• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Graphical Benchmark - The Order 1886

orioto

Good Art™
"Benchmark" for very linear, basic shooters that run at 30fps and have less than 1080p resolution (25% less pixel IIRC).

Are there any crazy interactive set-pieces in this game? I recall reading that they even toned down the physics too.

Quite frankly, I'm not impressed. Pull those graphics of in a game with a variety of (more complex) game mechanics and I'll take a look again.

See the thing is, graphic benchmark doesn't not mean performance benchmark. Graphics in a game is the result of a long work done by a lot of people. Details, precision, art direction.. All those things..

We're in 2015 and people still confuse graphic and tech.

Yes, the character models in The Order look better, but some of Unity's indoor environments are insane.

You are doing it wrong!
youneedmoreblur66ur3.png

pixelbox

It is also doing pretty much all of its lighting in realtime (the order has entire scenes with baked shadowing, ao, and indirect lighting) while supporting volume on every light source and arbitrary area light shapes (and has shadowing on particles). Stuff which this game doesnt have.

The order has more consistent quality in its art though.
Right. 1886 has better art. Also, where did you hear SF does it lighting in real-time? Never forget:Killzone Shadow Fall - Tech Trailer | PS4: http://youtu.be/Q0h3T_Y9B0Y

Dunkley

The Order's visuals are absolutely outstanding, although I admit getting into gameplay after watching a cutscene kinda breaks the CG movie illusion majorly. All those standard TPS movements and camera angles just completely set me back on this being just a game.

That's not supposed to be a complaint about the gameplay though. I just wonder if the illusion break happens because I am jumping into this very accustomed gameplay situation or if any type of interactive gameplay would break the illusion the same regardless of how original it is.

Those screens don't look THAT great, dunno why, maybe my TV is a lot better than my monitor..

But the game itself has the most impressive visuals ever, I wonder if Naughty Dog will top this with Uncharted 4. Even as a ND fanboy I kinda doubt it.

They could if they kept the player on a suffocatingly tight leash like RAD did, fortunately they are moving their franchise in the opposite direction.

I find it hard to be impressed by games which lack color. The muted palette creates a dull, oppressive atmosphere which takes away from any technical achievements the game may have going for it.
Which is exactly the reason why it works; you can't tell this kind of story with pastels. Well, not in the same tone anyhow.

Not every game should aspire to look like The Order but those going for a photorealistic macabre/dinged Victorian-era look would do well to use it as the standard, because it's the best standard in that department as of right now, easily.

Yes, the character models in The Order look better, but some of Unity's indoor environments are insane.
They look very good, but Unity's also going for a very different tone; it's not horror-based and the colors aren't intentionally muted. Plus Order looks better in motion, but a lot of that comes down to stylistic choices.

the softness is worth it to remove all the shimmer. all of these indoor scenes shimmer like crazy with anything other than txaa. your example is also a lil exaggerated

You certain? Most of the images posted in this thread have even less fine grain resolvable edges and even more blur.

Edit: heck, just look at the above.

Ricky_R

You certain? Most of the images posted in this thread have even less fine grain resolvable edges and even more blur.

Edit: heck, just look at the above.

While The Order has an overall blurry IQ, most of those shots look better in game. Galahad just doesn't stop moving and it's difficult to get shots without motion blur into play.

I actually thought that the grain in the game really took away from the IQ. I was actually surprised how subdued it looked. The environments however were stellar, and the level of detail in everything was spectacular.

Unlike some on here I don't really think the gap between The Order and Ryse is very large. I think that the facial animations and emphasis on larger, albeit just as linear, environment were a strong point in Ryse. There were lots of times during my first play through of Ryse that I stopped and admired the environments, I notice that I did this a lot less with the Order for some reason. I think the dark palette kinda blends everything together after a while. Almost wish there was a little more variety to the scences, but knowing the context of the story it would be hard to do.

I just booted up Unity last night and was pretty wowed by the environments on there too. Between The Order, Ryse, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age, Unity, and some of the other games I played recently it is amazing quickly graphics are improving.

While there's obvious bkur in The Order, most of those shots look better in game. Galahad just doesn't stop moving and it's difficult to get shots with motion blur into play.

A point I am trying to make is that a lot of the consistency in the graphical presentation in the order is actually due to being unable to resolve detail at times.

It is a trade off they made. Even sitting still in any game with a perobject and screen blur should allow for near and far objects to be resolved. The order employs a distance and near camera depth of field in every scene making this relatively hard. Then add on the TAA...

I think if other games (like unity) did something similar, a lot of people would have differentiating opinions.

See the thing is, graphic benchmark doesn't not mean performance benchmark. Graphics in a game is the result of a long work done by a lot of people. Details, precision, art direction.. All those things..

We're in 2015 and people still confuse graphic and tech.

Oh really, this is the result of work? If only I had known before! All those special things...

But I'm not going to ignore the technical aspects when talking about a game's visuals being some benchmark. The art direction is nothing special either way, to be frank. It's really just the level of detail that allows it to stand out and that detail is possible due to, you guessed right, the technical specifications of this game.

Gurish

The Unity screens looks amazing but when you see both games in motion Unity doesn't come close, game is very inconsistent and is far less impressive in motion, nothing touches TO at the moment imo.

A point I am trying to make is that a lot of the consistency in the graphical presentation in the order is actually due to being unable to resolve detail at times.

It is a trade off they made. Even sitting still in any game with a perobject and screen blur should allow for near and far objects to be resolved. The order employs a distance and near camera depth of field in every scene making this relatively hard. Then add on the TAA...

I think if other games (like unity) did something similar, a lot of people would have differentiating opinions.

Eh I don't agree. You can tell in a lot of Unitys shots how low the overall polygon are for characters. I don't think you can mask enough of that. It also reminds me of when GG did that demo of KZ2 at GDC when people were claiming the very thing you are that the reason the game looked as good as it did was because of all the Post Processing on top and when they came to GDC they turned all that stuff off and the game still looked amazing.

The Unity screens looks amazing but when you see both games in motion Unity doesn't come close, game is very inconsistent and is far less impressive in motion, nothing touches TO at the moment imo.

Super Sampled 4K screens are kind of the only barometer the majority use. "This one shot with a free camera system looks so amazing!" You never see them posting actual gifs of anything outside of Metro or Crysis because 4k res doesn't automatically make all your other visual inconsistencies better.

Super Sampled 4K screens are kind of the only barometer the majority use. "This one shot with a free camera system looks so amazing!" You never see them posting actual gifs of anything outside of Metro or Crysis because 4k res doesn't automatically make all your other visual inconsistencies better.

Metro and Crysis are nowehere near the best looking PC games.

Mabase

I like the lighting in the Order a lot. As someone else said before, the game does dark situations extremely beautifully. The overall color and lighting impression you get from the screens are so convincing and believable.

I haven't actually played the game too much, so I don't know whether the moody lighting disturbs when identifying enemies etc., and hinders the gameplay, but from a purely aesthetic point of view it's a truly impressive achievement.

Metro and Crysis are nowehere near the best looking PC games.

I agree completely, I was just saying those were the last two that had PC users spamming gifs. It seemed like every day all I saw was that Metro one of the tarp being pulled off the buggy and Crysis bald dude talking to me with his eyes.

That's simply not true.
mgtkzv.gif

Prove it to me. In motion everything I have seen of Unity is subpar. Plus I know how gaming on PC is. The last games I played with max setting on a PC were Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite. I remember coming into those PC screenshot threads and seeing vastly more impressive images of both of those games than what I was playing which was because there are guys with great eyes that free roam the camera and adjust the scene perfectly for the shot.

Spazznid

I agree completely, I was just saying those were the last two that had PC users spamming gifs. It seemed like every day all I saw was that Metro one of the tarp being pulled off the buggy and Crysis bald dude talking to me with his eyes.

Prove it to me. In motion everything I have seen of Unity is subpar.

want him to repost the gif?

Played this game just because of how gorgeous the graphics are (did not buy though, borrowed).

First puddle, no reflection? Maybe its just the angle and I can't see it.
First mirror- maybe I'm a vampire? :O
Window reflection in town. No people are being reflected.

For a game that put its graphics and presentation first, and coming right off of Resident Evil HD, a GAMECUBE PORT, I was very disappointed.

MarkV

It is also doing pretty much all of its lighting in realtime (the order has entire scenes with baked shadowing, ao, and indirect lighting) while supporting volume on every light source and arbitrary area light shapes (and has shadowing on particles). Stuff which this game doesnt have.

The order has more consistent quality in its art though.

Killzone SF relies a lot on lightmaps as well and even The Order has volumetric lights done right. Area light are missing but to be fair the ones in KZSF are not entirely physically plausible, it's a very nice tech though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Prove it to me. In motion everything I have seen of Unity is subpar.
I literally just pointed a gif of Unity motion. Plus, have you been to the pc screenshot, like at all? Because crysis and metro certainly are not the only thing being posted in those screenshot threads. That couldn't be any more far from the truth.

I literally just pointed a gif of Unity motion.

You did? Oh man I can't see it. Maybe its being blocked let me check.
Looks good. Still not nearly as good as The Order. You by chance have anything that is bigger than a postage stamp?

I literally just pointed a gif of Unity motion. Plus, have you been to the pc screenshot, like at all? Because crysis and metro certainly are not the only thing being posted in those screenshot threads. That couldn't be any more far from the truth.

I always go into that thread because NeoEngima and others are true artists with the shots they take. I wasn't saying Crysis and Metro was all that is posted I am saying they were the last Graphical PC Kings that were being highlighted everywhere.

Prove it to me. In motion everything I have seen of Unity is subpar. Plus I know how gaming on PC is. The last games I played with max setting on a PC were Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite. I remember coming into those PC screenshot threads and seeing vastly more impressive images of both of those games than what I was playing which was because there are guys with great eyes that free roam the camera and adjust the scene perfectly for the shot.

There you have your answer.

No CA in the screen actually. :D Just a tiny bit of gaussian and ,2 pixel amount of film grain and a slight desaturation.

Mmh ! Can you try to add a bit of CA ?

eot

Banned

untitled_307_by_dennisk4-d6scb0d.gif

battlefield_4_gif_7_by_dennisk4-d6ssrkx.gif

Dennis'

MarkV

Also, people throw in AC Unity like it's a normal game but Unity is excellent when it come to the graphics so it's non crazy at all to compare it to the other great looking games out there.

Crossing Eden

You did? Oh man I can't see it. Maybe its being blocked let me check.
Looks good. Still not nearly as good as The Order. You by chance have anything that is bigger than a postage stamp?
Which post stamps are you using? I also wasn't saying that Unity looks better than the Order, but if the order is the best looking game ever, then Unity would be quite a close second, which is even more impressive since it's open world. Actually, it'll be interesting to see the order compared to AC:Victory later this year.

nib95

Banned
I do think The Order has stunning interiors, they are perhaps just not as grandiose or over the top as some of Unity's, which would be expected of these parts London tbh.

The%20Order_%201886_20150221012832.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219162621.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150221072822.jpg~original

theorder_1886_2015122kfg.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150221062545.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150221051916.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150221005955.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219235918.jpg~original

The%20Order_%201886_20150219232240.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219160448-1.jpg~original

TheOrder_1886_20150219160209.jpg~original

Ricky_R

But there's great detail beneath all the blur. DOF, blur and grain filter effects dont't help, but I haven't come acrossed many moments where there was anything that I couldn't clearly identify or lacked much detail. The game just looks ridiculously good.

Which post stamps are you using?

I'm using playing cards :p
But even using YouTube which is godawful go ahead and find some footage of The Order and then of Unity and try and tell me Unity even comes close.

Which post stamps are you using? I also wasn't saying that Unity looks better than the Order, but if the order is the best looking game ever, then Unity would be quite a close second, which is even more impressive since it's open world. Actually, it'll be interesting to see the order compared to AC:Victory later this year.

Ohh...umm hmm(slowly puts dagger away) Sorry about that man I thought you were saying it was. I still don't think Unity is in the top 3.

1. The Order
2. Ryse
3. DC

Dios Mio Gifs[/IMG]

Dennis'

Still looks amazing and you proved my point ;)

I think that a game should actually have gameplay worth paying for before we start using its graphics as a benchmark. Plenty of developers could spend the amount of time and resources to equal The Order, but their funding would run out before finishing the game, too.

It looks very impressive, though not a game I would play. At least not in this genre. Now if it was a horror game it would be amazing, the darkness and amazing lighting would make it so atmospheric. Hopefully Silent Hills can deliver that.

I kinda think Unity has more charm, if we're comparing. Even if Unity can look dead ugly at parts, while The Order has every detail taken care of. But that's also because it's not open world. It's kinda like the REmake of this gen.

I haven't played either game, but Unity just looks so much more appealing to me than The Order. I get that the Order looks super smooth and the overall image looks close to CG, but man... the screens just look so incredibly boring to me due to the uninteresting locales and muted palette (Yeah, yeah, I get that it's dreary ass London)

Crossing Eden

TheOrder_1886_20150221005955.jpg~original

Yeah I agree but this screen is just so much more impressive to me than that Unity shot above. The Order shot looks more real almost tangible.
It is far from a definitive statement. Scale counts as well, and bigger scale may be more impressive than very linear environments. I certainly am more impressed by larger scale detail than very closed ones.

pixelbox

Killzone SF relies a lot on lightmaps as well and even The Order has volumetric lights done right. Area light are missing but to be fair the ones in KZSF are not entirely physically plausible, it's a very nice tech though.
Nvm, i got it

Top Bottom