• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama Teacher suspended after giving her students incredibly offensive math test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Ok I'll be the one to say it.

I can relate to the people who got a laugh out of this because it is quite funny - to us. We are mostly adults on here who can't even begin to find a sound reason why this teacher thought this was cool, therefore we are assuming this is one hell of a troll and that is why it's funny. We laugh about this because it's so outlandish.

But here's the catch.

This test was given to the students of this teacher.

You have to admit, that's fucked up. Such a racially charged test is almost like a reflection of how this teacher perceives their students. And that is where the laughter stopped for me.

This is degrading these students. No pun intended.

I would think this is funny if no racism was involved, but the way it is makes me sick.

Question #1 is really bothering me. I can't solve it and this is for middle schoolers? I'm so out of practice with math...

It doesn't seem like how many shots he misses has any bearing on the answer.

Izuna

Banned
As fucked up as this is, it sounds like a hilarious joke under the title: Exam Questions That Were Rejected in Mock The Week, and Frankie Boyle was answering.

SoulUnison

Banned
Did someone switch her stack of papers?
Is this the educational equivalent of suicide by cop?
Is she trying to make some kind of statement?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the hell.

Question #1 is really bothering me. I can't solve it and this is for middle schoolers? I'm so out of practice with math...

The problems were very likely never meant to be serious problems, and were originally written as a joke. But to answer it seriously, let's take a look at the question:

Johnny has an AK-47 with an 80-round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive-by shooting, how many drive-by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?

Note that he shoots 13 bullets at each drive-by, and note that we want to find out how many drive-bys he can do before his 80 bullet clip empties and he needs to reload. The fact that he misses 6/10 shots is completely irrelevant. Therefore, it's a simple division problem. Divide the size of his clip by the number of shots per drive-by (80/13) and we get 6 drive-bys with a remainder of 2 bullets left in the clip. There's the answer.

The key is discovering that his missing 6/10 shots is irrelevant (which is a thing that some word problems do). However, let's assume that the question were worded that he needs to HIT 13 targets at each drive-by instead of SHOOT 13 bullets. This question is more complex because you need to take into account the hit percentage.

In that case, because he misses 6/10 (60%) of the time, we know he hits 4/10 (40%) of the time. We can use this to get the number of shots required to hit any target by cross multiplying: 13/x = 4/10, or x = 13 * 10 / 4, which is 32.5. So for each drive-by, to compensate for his inaccuracy, he needs to shoot 32.5 shots to hit 13 targets.

Then we can divide the clip size by the number of shots (80/32.5) which equals 2 drive-bys with 15 shots left in the clip. And there's your answer to the harder problem.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Leroy is a shitty dealer! Why does Juan get a better per gram-price than Antonio when he buys less?

duckroll

Johnny is part of the hoax/joke original template though. We should be talking about Ramon, because that's the version which was actually amended by a real teacher and given to students!

The Beard

2. Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8-ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram. What is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut it?

Were the students just supposed to know what an 8-ball is?Lol

This is one of the weirdest things I've seen in a while.

That teacher lost her damn mind.

Johnny is part of the hoax/joke original template though. We should be talking about Ramon, because that's the version which was actually amended by a real teacher and given to students!

Ugh, serves me right for not being observant... But then the second part of my explanation wouldn't work because he'd need to shoot 33 bullets to compensate for his terrible accuracy, and the clip only holds 30. So he really just needs to get good, lol. (Or better yet, for the teacher to not give the problems out in the first place...)

One week from retirement she wanted to finally show the students that she was with it and understood their kind of irreverent humor.

"How can I reach these kids?"

And then it all went wrong.

"They took it as a joke, and she told them that it wasn't a joke, and they had to complete it, and turn it in," Hall said of the 10-question quiz.

More like she was finally out, so she decided to tell the kids what she thought of them.

duckroll

Ugh, serves me right for not being observant... But then the second part of my explanation wouldn't work because he'd need to shoot 33 bullets to compensate for his terrible accuracy, and the clip only holds 30. So he really just needs to get good, lol. (Or better yet, for the teacher to not give the problems out in the first place...)

He uses 13 rounds per shooting, he doesn't kill 13 targets per shooting. Whether the rounds hit or not doesn't matter!

Should've taught the White People Method instead.
sqEYcvF.gif

Perfect lol.

Loke13

Ok I'll be the one to say it.

I can relate to the people who got a laugh out of this because it is quite funny - to us. We are mostly adults on here who can't even begin to find a sound reason why this teacher thought this was cool, therefore we are assuming this is one hell of a troll and that is why it's funny. We laugh about this because it's so outlandish.

But here's the catch.

This test was given to the students of this teacher.

You have to admit, that's fucked up. Such a racially charged test is almost like a reflection of how this teacher perceives their students. And that is where the laughter stopped for me.

This is degrading these students. No pun intended.
Naw they probably thought it was funny as shit.

duckroll

This is awful, but hilariously awesome at the same time. It makes learning fun.

There is nothing educational about these questions. Most of them are poorly designed and not meant to provide learning aid. It's just hate speech rephrased with simplistic math.

The only hilarious thing about it is how brazen the teacher was to go through with the entire scheme.

Blackage

Cartman saying "How can I teach these keeeeeeds" is the only thing that goes through my mind as I read those absurd questions, just wow.

There is nothing educational about these questions. Most of them are poorly designed and not meant to provide learning aid. It's just hate speech rephrased with simplistic math.

The only hilarious thing about it is how brazen the teacher was to go through with the entire scheme.

It's tough to disagree with what you said. Just know that I wasn't referencing the racism, just the situations in the questions. They're more interesting than a lot of the repeated word questions you get in school.

[Racist stereotype] does [stereotypical] thing.

Wow, this is hilarious. Why were they keeping this groundbreaking and inspired teaching material from kids?

BibiMaghoo

While it's clearly inappropriate, when I was a kid I would have found this pretty funny, and certainly wouldn't have grassed up the teacher to my parents for it. I think it's good to use examples other than fruit every now and then. No one gives a shit how many apples Bob has, and so I applaud at least some effort to make the questions more interesting, even if in a pretty shitty way.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Watch nothing happen and then racist copycat teachers do the same thing before retiring. I've had personal experience with several teachers that would have loved nothing more than to do something like this.

I'm fucking laughing. This is like a comedy skit and in an scenario outside of teaching, this would be great. Could be told me this was a Key and Peele skit and us believe it.

What the hell that's hilarious! it can't have been serious and if it was is the teacher a south park character? will he be in a giant naked pile of men having sex next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom