• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC03306.jpg

C-C-C-Combo breaker!
I've spent over a day with the XL now and I prefer it in every way to the original 3DS.

gogojira

Offensively awful if widespread.

Pretty much. Despite initial reservations, I was going to pick up an XL and in fact I was going to go pre-order today. I don't think I will if the screen scratching is an issue with this design, too.

I'll be keeping an eye on it leading into launch to make sure it's not just an isolated incident. I thought the rubber bumps on the top screen were supposed to protect it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I got my blue unit today and the thing is huge. The blue looks much nicer in person, it's a mettalic-ish finish, a bit like the coloured iPod nanos. While the glossy finish of the original 3DS might look nicer, the new matte material feels much better, it gives a firmer grip and doesn't collect finger prints.

Build quality is a lot better and it feels much nicer in the hands than the original 3DS. The buttons are softer and the rounded edges no longer hurt after holding the thing for a while. The circle pad also feels much nicer and softer and is not as wobbly as the original one.

The screens are obviously huge in comparison to the original unit but the low res is noticeable at first, they simply don't look as sharp. That also depends on the game though, low res textures in OOT are more obvious while RE: Revelations looks every bit as impressive on the big screen, for example. When playing the difference is huge though, sometimes bigger is indeed better. ;-) 3D looks a bit better and more immersive to me, viewing angles are also improved, not by a great deal though.

All in all, it's a great upgrade and I would definitely get this one over the original unit if you're on the fence. It is huge though, keep that in mind if you really want a pocketable system.

Some pics:

http://i.imgur.com/egO4o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/B24HZ.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4KonN.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sJ0yZ.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]Lovely pictures. Thank you.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Just like the white DS Lite, the white 3DS looks great in promotional shots but in day to day usage it will not look great. Blue all the way.

Thanks for all the great pictures and feedback people are giving, by the way.

Synless

I got my white 3DS LL about an hour ago, with NSMB2 and a case. Here are a bunch of pics, showing it up against the 3DS and the white Vita.

vxbMs.jpg

3nrzp.jpg

fevjQ.jpg

Ma3GG.jpg

zhBcD.jpg

jK5yU.jpg

ZT6Tw.jpg

Y4zIo.jpg

g5ZjC.jpg

So far I like it better than the original 3DS, but the dpad position still isn't too comfortable which is a bummer. The Vita blows it away in this regard (and in many others). It is much lighter than I thought it would be, and it feels very well balanced. There is a yellowish hue to the screens, as others have mentioned, but it doesn't matter much once you start playing a game.
I do not in any way care for white systems (though I once bought the white DS) and this really isn't the thread to say this, but holy fuck is the white Vita one of the sexiest handhelds ever!!! Also, all these XLs have made me have a uncravable need for a revision I didn't want. I wish Blue and Red were not the only colors available in the U.S. because I will not be buying either of those colors.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Mine is not scratched and has no dead pixels or anything. Just saying.

oh and mutant mudds looks AWESOME on dat screen!
Mine is not scratched yet, but I have 4 tiny points on each side, and on my 3DS it eventually formed 2 lines. I won't take any risk this time. I love the XL, it's a big improvement over the previous model. How Nintendo let such a flaw persist is beyond me, at least this time I'm warned and I'll fix it myself before it's too late.

Mine is not scratched and has no dead pixels or anything. Just saying.

oh and mutant mudds looks AWESOME on dat screen!

Yeah Mutant Mudds does indeed look awesome. God damn these faulty pixels! I just wanna transfer stuff and get playing, but since that can only be done once per 7 days I have to wait till I get a replacement unit.

Anyone know what kind of policy Gamestop has regarding pixel issues?

Not sure if it has been mentioned or noticed but the 3DS XL circle pad isn't actually exactly the same as 3DS or CPP one,

it is now completely curved around the edges rather than having a flat outline as before,
it gives slightly more room for the thumb to rest on but is barely noticeable,
the colour is also a bit more grey now.

NeoRausch

The Boat

Mine is not scratched yet, but I have 4 tiny points on each side, and on my 3DS it eventually formed 2 lines. I won't take any risk this time. I love the XL, it's a big improvement over the previous model. How Nintendo let such a flaw persist is beyond me, at least this time I'm warned and I'll fix it myself before it's too late.
Don't the dots go away if you wipe the screen? It's important to make the distinction. My 3DS has marks, but they easily go away.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damn some games just look amazing on the XL. Played around for a couple hours now and im more than impressed, this is indeed the much needed 3DS upgrade. Played Revelations, Dead or Alive, Kingdom Hearts, Ambassador titles and tried out the Pokemon 3D Apps. Just amazing how it looks. Especially titles like Dead or Alive really benefit from the bigger screens, now they really feel like you are playing the proper console game just on a portable.

For KH its way easier to keep track of thing happening on the screens, now that its. Im really impressed by the system, didnt expected that. Impossible for me to go back now. Seems like the 3D is also easier on the eyes with the XL, feeling goof. Played for around 2h and the battery bar is still full, obviously they improved it.

btw. Every 3DS XL owner should rewatch the e3 2012 Paper Mario 3D Trailer. Daaaaamn....

Gunsmithx

no, you're thinking of gray. that comes later.

grey is good! (see if you catch that reference)

I went from not being very interested in this to wanting one really badly, also nice to know it's basically the size of the dsi xl, loved mine. really hoping it's true some NA dealers have them already cause someone will break street date. I'll have to finally pick up theaterythem to go along with this now.

Galdelico

Just out of curiosity, could anyone with DoA Dimensions and the XL kindly post some pics of the game running on the bigger screen?

I really wanted to see it in motion this morning but I forgot to bring the card with me so I didn't have the chance.

Robin64

After a day with it, and actually playing some games, I've gotten used to the low PPI. The size of the screen more than makes up for it, and that size helps with the 3D effect too. An unfortunate tradeoff, but one I am now warming up to.

And yeah, the "warm" screen makes the colours a lot more vibrant in games. Don't judge it based on a pure white static background.

Yellowish tint on the screens UGH! Can't stand that. Another reason to wait I guess.

You'll wait forever then, most likely.

complaints about the yellow/piss filter, which pic are you referring to? it doesnt look bad in those white shots.

im hoping it's easier in person too. here's to gamestop demo units soon?

I don't notice it at all while playing games. In fact, other than the worse image quality due to bigger pixels, I prefer these screens to the 3DS ones.

Bad news guys, 3DS XL seems just as vulnerable to scratches as the previous model. I noticed two lines of dots on the sides after merely 2 days.

I don't know how Nintendo could not have made this a priority in their fix list, this is just wrong. Guess I'll have to stick something on the upper half to prevent it getting worse. Any advice is welcome (besides the x360 option as I don't have one).

Are you sure it wasn't there from the start? Like I said earlier in this thread, I can't see how the bottom screen would leave marks like that. A solid line is one thing, but random dots? That doesn't make sense at all.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
My brain can't comprehend why Nintendo, apparently, didn't fix the screen scratching issue.

I love my 3DS, but as minor as it is, it fucking pisses my off seeing those 2 awful marks on the top screen, even though I have a screen protector on.

My brain can't comprehend why Nintendo, apparently, didn't fix the screen scratching issue.

I love my 3DS, but as minor as it is, it fucking pisses my off seeing those 2 awful marks on the top screen, even though I have a screen protector on.

I think the marks is something that happens during the manufacturing process. The bottom screen won't leave marks like that, it would leave a straight line; like it did on the 3DS.

So a buddy of mine is manager at a gamestore in Holland (Nedgame), and he had to open up 5 (!) different 3DS XL's to find one that wasn't damaged. Two of them had loose hinges and the other two had the scratches on the screen.

I'm going to wait until Nintendo fixes their shit.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Wasn't planning to but just picked up the last silver one at my local Argos store, God this thing is massive, the 3D effect looks at lot better imo just off the menu, haven't tried any games yet, just going to attempt a system transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom