• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD/DICE unveil Mantle, a console-like low-level PC graphics API used by Frostbite 3

kinggroin

Banned
Awesome news for GCN architecture cards. Will give me something else to consider whenever I feel the need to upgrade from my gtx 670.

Lol @ all the chicken littles

Damaniel

Banned
I've been an almost exclusive Nvidia user for the past 10 years, but I'm all for anything that gets more performance out of the same hardware. As a gamer first and foremost, my primary concern is performance. If Battlefield 4 runs (for example) 20% faster under Mantle on the same hardware versus DirectX, then why wouldn't I want it? There's no need to hold back powerful hardware on account of making Microsoft or the Khronos Group upset.

Of course, this is AMD we're talking about (even if DICE is involved). I'm gonna take Mantle with a boulder sized grain of salt until I see more from their developer's conference.

Ce-Lin

will my 7950 Boost 3GB using Mantle be on par or better than some Nvidia 780 using DirectX ? (when it comes to BF4) I was about to purchase a 780 just for that game and with these news I'm on stand-by.

MarkV

Using OpenGL would have been a downgrade from using DX11 and we wouldn't solve any of the problems that I mentioned on my slide about what challenges we have on PC. Hence Mantle is needed.

Our savior! :)
Will Mantle be a benefit for Xbox one and PS4 to speed up the developement?

Nvidia + "open"? I don't think the 2 go together. I mean look at physx, isn't the gpu-accelerated part of physx still Nvidia only? And considering how long physx been around, I doubt if nvidia were to release some new tech, that they would make it "open".

Proelite

I've been an almost exclusive Nvidia user for the past 10 years, but I'm all for anything that gets more performance out of the same hardware. As a gamer first and foremost, my primary concern is performance. If Battlefield 4 runs (for example) 20% faster under Mantle on the same hardware versus DirectX, then why wouldn't I want it? There's no need to hold back powerful hardware on account of making Microsoft or the Khronos Group upset.

Of course, this is AMD we're talking about (even if DICE is involved). I'm gonna take Mantle with a boulder sized grain of salt until I see more from their developer's conference.

Why would Microsoft be upset if AMD does work to make games perform better on Windows? This will be helpful in making Windows stay relevant for gaming in the post-SteamOS days.

Our savior! :)
Will Mantle be used for Xbox one and PS4 to speed up the developement?

Xbox and PS4 development will be way more low level than Mantle, and each will be using a different API.

Something done by one of two vendors can't be open unless it's completely open source.
Also there is an open API right now. It's called OpenGL and was here since early 90s. Anyone who's interested may learn about ARB board and all the problems surrounding OpenGL evolution to understand why something originating from one competing company won't ever be "open" no matter what they tell you.

Eh, I see it more like DX, except its maintained by AMD rather than MS. Do correct me if I'm wrong, it's been years since the API wars and I can't remember them well at all.

sangreal

How is it bad to have options? Mantle isn't replacing DirectX, it's an option... no different from selecting dx10 binary over a dx11 one.

It's only an option if the developer makes it an option, which means coding for both renderers. Games written for dx10 run on dx11 hardware without any additional work, so that is not the same at all. I doubt we'll see too much Mantle-exclusive titles, but it becomes a mess when nVidia inevitably releases their own proprietary api. Glide was also optional

zhorkat

Why would Microsoft be upset if AMD does work to make games perform better on Windows? This will be helpful in making Windows stay relevant for gaming in the post-SteamOS days.

Do we know if developers can use Mantle for Linux? Microsoft will probably care if DICE's collaboration with AMD on this combined with a collaboration with Valve leads to Battlefield 4 for SteamOS.

Perkel

Banned
Using OpenGL would have been a downgrade from using DX11 and we wouldn't solve any of the problems that I mentioned on my slide about what challenges we have on PC. Hence Mantle is needed.

Damn. Respect for you and your Team and engineers from AMD/Ati. It is planned also for other platforms like Linux ? Maybe Steam OS "winkwink"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does this mean anything for the consoles?

Yes it absolutely does. Especially if the same Mantle tech is applied to consoles which already allow for low level access. I'm not sure if this will benefit consoles as much as PC though.

Proelite

Do we know if developers can use Mantle for Linux? Microsoft will probably care if DICE's collaboration with AMD on this combined with a collaboration with Valve leads to Battlefield 4 for SteamOS.

Battlefield 4 for SteamOS is coming. That's inevitable. Mantle might help Windows match SteamOS perf wise.

FLAguy954

This needs to be added to the OP. Thanks for some insight repi.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yes it absolutely does. Especially if the same Mantle tech is applied to consoles which already allow for low level access. I'm not sure if this will benefit consoles as much as PC though.

Will it? I thought they would probably just use the low level APIs already available on the consoles and this is just to be able to bring some of that extra optimization to AMD GPUs.

Perkel

Banned

I don't think that is true. Mantle is suggested to simply cut DirectX/OpenGL bullshit where consoles don't need to do that in first place (since they have their own low level API)

mhayze

This is probably the most meaningful announcement I've seen from AMD to combat nVidia... on the PC side (including Linux/SteamOS). On the consoles, all it means is that developers have an option (I presume) to build their cross-platform titles on a relatively low-level API that's still cross-platform. Big deal. I would be astonished if a platform-dedicated title (like a first party title) writing to the platform-specific API on either PS4 or Xbox One couldn't do better than this API, especially as time goes on.

On the PC, however, this has the potential of being better than DX11 / OGL AND supporting Linux/SteamOS (and OSX?) with a low level API. The big question mark is performance, not just on the new GPUs, but on APUs and older chips.

As a HD7970 owner and a Battlefield fan, I can't help but be super curious of how this works out in BF4 and at the same time I'm nervous about the possibility of competing proprietary APIs.

syko de4d

We've been told at the GPU14 Tech Day event that the Mantle API is open, so theoretically Nvidia could purpose the technology in their GPUs.

So the API is open. How high is the chance Nvidia will use it? How high is the chance that in some years every game on PC on any OS is using Mantle?

KKRT00

Its the other way around, anything coded on consoles for low level access on GCN GPUs will benefit Mantle. Also all custom GCN functions used in consoles ports will benefit Mantle.

Mantle though wont benefit consoles at all.

===
So the API is open. How high is the chance Nvidia will use it? How high is the chance that in some years every game on PC on any OS is using Mantle?
Better be near 100% chance of Nvidia using Mantle.
Very low chance of changing OS though.

====
Will be interesting to see reaction of Crytek to this, they've been calling for low-level access or even extended DX fuctions for years.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

So, I guess this means no "Steambox" support from DICE, then? No Linux/OpenGL support and Mantle more than likely won't be ported to Linux.

kinggroin

Banned
Will it? I thought they would probably just use the low level APIs already available on the consoles and this is just to be able to bring some of that extra optimization to AMD GPUs.

Yeah, not sure I agree with liquid either

Consoles already don't have DX to contend with. This seems more like bringing the same level optimization consoles enjoy, to the PC. Hope nVIDIA takes advantage too.

Perkel

Banned

I hope it happen. DirectX is reason why there is no proper gaming on Linux or other PC platforms. With proper advanced low level API which could support multiple platforms things sure would change a lot.

TheD

The Detective

If it is a low level API built around the architecture of GCN, the answer is 0% (not unless in a few years time we want an API built around on old graphics architecture holding back newer cards).

I don't see EA joining Valve with the SteamOS charge early on. Linux Origin will only exist if there is an existing consumer base.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I don't think that is true. Mantle is suggested to simply cut DirectX/OpenGL bullshit where consoles don't need to do that in first place (since they have their own low level API)

Here I was hoping for some BF4 console upgrades down the line.

Its the other way around, anything coded on consoles for low level access on GCN GPUs will benefit Mantle. Also all custom GCN functions used in consoles ports will benefit Mantle.

Mantle though wont benefit consoles at all.

===

Better be near 100% chance of Nvidia using Mantle.
Very low chance of changing OS though.

====
Will be interesting to see reaction of Crytek to this, they've been calling for low-level access or even extended DX fuctions for years.
Thanks for the responses. I'm not a true expert on this but I'm definitely excited to see what comes of it. I do see this as a big thing for PC though but can only hope consoles see extra games which use Mantle.

Perkel

Banned
This is probably the most meaningful announcement I've seen from AMD to combat nVidia... on the PC side (including Linux/SteamOS). On the consoles, all it means is that developers have an option (I presume) to build their cross-platform titles on a relatively low-level API that's still cross-platform. Big deal. I would be astonished if a platform-dedicated title (like a first party title) writing to the platform-specific API on either PS4 or Xbox One couldn't do better than this API, especially as time goes on.

On the PC, however, this has the potential of being better than DX11 / OGL AND supporting Linux/SteamOS (and OSX?) with a low level API. The big question mark is performance, not just on the new GPUs, but on APUs and older chips.

Point of new API is to be better than DirectX or OpenGL. To get most of GPU/CPU. They wouldn't be creating new API over 10% upgrade in performance.

SteamOS thread crosspost

Truthfacts:

• SteamOS boots in under 25 seconds on HDD, <10 on SSD.
  • Is bootable from any USB drive (LiveUSB)
  • Steam application(s) on selected platforms will receive a "(Re)boot to SteamOS"- and "Launch [Game] in SteamOS"-option.
  • "Remote wake" SteamOS slaves aka St(r)eambox ("Launch [Game] in [Living Room]").
  • SteamOS can be "embedded" within games and applications, letting 'em run in some sort of Sandbox environment. New HL/S2 project, 'nuff said. Also think dedicated servers.
  • SteamOS will cut driver overhead and especially input-lag in half.
  • Source 2 SDK tools may stay Linux/SteamOS only. Comes (optionally) with a "complete" open source dev package to create "proper" games with (coding IDE, debugger, 3D- and 2D- packages, you name it).
  • SOS users will receive special promotion offerings, especially at launch.
  • Lots of software developers and hardware vendors were contracted to ensure proper Linux/SteamOS support. Software devs may get special deals (like a reduced Valve cut) when launching Day One on SteamOS.
  • "Best platform to run Oculus Rift" on.
  • SOS has its own (shitty) window manager.
  • Steam will stream to other devices, at some point. Android first.
  • Supports standardized HID USB- and Bluetooth-devices at Launch (PS3 controller, Wiimote, you name it). No Xbox One/360 controller support (proprietary).
  • Free to license for any hardware vendor. Valve's pushing OEMs since CES2012 to install SteamOS on every new computer shipped.
  • Pigs fly.

You're welcome.

(not directly related to Mantle, though)

zhorkat

I hope it happen. DirectX is reason why there is no proper gaming on Linux or other PC platforms. With proper advanced low level API which could support multiple platforms things sure would change a lot.

It supports multiple platforms so long as you use an AMD GPU that uses their current GCN architecture.

Perkel

Banned
If it really is low level it will be chip specific or at least family specific.

But this also means that you will eventually lose BC down the line too.

It really depends what they mean by low level. It doesn't need to go completely to metal as illustrated on slides.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is awesome news. AMD is creating brand new low level efficient API that will take full advantage from ther CPU/GPU hardware, enabling developers to finally stop using very inefficient Direct X. Hopefully developers will embrace this API when porting their console games [that already run with ultra fast and efficient APIs ] to PC.

290X will be around Titan using DX11 [for way less money], but with Mantle, I expect that it will be much more efficient with very noticeable increase in rendering speed.

Axonometri

Is AMD intending to use this as a multi-platform API? I am not understanding fully what the intentions are for Mantle just yet. I keep reading various different aspects. Would this be open to everything from SteamOS to new consoles? If they pushed that, it could be huge step in a different direction.

dracula_x

It just proves that DirectX can be very high overhead in certain situations.

Far too many folks believe DirectX is some magical, super efficient API, when it isn't. Note that DICE is using this INSTEAD of DirectX 11 on AMD GCN GPU's.
Exactly. It's a bottleneck.

Perkel

Banned
It supports multiple platforms so long as you use an AMD GPU that uses their current GCN architecture.

You are suggesting that Mantle is exclusive which is not (rumored) also Mantle is an OPTION. It doesn't mean there won't be DirectX version of every game.

Back in Glide days most of games had in options three choices :

DirectX
OpenGL
Glide.

Most of the time Glide smoked everything else out of water if you had Voodoo. I don't see any problem going back to this. People who will choose GCN GPU they will have option to enjoy their games with better performance meanwhile people who have other GPUs they will just play via directX like they used to.

Top Bottom