• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

812 ideas on improving the condom

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbum

From NYT:

The condom of the future might be made of cow tendon or fish skin. It might have “shape memory” to instantly mold to a specific man. Or it might come with pull tabs so a man could slip it on with little fuss.

Those ideas are among the winners announced Wednesday by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation of a contest to create a condom that men would actually use. The contest, the foundation said, aimed to decrease unintended pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases with “a next-generation condom that significantly preserves or enhances pleasure.”

The foundation received 812 applications, chose 11 and awarded the winners

Many ideas involved materials besides latex, aiming for thinner, stronger, less constricting condoms with better sensation, “reducing the loving distance between partners, so they will be more close,” said Dr. Papa Salif Sow, a Gates senior program officer. Other ideas focused on “how to improve the donning,” he said, because “in sub-Saharan Africa, sex is basically done with low light and it might be very difficult to see the direction of the condom.”

Winners include the “ultrasensitive reconstituted collagen condom” proposed by Apex Medical Technologies in San Diego. Apex’s president, Mark McGlothlin, said his product would feel like skin and be made from collagen fibers from cows’ Achilles tendons or possibly fish skin.

“They’re unbelievably strong,” said Mr. McGlothlin, who currently gets beef tendon from a Vietnamese grocery. “I could yank all day and not break this thing.”

A “wrapping condom” proposal by the California Family Health Council in Los Angeles will build on a version manufactured in Colombia, made of polyethylene plastic that “clings like Saran Wrap rather than squeezes,” according to Ron Frezieres, the council’s vice president for research. It would come in three-packs the size of a credit card and almost as thin, he said,

At least two winners will work with polyurethane, including Richard Chartoff, a University of Oregon chemical engineer, who foresees a “one-size-fits-all” design having shape memory to “fit like an extra layer of skin, conforming to the shape.” He is also considering adding nanoparticles containing antiviral or antibacterial drugs, and, more prosaically, offering different colors.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/21/health/condom-contest-produces-812-ideas-for-improvement.html?hp&_r=0

Good to see people working on these ideas.
And a question:

I've seen these in a magazine article but has anyone used these? They work?

For a Faster Start

LifeStyles Warming Pleasure
The water-based lubricant on this latex sheath contains a warming ingredient that stimulates the clitoris, labia, and vaginal wall. If you heat up slower than a vintage Chevy in the dead of winter, it can work like a hot-wire. Our tester says: "The sensation was mild but very sensual--almost like a warm, wet tongue."

$11 for 12
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/best-condoms

As a vegetarian I find the idea of a cow/fish-collagen derived condom distasteful.

Not sure many omnivores would like to wrap their junk up in dead animals either, as much as they love eating animals.

verbum

As a vegetarian I find the idea of a cow/fish-collagen derived condom distasteful.

Not sure many omnivores would like to wrap their junk up in dead animals either, as much as they love eating animals.

You are not supposed to eat them. : )

Think of it as leather. you have anything made of leather you wear?

K.Sabot

cd658d1531_1373532858_Even-de-spray-met-de-prachtnaam-NeverWet-inspuiten-en-alles-glijdt-ervan-af.gif

Making condoms edible obviously have to be a thing.

Making most consumer waste products should be a thing. Less waste, using more things as food. problem with eating used condoms is obviously the STD risks and the taste, but if they can add some natural flavors to make it less salty, it's only an issue of STDs.

And you waste a lot less non-recycle materials in nature.

Nanomachines on your genitals?

Isn't there a big fear out there that nano technology can screw up a lot of things in our bodies? these small particles have untold consequences. Have we done goofed already?

Someone hasn't heard of lambskin condoms.

That was back in the good old days, when men didn't mind wrapping up their precious parts with the intestines of farmstock if it meant no babies.

I highly doubt anyone in the west would go for it today.

BTW: I love how the OP threw in a lube question that seem to have gone unnoticed. Yes, OP, some of those lubes do work, mainly by increasing blood flow or providing for an interesting sensation.

strata8

Making most consumer waste products should be a thing. Less waste, using more things as food. problem with eating used condoms is obviously the STD risks and the taste, but if they can add some natural flavors to make it less salty, it's only an issue of STDs.

So much easier just to make them easily decomposable than going to the extreme of edible.

shira

That was back in the good old days, when men didn't mind wrapping up their precious parts with the intestines of farmstock if it meant no babies.

I highly doubt anyone in the west would go for it today.

I think it's more that it doesn't prevent STI.

Wow... colour me surprised, I have never seen those in shops.

You learn something everyday.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000052XKL/?tag=neogaf0e-20

No latex allergens. The No. 1 natural skin condom for a more sensual feeling. This product is intended to help prevent pregnancy. It does not protect against HIV infection (AIDS) and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs). In order to help reduce the risk of transmission of many STDs, including HIV infection (AIDS), use a latex condom. Naturalamb brand condoms are ideal for the monogamous couple who desire heightened sensitivity with trusted pregnancy protection. Contains no latex and may be used by latex sensitive people. Water-based lubricant, for comfort and sensitivity. For pregnancy protection only - Does not protect against STDs. Each condom is individually tested to help ensure reliability. Exclusive Kling-Tite band to hold condom in place. Natural feel. No latex. Naturalamb. Naturalamb brand condoms, when used properly, are highly effective against pregnancy - although no contraceptive can guarantee 100% effectiveness. Not to be used for the prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs). To help reduce the risk of catching or spreading many STDs, use a latex condom. Any use of Naturalamb brand condoms for other than vaginal intercourse can increase the potential of damage to the condom. For maximum benefits, it is important to follow the instructions for use printed on the inner side of this package. Failure to do so may result in the loss of the benefits of a condom. A new condom should be applied each and every time before any intimate contact occurs.

Mabef

Banned

Lol, what the fuck?

soepje

Wtff?? This is pretty sick haha

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
About time someone starts working on a legitimate alternative to pulling out.

The right condom is a legitimate alternative. People just haven't found the right condom for them yet - I fucking hated them until I discovered Trojan Magnum Thin. Best things ever, now I'd probably never do it without one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom