• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaucyJack

I don't have a list in-front of me but whats the chances hes being disingenuous?

Let's see, would these be the 12 games?

Assassin's Creed IV - better resolution on PS4
Battlefield 4 - better resolution on PS4
COD: Ghosts - better resolution on PS4
Need for Speed - better effects on PS4
NBA2K14 - better effects on PS4
Tomb Raider - better frame rate on PS4

FIFA 14 - no difference
LEGO MSH - no difference
Skylanders - no difference

Madden - don't know
NBA Live - don't know

Just Dance 2014 - no graphical differences, possibly better with Kinect? Although PS4 version better with Move than just Camera

IvorB

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

It's true. There is no 30% advantage. Seems like we are at 100% now.

BradC00

I think the main difference is that when games launched on both the PS3 and 360 and was obviously worse on the PS3... Sony wouldn't come out and say "it's not THAT different, basically the same". Sony simply didn't say anything which in this situation is probably best.

i'm a little bit fuzzy since it's been a sec since 2006, but I'm pretty sure they were saying things like next gen doesn't start until we say it does, it's probably too cheap, people will work more to own this, first 5 mil ps3s will sell without games doesn't matter, i'll give you 1200 bucks if you can find a ps3 sitting on a shelf, blasablah....

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Be honest. Talk about all the positives of the Xbox One instead of repeatedly acting like there isn't a huge difference when everyone knows it's totally false. They intentionally shipped an underpowered console so they could include other things like kinect and the tv features.

Also...you know...maybe talk about what matters most? Gameplay.

That conversation is what got many hardcore gamers to buy-in to the Wii in its early days. Despite an underpowered console, which Nintendo freely admitted, they focused on what Wii could deliver in new forms of gameplay.

They should be focusing on what sets the Xbox One apart...not repeatedly ramming their head into a wall over something that's a 100% technical fact that isn't going to change.

I wouldn't expect them to do this though, given that they totally backed out on their vision in the first place. It's clear they don't have a defined vision yet because of all the 180s.

That's the whole problem that keeps MS talking about specs instead of talking about what makes their platform different.

This isn't a situation like the Wii where they are selling a revolutionary way to play games and the software to back it up on day one. Kinect has offered nothing to improve games so far on XB1 beyond what has been done in past generations. Voice commands have been around in games since PS2 and Kinect Sports has been done. If the Xobx One can do some legitimately innovative things for gameplay due to the system, they've yet to show them. Also, they can't lean on a vastly superior online setup (friends/party system/matchmaking) like they were easily able to with the 360, which was the real revolution that the 360 brought to gameplay.

It's also real tough for them to hold up their multimedia features and Kinect dashboard commands because they can't go too far without blatantly lying about them. They have a tiny advantage in multimedia apps, but they don't have Twitch streaming. Kinect voice recognition is inconsistent (works well for some, poorly for others) and is really clunky compared to something like Siri. They do have cable, if that's your thing. The Snap feature isn't too useful to talk up because in the age of tablets and smartphones, having a laggy Internet Explorer or Netfilx show take up 1/20th of your screen isn't all that impressive. Also, many of these features can't be talked about too much because they flat-out aren't available or are busted in many of the countries the Xbox One is being sold in. So while they could hold up the Xbox One as a superior media box, they can't get into detail too much without alienating plenty of the countries that they sell in today.

The big thing to talk about is games, because that's what everyone who is buying a console this early wants. The fact is, resolution and frame rate have a pretty big effect on gameplay. Even if MS hadn't been making so much hay over the Xbox One being close, equal, or more powerful than PS4, it would still be news that so many multi platform games are running this much worse on Xbox because a lower frame rate and a lower resolution directly impact gameplay in several obvious ways and many not-so-obvious ways. The continued insistence from MS only makes this a bigger story everytime a new game releases.

CraZed

giphy.gif

Apropos, apropos.

jcm

Come on guys what else is he supposed to say?

"I don't think it's appropriate for me to discuss third party publishers' games. I can tell you that the Xbox One is absolutely capable of running games with impressive graphics, and I think our first party efforts demonstrate that. I think the Xbox One at its current price point represents an excellent value, and an impressive leap over previous generation hardware."

Huh? He said that it's early and it will get better meaning that he thinks it will match PS4 versions but then he says that its not a big difference right now,seems contradicting.

PBY

Banned
i'm a little bit fuzzy since it's been a sec since 2006, but I'm pretty sure they were saying things like next gen doesn't start until we say it does, it's probably too cheap, people will work more to own this, first 5 mil ps3s will sell without games doesn't matter, i'll give you 1200 bucks if you can find a ps3 sitting on a shelf, blasablah....

yup. its the reason that i can't wait for years 2-3 of this gen, all of that noise really calms down, and the games start coming, and we can chill again.

Bgamer90

Banned
I would buy a more powerful Xbone SKU without Kinect that was the same price but more powerful in a heartbeat.

I really don't understand how Microsoft have not figured out that the Kinect is the worst piece of shit peripheral on the planet. ROB the fucking Robot was a more useful peripheral.

Heh, would never say that ROB was more useful as that could only be used for one game.

I like the kinect features on the Xbox One (mainly due to how fast the device makes getting into playing a game). Head tracking implementation in certain games is good too. That's my opinion though.

I would buy a more powerful Xbone SKU without Kinect that was the same price but more powerful in a heartbeat.

I really don't understand how Microsoft have not figured out that the Kinect is the worst piece of shit peripheral on the planet. ROB the fucking Robot was a more useful peripheral.
It's weird they don't make these consoles with upgradeable RAM. X1 comes out like it is... no problem. Just add more RAM or more powerful RAM. They want these things to be like PC's, so why not just make a slot that opens up and boom... you add more RAM.

Both of them.. PS4 and X1. Is it not as easy as it sounds? I put a RAM expansion pack in my N64 with no problem. Seemed to work on games for that. Why don't these guys make the same type of option available?

Replicant

Those sentences......

His train-of-thoughts are all over the place. He sounds like he's trotting out some PR lines written by a junior that just got hired at the HQ.

Kuro

FIFA 14 - no difference
LEGO MSH - no difference

Madden - don't know
NBA Live - don't know

Just Dance 2014 - no graphical differences, possibly better with Kinect? Although PS4 version better with Move than just Camera

Fifa 14 has better AA on PS4 and BF4 and AC4 have smoother framerates on PS4

FIFA 14 - no difference
LEGO MSH - no difference

Madden - don't know
NBA Live - don't know

I think someone on the last page wrote that Albert said "performance".. Not talking about resolution.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
My random thoughts:

We shouldn't be surprised when he lies, it's his job. We shouldn't judge him too harshly as a person based on what he says. He definitely cannot be honest about the subject of tech specs unless he very deftly adds a bunch of positive stuff about "the ecosystem," input switching for teevee, and the incredible value added (lol) by kinect.

We should always call out his lies and unspin everything that can be unspun. Just because it's his job to massage the truth doesn't mean we shouldn't hold him 100% accountable. We are entitled to judge him harshly as a PR figure.

People who say he shouldn't have said anything are kind of right, but at the same time he has to say something, especially when asked a question by an interviewer. He should have crafted something much smarter, like what Yoshi posted earlier in this thread.

I wouldn't quite say its worth less(thought it's just an opinion). I have both and have used the Xbox One much more, between games, the TV integration, Xbox Fitness, I've found more value in the Xbox One so far but it's waaaay early.

That being said, what prompted you to be an early adopter? It's not like the specs weren't discussed at great length and with much salt here on GAF.

X1 has it's advantages, but you're on a gaming forum. I doubt many people here care about TV and Fitness apps. Those who do, great, but again, it's a gaming forum. That is irrelevent. The X1 is overpriced for what it is. It should be $300-$350 without Kinect, or $399 with Kinect included. Anything else is MS trying to rip us off.

It's weird they don't make these consoles with upgradeable RAM. X1 comes out like it is... no problem. Just add more RAM or more powerful RAM. They want these things to be like PC's, so why not just make a slot that opens up and boom... you add more RAM.

Both of them.. PS4 and X1. Is it not as easy as it sounds? I put a RAM expansion pack in my N64 with no problem. Seemed to work on games for that. Why don't these guys make the same type of option available?
Because that fragments the market?

Mondy

Banned

That would basically make them Steam Machines.

fantomena

Shouldn't the Xbone be more powerful in Europe since it had a week headstart in Europe?

The power of the cloud and secret sauce is probably region limited.

Oppo

Ew. The first quote is borderline insulting.

"Period, end of story."

No, Albert, you don't get to determine when a story ends. All you get to do is try to spin it.

Seriously. Is there any more obnoxious argument tactic? I just bristle when I hear those phrases. Like you get to end the debate.

I felt a bit bad for Albert before, he got raked over the coals pretty hard, and I'm sure he believes in his product.... But now he's just asking for it.

I bet Major Nelson saw the quote and was just like "you poor benighted idiot, what have you done".

Odrion

Banned

FIFA 14 - no difference
LEGO MSH - no difference

Madden - don't know
NBA Live - don't know

BF4 also has better framerate on the PS4, don't forget that.

Freki

My random thoughts:

We shouldn't be surprised when he lies, it's his job. We shouldn't judge him too harshly as a person based on what he says.

We should always call out his lies and unspin everything that can be unspun. Just because it's his job to massage the truth doesn't mean we shouldn't hold him 100% accountable. We are entitled to judge him harshly as a PR figure.

People who say he shouldn't have said anything are kind of right, but at the same time he has to say something, especially when asked a question by an interviewer. He should have crafted something much smarter, like what Yoshi posted earlier in this thread.

But he insisted he isn't PR:
I don't work in Microsoft PR. I'm not sure why that's there, and I can't change it.

I do work at Microsoft, however.
Been on the forums for years. I rarely post, but I read a bunch.

Certainly nothing condescending was intended. I really mean it – I had a bunch of people come to my office to tell me my name was in a GAF thread so I jumped online.

Also, no PR here. I don’t work in PR. Not trolling for any, either. This is on my personal time.

Probably just another lie though...

Zephyx

What does he mean by "we just shipped"? What kind of a reason is that?? If it's regarding the drivers, I do not see a reason why both Sony and MS would improve their own over time. This is BS.

Banned
I wish he would of diverted attention somehow. Be like
Yeah, but at least Xbox one gamers get to play those games unlike Wii U owners. Look at those guys over there. Can't even run the game at any resolution or framerate!

The truth is there isn't much Penello can say here.

~~Hasan~~

i have to ask, what does ryse has anything to do with tomb raider being 30 fps vs 60 ?

this guy is just out of touch.

if Ryse came to the PS4, guess what, it will still look better than Xbox one. "end of the story. period"

if this guy is the marketing manager / director for the xbox division " i am not sure if he is or not" then MS is in deep shit.

this is not how you respond to the tomb raider question. if you can't have an intelligent answer, then please. avoid the question. you simply can say " this is what the developers of tomb raider thought its best while they were developing the game and it has nothing to do with the xbox one power" or whatever answer that takes you out of the spotlight. not to stir things up.

"we just shipped" really ? really now ?

another thing: why they are still downplaying the power difference ? why they are still bringing this issue expose them selves more every time this subject calm down and people start to accept the reality ?

its a fact PS4 is more powerful than Xbox just as the fact Xbox 1 was more powerful than PS2. move along. get the people to buy your systems for the awesome exclusives like Titan Fall etc. not to bring the power difference back again

They cannot do that. Doing stuff like that changes the user base and you end up with an unknown. Console games are built upon the principle that each console is the 'same'. Consoles are marketed as easy, come home plug it in and play. It will play every ps4 game released, when you start adding in different variables you start separating the user-base.

fantomena

i have to ask, what does ryse has anything to do with tomb raider being 30 fps vs 60 ?

this guy is just out of touch.

if Ryse came to the PS4, guess what, it will still look better than Xbox one. "end of the story. period"

if this guy is the marketing manager / director for the xbox division " i am not sure if he is or not" then MS is in deep shit.

this is not how you respond to the tomb raider question. if you can't have an intellegent answer, then please. avoid the question. you simply can say " this is what the developers of tomb raider thought its best while they were developing the game and it has nothing to do with the xbox one power" or whatever answer that takes you out spot. not to stir things up.

"we just shipped" really ? really now ?

He said it because he proabably didn't have anything else to say.

gogosox8

Really? 30 fps vs 60 isn't a big deal? 720p vs 1080p isn't a big deal? Come on now. I know he has to defend the xbone but you just look silly when you say things like that.

Vizzeh

Banned
If I'm not mistaken:

CoD, BF4, AC4, NFS and NBA 2k 14 all preformed better on the PS4, some to a lesser degree than others.

Madden, FIFA, Just Dance, LEGO Marvel and Skylanders were pretty much identical.

I think those were all of the multiplats.

When EA sports games, a dance game and a lego game are the ones you point at and say "see, no difference!" you know you've fucked up.

Now Tomb raider at essentially 2x the framerate.

Im not so sure you can accept there are resolution and frame-rate differences generally between the consoles and then finish the sentence with "minor differences", he has pretty much contradicted himself and unfortunately for him created another shit storm, we knew there were differences, the fact he is being disingenuous, obtuse or even lying is what is driving these story's and debates further on.

No one likes being taken for an idiot and expected to believe unrealistic logic. Its like comical Ali in Iraq, nothing to see here! - Accept your an entertainment console MS and dont be drawn into debates, it just snowballs.

X1 is what it is, head to head vs PS4 is going to end in tears.

And what's funny, people in my situation who own an Xbox One are calling BS. Fair enough the Kinect does add money to the overall cost of the console but that justify it being there or that it's right.
Xbox: Snap bullshit detector.
It's hilariously sad.

The bulk of them were the same. I think there were 12 titles were released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes.

Holy shit I just noticed this.

Fuck, let's make the list...
  1. Assassin's Creed 4 - PS4:1080p @ 30 vs XB1: 900p @ 30
  2. Call of Duty: Ghosts - PS4:1080p @ ~50 vs XB1: 720p @ 60
  3. Battlefield 4 - PS4:900p @ ~60 vs XB1: 720p @ ~50
  4. Need For Speed - PS4:1080p HBAO & Bokeh DOF @ 30 vs XB1: 1080p @ 30 SSAO
  5. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - PS4:1080p @ ~60 vs XB1: 1080p @ ~30
  6. Lego: Marvel Super Heroes: - PS4:1080p @ 30 vs XB1: 1080p @ 30
  7. FIFA '14: - PS4:1080p @ 60 vs XB1: 1080p @ 60
  8. Skylanders - ?
  9. Madden - ?
  10. NBA Live - ?

Anyone else have more to list?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But he insisted he isn't PR:

Probably just another lie though...

Whether he is officially PR or not crucial. The crucial point is that his position dictates what he must say about MS and their product.

This means we shouldn't call him a horrible person for not being 100% truthful, but it also means we shouldn't take a single word out of his mouth at face value.

Orayn

Amount of RAM is not the major issue, and consoles can get an "expansion pack" over time by making the OS footprint smaller.

Dizzy

Banned
Man, this guy can really bullshit. Gotta hand it to him.

I wish microsoft would stop lying about this stuff now. Everyone knows the truth. They cry about how the hate needs to stop, well just stop lying and treating us like idiots. You give people reasons to hate your company. Just shut up and focus on funding great games and im sure the negative reaction would turn around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom