• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Well I just saw the Giantbomb unpacking and it looks pretty good, I will get me my first Nintendo handheld now. Is it true that there is no power adapter inside the box in Europe?

Wanna know what I will have to order...

NeoRausch

My system transfare was super smooth. Everything according to kaiku, my brave pikmins!
Goddammit that screen is sooooooo huge and nice.

and not pixelated!

Ally1987

More pictures of the red please! Gotta wait until middle of August :(

2012-07-27233516.jpg

2012-07-27233450.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Are warmer screen colors the default standard or is it on system's basis?

The original 3DS had both, and I was one of few unlucky ones who got a warmer upper screen and cooler lower screen.

I really hope to get an XL with a cool color gamut.

Tarin02543

I've just tried a demo unit in stores, a big warning to those expecting better select, home and start buttons. I'd say they are even worse than the first gen 3ds.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So do GBA games have the same horrendous motion blur on the XL? They are repulsive in motion on the OG 3DS.

Synless

Are warmer screen colors the default standard or is it on system's basis?

The original 3DS had both, and I was one of few unlucky ones who got a warmer upper screen and cooler lower screen.

I really hope to get an XL with a cool color gamut.
The poster right above you has what appears to be two cool screens. So I think it is a system by system basis.

The low sound is kinda bugging me. Playing OOT with such low sound is killing me, I wanna rock out in the Lost Woods and LonLon Ranch.

I've just tried a demo unit in stores, a big warning to those expecting better select, home and start buttons. I'd say they are even worse than the first gen 3ds.

Nope, super improvement.

whaaaa?

What does everyone else think?

They are definitely way better. You can press anywhere on the button and it will register.

So do GBA games have the same horrendous motion blur on the XL? They are repulsive in motion on the OG 3DS.

That's just how the 3DS handles those games, so it will be same on the XL. I'm not sure why Nintendo decided to do it like that.

EDIT: Apparently it's needed for proper emulation.

kanugo

I'm going to buy the new console tomorrow and have a question:

All the tiles unlocked and the progress in the streepass quests are transferable?

Thanks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
They are definitely way better. You can press anywhere on the button and it will register.

That's just how the 3DS handles those games, so it will be same on the XL. I'm not sure why Nintendo decided to do it like that.

Sounds good. That was the first comment I've heard that the buttons were bad, so I'm inclined to not believe him.

Is it the camera quality, or do the bigger screens have some AA going on? I'm always able to cut my eyes open just looking at it on my 3DS..

It's the camera. The aliasing is something that will be more noticeable on the bigger screen. The hardware hasn't changed at all.

NeoRausch

Is it the camera quality, or do the bigger screens have some AA going on? I'm always able to cut my eyes open just looking at it on my 3DS..

No AA.

Also: the new d-pad is soooooo much better! Non squeaking at all. It allmost feels clicky. Love it!

After a couple of hours of playing games on the XL, I have to say that while I'm not too fond of the screens, I'll probably still keep the XL and sell my old 3DS. Everything other than the screens are such a big improvement that I feel that it outweighs that the games look slightly worse.

I wish Nintendo would "upgrade" the regular 3DS model with better buttons, dpad and rounded corners. That would have been the best for me.

The 3DS cradles they sell now come with a power cord so I assume the XL ones will too. Hopefully they sell the cradle alone for $10 or something.

It's very expensive in Sweden. Around $55. Not that it will be that expensive in USA, but it will most definitely be more than $10.

There is a power cord included.

I have to ask: Are there no accessories available for the XL in the rest of Europe as well? We get nothing here in Sweden, and it seems that even the cradle is hard to find.

EDIT: I just noticed that the cradle won't be available for another month. What the hell, Nintendo?

Just got me new xl, going to give old 3ds back to the store. I think Nintendo is really fooling people with their strategy. Not more about that, but it's really evident when you get the xl in your hands first time in your home and be actually able to compare the two systems side by side... I think they have had the blueprints for xl ready for quite some time. Etc :)

The copyright on the bottom of the XL unit is dated 2011 and not 2012 as would perhaps be presumed.
Nintendo have certainly had this unit ready to go for a while, but I think the upshot in sales in the final quarter of 2011 'delayed' it.
Can anybody be surprised though? We know they're working on the 3DS' successor as we speak for example.

The copyright on the bottom of the XL unit is dated 2011 and not 2012 as would perhaps be presumed.
Nintendo have certainly had this unit ready to go for a while, but I think the upshot in sales in the final quarter of 2011 'delayed' it.
Can anybody be surprised though? We know they're working on the 3DS' successor as we speak for example.

all companies work on successors immediately

that doesnt mean jack mack

I just bought Pullblox/Pushmo and I have 9 more euro's to spend in the eShop. Are there any more essential games I should buy? I bought Dillon's Rolling Western on my original 3DS and it was pretty cool, but pretty dull at some points, so I'd rather buy something fresh now.

Is Mutant Mudds any good?

YES. Absolutely buy Mutant Mudds ASAP -- it's the best game on the eShop if you're a fan of awesome, old-school 2D platformers.

whaaaa?

What does everyone else think?

I mentioned this very thing in my hands-on impressions writeup a few pages back. From my experience, the Start, Select, and Home buttons are somehow even worse on the XL than they were on the original 3DS. They are at least three separate buttons on the XL, all of them just barely click down -- they're even less "clicky" than they were on the original 3DS, and barely feel like true buttons at all. They just don't feel good.

I mean, that's a small consideration when looking at the 3DS XL as a whole, but yeah, it's a problem I noted.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Finally got to try it out. I like it for the most part, some buttons however feel a bit cheap compared to the original 3DS. If they made a white version for here I wouldn't be bothered by it and just buy one but now... ehh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom