• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I don't understand why there isn't someone over at the Xbox division telling these guys that instead of these PR "we're just good, you wait!" comments which get picked apart instantly ( and rightly so), they should just shut the fuck up about the tech differences. Talk about something else. Draw focus away from the arguments you can't win.

I mean, we've been playing out this same routine for 9 months now. Why are they expecting to get different results with the same message when its clearly a flawed one? Literal fucking insanity.

For the thousandth time, no. Can you not see the difference between lying about your product and downplaying the weakness? Read what Yoshi wrote.
So you want to crucify the man because he made a mistake? It's just video games man, he's not the first or last executive to do this kind of thing. I guess I just don't care as much as some people here.

If he lost your trust, buy the competitors product. The constant PR bash threads get old, what do you expect him to say? 'Hey guys I fucked up and games will look better on our competitions hardware lol'

BibiMaghoo

M°°nblade;98321861 said:
The "XBone cost $100 more because of kinect" comment is the calling card of a lazy Microsoft fanboy considering most gamers don't want Kinect. :p

It's actually worse, because to say the cost of Kinect was $100, is to imply they spent $400 on the hardware without it, yet still have a weaker spec than the competition at that $400 price.

Justifying the cost of an extra $100 being on Kinect makes the difference in value even worse.

MavFan619

Banned
Rumble triggers and Kinect vs. 1080p, 60fps.

Yeah, I think I know which one wins.
My thoughts exactly, however maybe I'm just old fashioned in just needing a regular controller and a game to appease me. Regardless he really should sell people on feature differences, the power divide getting smaller is naive to the point of just being ignorant.

Bgamer90

Banned
Albert Penello is Factully incorret:

NBA 2k14: Better AA on PS4
CoD: 1080p vs. 720p
BF4: 900p vs. 720p
AC4: 1080p +better AA vs. 900p
NFS: Missing effects on XB1.

If he wasn't just talking about launch games, we also have Tomb Raider.

So another Albert Penello comment to downplay the differences is factually incorrect. Keep going Albert...

Think he was mainly referring to resolution differences with the launch titles.

I didn't listen to the podcast yet though.

"I know what is going behind the scenes and I have access to more information about some of this thing than a lot of people."

Oh fuck off Panello. People just wont stand for that shit any more. Not even your most hardcore fans...

“I think if you look at the title which we launch, which were multiplatform titles. The bulk of them were the same. I think there were 12 titles released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes."

If that's the case, why spent $100/€100 more on Xbox One if I have the same or better experience with a PS4? He really didn't thought this through.

I think that Albert (or any of the MS usual "suspects") should focus on the Xbox One strengths instead of trying to downplay the rival console.

Remember when Albert and Major Nelson were saying they couldn't wait for the truth to come out?

It came out, MS made people pay $100 more for a system possibly worth $200 less.

Don't feel bad, I was one of the suckers too.

I wouldn't quite say its worth less(thought it's just an opinion). I have both and have used the Xbox One much more, between games, the TV integration, Xbox Fitness, I've found more value in the Xbox One so far but it's waaaay early.

That being said, what prompted you to be an early adopter? It's not like the specs weren't discussed at great length and with much salt here on GAF.

jaypah

They should really be talking about games right now instead of digging themselves into a deeper hole. That isn't helping anyone.

Zornack

I don't have a list in-front of me but whats the chances hes being disingenuous?

If I'm not mistaken:

CoD, BF4, AC4, NFS and NBA 2k 14 all preformed better on the PS4, some to a lesser degree than others.

Madden, FIFA, Just Dance, LEGO Marvel and Skylanders were pretty much identical.

I think those were all of the multiplats.

When EA sports games, a dance game and a lego game are the ones you point at and say "see, no difference!" you know you've fucked up.

They should get their engineers and tools up to a point where concessions don't have to be made. That is what is going to help narrow the power difference. Also go back to CoD and DR3 and patch them. No reason in hell CoD can't hit 1080p on that machine.

muzzymate

we actually reset an imaginary clock every time their PR speaks nonsense

This needs to be a real thing (website) after the past 8 months!

I love my Xbox One but damn, come on Microsoft. Get your act together! You released a less powerful box that has to be sold for $100 more than the more powerful competition and nothing that you say is going to change that.

KOHIPEET

all of them had the same performance on both boxes

I think that pretty clearly means the overall performance of the games.

A bit OT. Did any of you guys read misterx's latest ones? They're golden.

Also...

"I still think Ryse is still the best looking game on any platform. Period. End of story"

Ryse would run better and probably be 1080p on PS4. Period. End of story.

fantomena

I still think Ryse is still the best looking game on any platform. Period. End of story

That arrogance.

It's like he is screaming "FUCK YOU, WE HAVE THE PRETTIEST GAMES, NO MATTER WHAT. CASE FUCKING CLOSED".

Freki

Albert Penello is Factully incorret:

NBA 2k14: Better AA on PS4
CoD: 1080p vs. 720p
BF4: 900p vs. 720p
AC4: 1080p +better AA vs. 900p
NFS: Missing effects on XB1.

If he wasn't just talking about launch games, we also have Tomb Raider.

So another Albert Penello comment to downplay the differences is factually incorrect. Keep going Albert...

What else do you expect from a liar?

Skeff

The quote is "the performance was the same" not "the resolution was the same" Regardless of what he meant, what he actually said was factually incorrect.

What else do you expect from a liar?

I pretty much expect what he said, but I think it should be pointed out each time he lies.

He doesn't actually post since launch.

I wonder why.

Give him some credit, his last post was the day after launch, to comment on the Xbox One sales numbers from the previous 24 hours. Then he disappeared. It's weird that he hasn't posted since the day after launch, I thought he would stick around since he was posting so much before launch. I just dont get it.

Might aswell stick his fingers in his ears shouting " cant hear youuuuu "

When someone is factually wrong but still thinks what his saying is right then im so glad I no longer support that said company as it's bad enough already with what they tried to pull let alone still spout the nonsense.

WoolyNinja

just sitting here waiting for killzone to download.

did people complain this much when ps3 had weaker ports at $200 more? j/w.

I think the main difference is that when games launched on both the PS3 and 360 and was obviously worse on the PS3... Sony wouldn't come out and say "it's not THAT different, basically the same". Sony simply didn't say anything which in this situation is probably best.

Pain

Banned
You just shipped.....so did Sony. And they're $100 cheaper.

The differences will only get bigger over time.

That arrogance.

It's like he is screaming "FUCK YOU, WE HAVE THE PRETTIEST GAMES, NO MATTER WHAT. CASE FUCKING CLOSED".

That's like saying back in 2006 for Prey, "We have the best looking game ever! Every argument you have is fucking invalid you fucking worthless pieces of shit!" Especially when all it really had was graphics...

Tsundere

Banned
"I know what is going behind the scenes and I have access to more information about some of this thing than a lot of people."

Oh fuck off Panello. People just wont stand for that shit any more. Not even your most hardcore fans...

Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

Pain

Banned
"Why not both?"

Not to defend but there are multiple multiplats are 1080p/60 FPS on both -- mainly sports but you may not care about that genre.
But those don't have AA on XBO. There are sacrifices being made and we're not even onto full-on next-gen games yet.

Mondy

Banned
"Why not both?"

I would buy a more powerful Xbone SKU without Kinect that was the same price but more powerful in a heartbeat.

I really don't understand how Microsoft have not figured out that the Kinect is the worst piece of shit peripheral on the planet. ROB the fucking Robot was a more useful peripheral.

Zornack

"Why not both?"

Not to defend but there are multiple multiplats are 1080p/60 FPS on both -- mainly sports but you may not care about that genre.

EA sports games, skylanders, just dance and lego to be exact. Not exactly the games Microsoft wants to be pointing at and saying "see, no difference!"

Cragvis

Xb1 just launched guys! I mean come on, PS4 had a WHOLE WEEK to perfect their ecosystem to the point where multiplats look better than xb1 versions even though I just said that there are no differences between the two systems.

srsly pls buy xb1!

awww fuck it. maybe zynga is hiring.

Bgamer90

Banned
The quote is "the performance was the same" not "the resolution was the same" Regardless of what he meant, what he actually said was factually incorrect.

You're right.

I just remember the OP (when the thread was first put up) saying "the bulk of them (the games)" and nothing else. My mistake.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

The difference between 30 and 60fps is obvious, not quite sure how much more obvious you want it to be.

Bloodrage

Banned
No point in these atrocious lies, Penello, especially given their poor entertainment value. At this point, just finish the job and claim power of the cloud will save us and double the frame rate to match PS4.

m@cross

Why can't he just be honest and say something like;

The PS4 has more power than the XB1, but if you prefer our exclusive game library potential and/or overall system design decisions, you will not regret buying the XB1.

I think the main difference is that when games launched on both the PS3 and 360 and was obviously worse on the PS3... Sony wouldn't come out and say "it's not THAT different, basically the same". Sony simply didn't say anything which in this situation is probably best.

Come on, you know Sony had foot-in-mouth disease at the beginning of the previous generation as well. As bad if not worse than Microsoft right now.

Freki

Cognitive Dissonance: The Albert Penello Story

Nah - he's fully aware of the facts. I'd never question his intellect, only his integrity. He consciously decided to lie to existing and potential customers and has done so for months.

The "XBone cost $100 more but it has weaker specs" comment is the calling card of a lazy Sony fanboy considering the extra $100 is for the cost of the Kinect.

ok, take the $100 camera out of the equation. now your left with two $400 consoles that still have a gap in performance. maybe the premium your paying for is the ecosystem and achievements?

What else is MS going to do when they keep missing out on the latter? Commit seppuku?

They're stuck with the specs they have, and they're not going to win the power debate. No amount of PR obfuscation is going to magically double TR's frame rate or increase COD and Battlefield's resolution.

he was the Product Planner and they took a different direction with the Xbone. the hardware isn't focused on game performance so he shouldn't be trying to pull the wool over the eyes of consumers with statements like this.

So you want to crucify the man because he made a mistake? It's just video games man, he's not the first or last executive to do this kind of thing. I guess I just don't care as much as some people here.

If he lost your trust, buy the competitors product. The constant PR bash threads get old, what do you expect him to say? 'Hey guys I fucked up and games will look better on our competitions hardware lol'

It is like you are being intentionally obtuse. As others have said over and over, stop talking about framerates/resolution. Microsoft lost that debate from day one, and it is not going to get much better. They have a weaker console, accept that and move on. Talk about the strengths of the One. Did you read what Yoshi wrote? He should be saying stuff like that. Constantly talking about how the consoles have parity is ridiculous. Saying that they deliver the same framerate and resolution is a lie. I do not care if he is the first or last executive to lie, they should all be called out on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom