• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan Rumor: No Assassin's Creed in 2016, 2017 in Egypt, Witcher inspired [Update]

If one team is doing AC: Egypt another is surely doing the inevitable WW2 AC. Unity had an unresolved plot thread of Arno and Napoleon having some kind of run-in in Egypt. Unity and Syndicate
both had WW2 levels
and Abstergo was founded right before WW2.

Isn't there already a WW2 assassins creed-ish game? sabouteur or something?

Einhander

An Egyptian setting would be boring. That would more or less be like the setting of AC1. They should do Japan, Russia, or WW2 Germany.

Composer

This has me excited. I really hope they touch up on the
enslaved human race by the Gods or whoever they were
. Unlocking those scenes and figuring it out from the clues were my absolute favorite parts of AC1 to AC3. Too bad there was so much vocal backlash that they dropped the modern/overarching story line altogether. Alot of the hardcore fans, including myself, love that stuff

Assassin's Creed is already coming in 2016

T3mKKxe.jpg

They'll need something to sell off the movie - I'm assuming Ezio Trilogy HD re-remake?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Assassin's Creed in ancient Egypt? Sounds like a fun and interesting place/time. I can wait, as long as it turns out good.

Instro

Sounds like that PoP game that cboat leaked ages ago. I guess this could be legit though, but I don't recall seeing a 4chan rumor being legit before.

I just want to mention that Black Flag's director Ashraf Ismail did once declare that he would specifically like to see an Egypt-inspired AC, so if you connect the dots this 'rumor' makes a lot more sense.

But still, wait and see is all we can do.

Squire

Banned
If one team is doing AC: Egypt another is surely doing the inevitable WW2 AC. Unity had an unresolved plot thread of Arno and Napoleon having some kind of run-in in Egypt. Unity and Syndicate
both had WW2 levels
and Abstergo was founded right before WW2.

Syndicate did WW1 not 2.

Hell, I haven't played one since Brotherhood (which I didn't finish).

I came to the series late and played through the first four games back-to-back, 100%'ing each. Then I got to ACIII and it was like hitting a goddamn brick wall. Maybe this will be the game that makes me finally jump back on though, assuming it's legit.

Spazznid

I really think AssCreed Syn is much better than Unity, and Black Flag, mostly because I think Black Flag was a terrible AssCreed game, while being a pretty awesome pirate game.

MrChom

To remind people, the Romans are as close to us as the Egyptians were to the Romans.

....the Kingdom (Later Empire) of Rome dates to 753 BC, the end of the Pharaohs was 30 BC....Around 720 years of overlap.

Meanwhile the last glowing ember of the Roman Empire fell in 1453 AD some 563 years short of where we are now.

Of course....it REALLY depends on what you mean by Roman and Egyptian....the Roman Empire of 1453 was really the dying embers of the Eastern half of the Empire that had basically sat in Constantinople for a very long time....far removed from Caesar and the legions.

By the same token the fall of Egypt into being a Roman province in 30 BC saw it a hugely different kingdom from that you might imagine....especially given its rulers weren't Egyptian, and until relatively recently didn't even speak the language. This is the problem when you discuss Kingdoms/Empires that arguably lasted for between 2,200 and 2,700 years...there's no monoculture to be had.

Back to the boats however...while you might not get what people are thinking of with tall square sailed vessels brimming with guns it's very easy to change those cannon over to archers (with access to, say, greek fire as an upgrade), multiple levels of ram for the prow of the ship, various types of rigging and hull (or no rigging and rely on good old man power). Essentially they could do what they've always done....fudge it. While AC has been historically accurate it's been accurate to the point that doing more would make things less fun and from then on either exaggerates, or flat out lies.

I like the idea of an Eqypt setting, but I need to see more to know if I'm actually interested. I'm really curious on how they plan on revamping the formula, though. It'll be an amazing game if they could nail the atmosphere and combat

Black Flag team :

Hopefully they cull as much as they can from Syndicate and Rogue. Syndicate is easily the best AC game since Brotherhood, and Rogue took everything Black Flag did and streamlined it for the better.

Loved the look and story to Black Flag, but god what a slog.

Assuming its true. Glad to see the Witcher is early influencing other games, hope Ubi uses the quest design too. Also glad to read it will be less repetitive but I doubt they to be able to mass produced a Witcher like variety.

I don't like that they are leaving cities like Black Flag but I think it's fair, since I already had a good quota of city climbing and structure marvel.I don't like the Egypt setting but Time and Greece are going to be better. Hope Greece is used in byzantine times. Also don't like the lesser focus on historical accuracy, the less historical accuracy it has, the less interested I'll be but I'm still into historical action games.

Ancient Egypt. I wonder if we'll get to see the pyramids in construction. Has there ever been a game/piece of entertainment that took place in ancient Egypt that didn't show the pyramids under construction? Could make for some very interesting parkour.

Acorn

An Egyptian setting would be boring. That would more or less be like the setting of AC1. They should do Japan, Russia, or WW2 Germany.
What?

They couldn't be further removed the only common denominator is brown and black people with deserts.

It's like comparing Renaissance Italy with Henry VI's England.

I for one would love a return to the ac1 setting , I was blown away back then and I can only imagine what they could do with it now .

I also like the witcher 3 comparisons , making it more free form openworld , they need todo something as its getting pretty cookie cutter now .

Cleve

That's a complete turn-off for me.

To me, this series is at its best when it immerses you completely in the time period, without any Eden bullshit. AC2/ACB was the best iteration, and that game portrayed the Italian 15th century very accurately. The atmosphere of those games is what made people fall in love with the series. Not the Piece of Eden mythos. Assassins' Creed should drop the modern stuff and be as historically accurate as possible for a game IMO.

Yeah, as historical murder simulators these games are tops. Muddling it with the sci-fi mumbo jumbo was always to it's detriment.

Squire

Banned
I'm pretty sure they're back to a place where the sci-fi element is the vehicle and not the focus. There as very few scenes in Syndicate (like 3-4), none of them are playable, and the "big" thing in the game that hints at where that stuff is going comes up in an optional sequence and the ending cutscene.

So it's very much in the background, already.

Bgamer90

Banned
I would prefer this. I want to catch up with the AC series but previously felt like I couldn't due to yearly releases.

No AC game this year would give me time to play/finish Unity and Syndicate.

injurai

Banned
Holy shit if true, It's like the AC game that I've wanted since 2.

I much prefered the ancient feel of AC1, it felt a little wonky with less mystical weight in the ideology of the Assassin's when it moved forward in time.

Wow, that thread is full of asshole baiters. Those SJW questions. And his answers are not exactly helping.

EDIT: Although, you gotta love the guy that responds to "Recycling makes the game cheaper to make" with "yes but stop doing it".

Squire

Banned

Unity and Syndicate are already edging towards that. I don't think the franchise will embrace it to the point Ubi starts calling it an RPG, but skill points and more unique missions like the "Memories" in AC Syndicate is probably what they're thinking of when they say they want it to be more like The Witcher.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't say it wasn't. I just think Ubisoft is going to want something on the "New Releases" endcap the week the movie comes out.

Ohh yeah. You're right. I also share your thought. An HD collection is the wisest thing to do here.

Top Bottom