• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A harassment campaign against Zoë Quinn, the developer behind Depression Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir,

Can we dig up more information about this, I was a bit shocked when I read the first instance news..but currently I am struck in between the later and feeling betrayed that I got played into it.

A humble request to Detective GAF, is it fake or real? (about the whole harassment pics)

try reading the thread

Whoa, whoa. I'm not a sociopath because it's the right thing to do, not because Sky God threatens punishment.

These people are just assholes.

its just a phrase

People trying to partition this incident--"Oh, that's not 4chan." or "Of course, it's 4chan."--are missing the point.

This kind of harassment is a persistent issue that happens all over the games industry: on boards, in comment sections, in blog posts, tweets, on Facebook, at bars, over the phone, and in convention halls. It's not something to be dismissed as a couple of rude people in some foreign corner of the internet.

It's a terrible problem, and waving it away allows it to continue.

Shiina

People trying to partition this incident--"Oh, that's not 4chan." or "Well, that wouldn't be in /v."--are missing the point.

This kind of harassment is a persistent issue that happens all over the games industry: on boards, in comment sections, in blog posts, tweets, on Facebook, at bars, over the phone, and in convention halls. It's not something to be dismissed as a couple of rude people in some foreign corner of the internet.

What do you propose to do?

Stet

Banned
People trying to partition this incident--"Oh, that's not 4chan." or "Well, that wouldn't be in /v."--are missing the point.

Exactly. It's not quite moving the goalposts when the goalposts are everywhere.

aeolist

Banned
It's on greenlight so I just assumed it would be for a price and added that onto a reason why I thought they were doing it.

Also I've been diagnosed with depression, I go to counselling and take anti depressants and I honestly don't see what's good about it, but I'm generally one of the people who hates "artsy games" that don't require any skill or are trying to convey some sort of message about some shit, that's just not what games are too me personally.

I can see why a group of depressed single people with no friends or job can be pissed off at a game that says "You are depressed but you have a SO, a group of friends and a job", It's stupid to take it as far as they have though.

She's going to probably get massive amounts of publicity for it due to the bandwagon that's currently going on anyway.

my girlfriend has depression, a SO, some friends, and a job

assholes on the internet who self-diagnose and harass people for daring to be female and speak out on mental illness issues have no excuse

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
/b/ is a trial-by-fire kind of place: if you can stand those imbeciles, you have the strength to do anything

I feel like it's the other way around. If you can't stand those imbeciles you have proof that you are still human inside.

Fuck this shit man, I hope this game gets greenlit even though I don't really care about it

marrec

Banned
What do you propose to do?

First thing is support new developers making interesting games regardless of their sexual identity.

Second, if you go to /v/ or /b/ or have ever playfully participated in a conversation that would not be out of place on either of those boards, then stop. Stop justifying it by saying it's not all bad, or by saying that you used the word 'bitch cunt' as a joke. Have discussions like an adult who's not afraid of the changing face of game development.

If you already do those two things, then you're golden. You've done your part.

Other women on the internet don't get this treatment, it's not all so simple all of the time. In the specific case of Jennifer Hepler, the other Bioware leads at that time got the same treatment. There was always the insulting "Hamburger Helper" nick name and the equivalent "Mack The Hack".
One chose to engage the hateful crowd, one chose to ignore it.

This is all well and true, but it seems the overwhelming majority of the hate spewed by the gaming community is towards women, even if it's not-specifically targeted toward one female or another. "That's just the misogynist culture of gaming" (or, "That's just the Internet") is a horrible answer, and lends this complacency toward our hobby that paints us in a very bad light AND simultaneously traps us in this tunnel vision of objectification and harassment towards people who aren't "us." (we reinforce the system, yadda yadda)

Unfortunately, the Internet is the world's fastest hate tool, and the last respite for ideas attacked in the 'real world.'

So she plays the victim card because she found negative and stupid comments on 4chan? FFS!

I don't think being called and bombarded with the sounds of one pleasuring themselves can go hand in hand with the "victim" card.

Surely you can find better examples of people playing the victim card. This isn't one of them.

First thing is support new developers making interesting games regardless of their sexual identity.

Second, if you go to /v/ or /b/ or have ever playfully participated in a conversation that would not be out of place on either of those boards, then stop. Stop justifying it by saying it's not all bad, or by saying that you used the word 'bitch cunt' as a joke. Have discussions like an adult who's not afraid of the changing face of game development.

And the post above me nails it.

Internet vigilantism (for whatever reason) is truly all over the place. As awful an example as this is, it doesn't compare to the Boston bomber witch hunt, or when Spike Lee tweeted the wrong address of George Zimmerman. If you really somehow believed in mob justice, you could give parts of /b/ credit for going after dozens of perpetrators of animal abuse.

I wonder if people wouldn't have immediately taken to shitting on 4chan if goodwill ambassador MOPP didn't come in swinging.

The place where these dregs choose to hang out isn't the problem, it's the dregs. I'm sure 4chan would be a lovely place without them.

iGioxEg3Izkx0.png

iL7bIL2V2XF2a.png

(Durrrr, wrong again.)
It's weird to me that this guy appears bothered by his hangout being wrongfully accused of despicable acts when it's been linked to plenty such previously, which is why the notion wasn't challenged in the first place. Most were just "abhorrent behavior from 4chan? makes sense."
If you don't like this reputation then stop your shitty people from being shitty. He shouldn't take it personally. Unless he is one of the aforementioned dregs.

If the worst a 4chan person has to say about NeoGAF is that we're whiteknighting, then hey, that's kind of a compliment. Thank you.

The place where these dregs choose to hang out isn't the problem, it's the dregs. I'm sure 4chan would be a lovely place without them.

It's weird to me that this guy appears bothered by his hangout being wrongfully accused of despicable acts when it's been linked to plenty such previously, which is why the notion wasn't challenged in the first place. Most were just "abhorrent behavior from 4chan? makes sense."
If you don't like this reputation then stop your shitty people from being shitty. He shouldn't take it personally. Unless he is one of the aforementioned dregs.

If the worst a 4chan person has to say about NeoGAF is that we're whiteknighting, then hey, that's kind of a compliment. Thank you.

You do know other chan sites exist right?

I am in two minds reading the responses on this thread.

The first mind is incredibly depressed at seeing the knee-jerk victim blaming and mind-boggling insensitivity.

The second mind is relieved that it seems the majority of posters have a heart, some common sense, and are somewhat decent people.

I wish this woman nothing but the best.

Riddick

she got a phone call from someone who jacked off at her and was harassed on twitter

try again asshole

First of all, calm down with the insults, I didn't insult you, learn how to discuss with others. Second, her proof in those tweets is 4chan trolling which is the prevalent form of "communication" in 4chan. The phone call is indeed disgusting if true but not something uncommon when 4chan finds out someone's phone number. This has nothing to do with her being a woman and everything to do with 4chan being assholes.

my girlfriend has depression, a SO, some friends, and a job

assholes on the internet who self-diagnose and harass people for daring to be female and speak out on mental illness issues have no excuse

All of which many of these people don't have. There is no denying that these people are sexist or hateful but starting with "You are a mid-twenties human being. You have a significant other named Alex who you are rather fond of, that you have been seeing exclusively for the past few months. The rest of your social circle consists of a variety of friends and acquaintances, some of whom you met at your day job which is a little boring, but pays the rent." would make them hate the game regardless of the gender of who made it. I'd imagine the hate was intensified because the creator was a women though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Gotta love the first instinct to find something -- anything -- the target of harassment did wrong so we can put it on them and not on the people being shitheads.

Wonderful.

You think this is wild, you should visit the off topic forum sometimes.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
.below is the only hit I got from google
.currently that page no longer exists
.google cache also shows some other content, instead of the search query match

Edit: beaten by Coxy (I was digging the net back then)

I remember when that game first came out /v/ liked it.

I'm aware the caps on her twitter aren't from 4chan, just thought I'd point it out.

Although the whole site has a hateboner for the tiniest hint of feminism now that knowing it was made by a woman has discredited it.

okayfrog

Banned
I can't blame those losers. As someone who can relate to them more than her, playing a game called "Depression Quest" and finding out the character actually had a gf only served to depress me more.

She isn't exactly responding well but it is understandable. I am not certain it is precisely because she is a woman which she makes it out to be. I am certain other devs, even males, get harassed over the internet including with death threats etc. Definitely isn't an issue that should be easily brushed aside, but the day bullying is dealt with entirely - I'll be shocked.

frequency

Why did the thread become about 4chan or whatever else __chan anyway? Is it really that important which forum it started on?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
First of all, calm down with the insults, I didn't insult you, learn how to discuss with others. Second, her proof in those tweets is 4chan trolling which is the prevalent form of "communication" in 4chan. The phone call is indeed disgusting if true but not something uncommon when 4chan finds out someone's phone number. This has nothing to do with her being a woman and everything to do with 4chan being assholes.

Oh, well that makes it all better. It's just what 4chan does. Calm down everybody, nothing to see here.

StayDead

I really dislike that people are blaming 4chan when this is a completely different chan site causing the initial problems.

I don't frequent 4chan by any means but it really isn't this hive of villainy that people make it out to be.

Two things: saying "she can just go out and get laid and have all her problems solved" is basically admitting that your biggest problem personally is an inability find someone drunk and/or stupid enough to fuck you; saying "don't go to 4chan if you don't like it lol" is a bullshit response which is the same as saying someone walking down the street at night deserved to be mugged because it was dark and the neighbourhood was sketchy.

So she plays the victim card because she found negative and stupid comments on 4chan? FFS!

And had someone wank off into her phone.

CHICKS AMIRITE

Red Mage

I could easily pull some pretty choice quotes from some OT rape threads by people who just barely grazed a ban bullet. The may not be anywhere near as bad as the worst you could find on 4chan, but every community certainly has a handful of uncomfortable members who's comments stand out but shouldn't be interpreted as the board as a whole.

Anonymity makes shitty people shittier, but there's about as much a 4chan hivemind as there is a mythical gaf hivemind.

Edit: oh shit : O

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I don't think there's a hivemind on 4Chan. This site has some awful people, any site does. But none of those other sites are full of pedophiles, miscreants, etc. which are tolerated in any form or fashion. It'd be like posting on Storm Front. You may not share those views, but they're prevalent enough, imo, that you taint yourself by association.

Zia

Little, pathetic creatures whose only impact on life is inflicting temporary misery onto those who do contribute something while any semblance of an existence they derive (read: conjure) meaning from is confined to dark, soon-forgotten corners of the internet.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I can't blame those losers. As someone who can relate to them more than her, playing a game called "Depression Quest" and finding out the character actually had a gf only served to depress me more.
I have a long term intimate relationship and a very happy life in general. I still suffer from depression.

Treating depression like it's caused solely by factors in your life and not the condition itself is one of the worst mistakes a depressed person can make and hinders discussion of the subject in general.

And a woman is no less qualified to talk about depression than a man (not that you're saying this, but the perpetrators are).

StayDead

I think the person who isn't reading the thread...is you.

I've been reading the thread and from what I can read it seems people have jumped on the good old "let's hate 4chan" bandwagon. There's something with the internet that if anything has anything to do with any chan of any kind doing something, the blame gets put straight onto 4chan for pretty much 0 reason. Yes, you have people who were calling her an attention whore on /v/ more than likely but It'd be strange if someone wasn't called an attention whore on /v/ regardless of whatever sex they are.

Why did the thread become about 4chan or whatever else __chan anyway? Is it really that important which forum it started on?
It's hard to talk about this specific type of harassment without:

1) saying "oh it's 4chan, it's just what they do, ignore it / she brought it on herself"

2) blaming 4chan for stuff they didn't do, or at worst, stuff a handful of assholes do whom just happen to post on 4chan.

I hope the main takeaway of this thread is that people know about the game. It's really fantastic

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I don't think there's a hivemind on 4Chan. This site has some awful people, any site does. But none of those other sites are full of pedophiles, miscreants, etc. which are tolerated in any form or fashion. It'd be like posting on Storm Front. You may not share those views, but they're prevalent enough, imo, that you taint yourself by association.
Hah, I should have written my post better to make certain that I don't think there's a 4chan hivemind, just like there's no gaf hivemind. Going from the cosplay board to the science and math one is about as different as to two communities can get, but they're still both under the '4chan' banner.

marrec

Banned
She isn't exactly responding well but it is understandable. I am not certain it is precisely because she is a woman which she makes it out to be. I am certain other devs, even males, get harassed over the internet including with death threats etc. Definitely isn't an issue that should be easily brushed aside, but the day bullying is dealt with entirely - I'll be shocked.

I'm not a victim of any kind of harassment on the web (the worst I've got is a few nasty PMs here on NeoGAF) but I can imagine that given enough harassment over time it's inevitable that someone will eventually respond badly to it. She's just blowing off steam in a public way, which is necessary sometimes.

Responding badly to harassment is Phil Fish. :lol

phuturist

Banned

Of course I do number one, but...I am never alllowed to use 4chan again? That seems a bit unreasonable, or what do you mean?

This is all well and true, but it seems the overwhelming majority of the hate spewed by the gaming community is towards women, even if it's not-specifically targeted toward one female or another. "That's just the misogynist culture of gaming" (or, "That's just the Internet") is a horrible answer, and lends this complacency toward our hobby that paints us in a very bad light AND simultaneously traps us in this tunnel vision of objectification and harassment towards people who aren't "us." (we reinforce the system, yadda yadda)

Look, Adam Sessler, Phil Fish, Patrick Klepeck, Marcus Beer, Boogie2988, Peter Molyneux, Robert Florence, Jim Sterling, Geoff Keighly, Don Mattrick, Bobby Kotick, those Call Of Duty community managers, etc. etc. I could go on for ages, are not women. Yet they still get a lot of hate and abuse.
So what unites most of these guys with the women that you say are so often the target of harassment? I assume you mean Anita Sarkeesian, Jennifer Hepler, that MN9 CM and now this case.

They are all doing things that people dislike alot, in many cases they are openly engaging in controversial conversations in a rather aggressive and or judgemental fashion. It should come as no suprise, that on the internet, where every anonymous frustrated man or woman can say anything without repercussions, that results in a very agressive mob.

The overall frustration and annoyance in the gaming community will not recede, if we ignore that not only women get treated like shit, because if we always have a gender discussion during every single incident like this that involves women, it further seperates female and male video game enthusiasts.
I certainly feel that I become weary and suspicious of feminists do and say and I hate myself for that. I really hate it, believe me.

I just want everyone to be nice and treated equal. =(

Edit: I hope I don't come across as if I was of the opinion those people deserv what they get. They don't, even if I wish some would be a bit more friendly or do some things differently. Situations like this are horrible and wrong, wether you made a stupid comment or mean business decision or not.

okayfrog

Banned
I have a long term intimate relationship and a very happy life in general. I still suffer from depression.

Treating depression like it's caused solely by factors in your life and not the condition itself is one of the worst mistakes a depressed person can make and hinders discussion of the subject in general.

And a woman is no less qualified to talk about depression than a man (not that you're saying this, but the perpetrators are).

Hey, I'm just tellin' ya how I feel. I wish I didn't feel this way because it definitely belittles people like yourself who actually suffer from real depression, but I kinda do, and so do those loser folk on 4chan or whatever chan the posts are from.

okayfrog

Banned
I hope the main takeaway of this thread is that people know about the game. It's really fantastic

Is there a version of the game where the person is like a really big loser and nothing good happens to them at all? Like, no gf, no friends, no parties, no people showing interest in them at all, nothing? That's the type of game I'd like. I want more characters in video games or film or tv like that.

Red Mage

Internet vigilantism (for whatever reason) is truly all over the place. As awful an example as this is, it doesn't compare to the Boston bomber witch hunt, or when Spike Lee tweeted the wrong address of George Zimmerman. If you really somehow believed in mob justice, you could give parts of /b/ credit for going after dozens of perpetrators of animal abuse.

I wonder if people wouldn't have immediately taken to shitting on 4chan if goodwill ambassador MOPP didn't come in swinging.

No. I wasn't even going to post until he started up with his crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom