• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydle

Lol. Okay.

There is a massive difference between spinning something in a positive light and blatantly lying. Spinning it would be saying the game runs great on One, it is an exciting next-gen experience, etc. etc. Saying that the multi-plat games are the same is a boldfaced lie.

Can you not see the difference?

I see the difference. I'm just putting his words in context of his obvious bias. Thus what he says doesn't influence my perception of anything.

Ignoring it is far more powerful than junking up a GAF thread about it.

EGM1966

He should simply focus on the Xbox One games and unique features (now and future).

If he ever talks about specs then he should say that the system will "...provide experiences much better than anything possible on last gen consoles and the Wii U -- we will also have unique gaming experiences that the PS4 won't have" (or something similar to that) and nothing else when it comes to that topic.

Continually saying that the Xbox One will outperform the PS4 when the system is getting worse multiplats is pretty silly. Sony never did that with the PS2. They simply let the unique games and features do the talking.

Agreed. While I prefer the PS4 I can see why folks would prefer the XB1 - what I find strange is MS obsession with focusing on an area where the two can be compared and less favourable for the XB1 (raw power for videogames and specs) vs actually focusing on the stuff I can see myself is the differentiators that will drive a customers decision (exclusive games, kinect interaction, TV & media features, social features, etc).

They seem desperate to claim they are best at everything instead of focusing clearly on what is different and unique about their offering - I'd argue this has been an issue since reveal when their message was equally garbled.

The funny thing is they're ignoring that the PS2 and Wii both show being the most powerful doesn't mean automatic win. Heck they should even look at how Sony turned around the PS3 against the tide of often weaker multi-plat versions. They're really failing badly in the PR/Marketing in my view and are lucky the brand coupled with some decent launch titles has given them solid sales.

Busty

Banned
I think the line "Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?" is going to get banded about by MS alot this generation.

Guitarmy

Banned
The "XBone cost $100 more but it has weaker specs" comment is the calling card of a lazy Sony fanboy considering the extra $100 is for the cost of the Kinect.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Didn't he argue on this very site that he DIDN'T know what was going on in the background? Wasn't there about 20 pages of people arguing he must know what resolutions and framerates games in development are running in?

jjasper

Ignoring the fact that he is wrong on the number of games with differences, I am not sure that saying you jjust launched is a valid argument considering the competition did too at a cheaper price point.

Begaria

Huh...Albert's response sounds oddly familiar.

*checks misterxmedia*

Ah, yes, here it is, quoted directly from today's post!

misterxmedia's "insider"
The hardest thing right now is these old engines are not made with dynamic parallelism gpu's in mind. And xbox 1 architecture is. The reason why ps4 is pulling out the gate early in terms of a few 3rd party games is the nature of the off the shelf nature of the hardware.

After e3 this year all this bugging about ps4 is this ps4 is that will be finally put to rest.. Microsoft xbox team have never been about who has the biggest hardware phallus. There about the games/ software tools.. The facts are new hardware takes more tool chaining more development time and more resources. See ryse gfx .. they will look last gen when e3 2014 comes around. And nothing on ps4 will look better then ryse at e3 2014.. you just have to be passionate and wait

Mmmhmm.

Guymelef

Come on guys what else is he supposed to say?

Wise%2Bmen%2Bspeak%2Bbecause%2Bthey%2Bhave%2Bsomething%2Bto%2Bsay%2BFools%2Bbecause%2Bthey%2Bhave%2Bto%2Bsay%2Bsomething.jpg

This guy has no idea what he's doing. It's hilarious watching him crash and burn and not doing any favors (instead hurting it more) for the brand. Spin, bullshit, lie and more spin. That's mainly been his game, and this really shows it.

Mononoke

Banned
Hmmm.

Xbox One will get better performance over time, and PS4 will get better performance over time.

Lets look at this another way:
Person A has 181 dollars in their pocket.
Person B has 123 dollars in their pocket.
Both Person A and Person B get an additional 20 dollars from a kind benefactor.
Who still has more money?

I was thinking the same thing a couple months back. But given what we knew about the PS4 specs, it would be safe to assume that as the generation goes on, the first party titles for PS4 are going be insane. First party titles are going to tap into the raw power more than third party. So imagine the gap between PS4 first party titles and X1 first party titles 5 years from now.

Holy god, Naughty Dog's games are going to be incredible.

Nyoro SF

Didn't he argue on this very site that he DIDN'T know what was going on in the background? Wasn't there about 20 pages of people arguing he must know what resolutions and framerates games in development are running in?

Pretty much! The defense is laughable, of course he knows. He has to know.

jelly

Penello will never admit it for obvious reasons. He either doesn't say anything or toes the PR line.

We can see with our own eyes, don't need validation from Penello. I know people want him to admit he was full of shit but that won't happen. Just be happy you know the truth from proof in the pudding, leave it at that.

J-P

Neo Member
Frame rate and Resolution. Marketing buzzwords the Internet intelligencia does believe in.

Just give me fun games.

Marketing buzzwords? Actually they are both very real factors that have a major impact on the way a game looks and feels. But i guess whatever helps you sleep at night...

idlewild_

Yes.. this is correct. But it's already getting most games at 1080p/60fps. That's what I'm talking about. Unless you mean PS4 is going to be 4k/120fps or something.

Resolution/FPS did not improve very much over the course of the past generation, instead studios focused on adding better effects, scale, lighting, AI, enemy density, more dynamic environments, etc. I would expect more of the same this generation.

chrislowe

The "XBone cost $100 more but it has weaker specs" comment is the calling card of a lazy Sony fanboy considering the extra $100 is for the cost of the Kinect.

I dont want Kinect, and i've been into electronics since 1986 and dont think Kinect would add another $100 to the price really, whatever peoples guesses are.

daveo42

Banned
Yes.. this is correct. But it's already getting most games at 1080p/60fps. That's what I'm talking about. Unless you mean PS4 is going to be 4k/120fps or something.

My X1 is a hell of a lot better than my 360 and PS3. I'm a very satisfied customer so far.

That's not what he's saying. The cap this gen for title on consoles will likely cap at 1080p/60fps due to hardware limitations. The specs for either aren't all that bad, but there's no way that either console will produce something that looks like Ryse or Killzone at 4k or 120fps.

The idea is both consoles will look better and better, while pushing that 1080p/60fps envelope. Look at the difference between launch games for the 360/PS3 versus what we have now. We might get that leap this generation as well, but devs are limited in what they can do with the tools (including console spec) they have.

While raw numbers don't translate into good games, these numbers show that the PS4 has a higher threshold in comparison to the Xbox One. Both will grow with age, but one will be able to grow a bit more than the other.

george_us

What's odd is that, like other posters have said, MS PR isn't really focused on things that differentiate the Xbone like Kinect, voice commands, the tv stuff, etc. I'm shocked they're basically allowing the PR war to be dictated on Sony's terms.

Zornack

Frame rate and Resolution. Marketing buzzwords the Internet intelligencia does believe in.

Just give me fun games.

Is Tomb Raider less fun on the PS4? No, it's the same game but preforms better. 90% of the resolution talk is about multiplats. No one is saying Killzone is a more fun or a better game than Dead Rising 3 because it's 1080p while DR3 is 720p but Tomb Raider, BF4, Ghosts, etc. are better games on the PS4. That's indisputable.

Dunlop

He is delusional. Why can't they just admit they've gimped the design and it's going to be like the an entire generation.

Even outside from teh console warz

I want you to find a company in ANY industry that would publicly state they are "gimped" vs the competition

BigDug13

Kinect costs $75 for Microsoft. Its removal would end up having an XBO that costs $425.

For people saying "what else could he say?"
He should keep his mouth shut.
Stuff like this makes Xbox look like even more of a joke than it was before.

I think you are overestimating how much your average, non-message board/console wars gamer cares about this stuff. It's provably fairly meaningless in the grand scheme.

I see the difference. I'm just putting his words in context of his obvious bias. Thus what he says doesn't influence my perception of anything.

Ignoring it is far more powerful than junking up a GAF thread about it.

So what do you want us to discuss in a thread that is "Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference."

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

You nearly got me lol

He shouldn't fight a battle he's going to lose. Instead of balancing the technical facts, just promote the else the console offers to improve the experience.
He will be hated for saying something posivite regardless, just don't make it easy.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Was Albert the one who said "The truth will come out" at launch?
No. Major Nelson was saying that.

Albert Penello said:
"The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

There is no option to buy it without Kinect and there is no compelling reason to have Kinect right now. Even if PS4 and XBO were the same price, as a purely gaming console XBO's value proposition is far weaker.

Well, OBVIOUSLY the libraries and development tools will improve for and developers will learn more about the One, while no such optimization will occur with the PS4.

It will, I'm sure, just stand still and not be improved even more over time.

yeah exactly what i was thinking lol.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

As an Xbox One owner I want to believe you...

.............but I don't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom