• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

complaints about the yellow/piss filter, which pic are you referring to? it doesnt look bad in those white shots.

im hoping it's easier in person too. here's to gamestop demo units soon?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Bad news guys, 3DS XL seems just as vulnerable to scratches as the previous model. I noticed two lines of dots on the sides after merely 2 days.

I don't know how Nintendo could not have made this a priority in their fix list, this is just wrong. Guess I'll have to stick something on the upper half to prevent it getting worse. Any advice is welcome (besides the x360 option as I don't have one).

itbCjqhYha90p.jpg

iwHKD6yyjuSNz.jpg

iTRf2h1sDcdzF.jpg

where does the all black XL come from?

Chopper

Bad news guys, 3DS XL seems just as vulnerable to scratches as the previous model. I noticed two lines of dots on the sides after merely 2 days.

I don't know how Nintendo could not have made this a priority in their fix list, this is just wrong. Guess I'll have to stick something on the upper half to prevent it getting worse. Any advice is welcome (besides the x360 option as I don't have one).
Aaaaaargh! How does this happen?!

Can someone recommend a good SD card and screen protectors to go with the XL ?

E-Shop games are saved on the SD card right? The 3DS has no internal memory then for games does it?

Robso

Screen protectors?

Winnie, I don't think there are many screen protectors released yet unfortunately. :(

hongcha

So sweet.

Hint for photography of white stuff: In basic terms, your camera is programmed to give you settings to average out a scene so that it comes out grey in tone. This is to balance lights and darks. Since everything is white in your shots, your camera thinks it's just very bright, so it underexposes.

If you have any override functions (exposure compensation), the images would look a lot better pushed up +1 or +1.5. Basically, until the white looks white.

Thanks for the tips. I'm just a "point and shoot" person, but I'll try and fiddle with the settings if/when I take more pics.

mandiller

E-Shop games are saved on the SD card right? The 3DS has no internal memory then for games does it?

E-shop games are stored on the SD card. There is internal memory on the 3DS but it is mainly just for DSiWare (which does not run from an SD card). All 3DS eshop stuff runs from the SD card though.

E-shop games are stored on the SD card. There is internal memory on the 3DS but it is mainly just for DSiWare (which does not run from an SD card). All 3DS eshop stuff runs from the SD card though.

thanks, any regular SD will do yes? About how big are most games on the E shop then? Will say, a 8 GB card be enough if i plan to maybe get like 5-10 games on there total for the system?

Robso

Has anybody bought one from Tesco instore? I've just phoned Tesco and have been told that they're not selling them in store, only online.

I'm sure this can't be true.

Yazuka

Just picked up my Silver 3DSXL with a copy of Zelda. I have not started playing yet, just been feeling up the console. (OH YEAH!)
And initial impressions are very good, seems like I managed to get one without the yellowing or I just don't see it. Either way good! And no dead pixels.. Thank god.
It feels great to hold and the big screen is very nice! Gonna try some demos now before I try Zelda.

2012-07-28-3DSXLZeldaOOT3D.jpg

Ragus

Banned

Would you care to explain what is the 360 option?

mandiller

thanks, any regular SD will do yes? About how big are most games on the E shop then? Will say, a 8 GB card be enough if i plan to maybe get like 5-10 games on there total for the system?

8GB is plenty for eShop stuff. If you want to buy a lot of downloadable full 3DS games (like NSMB2 etc) then maybe 16GB would be better future proofing though.

Would you care to explain what is the 360 option?

Peel off two of your 360's rubber feet and stick them on the top half of the 3DS (either next to the front-facing camera or at the top left and right corners) to create more space between the top and bottom screens when the system is closed. Simple to do and works amazingly well.

Curufinwe

Peel off two of your 360's rubber feet and stick them on the top half of the 3DS (either next to the front-facing camera or at the top left and right corners) to create more space between the top and bottom screens when the system is closed. Simple to do and works amazingly well.

You can buy packs of little rubber feet at dollar stores.

Do anybody know the gamestop deal for this? Looking to trade my aqua blue one in for the regular blue. ( I will miss you aqua blue...but not your small screen!) Gonna transfer my data to my cousins regular 3ds then transfer back when I get it. Thanks.

NeoRausch

somebody asked for some 1:1-Mode pics earlier in this thread? k!

wDyFn.jpg

NES

wX5Aj.jpg

GameBoy

aqdND.jpg

GameBoy Color

eFCPL.jpg

GameBoy Advanced feat. random Yoshis

NTCLe.jpg

Game Gear

IaK1s.jpg

DS

yVbFj.jpg

DSi Ware

EDIT:
damm! i forgot that imgur resizes the pictures..... *barf*
before it you could see every pixel....
i'm in no mood to reup those pics now, but for later: what's a recommended site that does easy uploads without rezing.

NeoRausch

Do anybody know the gamestop deal for this? Looking to trade my aqua blue one in for the regular blue. ( I will miss you aqua blue...but not your small screen!) Gonna transfer my data to my cousins regular 3ds then transfer back when I get it. Thanks.

You loose 2 out of 5 tranfares! *DUN DUN DUN!*

FatCat

Got a red one this morning and gave my day-1 3DS to my brother.

Over the moon with the screen size. Had a few problems copying stuff over but all is in order now.

Now to reply all my games on those screens!

Shiggy

somebody asked for some 1:1-Mode pics earlier in this thread? k!

EDIT:
damm! i forgot that imgur resizes the pictures..... *barf*
before it you could see every pixel....
i'm in no mood to reup those pics now, but for later: what's a recommended site that does easy uploads without rezing.

www.abload.de , I believe.

Blasty

The reason why I like the white Vita and original 3DS is because of the gloss finish. I think the red XL looks really nice.

gkryhewy

Offensively awful if widespread.

Galdelico

Finally saw the XL in action and... Surprisingly I didn't fall in love. I'm on the same side of that guy not really feeling the ppi and the way 3DS games look on the bigger screen.
I was expecting to be blown away, to run back home, bring back my 3DS to the store and join the trade-in wagon, but nothing really happened.

Plus, all these cases of dead/stuck pixels, 'scratchy' lower screen, no screen protectors on sale yet are convincing me I should wait a bit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My Order Arrived today, from Amazon.co.uk, London here so the Olympics has not screwed up the post (yet)
downside is I am at work...
oh well impressions and transferring of items this afternoon.

now where be the CPP XL?

I got my blue unit today and the thing is huge. The blue looks much nicer in person, it's a mettalic-ish finish, a bit like the coloured iPod nanos. While the glossy finish of the original 3DS might look nicer, the new matte material feels much better, it gives a firmer grip and doesn't collect finger prints.

Build quality is a lot better and it feels much nicer in the hands than the original 3DS. The buttons are softer and the rounded edges no longer hurt after holding the thing for a while. The circle pad also feels much nicer and softer and is not as wobbly as the original one.

The screens are obviously huge in comparison to the original unit but the low res is noticeable at first, they simply don't look as sharp. That also depends on the game though, low res textures in OOT are more obvious while RE: Revelations looks every bit as impressive on the big screen, for example. When playing the difference is huge though, sometimes bigger is indeed better. ;-) 3D looks a bit better and more immersive to me, viewing angles are also improved, not by a great deal though.

All in all, it's a great upgrade and I would definitely get this one over the original unit if you're on the fence. It is huge though, keep that in mind if you really want a pocketable system.

Some pics:

egO4o.jpg

B24HZ.jpg

4KonN.jpg

sJ0yZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom