• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

Is it wrong that I stared at a couch for a couple minutes?

Is it wrong with me being almost mad the game is looking so good and playing so badly? I find more enjoyable looking at the game rather than playing it. It pisses me off.

I feel the same about many of the exclusive PS4 titles. Killzone was a pretty looking snorefest. The world in Second Son felt paper thin wile looking great. Knack was kinda good looking for a release title but was also not very replayable.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Is it wrong with me being almost mad the game is looking so good and playing so badly? I find more enjoyable looking at the game rather than playing it. It pisses me off.

I feel the same about many of the exclusive PS4 titles. Killzone was a pretty looking snorefest. The world in Second Son felt paper thin wile looking great. Knack was kinda good looking for a release title but was also not very replayable.
It's an unfortunate state of affairs that bloodborne and Uncharted 4 should fix later this year.

I actually think of all of those from a gameplay perspective that The Order is the best. I mean it doesn't have a lot of competition but yeah :/

Frankly, I found the game kinda meh, with a few outstanding looking places here and there.

It didn't help my friend sold both game and console before even finishing it.

Haha sure he did. I love this stuff makes it so easy for mods.

Frankly, I found the game kinda meh, with a few outstanding looking places here and there.

It didn't help my friend sold both game and console before even finishing it.

Purest 78

People still don't understand 800p has nothing to do with resolution? It only deals with the aspect ratio, everything on screen is native 1080p.

Ricky_R

Gameplay I switch it up, but for screens I prefer right side as you can make out more of the intricacies of the character model and accessories lol.

Haha, cool. Didn't know that.

Will try and see later. RAD really needs to release a photomode.

Killzone SF relies a lot on lightmaps as well and even The Order has volumetric lights done right. Area light are missing but to be fair the ones in KZSF are not entirely physically plausible, it's a very nice tech though.
I was under the impression it wasnt done through light maps, but through light probes like in FC3?

Game4life

Banned
It is far from a definitive statement. Scale counts as well, and bigger scale may be more impressive than very linear environments. I certainly am more impressed by larger scale detail than very closed ones.

Scale should not count in deciding which looks best. One is a game design choice. If scale matters and I say GTA5 looks better than Order because scale then what is the point of even having any discussion on visuals. Now technically which is superior is another question. In that case getting scale into the equation makes much more sense. But for a pure discussion on which game looks better getting scale into the conversation is not required. We do not need reasons and excuses as to why one game looks better than the other but what game looks better than the other. In this case Order looks better than Unity on PC and Consoles.

Purest 78

I loved the game personally sucks for you I guess. I thought this thread was about The Orders visuals? There's plenty of other threads to share you're dislike of the Gameplay.

Dazza

So many times when I was playing the Order, my jaw was on the floor, saying how are they doing this in real time.

I really want a Sherlock Holmes game made from this engine, lots of assets already done, and the way you analyze objects would actually be useful

It's an unfortunate state of affairs that bloodborne and Uncharted 4 should fix later this year.

You are no doubt correct. I´m hoping Uncharted will be a bit more challenging and open than the previous games. Had more fun with Tomb Raider, but nobody makes cinematic and jaw dropping wow moments as playable as Naughty Dog.

I actually think of all of those from a gameplay perspective that The Order is the best. I mean it doesn't have a lot of competition but yeah :/

I actually played more of Knack :p But yeah.

I loved the game personally sucks for you I guess. I thought this thread was about The Orders visuals? There's plenty of other threads to share you're dislike of the Gameplay.

Sorry. Looking at the gorgeous screens just makes me mad. Gonna shut up now. Keep that visual love fest going.

BLunted

Banned
I think it looks better than anything on PC.

I would beg to differ. The game has poor IQ. If this was on PC, I would remove the crutches such as fog filter, film grain and motion blur and render it higher than 800p. These things definitely give it a cinematic feel, but hinder the graphics, however I suspect console people will try to claim these as positives.

Lightmaps + light probes for dynamics, FC3 lighting system is different.
Aye. Arent FC3s irradiance probes awfully similar though?

What do you find to be so unplausible about the area lights in kzsf? Or how does the order do volumetric spot light casters "right?"

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I would beg to differ. The game has poor IQ. If this was on PC, I would remove the crutches such as fog filter, film grain and motion blur and render it higher than 800p. These things definitely give it a cinematic feel, but hinder the graphics, however I suspect console people will try to claim these as positives.

Nah. They are positives.

And I am playing my PC games maxed out at 4-5-8k on a 65" 4KTV.

The Order is breathtaking. Far from "poor IQ" but of course it would look better at 4k+.

Acting like you have some sort of enlightenment because you game on PC is silly. This is Neogaf. Many of us have gaming PCs and Consoles.

Sorry. Looking at the gorgeous screens just makes me mad. Gonna shut up now. Keep that visual love fest going.

You didn't have fun even with stuff like this?

TheOrder14.gif

and THIS!

Have you played it? The IQ doesn't look low at all.

I find it hard to be impressed by games which lack color. The muted palette creates a dull, oppressive atmosphere which takes away from any technical achievements the game may have going for it.

Man, sounda like you haven't played this game. It is an absolute stunner in person. Nothing even comes close. Shame you can't enjoy it.

Easily the most impressive looking game I've ever seen.

Fun game too, really enjoyed my time with it. Going to replay it again real soon.

Truant

Looks absolutely amazing. Nothing even comes close.

I just feel the graphics are wasted. It's like they don't really matter because the game is so incredibly boring and lifeless.

Maybe it's just me, but I appreciate great graphics even more if the world is interactive and full of life.

Looks absolutely amazing. Nothing even comes close.

I just feel the graphics are wasted. It's like they don't really matter because the game is so incredibly boring and lifeless.

Maybe it's just me, but I appreciate great graphics even more if the world is interactive and full of life.

Yeah I agree. Thats why I am really hoping there is a sequel. Now that their mindblowing tech is finished hopefully they can focus on the world and gameplay aspects.

Crossing Eden

BB looks great but I'm not sure it's technically impressive, more art wise. Uncharted 4 will probably be the game where we will get both.
The physics of bloodborne are marvelous. The cloth physics especially, and that boss they showed recently which has some ridiculously good hair that acts differently depending on what state it's in.

You didn't have fun even with stuff like this?

TheOrder14.gif

and THIS!
That gif is not a good example of gameplay. It's auto aim, and the person who posted in didn't even seem to understand the mechanic because he shot his own grenade out of the air.

The physics of bloodborne are marvelous. The cloth physics especially, and that boss they showed recently which has some ridiculously good hair that acts differently depending on what state it's in.

That gif is not a good example of gameplay. It's auto aim, and the person who posted in didn't even seem to understand the mechanic because he shot his own grenade out of the air.

Oh that's auto aim? I always wondered how the player is able to flip to multiple targets so quickly. I thought it was like MP's bullet time or something

-SD-

Banned
Are there any screens with the cinematic stuff like grain, chromatic aberration and motion blur disabled? You know, to see what the game really looks like, under all that filter junk.

I do most of my gaming on PC and I can assure for those that haven't played it and seen it in real-time it is the best out there. Even downsampled crysis 3 which I thought to be the best graphically at the time, order blew it out of the water for me.

Crossing Eden

Oh that's auto aim? I always wondered how the player is able to flip to multiple targets so quickly. I thought it was like MP's bullet time or something
Pretty sure he's using on of the pistols that kills instantly, the game switches targets automatically whenever a target dies during that mode. I wish it was like MP bullet time as that would be interesting.

But it is rendered higher than 800p...I cannot believe people are still saying this... It has been explained so many times and already covered in this exact thread you are posting in...

Imagine taking a 1080p game, and sticking a strip of tape across the top and bottom of your TV screen... That is as simple as I can make it...

Do you say the same thing about letterboxed Blue Ray movies??

Ricky_R

Yeah, they should've gone with a system like RDR's if they didn't want to give us complete control over black sight.

Still, it's a nice addition to the pretty awesome gunplay that The Order offers.

Ricky_R

Pretty sure he's using on of the pistols that kills instantly, the game switches targets automatically whenever a target dies during that mode. I wish it was like MP bullet time as that would be interesting.

You can switch targets at will. What you can't do is move the cursor. The game decides where exactly it wants you to shoot the enemy.

IcyEyes

Right now The Order is one of the best looking games out there and yes, this game takes the crown.
Of course, it's not only from a technical point of view, it's the whole "package" that makes this game impressive.

I'm wondering what game will take away the crown from it!

Bahahaha that is my clip. I posted it because it is a good example of how amazing the engine is. It handles all that stuff going on without a hitch. I had lots of moments where I used the blacksight correctly on a grenade but that video had the most going on. Plus I think I killed a vengeful bird in the rafters.

This is a better example of the combat being more free form like you said

TheOrder19.gif

It would be way better if it was like MP bullet time. Its just a cool novelty right now

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only encounter like that in the entire game, and it's at the very end.

laxu

I don't really care about their choices for the game. The overly wide view is ok (though hopefully not an upcoming trend) but the damn fog filters, bloody screens when getting hit etc are kinda annoying. I don't agree that they used high level MSAA for this as it's generally a pretty big performance hit. Nowadays I feel SMAA does a really good job at getting rid of aliasing without blurring the image or causing fps to take a dive.

I think the most impressive part are the materials, cloth looks very realistic and so do all other surfaces.

Crossing Eden

You can switch targets at will. What you can't do is move the cursor. The game decides where exactly it wants you to shoot the enemy.
You can switch targets but I don't think he's doing it manually in that slip and he's still using an instakill pistol.

Bahahaha that is my clip. I posted it because it is a good example of how amazing the engine is. It handles all that stuff going on without a hitch. I had lots of moments where I used the blacksight correctly on a grenade but that video had the most going on. Plus I think I killed a vengeful bird in the rafters.

TheOrder19.gif

It would be way better if it was like MP bullet time. Its just a cool novelty right now
There's no exactly a lot to handle in that clip. Just the same generic enemies that we fight throughout the game. That second clip also isn't free form either, the dodge roll there is purely contextual.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
HOLY SHIT this thread is wrecking my Chrome. I had to write this response in a seperate text doc just so it wouldn't take an hour.

ANYWAY

It's really frustrating when a game's art team is overshadowed by poor gameplay choices. The design and graphics tech developed for this game is arguably the new high bar to reach and yet it won't get it's due because LOL THE ORDER SUCKS parroting.

I don't really care about their choices for the game. The overly wide view is ok (though hopefully not an upcoming trend) but the damn fog filters, bloody screens when getting hit etc are kinda annoying. I don't agree that they used high level MSAA for this as it's generally a pretty big performance hit. Nowadays I feel SMAA does a really good job at getting rid of aliasing without blurring the image or causing fps to take a dive.

I think the most impressive part are the materials, cloth looks very realistic and so do all other surfaces.

Only on screenshots, SMAA is not that great in motion which is why TXAA is so great for actual gameplay with actual moving images.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only encounter like that in the entire game, and it's at the very end.

I know I said this in the other Official Thread but the combat sections from Ch 14-16 are so much better than the rest of the game. Why didn't they do that through the whole thing.

You can switch targets but I don't think he's doing it manually in that slip and he's still using an instakill pistol.

There's no exactly a lot to handle in that clip. Just the same generic enemies that we fight throughout the game. That second clip also isn't free form either, the dodge roll there is purely contextual.

It's just got a lot going on what does the enemies being generic have to do with anything? Thats a odd critique, the only reason its in there is you have the environment being destroyed all around you a high enemy count, 4 ai counterparts with insane lighting and particle effects going on. Don't be obtuse.
For the second clip I just meant free form in player movement, weapon change up and tactics. The two biggest oddities to me in the combat are no dive roll and that cover to cover movement is so odd.

Elsolar

Personally I think Ryse looks better, both on console and PC. It runs at a higher resolution too, and the environments are a lot more dynamic.

Top Bottom