• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello on Project Scorpio and the future of Xbox (Inner Circle Podcast)

Synth

if Xbox One can do 1080P with a 1.32TF GPU from 2012 why wouldn't Scorpio be able to run games at around the same fidelity in 4K with a 6TF GPU from 2017?

I think what throws a lot of people off, is that they're comparing with PC benchmarks where the game is running with maxed settings at 4K, which isn't at all comparable with what the consoles are outputting. Turn everything in your PC games down to where they are on XB1 (where a 750Ti is comfortable), and then see if your Titan X Pascal can't push that at 4K.

^
There's probably some that yeah. Though I still think 60fps might be a little much.

if Xbox One can do 1080P with a 1.32TF GPU from 2012 why wouldn't Scorpio be able to run games at around the same fidelity in 4K with a 6TF GPU from 2017?

At 60fps?

I do agree it could probably do it for some good titles at 30fps with those XB1 assets.

statham

I'm skeptical about the 4K at 60 FPS with only 6 TF claim. Gotta see it to believe it.

its going to be 4k 30 for the most part, Forza F7 will be 60 and Horizon 4 will be 30. I've seen it in both PS and XB threads, I don't know why some you expect 4K/60 as norm, very few PC cards can even do that.

Matthew23

As a Xbox One owner with no plans of getting a 4k TV anytime soon it's going to come down to how devs handle the extra Scorpio power for me. $500 for a better framerate is a lot of money. 1080p/60 and "High" settings mode sounds much more appealing.

Having Vive/Rift compatibility would be a huge plus.

Edit - Doesn't 4k take around 4x the processing power of 1080p? So if Scorpio is 4x as powerful as X1 current games should have very similar frame rates, but in 4k. 60 FPS games should still be 60 FPS.

Makes sense to make the vision uncompromised 4K.

It may allow MS to have possible control over dominant emerging 4K content. Adoption for 4K streaming / blurray is overall low, no surprise.

But MS being able to be pushing high fidelity video games in 4K 60fps is going to make waves among adoption rates as games can be easily supplied compared to the rate of 4K movies being released.

Basically MS can push the wave by having the hardware that has the most content.

Makes sense to make the vision uncompromised 4K.

It may allow MS to have possible control over dominant emerging 4K content. Adoption for 4K streaming / blurray is overall low, no surprise.

But MS being able to be pushing high fidelity video games in 4K 60fps is going to make waves among adoption rates as games can be easily supplied compared to the rate of 4K movies being released.

Basically MS can push the wave by having the hardware that has the most content.

Did you even read the OP?

statham

As a Xbox One owner with no plans of getting a 4k TV anytime soon it's going to come down to how devs handle the extra Scorpio power for me. $500 for a better framerate is a lot of money. 1080p/60 and "High" settings mode sounds much more appealing.

Having Vive/Rift compatibility would be a huge plus.

Edit - Doesn't 4k take around 4x the processing power of 1080p? So if Scorpio is 4x as powerful as X1 current games should have very similar frame rates on Scorpio, in 4k. 60 FPS games should still be 60 FPS.

Yes but you have games like BF4 that are 720p on XBO, those games will be 1080/60 on Scorpio, but maybe better draw distances, better effects then Neo. I Highly doubt they try to push frostbite games to 4k on either system.

Matthew23

Yes but you have games like BF4 that are 720p on XBO, those games will be 1080/60 on Scorpio, but maybe better draw distances, better effects then Neo. I Highly doubt they try to push frostbite games to 4k on either system.

Yeah, if it's not hitting 1080p now 4k might not be the best option.

onQ123

I think what throws a lot of people off, is that they're comparing with PC benchmarks where the game is running with maxed settings at 4K, which isn't at all comparable with what the consoles are outputting. Turn everything in your PC games down to where they are on XB1 (where a 750Ti is comfortable), and then see if your Titan X Pascal can't push that at 4K.

Yeah it's kinda crazy that people still do that.

At 60fps?

I do agree it could probably do it for some good titles at 30fps with those XB1 assets.

If it's 60 fps on Xbox One it's most likely will be 60fps on Scorpio.

Technology has advanced since the Xbox One was made so it's not just the fact that Scorpio will have 4.5X the GPU flops as Xbox One, It will also have more advance hardware in the console.

Yagharek

Looking here at my collection of games across multiple platforms and generations I like that they are seeking some continuity with people's software libraries now.

In a digital environment I'd argue that it is a necessity going forward.

We have had it on dsi and wii to the 3ds and wii u. If it can become a standard though that benefits everyone.

I'd much rather they focus something on more realistic, like, taking a 1080p 30 fps game on xbox one and making it 1440p at 60 fps with better AA and AF solutions.

Enough with this 4k nonsense.

scoobs

Well, a few things.

-The quote said "4K 60fps", which is what I was referring to
-Something like 10% of Xbox One games are 1080p, so not a great example
-6TF AMD GPUs can't do 4K 60fps. 4K/30 is realistic.

bunbun777

Highly doubtful of native 4k 60 fps, but yea, hopefully they actually accomplish it, would be a true service to console games and in my mind would be a huge step into building back a positive reputation.

statham

Highly doubtful of native 4k 60 fps, but yea, hopefully they actually accomplish it, would be a true service to console games and in my mind would be a huge step into building back a positive reputation.

again with 4k/60, how much are PC cards that can do this? its going to be 4k/30, why is that hard to understand?

scoobs

again with 4k/60, how much are PC cards that can do this? its going to be 4k/30, why is that hard to understand?

Cuz.... magic apparently? I'm a little shocked Microsoft would even throw this rhetoric around. They aren't stupid, they know it won't be able to do 4K/60. If they had a 10TF machine it MIGHT be possible. Maybe.

statham

Cuz.... magic apparently? I'm a little shocked Microsoft would even throw this rhetoric around, they aren't stupid, they know it won't be able to do 4K/60. If they had a 10TF machine it MIGHT be possible. Maybe.

I agree. Tho you know Forza 7 will be 4k/60 and they don't need to invest in AA, plus a little extra power. It should be glorious.

bunbun777

Hard to understand? More like hard to believe, maybe ms should hire you to translate what their pr is actually trying to say then dummies like me wouldn't be so confused.

4k/60fps is the gold standard. The same as 1080p/60fps is right now. Do all games run at 1080p/60fps right now? No. So take that average and translate it to the new box. There will be lots of games that are 4k/30, some will be 4k/60 some will not even be 4k. Just like now with 1080p it depends on the game.

So saying right out the gate it can't do 4k/60 is a bit silly, just because some higher Teraflop card can't do it on PC at completely different(higher) settings than the xbox one version.

Halo 6 will be 4k/60 and it will have the same graphics settings it has on xbox one in order to achieve that. The same thing with Forza 7. Whatever game is 1080p/60 (very small minority) on the one today is what you can expect to be 4k/60 on the Scorpio when it comes.

bunbun777

so you are one of those peeps that are somehow 'confused' got it.

That's just it I'm not confused, but in your mind I can't understand that 4k 60 fps is unattainable. Oddly enough I seem to be defending ms more than you lol, I mean Albert wouldn't say it if it wasn't just a tiny bit possible would he?

jdmonmou

its going to be 4k 30 for the most part, Forza F7 will be 60 and Horizon 4 will be 30. I've seen it in both PS and XB threads, I don't know why some you expect 4K/60 as norm, very few PC cards can even do that.

I'm skeptical that the Scorpio console can do 4K/60 FPS. Penello said on the podcast that games can run at 4K 60 FPS but developers may choose to use the power in other ways...so don't expect every game to run at 4K 60 FPS.

statham

That's just it I'm not confused, but in your mind I can't understand that 4k 60 fps is unattainable. Oddly enough I seem to be defending ms more than you lol, I mean Albert wouldn't say it if it wasn't just a tiny bit possible would he?

in my mind? I already said F7 is going to be 4k/60. I'm so 'confused' . 4k/60 is unattainable for most AAA games. visit a PC thread. 4k/60 is the gold standard , that takes a beast to hit. 4k/60 will not be the norm when scorpio hits.

The $1,200 Titan X pascal can barely even do 4K/60fps and its 11 TFs (Nvidia TFs mind you). I'm stunned they believe a 6TF AMD APU will be able to perform at this level. There might be one game that looks like garbage that maybe does? They have to know that 6TF is absolutely not enough. Unless they're using some kind of magic

The problem with this statement it's missing way too many variables. What is it that the Titan X can't run at 4k/60? The Division at Max Settings? Well yeah that probably won't be possible on a Scorpio either. But if you have it match the settings on the Xbox One version (low,medium) then it's totally doable even on cheaper cards. So those PC benchmarks aren't comparable because they're running more demanding settings than the console versions.

RoKKeR

Very well said, and I see my approach being similar once the console is released and we see how the games are different.

scoobs

4k/60fps is the gold standard. The same as 1080p/60fps is right now. Do all games run at 1080p/60fps right now? No. So take that average and translate it to the new box. There will be lots of games that are 4k/30, some will be 4k/60 some will not even be 4k. Just like now with 1080p it depends on the game.

So saying right out the gate it can't do 4k/60 is a bit silly, just because some higher Teraflop card can't do it on PC at completely different(higher) settings than the xbox one version.

Halo 6 will be 4k/60 and it will have the same graphics settings it has on xbox one in order to achieve that. The same thing with Forza 7. Whatever game is 1080p/60 (very small minority) on the one today is what you can expect to be 4k/60 on the Scorpio when it comes.

You're dismissing facts and countering with wild speculation. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works!

I'll eat my shoes if Halo 6 is 4K/60fps.

onQ123

Well, a few things.

-The quote said "4K 60fps", which is what I was referring to
-Something like 10% of Xbox One games are 1080p, so not a great example
-6TF AMD GPUs can't do 4K 60fps. 4K/30 is realistic.

Why make a blanket statement like this? this is a console coming out 4 years after the Xbox One & it's only being tasked with running Xbox One games at 4 - 6X the resolution.

Some things on the hardware side held a lot of Xbox One games back so the newer hardware could be a lot more efficient & make it easier to get to the Xbox One graphical level.

You're dismissing facts and countering with wild speculation. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works!

I'll eat my shoes if Halo 6 is 4K/60fps.

I think it's a lot safer to say that Halo 6 and Forza 7 will be 4k/60fps on the Xbox Scorpio than to say no game will be like you're doing.

Edit: If the Xbox Scorpio can't play a single game in 4k/60fps (because "6TF AMD GPUs can't do 4k 60fps") I'll buy you an Xbox Scorpio.

Proelite

So.... Anyone is up for a ban bet that Forza on Scorpio would be 4k 60fps? Scoobs?

Scorpio can do Forza at 4k60fps with power to spare.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So.... Anyone is up for a ban bet that Forza on Scorpio would be 4k 60fps? Scoobs?

I don't know, they better start doing full dynamic global illumination. It would be horrible if they don't use new resources for something that GT has had for a while because they want to hit 4K.

Hawk269

Forza 7 is going to be used as one of the big examples of what the Scorpio can do. I think, with the work that Turn 10 has been doing on Forza Apex is what will help them make Forza 7 be incredible looking on Scorpio. With Apex, they have all these dynamic settings that the game itself adjusts to maintain resolution/frame rate. Even if the Scorpio sticks to being a 6tf GPU (we don't know about CPU), they can make it work where it will be 4k/60fps. Apex at 4k/60fps is pretty incredible looking in itself.

I agree however that the majority of games will be 4k/30fps pushing a bit more details and obvious resolution boost to 4k. Like others have said, it is all up to the developers on what they want to target. As I said before, they need to have a good amount of new games that show the power but also a dozen or so already released Xbox One titles that will be patched to improve performance, resolution etc. No way can MS release Scorpio and only have a handful of games that show what it can do. I believe we will have a mix of new and older titles updated to show what it can do.

Lastly, there are a lot of graphic features devs can decide not to use or turn down to achieve 4k/60fps. A good example that I personally can attest too is The Witcher 3 on PC at 4k/60fps with all settings to max. I am talking the highest detail settings, the highest hairworks settings, I am talking every possible setting set to the highest the game allows. In order to get 4k/60fps rock solid it takes 2 Titan X Pascal cards to achieve that. There are so many post processing settings that make it look unreal at 4k, but devs can decide not to use certain things based on the performance hit. Scorpio will be able to do 4k/60fps, but things will need to be adjusted to do so. I also think that it will have enough muscle to not just take a Xbox One game and render it at native 4k, that they will be able to do this and perhaps turn on some settings to improve it further than just a resolution bump. We still have a long time before we know exactly the CPU, Memory configuration and weather or not they are able to go beyond the 6tf GPU.

scoobs

Why make a blanket statement like this? this is a console coming out 4 years after the Xbox One & it's only being tasked with running Xbox One games at 4 - 6X the resolution.

Some things on the hardware side held a lot of Xbox One games back so the newer hardware could be a lot more efficient & make it easier to get to the Xbox One graphical level.

Because I know how the hardware works and what its capable of? 4 x the pixel count is not a "only" thing. Its incredibly taxing on the GPU.

ironcreed

Banned
Seems pretty clear to me, but it's what I already knew. I am good with my Xbox One until mid 2018 and then I will move on up to Scorpio and bring all my games. Then I'll be more than good for another 5 years. Gravy.

onQ123

Because I know how the hardware works and what its capable of? 4 x the pixel count is not a "only" thing. Its incredibly taxing on the GPU.

You do know that Scorpio is 4.5X the raw flop power of the Xbox One right? then you add to that the advances in processor tech since 2012.

But you're still not taking into account what it's putting out at 4K. It depends entirely on the game and the features they wanna push. Different games have different requirements. Witcher 3 and Peggle don't need the same amount of power to run at 4k. Neither does Witcher 3 at Max vs Min.

Are you ready to say that Geometry Wars 3 can't run at 4k/60 on 6tf? Because if it can (it probably can) then your whole argument falls apart.

Interview is very hard to listen to. It reminds me of Lisa Simpson interviewing Mr Burns.

Also, Telltale's Batman in the background is a weird choice, and seeing it without sound really highlights how jank Telltale games are.. and how bad they are at animation.

wapplew

How the hell does this still get asked in nearly every Xbox / PlayAnywhere thread?

They're not doing this, because people would just do what they've always done with every other form factor of PC, and just install Steam on it and buy everything there. There's no point in having your console "destroy" the others if Valve is the one making all the sales on it, and Lenovo can produce the exact same thing. That's the same as just not having a console.

Because without the 3rd party software sale royalties, being in the industry would be pointless...

Didn't everyone say MS is ok as long as you buy their games regardless on PC or Xbox?
So they sell PC to us, more people have access to their store, more people will buy their games, that's not Spencer's no loophole plan? It's all about grow the ecosystem right, just sell more PC should do the trick.
They want to make a console like PC, they want to support PC gaming, why not just make a PC box and be done with it?

Didn't everyone say MS is ok as long as you buy their games regardless on PC or Xbox?
So they sell PC to us, more people have access to their store, more people will buy their games, that's not Spencer's no loophole plan? It's all about grow the ecosystem right, just sell more PC should do the trick.
They want to make a console like PC, they want to support PC gaming, why not just make a PC box and be done with it?

Key word, their games. They make money off those regardless from where you buy them. For third parties they only make money when you buy them on their platform.

wapplew

Key word, their games. They make money off those regardless from where you buy them. For third parties they only make money when you buy them on their platform.

So make a "big picture mode" as default boot screen like Xbox one and let us enable a full feature mode in the setting.
Your average console gamers who buy console for plug and play, FIFA COD, wont even notice.
Now console gamers will buy it and use it like normal Xbox, plus PC gamers might buy it for the form factor, MS sold even more boxes, win win for MS and customers, give us even more options!
Please MS, a 6TF full feature PC box with affordable price, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. Talking as a person who will never buy Xbox.

Jumeira

Banned
God damn it sounds promising. Point about dev environment was good to hear.

Forza 7 beast mode will be something and Spencer's Xbox S is a fantastic revision, same team on Scorpio has me grinning ear to ear.

Just hope they don't cock up launch by continuing with tiered regions. That was humiliating.

wapplew

God damn it sounds promising. Point about dev environment was good to hear.

Forza 7 beast mode will be something and Spencer's Xbox S is a fantastic revision, same team on Scorpio has me grinning ear to ear.

Just hope they don't cock up launch by continuing with tiered regions. That was humiliating.

The same team already worked on something better than Scorpio, it's call PC.
We don't need to imagine how games on Scorpio will look like, we have same games look even better on PC already.

4K games need new assets specifically textures. Of the few games I tried the ones that had the occasional super high res texture here and there were the most impressive. For others it was mostly about sharper fine geometric detail and cleaner image quality.
4K isn't mandated because severe comprises will have to made.

This will be a 1440p machine.

There is no reason for console devs to stick to common PC monitor resolutions. It will be a everything between 1080p to 2160p machine.

krang

So they're advertising it as a 4k console, yet developers are free to leave 4k and push other graphical options with the power instead.

That's actually very misleading with how much they've been hyping it as a 4k machine. Glad I didn't jump on the 4k bandwagon or I'd be pissed off.

Not that I have a preference for 4k over other options, but if I was to buy a 4kTV and a console expecting every game to be native 4k then I would be very disappointed.

I doubt it. You had Sony saying that PS4 was a 1080p60 machine, yet despite plenty of sub-1080p and sub-60fps games people are perfectly happy.

Top Bottom