• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A harassment campaign against Zoë Quinn, the developer behind Depression Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeInky

Who cares where it came from? Those posts may have been from elsewhere, but I literally just grabbed these from /v/. They're just as bad, people are fucking awful and there's no reason to defend the aggressors.

i9gHVhR9aeVH7.png

iovc9kfUReUOJ.png

ibv4TTHOO7HaSG.png

None of those are "just as bad" though.

phuturist

Banned
/v/ has been pretty terrible since all sensible discussion wandered off to /vg/ which is an awesome place that I like to visit from time to time.

If people really did call her, that's scary as fuck and horrible.

Those posts on /v/ are not really....unusual though. No matter who you are, there are posts that say you should die.

And no, some people are not blaming the victim, they are looking for reasons why other female developers get no harassment. They want to know why this started. That doesn't mean they are of the opinion it's all justified. But ok, yes, maybe one shouldn't even start doing that at least for a few days.

Edit: Wowwwup. Sorry. Looking at the post numbers, this is not 4chan at all. So where does this come from then?

Later on the road when we learn that she made all those posts herself to boost her spotlight inducing users to buy her game for pity

/whatatwist.

/v/ has been pretty terrible since all sensible discussion wandered off to /vg/ which is an awesome place that I like to visit from time to time.
I once went to a P4 thread in /vg and nobody spoiled the identity of the killer. That sounds like a low bar, but people were polite enough to respect that. No babies were pooped on in that thread, to say the least.

Jebusman

Banned
The very fact that you made your claim, and then I was able to go literally 2 minutes later and find that on the front page means that it is infested.

Or just a one in a million coinkidink, huh?

Because unpaid mods sit around 24/7 ready to respond to reports for this stuff. It has been reported, and it will be deleted. What part of this are you trying to argue?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand people. Why are they attacking her for?

Going to take a look at the game now.

Red Mage

Later on the road when we learn that she made all those posts herself to boost her spotlight inducing users to buy her game for pity

/whatatwist.

Yeah, because 4Chan would never pull crap like this, right?

Because they're insecure man-children who view any women acting like equals as a threat to their social order?

Jebusman

Banned
I once went to a P4 thread in /vg and nobody spoiled the identity of the killer. That sounds like a low bar, but people were polite enough to respect that. No babies were pooped on in that thread, to say the least.

That's because Waifu Simulator 4 is sacred to 4chan. Also /vg/ is much more strict about being about video games and only video games. It's the equivalent of our OT threads in the Gaming Community section.

Look, no one is going to argue that NOTHING bad ever happens at 4chan. All I want people to understand is that in this instance, this was not 4chan's doing. Are there still horrible people there? Yes. But not the ones who did this.

JoeInky

It got posted on wizchan which is basically a board for depressed neets and they got all pissed that some girl who they don't feel actually has depression is just using it as an excuse to be all "look at how profound and deep my game is" to get money.

That's what seems to have happened.

I'll never understand this hate for women in the gaming industry. I remember writing a paper in college over the Jennifer Hepler incident, and once I started to dig deep down into that, I wanted the entire world to burn for being such a horrible place.

I'm not surprised that 'the Internet' (be it /b/, /v/, /whatever/) were able to get her number. For sites like 4chan, et al., that's as tame as it gets. Next is the physical hate mail, I'm sure.

This thread has me depressed. Lo, the irony.

Nekofrog

Banned
Because unpaid mods sit around 24/7 ready to respond to reports for this stuff. It has been reported, and it will be deleted. What part of this are you trying to argue?

That I was able to look on /v/ for all of 30 seconds and see it. Meaning that anything you or anyone else has said about it "not being like that" is wrong.

I'm sure as hell not going to open up a random Facebook and see it.

Jebusman

Banned
Are people actually trying to defend 4chan?

You can defend parts of something without agreeing to it as a whole. This is not a black/white situation.

This is how it goes

1. There are horrible people on 4chan.

2. There are also not horrible people on 4chan.

People are fully willing to accept that #1, and only #1 are true.

I want people to understand that both #1 and #2 are true, and that we all want #1 to reduce in numbers and/or go away, but that never will happen.

These people think women can't or shouldn't be 'allowed' to suffer from depression? They think lack of sex is the only thing that causes depression? (and thus, sex is the only cure?)

I don't... I just don't understand how some people think, man.

Red Mage

But this thread has absolutely nothing to do with 4chan.

I don't know what 4Chan looks like these days, as I've not gone there in a very long time, and no interest to do so, especially at work. If it's not 4Chan it's not them, but the arguement still holds. The poster seemed to think that whatever site it was, would never ever do something like this. Plus, 4Chan does this kind of crap all of the time.

It's like that OT thread where the child molester was falsely imprisoned for 10 years for a rape he didn't commit. Terrible that he was put in jail for a crime he didn't commit, but considering it wasn't above what he was known to do, I don't feel a lot of sympathy for the guy.

aeolist

Banned
I'll never understand this hate for women in the gaming industry. I remember writing a paper in college over the Jennifer Hepler incident, and once I started to dig deep down into that, I wanted the entire world to burn for being such a horrible place.

I'm not surprised that 'the Internet' (be it /b/, /v/, /whatever/) were able to get her number. For sites like 4chan, et al., that's as tame as it gets. Next is the physical hate mail, I'm sure.

socially maladjusted men play a lot of games

they can't get girlfriends therefore all women hate games and people who play them, the only ones who don't are faking it for attention

the rest follows from there

It got posted on wizchan which is basically a board for depressed neets and they got all pissed that some girl who they don't feel actually has depression is just using it as an excuse to be all "look at how profound and deep my game is" to get money.
I'm not about to argue the nuances of someone's personal mental afflictions, but how someone who's been professionally diagnosed could play that game and not have it hit disturbingly close to home after only the first two choices is unbelievable to me.

Also researching and constructive a game about an illness, while allegedly not having said illness, for the sake of a free educational web game that's been out for ten months is a pretty elaborate way to "get money."

phuturist

Banned
Being a woman on the internet, it seems.

Other women on the internet don't get this treatment, it's not all so simple all of the time. In the specific case of Jennifer Hepler, the other Bioware leads at that time got the same treatment. There was always the insulting "Hamburger Helper" nick name and the equivalent "Mack The Hack".
One chose to engage the hateful crowd, one chose to ignore it.

marrec

Banned

It's the same boys club mentality that gets women called out for being 'fake geek girls' all the time. Gamers at their core are a community of nerds who were likely rejected by a woman at some point in their lives so we shouldn't be surprised that there's an undercurrent of resentment toward women (a small one, but a vocal one).

Couple that with the normal sex based discrimination you get in society...

Like most people already said, those twitter pics are 100% fake.

Pretty much every board on 4chan has higher post count than 60k.

1346026320014.png

Even /wsg/ now has 300k+ post count.

Wilsongt

These people think women can't or shouldn't be 'allowed' to suffer from depression? They think lack of sex is the only thing that causes depression? (and thus, sex is the only cure?)

I don't... I just don't understand how some people think, man.

There are people who also say that men shouldn't suffer from depression. That they just need to "man up" or "toughen up." It's all bullshit.

Jebusman

Banned

1346026320014.png

They're not fake. They just came from a different chan site. There are a lot more than just 4chan.

As well, even if they were fake, the fact that the mentality exists is bad enough, as no one should have to go through this kind of harassment for any reason.

godhard

Neo Member
I'm really confused about this, I cannot find much about this at all except the storify. Anyone got source on the "raid" or her being doxed?

Red Mage

1346026320014.png

They're not fake, the news story just assumed it was 4Chan or 4Chan related because it was apparently a -chan site (wizchan?) and 4Chan has a record of doing stuff like this.

Are people actually trying to defend 4chan?
I could easily pull some pretty choice quotes from some OT rape threads by people who just barely grazed a ban bullet. The may not be anywhere near as bad as the worst you could find on 4chan, but every community certainly has a handful of uncomfortable members who's comments stand out but shouldn't be interpreted as the board as a whole.

Anonymity makes shitty people shittier, but there's about as much a 4chan hivemind as there is a mythical gaf hivemind.

Edit: oh shit : O

Cowie

1346026320014.png

Do we know these posts are specifically from 4chan? There's no indication of that in her posts, only in those of people who saw them. The posts are from a message board using that style, but surely 4chan isn't the only board like that? I'm not so sure jumping to 'Fake' is really fair here.

Shiina

God I hate 4chan. They're so megalomaniacal, we don't assume that the harassment started there... we just don't waste any opportunity to point out how dreadfully awful 4chan is.

Actually people did just that. It's just that once people proved them wrong, they went on to talking about how bad 4chan is instead.

marrec

Banned
Do we know these posts are specifically from 4chan? There's no indication of that in her posts, only in those of people who saw them. The posts are from a message board using that style, but surely 4chan isn't the only board like that? I'm not so sure jumping to 'Fake' is really fair here.

Again, earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the posts in question are from wizchan.

We should now stop the 4chan hate train (keep it warm though, it'll be running again soon) and focus on letting everyone know that Depression Quest is actually a pretty great game that needs Greenlight support.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

image snip

Sir,

Can we dig up more information about this, I was a bit shocked when I read the first instance news..but currently I am struck in between the later and feeling betrayed that I got played into it.

A humble request to Detective GAF, is it fake or real? (about the whole harassment pics)

JoeInky

I'm not about to argue the nuances of someone's personal mental afflictions, but how someone who's been professionally diagnosed could play that game and not have it hit disturbingly close to home after only the first two choices is unbelievable to me.

Also researching and constructive a game about an illness, while allegedly not having said illness, for the sake of a free educational web game that's been out for ten months is a pretty elaborate way to "get money."

It's on greenlight so I just assumed it would be for a price and added that onto a reason why I thought they were doing it.

Also I've been diagnosed with depression, I go to counselling and take anti depressants and I honestly don't see what's good about it, but I'm generally one of the people who hates "artsy games" that don't require any skill or are trying to convey some sort of message about some shit, that's just not what games are too me personally.

I can see why a group of depressed single people with no friends or job can be pissed off at a game that says "You are depressed but you have a SO, a group of friends and a job", It's stupid to take it as far as they have though.

She's going to probably get massive amounts of publicity for it due to the bandwagon that's currently going on anyway.

Coxy

the origin site is wizardchan v9k board, "virgin 9000, Depression and threads about women."

you can stop tryng to out this as fake now

Jebusman

Banned
We should now stop the 4chan hate train (keep it warm though, it'll be running again soon) and focus on letting everyone know that Depression Quest is actually a pretty great game that needs Greenlight support.

This right here.

You can hate on 4chan all you want when they (eventually) do something horrible again, but the best thing right now would be to actually give the game some positive support and attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom