• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A harassment campaign against Zoë Quinn, the developer behind Depression Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

boinx

I wonder what board it is then.
While I can see /b/ being that bad, /v/ and /vg/ aren't. Don't get why everyone is bashing them here.

Have you seriously ever read /v/? Because they are that bad. Sure some or even most of it is just trolling but some of the comments there are genuine for sure. The whole board for the most part is just a misogynistic cesspool of stupidity.

Zodzilla

>goes to 4chan not expecting a racist/sexist backlash
rly?

Dumbass goes on /v/ and then complains.

Great way to blame the victim, people.

If your mothers went to a shitty part of town and some guy pulled down their pants and started jerking it next to her while calling her a "dumb slut", I'd totally blame her for it.

Great logic, people.

I'm glad women in the industry are speaking out about how shitty and frustrating it is. It opens my eyes when they would otherwise be closed shut. She's not looking for apologies, she's just looking for people to understand her frustrations and not look the other way.

I know it's too much to ask of the internet at large, but is that too much to ask from people that read and comment on GAF?

RocBase

Gotta love the first instinct to find something -- anything -- the target of harassment did wrong so we can put it on them and not on the people being shitheads.

Wonderful.

This on all levels.

The fact that people can be so blasé about this sort of treatment and accept it as the norm is almost just as damaging as the harassment itself.

I spend my time on /v/ at work because for some reason military networks allow 4chan and it's safer for us. If you don't have thick skin and you're gonna bitch about the smallest thing don't go on any board on 4chan.

It's not for everyone.
wow lol you are truly in no position to be calling anyone a dumbass right now

MOPP 4

Banned
Someone called her phone and jerked off at her. That's a criminal offence. Maybe she shouldn't complain about it, hey?

...why'd she set her private information to public? Basic common sense tells you not to have private information out there. I know for a fact if anyone pulled that shit on me, due to my military rank they'd be federally charged.

If you get offended by an image board there's more things you need to worry about.

Stet

Banned
Discounting something as not being harassment just because it comes from a place that is well known for harassment is a silly exercise in trying desperately to play devil's advocate.

Jebusman

Banned
Have you seriously ever read /v/? Because they are that bad. Sure some or even most of it is just trolling but some of the comments there are genuine for sure. The whole board for the most part is just a misogynistic cesspool of stupidity.

Have you ever read /v/? I mean, have you? Because painting the whole thing as just a misogynistic cesspool really makes it sound like you don't.

However, none of that actually matters here because this didn't come from /v/. Hell from the looks of it it didn't come from 4chan at all, rather one of the spinoff chans like 7chan or 420chan, where they still regularly encourage shit like this.

m00t doesn't let shit like this fly on 4chan anymore. Give him some credit.

I know for a fact if anyone pulled that shit on me, due to my military rank they'd be federally charged.

So let me get this straight. If someone did this to you, they would be charged. Because it would be a crime.

But it happened to her. And she's not military. so it's just "being offended".

That military training must be real handy for the hole you're digging yourself here.

kyser73

...why'd she set her private information to public? Basic common sense tells you not to have private information out there. I know for a fact if anyone pulled that shit on me, due to my military rank they'd be federally charged.

If you get offended by an image board there's more things you need to worry about.

It's good to know the US armed forces are staffed with sympathetic people who don't blame victims.

culafia

Like someone said above, /v/ is basically what NeoGAF would be if it had anonymity. I don't think this community would seem so pristine if it was nameless and we didn't have powerful moderation. There are just as many "enthusiasts" who go there as there are here.

I haven't gone to /v/ in a while because they spoil game plots two weeks before a game comes out, and I dislike their weird bitterness towards certain members of the GB crew as well as anyone who doesn't have a penis (and that's coming from someone who doesn't care at all about social justice), but I don't see a tremendous difference between here and there outside of moderation and no anonymity. This results in people acting less rude, not pulling off raids, and not spoiling games openly too often, but I wonder what would happen if we didn't have a username and moderation...

Mman235

Having someone personally call to sexually harass you over the phone is just "being offended" of course.

If you want to call people dumb asses maybe you could at least read the OP link.

Hexa

No. It really isn't. Not at all. When's the last time you've read /v/?

Yeah, what a dumb fucking slut for wanting to make it through the day without someone jacking off into her phone.

They probably didn't get her number from a phonebook, but any whore who has their number listed deserves it.

But it's ok, because if someone does it to you they'd be federally charged. But if they do it to her, she needs to worry about bigger things, right?

boinx

Have you ever read /v/? I mean, have you? Because painting the whole thing as just a misogynistic cesspool really makes it sound like you don't.

However, none of that actually matters here because this didn't come from /v/. Hell from the looks of it it didn't come from 4chan at all, rather one of the spinoff chans like 7chan or 420chan, where they still regularly encourage shit like this.

m00t doesn't let shit like this fly on 4chan anymore. Give him some credit.

Maybe i was being a bit hyperbolic but you can't deny that stuff like this ain't happening on a regular basis on /v/

Cowie

Did she 'set her private information to public' as you suggest? I'm not aware of how her phone number was uncovered, but as you pointed out, it doesn't really matter -- it isn't acceptable. Even if you yourself set private information to be public, as you've pointed out, it's still not okay or legal to be harassed like this. It's not so much about the fact that there are disgusting posts somewhere on the internet.. but the fact that there are people actually calling her and spouting the same crap. She's using the posts as an easy reference to show examples of what she is dealing with -- the posts themselves aren't the real problem here.

sohois

Let's not pretend that there's not a lot of heinous shit on every 4chan board.

I don't think she did, but that's where the those quotes are from.

Yes, but a number of posters seem to be implying that she went on 4chan herself, which is what attracted the attackers.

I spend my time on /v/ at work because for some reason military networks allow 4chan and it's safer for us. If you don't have thick skin and you're gonna bitch about the smallest thing don't go on any board on 4chan.

Dumbass doesn't read OP and makes idiotic statements.

It's not for everyone.

Unlike reading classes.

culafia

Actually, this isn't even /v/. Why are we pretending it is?

Also beaten to the punch, but that post format doesn't look like its from 4chan.

marrec

Banned

It's not for everyone.

This is a disgusting post indicative of the normal dregs that post on /v/.

Nekofrog

Banned

Spoken like a true A1C fresh out of tech school.

Jesus christ.

Jebusman

Banned
Maybe i was being a bit hyperbolic but you can't deny that stuff like this ain't happening on a regular basis on /v/

I don't deny that at all. But given the very, very large amount of traffic /v/ (and 4chan in general) receives, the "regular basis" is still just a tiny subset of the overall community.

It's still horrible and I can't argue that it needs to stop.

Zodzilla

She's a fucking indie game developer, not a celebrity. How would you like it if someone pulled your gamertag or PSN name from GAF (hypothetically, I have no idea whether you have either here), called you up, and started leaving messages of themselves jerking off?

That'd be publicly given information too.

Wait, you have military rank so it'd be considered a crime for you. This "slut" though? Then it's worth nothing. Apparently she's just dumb for having a twitter account and not being the military.

Red Mage

Occassionally I think to myself, meh, 4Chan probably isn't as bad as I think it is, and then I read something like this, and all is right with the world again.

It's not for everyone.

The article never said she went to 4Chan. That's just the origination of the "raid." You know, like when they pull that crap on those facebook pages/websites dedicated to deceased loved ones or tries to take down gawker when they bring up the fact that they're harassing an 11-year old girl. (I know that wasn't the whole site, just /b/, yadda yadda yadda. That's how you can have pedophiles and To-Catch-A-Predator-Wannabes on the same site.)

Anyhow, I feel bad for her having to deal with these scumbags. One thing I don't understand from her posts, however, is this line:

But just go fuck yourself if you think that games is a meritocracy.

Er... aren't games a meritocracy, in a way? If a game is good and/or interesting, it usually (but not always) becomes popular. If it's crap, not so much. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but I don't get what she's complaining about here.

boinx

I don't deny that at all. But given the very, very large amount of traffic /v/ (and 4chan in general) receives, the "regular basis" is still just a tiny subset of the overall community.

It's still horrible and I can't argue that it needs to stop.

Unfortunately the anonymous nature of the site guarantees that it's probably never going to stop but at least reducing it would be something.

marrec

Banned
Er... aren't games a meritocracy, in a way? If a game is good and/or interesting, it usually (but not always) becomes popular. If it's crap, not so much. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but I don't get what she's complaining about here.

I think, and I may be wrong, that she means 'making games'. Making games shouldn't be a meritocracy where good and interesting games are derided because the creator is new to the industry or, heaven forbid, a woman making a game for the first time.

I could be wrong about her intention with that tweet. Otherwise yes, the actual games themselves should be judged based on the merit of playing the games.

ArjanN

People are assuming it's 4chan because of the board layout in her twitter screenshot.

I just clicked on a Walking Dead topic on the first page in /v/

About two thirds of the posts in there would get you permabanned on gaf.

JoeInky

Because NeoGAF loves to hate on /v/, they feel like it gives them some kind of moral high ground or something.

There isn't even a walking dead thread on /v/ at the moment unless it literally just got pruned.

Mesoian

Oh look, the internet is being terrible again.

Great. No really, good.

Between this and the mighty number 9 bullshit, it might be time to start taking people's computers away.

I think, and I may be wrong, that she means 'making games'. Making games shouldn't be a meritocracy where good and interesting games are derided because the creator is new to the industry or, heaven forbid, a woman making a game for the first time.
That's how I interpreted it too. That (ignoring the financial side), no group should dictate who can and cannot make an artistic expression for whatever arbitrary reason.

So some people on /b apparently don't like that woman made a startlingly accurate educational game about a medical condition and put it up on greenlight? Tough.

Red Mage

I could be wrong about her intention with that tweet. Otherwise yes, the actual games themselves should be judged based on the merit of playing the games.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I think she should've chosen a better term, though:

First definition of Bing Dictionary (Don't hate, work hates google for some reason):

1.system based on ability: a social system that gives opportunities and advantages to people on the basis of their ability rather than, e.g. their wealth or seniority.

Hence my confusion. xD

It's probably awful for me to say so, but I sort of hope your CO's see these posts somehow, or perhaps some of the crap you obviously post on /v/.

OG Loc

Just a heads up I have a degree, DLPT'ed in 2 Middle Eastern languages, and work in intel. I'm no where near the Enlisted side.

If only the military gave classes on how to formulate better arguments and how to not victim blame.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
AwR9HED.jpg

Lot of "ironic" use of the f and n bombs, although that's just become part of a completely crass but RELATIVELY benign memetic lexicon, compared to the intention behind the way those words are thrown around on a white supremacist site.

Stet

Banned
It's very likely it's not actually 4chan, but one of the many other smaller chans using the same color scheme.

The post # is just too low to be any of 4chan's current boards. Not even the slow boards have posts down that low.

The only boards remotely in the range of the post numbers are Travel and Transportaion and both are under the needed id.
This probably was not 4chan, or the images are modified.
Definitely not /v/ which is in the 222 mil territory.

What board was this? It can't be /b/, /v/, /vg/, or /g/ by the post numbers. :/

This wasn't 4chan by the way. It was wizardchan going by the pictures.

Also beaten to the punch, but that post format doesn't look like its from 4chan.

Who cares where it came from? Those posts may have been from elsewhere, but I literally just grabbed these from /v/. They're just as bad, people are fucking awful and there's no reason to defend the aggressors.

i9gHVhR9aeVH7.png

iovc9kfUReUOJ.png

ibv4TTHOO7HaSG.png

Jebusman

Banned
I just loaded up /v/ for shits and giggles and hey, there is a picture of a man shitting on a baby.

Yep.

Fun fact, contrary to popular belief, /v/ has rules.

When something like that gets posted, it gets reported, and then a janitor/mod deletes it.

People post shit like that all the time to Facebook/Reddit to see what they can get away with. It doesn't mean everyone on Facebook has a baby shitting fetish.

Orayn

Lot of "ironic" use of the f and n bombs, although that's just become part of a completely crass but RELATIVELY benign memetic lexicon, compared to the intention behind the way those words are thrown around on a white supremacist site.

I'd say they're mixed in with the other kind of usage thanks to /pol/ giving the crazies a foothold on the site.

U-R

Internet hate is so retarded and disgusting, not counting that her game is actually very good.

Anyways, i don't usually vote on Greenlight, but since 4chan compelled me: +YES.

Nekofrog

Banned
Fun fact, contrary to popular belief, /v/ has rules.

When something like that gets posted, it gets reported, and then a janitor/mod deletes it.

People post shit like that all the time to Facebook/Reddit to see what they can get away with. It doesn't mean everyone on Facebook has a baby shitting fetish.

The very fact that you made your claim, and then I was able to go literally 2 minutes later and find that on the front page means that it is infested.

Or just a one in a million coinkidink, huh?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Citing 4chan (or some board on the web which has known elements or screwed up people like these)..seriously? I think people should just stop taking it up to their nostrils and restrain themselves from being part of above boards/forums/etc.

As for the phone calls*.. <- that down right harassment (complain and kick their butts in the jail?)

Edit: People should just avoid taking part in such circumstances, only attracts more flak. I am not saying not defend yourself, I am saying defend where there are people around one/you; who have sense (logic, understanding, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom