• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunsmithx

you don't need to be wrong in both public and private formats, my friend
also nintendo was gonna ship whites here but they took one look at blue and realized there was no need: they'd found the superior color

well red is the better color at launch. Hopefully they will put out some white special edition some day that I'll pick up.

MarkusRJR

How are the white 3DS and white 3DS XL shoulder buttons? Are they the gross matte ones like on the DS lite that turn yellow and nasty over time?

womp

For anyone who is lucky enough to have one of these systems....

We need 1:1 mode pics for DS and GBA Ambassador titles please.

PLEASE.

hongcha

The white 3ds LL would have been even better if they colored the XYAB buttons like on the super famicom controller or the SNES controller.

BTW Gameboy and 3D Classic games like Kirby's Adventure look truly amazing on the LL. I could never go back to playing those on the 3DS.

However, I find the 3D effect better and deeper on the original 3DS. This surprised me quite a bit. On NSMB2, I can't really see any 3D AT ALL (it just makes the screen look a bit blurry), even with the slider set to max. I don't know WTF is up with that.

hongcha

How are the white 3DS and white 3DS XL shoulder buttons? Are they the gross matte ones like on the DS lite that turn yellow and nasty over time?

Glossy on the 3DS, matte on the LL. The LL ones feel a lot better. Can't comment on them turning yellow. I've never had a white handheld turn yellow, but I keep them stored in cases whenever not in use, and I never play them out in the sunshine.

vxbMs.jpg

3nrzp.jpg

fevjQ.jpg

g5ZjC.jpg

wow

Why the hell couldn't Nintendo release this beauty in the NA

MarkusRJR

Glossy on the 3DS, matte on the LL. The LL ones feel a lot better. Can't comment on them turning yellow. I've never had a white handheld turn yellow, but I keep them stored in cases whenever not in use, and I never play them out in the sunshine.
Is it depressing that I want to skip the XL and just wait for the white 3DS then? I doubt the glossy plastic will turn yellow. NoA, announce the white 3DS already. :'(

IrishNinja

well red is the better color at launch. Hopefully they will put out some white special edition some day that I'll pick up.

please go to bed already and stop being wrong
man ive only got 3 system transfers left so i wanna say this is it for me, but we both know if they do something sexy like another nice zelda one, or that hot fire emblem one japan got...yeah

I actually WOULD say that's more juvenile, but it's not the same as why people are arguing the Red/blue are juvenile. Nevertheless you are correct, it could have a sophisticated design and house mature works of arts for video games, and it'd still be "kiddy crap" to some people because it's a handheld game machine, namely one from Nintendo.

exactly. and we both agree on my blood & spikes example, but - and i could be wrong here - most of the people who are on about the kiddy stereotype are often the same that define "mature" in such a way, and have problems with concepts like video games being sold as toys.

Thumbs up on the use of Snow White Irish.

i do what i can monkey, but their numbers are sadly increasing~

Given the color options, I'd go Red-Blue-White-Silver. When the inevitable Pokemon-themed XL comes out in a year or so, I'll nab that and gift my Red XL to my daughter.

Man I feel so burned. Once I get a NA XL I'm gonna want to get a JP XL -_-;

I already have 2 3DS <_>;

what you want is that clear one iwata showed, i hear you

i mean i get that, but people are gonna say dumb kiddy shit even if it was sold with spikes and blood. to each their own, but...that white one looks sterile to me. like, in a doctor's office in the future, they'll be on the coffee table instead of magazines, and your game of pushmo will be interrupted by custom spreadsheets breaking down your co-pay in mario coins.

Bravo sir xD

Drago

Hey so uh, why no OT for NSMB2?

I'm wondering if it's digitally available in Japan?

No OT until a week before the NA/EU release (release on Aug 19, so OT on Aug 12?)

And it is available now in Japan, and a few here have already digitally downloaded it.

Jarsonot

No OT until a week before the NA/EU release (release on Aug 19, so OT on Aug 12?)

And it is available now in Japan, and a few here have already digitally downloaded it.

Gotcha, thanks. So there goes my dream for Nintendo to introduce account systems when they introduce digital downloads. Le sigh. Maybe when the wii u comes out I guess.

Rich!

Some macro shots of the screen I took for those wanting a detailed look at dem pixels:

Zoom in for a real good look. heh. anyway, photos don't do it justice - it looks good in real life, and the viewing angles ARE INCREDIBLE.

Anth0ny

I got my white 3DS LL about an hour ago, with NSMB2 and a case. Here are a bunch of pics, showing it up against the 3DS and the white Vita.

vxbMs.jpg

3nrzp.jpg

fevjQ.jpg

Ma3GG.jpg

zhBcD.jpg

jK5yU.jpg

ZT6Tw.jpg

Y4zIo.jpg

g5ZjC.jpg

So far I like it better than the original 3DS, but the dpad position still isn't too comfortable which is a bummer. The Vita blows it away in this regard (and in many others). It is much lighter than I thought it would be, and it feels very well balanced. There is a yellowish hue to the screens, as others have mentioned, but it doesn't matter much once you start playing a game.

FUCK IT I'M IMPORTING

Rich!

Derp?

It launched in the EU/UK yesterday dude. Got mine as have other euro/uk gaffers. Dont see why we have to wait a month to make an OT just cause of the USA being behind everyone else.

mrkgoo

I got my white 3DS LL about an hour ago, with NSMB2 and a case. Here are a bunch of pics, showing it up against the 3DS and the white Vita.

vxbMs.jpg

3nrzp.jpg

fevjQ.jpg

Ma3GG.jpg

zhBcD.jpg

jK5yU.jpg

ZT6Tw.jpg

Y4zIo.jpg

g5ZjC.jpg

So far I like it better than the original 3DS, but the dpad position still isn't too comfortable which is a bummer. The Vita blows it away in this regard (and in many others). It is much lighter than I thought it would be, and it feels very well balanced. There is a yellowish hue to the screens, as others have mentioned, but it doesn't matter much once you start playing a game.

So sweet.

Hint for photography of white stuff: In basic terms, your camera is programmed to give you settings to average out a scene so that it comes out grey in tone. This is to balance lights and darks. Since everything is white in your shots, your camera thinks it's just very bright, so it underexposes.

If you have any override functions (exposure compensation), the images would look a lot better pushed up +1 or +1.5. Basically, until the white looks white.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I'm just going to sit in the corner and cry because I want the XL bad and I hate the Colours we get.

Welp, lets see if I can hold out for all white or purple editions :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom