• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "XBone cost $100 more but it has weaker specs" comment is the calling card of a lazy Sony fanboy considering the extra $100 is for the cost of the Kinect.

Call it what you want, but it's ultimately the two prevailing narrative in regards to price difference.

"XB1 is both weaker and $100 more." = Bad value narrative.
"XB1 is $100 more & weaker, but Kinect makes up for it." = Good value narrative.

Guess what narrative is dominating the news sites and airwaves compared to the other?

Mondy

Banned
The "XBone cost $100 more but it has weaker specs" comment is the calling card of a lazy Sony fanboy considering the extra $100 is for the cost of the Kinect.

Yes, that's exactly right, and I'm really hoping you aren't suggesting that's a good thing.

Continually saying that the Xbox One will outperform the PS4 when the system is getting worse multiplats is pretty silly. Sony never did that with the PS2. They simply let the unique games and features do the talking.

Funny, I remember Phil Spencer going on TV selling how powerful the emotion engine is and hyping some rubber duck demo with the water physics. PS2 was sold on how much powerful next gen was over it's predecessor.

BigDug13

If Microsoft removes Kinect (which only costs them $75) and then eats a further $25 to bring the console to a price of $399, what does the excuse become then for why they are still so much weaker than an evenly priced console?

Taker666

I'm sure there will be parity in the future ....Microsoft can always prohibit the release of games on their systems that have lower framerate/resolution (so PS4 games are contained from looking better in future)...much like they prohibit games being released on the Xbox if they have had an earlier release on another system(resulting in games being held back from launching early on Sony/Nintendo platforms).

He should simply focus on the Xbox One games and unique features (now and future).

If he ever talks about specs then he should say that the system will "...provide experiences much better than anything possible on last gen consoles and the Wii U -- we will also have unique gaming experiences that the PS4 won't have" (or something similar to that) and nothing else when it comes to that topic.

Continually saying that the Xbox One will outperform the PS4 when the system is getting worse multiplats is pretty silly. Sony never did that with the PS2. They simply let the unique games and features do the talking.

Yeah he needs to let that go, but he won't. It's pretty foolish.

"NeoGAF, Imma let you finish. But I just gotta say....Ryse is the best looking game OF ALL TIME! Period! End of Story!"

-Kanye Penello

It is!!!.....
..on consoles
at least until
the
next
best looking game of all time!! Period! End of Story!

Slair

I can't see anything fanboyish about that statement, fanboys tend to talk shit but what that hypothetical lazy sony fanboy says is pure fact.

Averon

Albert will never live down that DirectX comment. And he shouldn't. What asinine reasoning. Why would he think that MS's creation of DirectX meant anything?

ibbbKaTDggsQgD.gif

GhaleonEB

Penello said:
Everybody wants to focus on frame rate, there is Tomb Raider, there is a resolution thing going on and OK, there could be a lot of reasons why that could be true
"why that could be true" - which kind of dances around the fact that it is true. Reality is right there. And while there may be a lot of reasons for it, he listed none. Yet one seems most plausible (hardware disparity). "Give us more time" is not a reason.

Ahhhh, the ole, "I know more than you" card.

I'm sure Albert knows more about these things than DICE or Crystal Dynamics or Ubisoft Montreal.

What qualifies as a big deal then? 720p v. 1080p no big deal. 30fps v. 60fps, no big deal. If these things are no big deal, then how can you sell the XB1/PS4 as a "big deal" compared to the previous generations? Aight cool, no big difference between x360 and XB1, stick with x360 then.

Exactly; you downplay these things too much and you negate the point in consumers upgrading to a new more powerful console.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I have not played either system, but I thought it was obvious, what with a number of games being 1080p on PS4 and 720p on Xbone?

Majanew

Banned
I believe that the differences between the boxes [PS4 and Xbox One] is not all that great and I know what is going behind the scenes and I have access to more information about some of this thing than a lot of people.

Uhh, the specs are out, dude. And real world tests (multiplats released so far) have shown PS4's more powerful hardware already being taken advantage of in several games. MS made a significantly weaker console than Sony did this time around. Maybe tell those responsible for Xbox and the tech that goes in, to try harder and do better with Xbox One's successor.

Xbox One's 1.18 TF GPU can't compete with PS4's 1.8 TF GPU. Won't matter what how much time goes by -- it is impossible. The best MS can hope for is devs go for parity by holding the PS4 version back, or that millions of gamers just don't give a shit how worse their game looks or runs.

Mononoke

Banned

Ah yes, but do you value Kinect and all its "features", over some substantial downgrade in most of the major titles you play? Sounds pretty damn ridiculous to me (this is gaming machine we are talking about, right?) And this is coming from someone that owns and X1, and actually likes the new Kinect.

(I put features in " ", because Kinect is actually shit when it comes to in game features. It's only good for navigation in the OS, and voice commands. But even that can be shaky/inconsistent).

BigDug13

I'm sure there will be parity in the future ....Microsoft can always prohibit the release of games on their systems that have lower framerate/resolution (so PS4 games are contained from looking better in future)...much like they prohibit games being released on the Xbox if they have had an earlier release on another system(resulting in games being held back from launching early on Sony/Nintendo platforms).

If they could have done that, they would have by now.

And having resolution parity was achieved, therefore there's a framerate difference. Or framerate parity can be achieved, but then resolution will have to be different.

There is absolutely no way they're going to pay off all the publishers/devs to leave all that spec headroom untouched on the PS4 and purposely downclock the framerates to lock at 30 on PS4 just for parity sake.

Their constant efforts to minimize the difference and pretend the two consoles are neck and neck ("Ryse is the best looking console game! The multiplats all look the same!") are only making them look worse. It's as bad as Reggie saying CoD on the WiiU was miles ahead at this point.

What they need to do is stop taking the bait on this and trying to tackle the power argument head on. This isn't like the Xbox 360 and PS3--which is especially ironic, considering how they were more than happy to deal in spec wars for those. But now that their cheaper competition is demonstrably more powerful, it's not a big deal all of a sudden?

Their focus should be on why the overall experience is better on the Xone, and why it's so much better that the console is a better value despite being $100 more. How they can do that when some promised functionality is still AWOL is anyone's guess, though.

No. Major Nelson was saying that.

Albert Penello said:
"The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great."

God damn. So much bullshit quotes that I don't even remember. The whole situation sucked, including the quotes upon quotes afterwards thanking these guys for posts like that.

Even outside from teh console warz

I want you to find a company in ANY industry that would publicly state they are "gimped" vs the competition

They do not, they talk about other things. Our vehicle gets better gas mileage, it is safer, quieter, has better ergonomics, less road noise, etc. They do not say our vehicle has the same hp when it does not, they do not say they preform the same when they do not. Microsoft, stop lying. Talk about something else, it isn't like consoles are only about performance. Talk about other things, you have lost that argument and blatantly lying about it isn't helping.

You know like this:

While there might be some technical differences between PS4 and Xbox One versions of multiplattform games, I'd like to stress the fact that these are not the only areas where PS4 and Xbox One versions differ. Xbox One versions offer a deeper experience though force feedback in the triggers that gives the player a new way to feel the action on screen. On top of that the Xbox One controller is built for supreme comfort in gameplay. For most games, Kinect also offers unique functionality that improves the immersion into a game. So I think the question of superiority of different versions of games needs to be answered on a lot of different levels and in many ways, I feel, Xbox One is the better platform to play these multi platform releases on. Our own exclusive content for Xbox One also shows that Xbox One can absolutely shine on a technological level. So, I'd recommend you not just to compare some numbers on a sheet, but to take a look at the whole experience when evaluating the Xbox One experience.

Honestly, it doesn't seem newsworthy or discussion worthy. Not sure what you think you'll gain from the discussion that you didn't already know.

Ok, so it isn't the thread for you? So why are you trying to stop others from discussing something that doesn't interest you? So I guess I wasn't junking up the thread after all then.

Bgamer90

Banned
Of course, that's how Forza was 1080p and 60FPS.

Well Forza has Driveatars so them talking about the cloud in terms of that game makes sense. Just forgot about them doing so.

I asked the question since talking about the cloud more when the system required an internet connection would make sense.

Violater

"why that could be true" - which kind of dances around the fact that it is true. Reality is right there. And while there may be a lot of reasons for it, he listed none. Yet one seems most plausible (hardware disparity). "Give us more time" is not a reason.

Do you think he might be trying to blame it on the Devs here?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So much condescension. And was this the guy asking for apologies if his predictions based on his Superior Knowledge turned out correct? And this is response when he was wide of the mark?

Stop leading your consumers up the garden path Albert.

Serick

Married Member
While there might be some technical differences between PS4 and Xbox One versions of multiplattform games, I'd like to stress the fact that these are not the only areas where PS4 and Xbox One versions differ. Xbox One versions offer a deeper experience though force feedback in the triggers that gives the player a new way to feel the action on screen. On top of that the Xbox One controller is built for supreme comfort in gameplay. For most games, Kinect also offers unique functionality that improves the immersion into a game. So I think the question of superiority of different versions of games needs to be answered on a lot of different levels and in many ways, I feel, Xbox One is the better platform to play these multi platform releases on. Our own exclusive content for Xbox One also shows that Xbox One can absolutely shine on a technological level. So, I'd recommend you not just to compare some numbers on a sheet, but to take a look at the whole experience when evaluating the Xbox One experience.

+$3

Are you Albert's "Good" doppelganger?

This. THIS is how they should be approaching marketing for the Xone.

spookyfish

Totally. But what REALLY bugs me is the XBone costs $100 more, and has weaker specs. I just can't get past that.

kyser73

If the Xbone were $100 cheaper it would have price parity and still be under powered relative to the competition.

Being generous and saying it's a 30% power difference, the Xbone would need to retail for $280 for price parity to match the power difference.

SaucyJack

Call it what you want, but it's ultimately the two prevailing narrative in regards to price difference.

"XB1 is both weaker and $100 more." = Bad value narrative.
"XB1 is $100 more & weaker, but Kinect makes up for it." = Good value narrative.

Guess what narrative is dominating the news sites and airwaves compared to the other?

The first narrative prevails for two reasons.

1. Microsoft have continually gone down the "it's not weaker" route in their arguments when it was obvious from the specs and is now obvious in the games; and

2. Microsoft have done nothing to support or promote the "the Kinect makes up for it" idea or to demonstrate that this is, in any meaningful way, true.

So who's to blame for the prevailing narrative?

Do you think he might be trying to blame it on the Devs here?

He's not, he's blaming it on 'random reason #468 that he won't comment and reveal."

He's obviously not going to call out anyone, otherwise he risk PR retaliation from the devs who may call him out in his bullshit.

He's blaming it on 'reasons that doesn't imply hardware difference.'

Enchanted

Banned
Remember when Albert and Major Nelson were saying they couldn't wait for the truth to come out?

It came out, MS made people pay $100 more for a system possibly worth $200 less.

Don't feel bad, I was one of the suckers too.

Yes, Albert, there is performance parity on titles like just dance, skylanders and Lego. You got Sony right where you want them.

So, the PS4, that also just shipped doesn't have problems... what's the answer for that? Could it possibly be that the hardware is... you know...better?

Of course Ryse looks good. It's 900p at 30fps. Sometimes.

Sony should seriously just release that full interactive tech demo of the dark sorcerer so people can just shut up about the power.

I don't get why everyone is getting so worked up, what did you expect him to say? Is he supposed to bash his own product and lose his job just to please some gaffers? Come on now.

dose

Penello said:
I think there were 12 titles were released on both platforms [PS4 and Xbox One], leaving three, all of them had the same performance on both boxes.
LOL what.
Jeez, I'm going to wear this gif out.
4mfchgY.gif

I don't get why everyone is getting so worked up, what did you expect him to say?
How about not telling blatant lies about the comparisons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom