• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello on Project Scorpio and the future of Xbox (Inner Circle Podcast)

SOR5

Seeing as PS4 and Xbone games usually use the same settings albeit at different resoultions. Xbone games running at 4k isn't going to be ugly.

Yeah thats another thing as well, a lot of people question how perfect IQ can get with native 4k and HDR on the go but it's one of those see-it-to-believe-it things

But please MS, dont forget the games. Thats the stuff that sells first and foremost, i'm sure they'll deliver in the multiplat department but keep that first party variety coming.

Trup1aya

GAF's own Albert Penello who leads planning for Xbox answered a few questions on TiC Podcast the other day, here is the link to listen

A few snippets of information regarding Scorpio, whats to come, and some other things. There might be some stuff you already know and some stuff you don't so:

• [*]Microsoft seeing the future of Xbox like a PC, game's dont have to be abandoned at all, any of the hard stops will be removed

[*]Each Xbox from now on will be a natural extension of the last one without disrupting progress made in the gaming industry, a big "family" from now on

I feel like my prophesies are coming true

So they're advertising it as a 4k console, yet developers are free to leave 4k and push other graphical options with the power instead.

That's actually very misleading with how much they've been hyping it as a 4k machine. Glad I didn't jump on the 4k bandwagon or I'd be pissed off.

Not that I have a preference for 4k over other options, but if I was to buy a 4kTV and a console expecting every game to be native 4k then I would be very disappointed.

Seems to me they are advertising it as native 4K capable...

I think it would make more sense to be upset with developers for not pushing native 4K IF that's your thing...

However, until 4K TVs become the norm, I think most gamers would be more than happy to see 1080p 60fps with enhanced visuals and effects become a norm.

SOR5

Also let me edit in that I forgot that the whole uncomprimised 4K thing means that if devs already have a 60fps game, MS wants devs to be able to deliver that same game in 4K 60fps. Again, not a necessity, just an available option.

paulogy

• MS wants consumers to have a choice between base model Xbox or go premium with Scorpio, all Xbox games and accessories will work across this family though should a consumer want to upgrade.

Did he actually use the phrasing "go premium"? If so, this points toward my suspicion that Scorpio is going to be a beast of a system, and likely to cost $499, $599 or perhaps even more.

Edit: So Greenberg in a different interview said "Well, we think about it as a premium product. From that standpoint, it is going to be a very high-end product. " so it would seem so... (Source)

Why don't MS just give us full feature PC box in console form factor? Like give me a reason not to.
It does everything they try to achieve, fix every problem an Xbox ever facing and more!
A unify ecosystem, forward and backward compatible, buy one copy use across all devices (duh), your library follow you forever, VR solution, no more start from zero, tons of biggest exclusives that other console doesn't have, lots of Japanese support, retro gaming, productivity, all the App you ever need, everything, you name it.
Such console will destroy all competitions. Why go through all the trouble and resource when you have the perfect golden goose right in front of you?

You can already buy those, Alienware say hi

I am betting Scorpio will have other capabilities beyond being 6 teraflops. A 6tf system in late 2017 shouldnt cost that much as AMD already has a gpu that costs below $300 that is 6tf. Plus MS will buy them in bulk which lowers the price drastically. The system probably has some other Windows 10 type feature.

If Scorpio turns out being your same X1 games just on 4k, I will pass. I want whatever resolution it takes at high/ultra settings.

SOR5

I am betting Scorpio will have other capabilities beyond being 6 teraflops. A 6tf system in late 2017 shouldnt cost that much as AMD already has a gpu that costs below $300 that is 6tf. Plus MS will buy them in bulk which lowers the price drastically. The system probably has some other Windows 10 type feature.

Yeah I think 6TF is just the surface as well, seems to be way more going on

RoKKeR

All sounding good to me. Still haven't decided whether or not a premium console is something I want, but they are saying the right things.

ekim

I would like to know how long within these iterations games will be made for an old console. Like say Scorpio 3 games won't run on Xbox One.

Warablo

I would rather devs use the extra power for 60 FPS and bigger and better features than 4K. The 4k is probably going to be used on less stressful games and older/BC titles.

Good stuff. Should iron out any confusion that people may still have, for now.

I'm sure there will be a bunch of new questions the more we learn about Scorpio and the sooner we get to the release date.

I gotta say, I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of iterative consoles and smaller release cycles, but I'm warming up to it.

shoreu

They don't say xbox accessories. They say accessories. Unless the scorpio doesn't support VR and VR games are not counted as games then that statement is nonsense.

dude stop being obtuse... your going out of your way to stir up nothing.

Good stuff. Should iron out any confusion that people may still have, for now.

I'm sure there will be a bunch of new questions the more we learn about Scorpio and the sooner we get to the release date.

I gotta say, I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of iterative consoles and smaller release cycles, but I'm warming up to it.
It was never that confusing to be honest. Just some people being difficult about premium consoles-both Neo and Scorpio- for whatever reason.

Hawk269

I am sure it was mentioned, but all the power in the world will be pointless without games that really show the differences and why people should get a Scorpio. I think what MS really needs to do is with the 1st party and key 3rd party devs is to work with them and even help fund updates to existing games that will update/patch games that take advantage of the extra performance.

I am sure there will be 1st party titles (Forza 7) that will show this, but I think taking a game like Halo 5 and updating it with Scorpio specific features would do a lot for consumers. Applying the same thing to key 3rd party titles as well. The more they are able to offer consumers in software the better things will be turn out. Again, I know this sounds like common sense, let's just hope MS delivers with both new and existing updated titles.

Synth

Why don't MS just give us full feature PC box in console form factor? Like give me a reason not to.
It does everything they try to achieve, fix every problem an Xbox ever facing and more!
A unify ecosystem, forward and backward compatible, buy one copy use across all devices (duh), your library follow you forever, VR solution, no more start from zero, tons of biggest exclusives that other console doesn't have, lots of Japanese support, retro gaming, productivity, all the App you ever need, everything, you name it.
Such console will destroy all competitions. Why go through all the trouble and resource when you have the perfect golden goose right in front of you?

How the hell does this still get asked in nearly every Xbox / PlayAnywhere thread?

They're not doing this, because people would just do what they've always done with every other form factor of PC, and just install Steam on it and buy everything there. There's no point in having your console "destroy" the others if Valve is the one making all the sales on it, and Lenovo can produce the exact same thing. That's the same as just not having a console.

SOR5

Did he actually use the phrasing "go premium"? If so, this points toward my suspicion that Scorpio is going to be a beast of a system, and likely to cost $499, $599 or perhaps even more.

Edit: So Greenberg in a different interview said "Well, we think about it as a premium product. From that standpoint, it is going to be a very high-end product. " so it would seem so... (Source)

Yeah this is gonna be a $499-er I think

Unless they wanna be stupidly aggressive with their pricing

jelly

I hope the 1st party devs don't bow to the 4K bullet point. 1440p or something, use the power for better things.

Corine

If Scorpio turns out being your same X1 games just on 4k, I will pass. I want whatever resolution it takes at high/ultra settings.

Devs have a choice on how they want to use the power. They can use the power for 4k with current console like graphics or lower resolution with better graphics. It's 100% up to the developer. Also no console will ever be running all its games at high/ultra settings. Those settings will probably always be a PC only option since those settings get raised constantly.

GRaider81

I hope the 1st party devs don't bow to the 4K bullet point. 1440p or something, use the power for better things.

Agree, My 1080 is capable of 4k but it usually comes at a price to fps (huge sweeping statement i know but recent games haven't been great)

Give me 1080 or 1440 with everything maxed out over 4k anyday.

Personally hope Neo and Scorpio give users options like we get on PC, then you can play how you want

Agreed. Maybe similar to how Gear VR is "powered by Oculus"? Options would be ideal though, including the Vive and Rift.

I'd be perfectly happy with them making Scorpio compatible with Vive and/or Rift (would be great if both) and calling it a day. More options would be nice, but Vive and Rift are working solutions, and would work well with MS' PC-console unity angle.

Of course, MS would have to figure out how to handle royalties...but as a consumer, I don't care about that part. Just make it work.

scoobs

The $1,200 Titan X pascal can barely even do 4K/60fps and its 11 TFs (Nvidia TFs mind you). I'm stunned they believe a 6TF AMD APU will be able to perform at this level. There might be one game that looks like garbage that maybe does? They have to know that 6TF is absolutely not enough. Unless they're using some kind of magic

.No plans to phase out Xbox One, such a topic is for the "very very far away future"

Bullshit, that's getting dropped as soon as they have cleared out the stock in the channel and the inventory of components in the supply chain. There is. No way they are going to be supporting manufacture of 3 different consoles.

MrFlooD

.No plans to phase out Xbox One, such a topic is for the "very very far away future"

Bullshit, that's getting dropped as soon as they have cleared out the stock in the channel and the inventory of components in the supply chain. There is. No way they are going to be supporting manufacture of 3 different consoles.

Pretty sure they consider the XBOX One S the new standard base model. Don't think they are referring to the original model.

Trup1aya

First of all, they aren't manufacturing 3 different consoles. The Xbox 1S is replacing the Xbox One in the channel CURRENTLY.

Secondly, why would they bother manufacturing the 1S if they were going to discontinue it within a year.

This makes no sense.

I have a hard time believing MS won't have their own special xbox VR headset.

Why would they? My the time Scorpio launches, they'll be a ton of existing VR games that are already tuned to 3rd party devices.

Why waste all the R&D and deal with all the logistics of creating and shipping yet another device, when they can just make they Scorpio compatible for existing peripherals.

gamz

Why would they? My the time Scorpio launches, they'll be a ton of existing VR games that are already tuned to 3rd party devices.

Why waste all the R&D and deal with all the logistics of creating and shipping yet another device, when they can just make they Scorpio compatible for existing peripherals.

Yeah, I don't see them investing in VR when they are sold on AR. Perhaps waaay down the road, but it's up to other vendors to supply that and I'm sure they will jump at it.

What they may offer is their own VR OS based on Hololens or something like that.

There is. No way they are going to be supporting manufacture of 3 different consoles.

After the Xbox 360 slim models came out, these were still referred to as the Xbox 360 and older models were discontinued. Same with PS3 Slim models. Still called PS3, still discontinuing the old models.

Why would anyone automatically assume it'd be any different for the Xbox One?

Devs have a choice on how they want to use the power. They can use the power for 4k with current console like graphics or lower resolution with better graphics. It's 100% up to the developer. Also no console will ever be running all its games at high/ultra settings. Those settings will probably always be a PC only option since those settings get raised constantly.
I know it's up to the developers but I kinda expect they to go for the easiest solution, same game but with 4k resolution. If we want better looking games (like high settings or similar) MS should be assiting developers. I hope they do.

The $1,200 Titan X pascal can barely even do 4K/60fps and its 11 TFs (Nvidia TFs mind you). I'm stunned they believe a 6TF AMD APU will be able to perform at this level. There might be one game that looks like garbage that maybe does? They have to know that 6TF is absolutely not enough. Unless they're using some kind of magic

Yeah.

onQ123

if Xbox One can do 1080P with a 1.32TF GPU from 2012 why wouldn't Scorpio be able to run games at around the same fidelity in 4K with a 6TF GPU from 2017?

Top Bottom