• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have all my preorders through BB but I get nervous with all the stories and I get dismayed with the street dates. I picked up Luigi 3 days ago. BB is releasing 2 weeks later?! how does it make sense. It is even worse when you know they have them in store because they accidentally put them out or an employee tells you.

I cant let hard to find figures get sold out in other stores and only have a preorder promise which hasnt meant much as of late. Hence I am doubled and tripled up on all Wave 2 so far.

Yeah I'm doing the same and I'm just missing Pit now (along with Marth but i don't really want him anyway). I'm cancelling extra orders after I secure others. I've now had Pit ordered at Gamestop (cancelled on myself accidentally like an idiot), TrU ("cancelled" by them), and Best Buy (still on order but not releasing until the 30th apparently).

One way or another I just want Pit and then to be done with these things until the next wave.

D-Stubbs

So both Targets in my town are sold out of Falcon but another Target in a small town 30 minutes away have them. My GF was kind enough to call and put one on hold for me to pick up tomorrow. Looks like a morning road trip!

So I replied to a post on CAG with this. Does anyone else feel like this or am I losing it? Seriously it wont hurt my feelings. These things are driving me Nucking Futs!

Them
Guys, your TRU preorders getting cancelled aren't actually being cancelled. There was some kind of glitch with their system that seems to have cancelled all preorders, or at least all game figure preorders. TRU said earlier they are going to send an email to everyone about it.

Me
That is good for some but that puts me over the top if true. After the cancelled email. I was able to order again online when they were relisted (so that would be 2). Not trusting their online site, I went in store and purchased 2 of the preorder cards (that would be 4). Come home and they are selling him on their eBay site, at this point I don't trust anything they have offered and like a sucker paid 19.47 (their stupid more than MSRP, tax, and ship) for Lucario (that put me up to 5).

I am aware this is my doing. If I wanted to make a stand I should have just left it but I want one of these to complete my set. I really only want one but I want it guaranteed. So this is what they have contributed to. I may have 5 of these things coming? Hell their attempt to limit customers made me go from 1 preorder to possibly 5 coming to me through 3 different means. If the preorder/reservation system worked like it use to this would not be an issue. I know I am bitching but their are some weird circumstances that got me into this position.

At a minimum I want to leave them negative feedback on eBay when they miss that Dec 30 delivery date. It is petty but they have caused me some considerable time and even some stress. All over a god damn toy. Retailer exclusives blow when the retailer is unreliable. /rant

Edit: Also why has it taken a day to send a simple email explanation? Whatever the communication will say...

In that time they have relisted the Lucario on their own site and on their eBay site. They have made semi-statements on Facebook that they are going to make a statement. As a business school student or just a person with common sense, this whole thing is all wrong.

Ursn

There's a lot of lucario preorder cards at the tru I just passed by. Didn't they get cancelled?

Edit: sorry I should read but they had a whole stack.

Went to my local TRU today, the guy there said that the release dates for these are all over the damn place and it's starting to piss them off.

He said that Nintendo is going to start releasing each of the new waves in sets of 6. That's what he said their pre-order cards are for, sets of 6. However, they've delayed and moved around figure release dates for Series 2 so they haven't even been sent the reservation cards yet. A second guy came up and said they had one case of Series 2 in the back but it was ONLY Luigis. He told me that they're HOPING that the others will arrive Sunday morning. But the other guy added that some of them used to be Dec 14th, then the 19th, then the 21st, then the 31st, then Jan 9th, so until Nintendo gets their shit straight with release dates for all 6 figures of Series 2 and sends out the reservation slips, they have no idea when they'll actually be able to sell them.

This is fucking ridiculous. I've been collecting toys for the better part of 30 years and I've NEVER experienced such a disorganized release.

MrDaravon

Was at a bunch of retailers tonight, saw nothing from Wave 2 except 3 Zeldas at a Gamestop. My local Walmart is still sitting on the handful of Mario/DK/Peach/Kirby amiibos they've had since day one, I have never seen any others there, or even pegs for them. Everywhere else I was at was just about completely cleared out period.

Shroudent

Dec 19 - 11:25 PM EST Target : Rosalina Preorder for $12.99

That just updated on nowinstock, but target.com still showing her as unavailable :(

ScouserPants

Neo Member
So both Targets in my town are sold out of Falcon but another Target in a small town 30 minutes away have them. My GF was kind enough to call and put one on hold for me to pick up tomorrow. Looks like a morning road trip!

--Darn right I did! Now I don't have to drive to get it!

Went to my local TRU today, the guy there said that the release dates for these are all over the damn place and it's starting to piss them off.

He said that Nintendo is going to start releasing each of the new waves in sets of 6. That's what he said their pre-order cards are for, sets of 6. However, they've delayed and moved around figure release dates for Series 2 so they haven't even been sent the reservation cards yet. A second guy came up and said they had one case of Series 2 in the back but it was ONLY Luigis. He told me that they're HOPING that the others will arrive Sunday morning. But the other guy added that some of them used to be Dec 14th, then the 19th, then the 21st, then the 31st, then Jan 9th, so until Nintendo gets their shit straight with release dates for all 6 figures of Series 2 and sends out the reservation slips, they have no idea when they'll actually be able to sell them.

This is fucking ridiculous. I've been collecting toys for the better part of 30 years and I've NEVER experienced such a disorganized release.

I think a lot of the issues right now with stores not getting shipments has everything to do with the port strikes...I've said it before...but I'm near 100% sure that's why. The scarcity of specific figures (marth, villager, etc) have to do with Nintendo though selectively limiting specific figures... Things will be better I think when the strike situation is all resolved...

Dec 19 - 11:25 PM EST Target : Rosalina Preorder for $12.99

That just updated on nowinstock, but target.com still showing her as unavailable :(
I get "There was a error processing the request. Kindly retry." when trying to add to cart. I swear they're adding new messages every time I try to get her. I feel like the next one will probably be "lol yeah right. Try harder!"

Didnt they already officially say they aren't selling her online any more? Which probably means they will anyway with the way things are going.

My daughter cam back from Target and they had a ton of Luigi's there. King of Prussia, PA if in that area.

So far from waking this morning to preorders being canceled, I was able to add Diddy, Mac, and Weegee to my collection. Certainly turned my frown upside down.

jv3PF19s9RVWz.jpg

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Amazon finally sent me my Diddy and Little Mac preorders. I already found them at local stores though so if anyone wants to buy them off me PM me, $13 + shipping. US only.

The one thing is I'm out of town for Xmas and won't be able to ship it until the week of the 29th. Just think of it as peace of mind:)

Does anyone live in the NYC area? Wondering if the Nintendo World Store has any Pit Amiibos in stock.

I went around 7 PM, They still have a few left. They have most of Wave 2 Except for Captain Falcon. The employee told me Captain Falcon might come next week.

Edit: Time square Toy R Us all out of Wave 2. They even sold out of the lucario pre order card.

jnWake

I'm interested in a few Amiibos but reading this thread makes me glad I'm not obsessed about getting the whole collection.

You guys should relax a bit. It seems like all this hunting is very frustrating and probably not worth it :p

I hope I can get a R.O.B. Amiibo when it launches though. I want to teach it to troll people with Gyro+Laser.

My Zelda/Diddy/Little Mac all shipped from Best Buy yesterday/today, so I should have them all by Tuesday I'm guessing?

I also found a Luigi tonight at Toys R Us, so I snagged it even though I have on on preorder from Best Buy as well... better to be safe than sorry.

Now to just wait for Captain Falcon/Pit to ship... ugh this will be stressful.

MrMephistoX

Damnit I am really debating returning Fox and Luigi or just keeping them... I fucking imported Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac from Japan and got Captain Falcon and Lucario on eBay. I've preordered Mega Man and Toon Link and still want to buy Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Luna, Kirby and Peach. I'm a married man with a kid and student loans help!

I told myself just get little Mac for your desk and leave it...

melman101

Damnit I am really debating returning Fox and Luigi or just keeping them... I fucking imported Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac from Japan and got Captain Falcon and Lucario on eBay. I've preordered Mega Man and Toon Link and still want to buy Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Luna, Kirby and Peach. I'm a married man with a kid and student loans help!

Hahaha! Don't feel bad. I have a wife, an 11-month old daughter, and I live in an apartment where I absolutely can't stand the people upstairs (they are very loud), so I am saving to buy a house. However, this Amiibo craze has definitely bit me, so I've been doing some side work to help pay for things, LOL :)

Christopher

Just do it, you live once. These characters were in your life growing up just display em

Balb

I don't know why everyone is so certain there will be a reprint...nothing Nintendo has been saying or doing would suggest it...

I disagree. They've been wishy washy about the whole thing in their press statements and they've even restocked them at the NWS once already. If they definitely weren't going to reprint them they would have said so.

Agreed. Miyamoto is talking about amiibo cards to replace discontinued figures, for those that don't know.

Exactly...they've suggested far more often than not from the VERY beginning that once certain figures sell through, that's it...they haven't really changed their position much at all, other than saying its a possibility SOME may be reprinted. I would love them to reprint everything...but I really don't think it's going to happen...

ScouserPants

Neo Member

That's how it always begins. I'll just get one..... 9 preorders later.....

Jawmuncher

I'm going to hold hope. I think they'll be restocking some. They know there's more money in the figures than fucking cards.

Only way cards could even be a money maker would be if they were boosters or something.

Secured my Diddy Kong and Little Mac, finally.

While i was waiting for the bby dude grab my pre order from the back, i saw some greasy dude pick the diddy kong's clean.

All my best buy had from wave 3 were a bunch of Zelda's, 5 Diddy Kong's and the only Little Mac they got in their case, which is now mine.

The in store pre order kiosk wouldn't let me pre order Captain Falcon. I'm not sure if that's a placeholder date or not, but it matches the release date on the bby website, so i'll be back for him.

I'm going to hold hope. I think they'll be restocking some. They know there's more money in the figures than fucking cards.

Only way cards could even be a money maker would be if they were boosters or something.

I would agree...but what's causing the craze for the amiibos right now IS the scarcity. You start reprinting everything and I guarantee you the craze dies down. Does anyone really think Wii Fit Trainer would be so sought after if she was constantly on the shelves?

vazel

Banned
The way I think Nintendo is doing amiibos is after these Smash amiibos are done they will immediately move to another game(Splatoon? Starfox?). There won't be enough shelf space for reprints of discontinued amiibos.

Christopher

Secured my Diddy Kong and Little Mac, finally.

While i was waiting for the bby dude grab my pre order from the back, i saw some greasy dude pick the diddy kong's clean.

All my best buy had from wave 3 were a bunch of Zelda's, 5 Diddy Kong's and the only Little Mac they got in their case, which is now mine.

The in store pre order kiosk wouldn't let me pre order Captain Falcon. I'm not sure if that's a placeholder date or not, but it matches the release date on the bby website, so i'll be back for him.

The dude who picked up the luigis here was disgusting looking as well

The way I think Nintendo is doing amiibos is after these Smash amiibos are done they will immediately move to another game(Splatoon? Starfox?). There won't be enough shelf space for reprints of discontinued amiibos.

And this...it's not like retailers are giving them Skylanders or Infinity space on their shelves...

kirby_fox

Banned

They'll start getting replaced with the cards for half price, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom