides. Oh for fucks sake, Nintendo.

I guess that means its not just me then :( Hopefully this is not a widespread issue.

I hope you both manage to get a replacement you are happy with - for me its going to be a long wait whilst the first one is returned and another is dispatched.

IrishNinja

Like I told you ealier, nothing wrong with white, great color in fact, you just have bad taste ;P

so wish that we were getting white...

you don't need to be wrong in both public and private formats, my friend
also nintendo was gonna ship whites here but they took one look at blue and realized there was no need: they'd found the superior color

Eusis

Like I told you ealier, nothing wrong with white, great color in fact, you just have bad taste ;P

so wish that we were getting white...
It really is insane how that's not out at launch here. But I don't know whether I want to wait or just jump in, my love for blue makes it easier to rationalize.

Drago

It really is insane how that's not out at launch here. But I don't know whether I want to wait or just jump in, my love for blue makes it easier to rationalize.
I really think they should've... it's a basic color, looks extremely sleek and nice, follows the Apple trend of White electronics:)p), and has a significant design change: a white top screen instead of black.

But no, we have to get red and blue. :'(

how is it with fingerprints?
the original is so bad at this
Matte finish - no fingerprints

Dat white

It lukes so beatifuly

I just don t understund how stoopid NOofA is for not releasung white in NAofUS

Dat white.

It looks so beautiful.

I just don't understand how stupid NOA is for not releasing white in US.

:(

Roo

I'll get my 3DS XL as a christmas present.
Hopefully the silver version will be available here in NA when the time comes :S

Eusis

What? It has huge white borders now. I prefer my screens be framed by black unless the screen is meant to read books on. Black makes games and movies blend into the border.
I only feel that's the case with something like OLED. In the right lighting it makes it look as if the Vita simply has a smaller screen for 4:3 or 1.85:1 rather than black borders.

hongcha

I've fiddled with the white 3DS LL some more and I'm liking it a lot. Currently transfering all my VC stuff, I can't wait to play gameboy games on this! I'm definitely keeping it and selling off the 3DS.

One thing - my screen hinge can wobble a little bit in each position. In other words, it's not totally locked and immobile in any one position. This is the same as my 3DS. It doesn't bother me as it only wobbles a little and only if you put a good amount of pressure on the back of the screen pushing it toward you. But do other 3DS XL/LL systems behave like this? I remember reviews saying it really locked into place in each position.

Dartastic

The colors are annoying in the US, as I'd much rather have silver or white. But still. Blue looks okay I guess. The most irritating thing is the wait. Fuck that. GRR.

Drago

The colors are annoying in the US, as I'd much rather have silver or white. But still. Blue looks okay I guess. The most irritating thing is the wait. Fuck that. GRR.

You think the wait for blue is bad?

Imagine the wait for white. Which may never come to NA, since the white 3DS never did.

:'(

Drago

exactly, you people just want a boring i3DS. and there's more of you piling in here now too..icant

lOwUt.gif

I'm not saying I'm glad it's following the Apple trend, but it would help give it appeal to those who would be. White is a very nice and basic color.

I personally prefer my 'i' products in black. :p

hongcha

Haha, me too. I have a black ipad 2 and black ipod touch, but white vita, white 3ds ll, white 3ds, and white ps3. When I had a Wii it was black. I have a black x360 too. I don't know why, I just think certain designs look better white and certain ones look better black.

Having seen the black 3ds LL's, I find the white one to be much nicer. Mainly because it reminds me of the SNES, and that's probably my favorite console of all time.

branny

Haha, me too. I have a black ipad 2, but white vita, white 3ds ll, white 3ds, and white ps3. When I had a Wii it was black. I have a black x360 too. I don't know why, I just think certain designs look better white and certain ones look better black.

Having seen the black 3ds LL's, I find the white one to be much nicer. Mainly because it reminds me of the SNES, and that's probably my favorite console of all time.
Yeah, this is totally true. I love white, but sometimes it doesn't look good on certain designs to me.

I made a stink about us not getting the white one over here (it's still stupid that we aren't given more options), but I personally can't shake the feeling that it doesn't look as sleek as the white DS Lite or even white DSi. The same goes with the white Vita compared to white PSPs (excluding the horrendously ugly white PSPgo, of course). I don't know if it's the speaker holes, analog sticks, bezels around the screens, shadows cast on various areas, or what.

I only feel that's the case with something like OLED. In the right lighting it makes it look as if the Vita simply has a smaller screen for 4:3 or 1.85:1 rather than black borders.
I think black electronics are really boring and bland, but helping create an illusion like that gives them an edge sometimes.

Eusis

exactly, you people just want a boring i3DS. and there's more of you piling in here now too..icant
Hey, we don't want them to make an iDevice, they need to be better ergonomically, we just want them to provide what they already did in another region, especially as it'll help mitigate some of this "too kiddy!" crap.

I'm not saying I'm glad it's following the Apple trend, but it would help give it appeal to those who would be. White is a very nice and basic color.

I personally prefer my 'i' products in black. :p

Except that they get real dirty. Real quick. The inside is textured. Aloof those textures are going to absorb crud over time.

I stand with IrishNinja (awesome Snow White gif usage), opting for blue as the finest shade for XL.

what you want is that clear one iwata showed, i hear you

i mean i get that, but people are gonna say dumb kiddy shit even if it was sold with spikes and blood. to each their own, but...that white one looks sterile to me. like, in a doctor's office in the future, they'll be on the coffee table instead of magazines, and your game of pushmo will be interrupted by custom spreadsheets breaking down your co-pay in mario coins.

LOL!

IrishNinja

Hey, we don't want them to make an iDevice, they need to be better ergonomically, we just want them to provide what they already did in another region, especially as it'll help mitigate some of this "too kiddy!" crap.

what you want is that clear one iwata showed, i hear you

i mean i get that, but people are gonna say dumb kiddy shit even if it was sold with spikes and blood. to each their own, but...that white one looks sterile to me. like, in a doctor's office in the future, they'll be on the coffee table instead of magazines, and your game of pushmo will be interrupted by custom spreadsheets breaking down your co-pay in mario coins.

AzaK

This is what I ended up doing for my 3DS that liked to smudge/scratch screens.

Q1fYh.jpg

I got a little rubber foot from the bottom of an old keyboard and stuck it on either side of the top screen. Works a treat. But hopefully I won't need to do anything like that with the XL.

Yeah I did similar with mine. Fucked that we have to do it but I couldn't be arsed taking it back. Normally I would have.

Drago

Except that it get real dirty. Real quick. The inside is textured. Aloof those textures are going to absorb crud over time.

I stand with IrishNinja (awesome Snow White gif usage), opting for blue as the finest shade for XL.

Blue is my least favorite shade, actually :x

It was actually my favorite for a while, but I started to get sick of it's look and now I hate it... if that makes any sense :p

And my OCD would prevent any grime on my XL. I kept my White DS lite very, very clean for a good 3+ years, until it started acting up and I got a red/black DS (and a blue/black one too!). I got rid of it last year to get a 3DS at launch for $200. I miss it dearly... D:

Eusis

i mean i get that, but people are gonna say dumb kiddy shit even if it was sold with spikes and blood.
I actually WOULD say that's more juvenile, but it's not the same as why people are arguing the Red/blue are juvenile. Nevertheless you are correct, it could have a sophisticated design and house mature works of arts for video games, and it'd still be "kiddy crap" to some people because it's a handheld game machine, namely one from Nintendo.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn that white one looks nice! That white Vita looks good too.

I really need to go check one of these XL units out at a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom