• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A harassment campaign against Zoë Quinn, the developer behind Depression Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just checked out Wizchan.

Pack it up folks, it's okay. Life has already punished them enough by making them a bunch of socially maladjusted virgins who refer to themselves as "wizards".

Stet

Banned
I've been reading the thread and from what I can read it seems people have jumped on the good old "let's hate 4chan" bandwagon. There's something with the internet that if anything has anything to do with any chan of any kind doing something, the blame gets put straight onto 4chan for pretty much 0 reason. Yes, you have people who were calling her an attention whore on /v/ more than likely but It'd be strange if someone wasn't called an attention whore on /v/ regardless of whatever sex they are.

That's kind of defensive reasoning. The point of all the screengrabs from /v/ was that it doesn't matter if it came from wizardchan or 4chan, because neither of them are exactly bastions of progressive thought. It's just evidence of how endemic this kind of attitude is on the communities of the Internet. I'm not going to lie and say that NeoGAF is free from that attitude either.

At any rate, hiding behind anonymity is a great way to champion free speech, but it's hardly the way to have constructive conversations because everyone is constantly trying to outdo each other for who can be more free in their speech.

Riddick

Oh, well that makes it all better. It's just what 4chan does. Calm down everybody, nothing to see here.

The point is that using 4chan as proof of being persecuted is fucking lazy and intellectually dishonest. I've been told to kill myself in 4chan multiple times and I wasn't posting there much either. Either you're overweight, a little ugly, have one toe less, or just exist 4chan will find something to troll you about if they decide they don't like you.

Following this logic I can prove that white men are being persecuted by just posting in 4chan for a day and leaving my phone number there.

marrec

Banned
Of course I do number one, but...I am never alllowed to use 4chan again? That seems a bit unreasonable, or what do you mean?

That site (and those like it) cultivate hateful culture.

No, not everyone who posts on them is bad and I quite like /vg/ actually, but there is a not insignificant percentage of truly hateful people that feel justified in their ability to openly post their vitriol.

Remember, the question that someone asked was 'What can I do?' and that's my answer. If you don't want to do anything to further the goal of internet egalitarianism, then ignore my advice. If you really want to help stop bullshit like this though, then you need to start with your own actions.

It's up to you. I'm sure there's other ways to help as well like being a vocal advocate for change.

I find it hard to believe that people would hate on her simply because she's a female game designer. There has to be more to it than that. That just sounds way too stupid to believe.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Well I just checked out Wizchan.

Pack it up folks, it's okay. Life has already punished them enough by making them a bunch of socially maladjusted virgins who refer to themselves as "wizards".
You gotta appreciate the irony of a bunch of people who clearly don't understand depression accusing a developer of not understanding depression.

(I've not played Depression Quest so I don't know whether it is accurate, but their reasons given are as erroneous and self-defeating as it gets)

The point is that using 4chan as proof of being persecuted is fucking lazy and intellectually dishonest. I've been told to kill myself in 4chan multiple times and I wasn't posting there much either. Either you're overweight, a little ugly, have one toe less, or just exist 4chan will find something to troll you about if they decide they don't like you.

Following this logic I can prove that white men are being persecuted by just posting in 4chan for a day and leaving my phone number there.

1) The posts aren't from 4chan
2) They called her up and jacked off into her phone
3) wtf srsly wtf

Wizardchan is a very very obscure site.

ibknN3Fv2SMyS6.png

You don't stumble into sites like this by a random chance.

Just saying.

Red Mage

I find it hard to believe that people would hate on her simply because she's a female game designer. There has to be more to it than that. That just sounds way too stupid to believe.

Well, she also dared to talk about depression. Apparently in their world, Females get a +5 check against it or something.

Yes, 4chan is now calling her up and masturbating on the phone as we speak

Give it time.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
That's kind of defensive reasoning. The point of all the screengrabs from /v/ was that it doesn't matter if it came from wizardchan or 4chan, because neither of them are exactly bastions of prog...

Communication and relationship is tied to geography/social groups/location/etc, it does matter to take it seriously or not. There is always a need to understand and to know, if a sect of people who were good prior have not gone rogue.

Wizardchan is a very very obscure site.

ibknN3Fv2SMyS6.png

You don't stumble into sites like this by a random chance.

Just saying.

She does business online, she would have been going through her traffic and referrer logs and found the site. The picture posted on the site is on her homepage, it was probably hotlinked.

Not everything is a big conspiracy.

Mesoian

And yet, here we are. 1 day after people threaten Kenji Inafune with pulling their money out of Might Number 9 because their CM is both (gasp) a woman and a feminist who is too young to have played Megaman when they were new (shocking I know).

No, it's things like this that keep this hobby of ours a perpetual joke.

iammeiam

She isn't exactly responding well but it is understandable. I am not certain it is precisely because she is a woman which she makes it out to be. I am certain other devs, even males, get harassed over the internet including with death threats etc. Definitely isn't an issue that should be easily brushed aside, but the day bullying is dealt with entirely - I'll be shocked.

I don't know, it'd be pretty hard to convince me the content of the phone call wasn't specifically because she's female. It's possible she'd have been attacked if she were male, but the specifics of what are happening here (including her quoted posts) are specifically because she's female.

I think there are some pretty clear tonal changes in attacks where females are involved (like some of the stuff floating around about Jade Raymond years ago, IIRC) that make it inevitable the attacks will be perceived as gender-motivated.

Syril

Well, I was going to say that I went and played Depression Quest and that it's very well done and I'm happy to see someone trying to educate people about mental illness, but at this point I'm feeling like it would just be off-topic for this thread.

^^ that's a bummer and true and I feel guilty for going down the tangent rabbit hole.

Hey, I'm just tellin' ya how I feel. I wish I didn't feel this way because it definitely belittles people like yourself who actually suffer from real depression, but I kinda do, and so do those loser folk on 4chan or whatever chan the posts are from.
I was diagnosed with major depression and actually spent time in a hospital from it. I currently have a girlfriend and can hold down a job and function with a lot of medication.

Depression is like cancer, and doesn't discriminate who it afflicts. Men, women, children, elderly, lonely, surrounded by family, poor, rich, Stephen Fry, guy who can't bring himself to maintain basic hygiene, someone from every walk or life or life circumstance can be diagnosed with an acute or chronic depressive episode. II would never in a million years claim "my depression is more legitimate than yours!", presume I speak for everyone with the condition, or call someone a faker at having something so debilitating and dangerous a disease.

I'm glad that Depression Quest exists, maybe if nothing else than to show that someone from a different walk of life than your own can exhibit the very clear symptoms. Out of all the articles and books I can send to loved ones, I've found that game is the most effective method of communicating what it means to have the illness. Way to go, profound interactive medium.

besada

Banned
Well, she also dared to talk about depression. Apparently in their world, Females get a +5 check against it or something.

In the chan version of depression, only males are capable of being depressed, because they've mistaken depression for being lonely, and they believe that females never have to be lonely. It's a pretty fucked up, misogynist viewpoint.

pants

I dont understand why anyone is angry because she simply released a game, is there something I'm missing here?

Wizchan is one of the abominations that sprung from 4chan afaik. Same fucked up culture and behavior.

Keep ignoring the fact that someone actually called her up and jacked off into her phone too. There's no evidence she invited this harassment in any way by posting on their site, which in itself isn't even an invitation to harassment to anyone here who isn't already banned but you.

An indie developer masterminding a sneaky marketing campaign which would lose her the respect of all her peers, fans and critics is a far more reasonable explanation than sexism.

WE'VE CROSSED THE RUBICON NOW

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The whole "she did it for money" thing also doesn't fly, given that you can just play the game for free on the site. You would think that someone who wants just money would not have gone with the "pay as much as you want" scheme.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
In the chan version of depression, only males are capable of being depressed, because they've mistaken depression for being lonely, and they believe that females never have to be lonely. It's a pretty fucked up, misogynist viewpoint.
Dudes in internet gaming culture misogynist? Why I never!

This is a really fucked up story. It makes me very angry.

Red Mage

An indie developer masterminding a sneaky marketing campaign which would lose her the respect of all her peers, fans and critics is a far more reasonable explanation than sexism.

...are you serious? I mean, you're not being sarcastic, are you? Because no, it isn't. It really, really isn't.

phuturist

Banned
I dont understand why anyone is angry because she simply released a game, is there something I'm missing here?

Summary: She released a game about depression that a very small, very angry forum about depression picked up on, didn't like it and one guy there is obviously pretty misogynist.. She then posted about the two posts there and said she received a phone call of someone masturbating. The story blew up, and now it's not just a few dozen posters on one forum, but thousands of people. Now people dig up unfortunate twitter posts made by her and everyone is angry.

besada

Banned

She released a game about depression, but the depressed antagonist has a girlfriend. The people enraged are man-babies who believe not being able to get a date or get laid is synonymous with depression, so they essentially rejected her right to be a depressive because they couldn't recognize themselves in the story.

And, since they're sad little men who hate women because women won't go out with them, they get indignant when a woman claims she understands depression.

In short, they're complete idiots.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Makes sense to me. Totally. Sexism? What sexism? It's like racism, it doesn't exist anymore. All the stupid women are just too stupid to understand that cause they are women. And stupid.

I've been reading the thread and from what I can read it seems people have jumped on the good old "let's hate 4chan" bandwagon. There's something with the internet that if anything has anything to do with any chan of any kind doing something, the blame gets put straight onto 4chan for pretty much 0 reason. Yes, you have people who were calling her an attention whore on /v/ more than likely but It'd be strange if someone wasn't called an attention whore on /v/ regardless of whatever sex they are.
Shit happens, people gonna suspect the stinkiest asshole.

Occam's Razor wins again!
It's probably urine.

I don't know, it'd be pretty hard to convince me the content of the phone call wasn't specifically because she's female. It's possible she'd have been attacked if she were male, but the specifics of what are happening here (including her quoted posts) are specifically because she's female.

I think there are some pretty clear tonal changes in attacks where females are involved (like some of the stuff floating around about Jade Raymond years ago, IIRC) that make it inevitable the attacks will be perceived as gender-motivated.

The nature of the harassment is likely to be different for male and female peoples.

Sure, some of it is bound to be gender related. But I wouldn't assume all of it is.

the best part of the people screaming "IT WASN'T 4CHAN" is that 4chan is now posting stuff just as bad

Oh boy, this.

And yet, here we are. 1 day after people threaten Kenji Inafune with pulling their money out of Might Number 9 because their CM is both (gasp) a woman and a feminist who is too young to have played Megaman when they were new (shocking I know).

That controversy and this stuff is really depressing (no pun) the shit out of me.

Sigh.

mclem

Is there a version of the game where the person is like a really big loser and nothing good happens to them at all? Like, no gf, no friends, no parties, no people showing interest in them at all, nothing? That's the type of game I'd like. I want more characters in video games or film or tv like that.

There's quite a nice text adventure called "Rameses" which does something interesting in the medium (although in this case it's more an angsty teen railing against their lot in life than a direct representation of depression, it's still a reasonably well-observed character piece about a negative trait)

lights

I agree, I actually don't use 4chan but I've had some drama with people on /cgl/ posting some pretty nasty personal things about me.

It's very hard, but the best thing to do is to ignore the lot of them and just go on with your life. Don't take the bait.

Riddick

Keep ignoring the fact that someone actually called her up and jacked off into her phone too. There's no evidence she invited this harassment in any way by posting on their site, which in itself isn't even an invitation to harassment to anyone here who isn't already banned but you.

Ugh I have already replied to this. 4chan does this shit to everyone when they find their phone number. As for jacking off, how does she know, it could probably be some loser making sex noises for a couple of secs and hanging up as a "joke" like kids always do.

ZodR_ARG

Neo Member
I love how the definition of being a loser is not having a girlfriend or a job, and if you do you're successful...
you're successful if you're happy...
and I refuse to believe that those people are on 4chan or whatever grown men, they can't be this stupid...

Please stop doing this, Amy Henning is a woman and everyone loves her. That's not the reason. You are not helping.

She had the gall to be a woman making a game about a topic which misogynists believe is only okay for men to make a game about. Is that better?

Ugh I have already replied to this. 4chan does this shit to everyone when they find their phone number. As for jacking off, how does she know, it could probably be some loser making sex noises for a couple of secs and hanging up as a "joke" like kids always do.

WHY IS THIS OKAY IN YOUR WORLD?

Red Mage

Ugh I have already replied to this. 4chan does this shit to everyone when they find their phone number. As for jacking off, how does she know, it could probably be some loser making sex noises for a couple of secs and hanging up as a "joke" like pathetic creepers always do.

ftfy

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Poor /v/, becoming a victim because everyone assumes that any screenshot of a blue backgrounded imageboard is them. ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom