• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I would agree...but what's causing the craze for the amiibos right now IS the scarcity. You start reprinting everything and I guarantee you the craze dies down. Does anyone really think Wii Fit Trainer would be so sought after if she was constantly on the shelves?

True WFT is the oddest of the a bunch. Villager and marth on the other hand I could see coming back.

The way I think Nintendo is doing amiibos is after these Smash amiibos are done they will immediately move to another game(Splatoon? Starfox?). There won't be enough shelf space for reprints of discontinued amiibos.

The thing is not all games are going to have huge sets like smash. Think they decided on smash because it covers alot of their stuff. Wouldn't be surprised if stuff like splatoon was just one amiibo maybe 2. Mario party is definitely the next one to see a lot of figures for i.

Ludist210

Apparently Target said that Rosalina & Luma pre-orders are sold out to Amiibo Inquirer. Thanks for that, Target... I'm glad that I decided to import her.

The dude who picked up the luigis here was disgusting looking as well

i considered grabbing another diddy kong for...whatever reason.

went to grab gas and then left my car to use the station's bathroom. i closed the door with 7 amigos in my front seat. opened the door to the bathroom. looked in the mirror

the greasy man. i had become him.

CH4OS

Managed to put diddy back at target. Slippery slope avoided.

Well I slipped. Said I was never going to buy Diddy and Luigi, but now those idiots are sitting on my shelf :/

At least I found falcon too, who's awesomeness overpowers their lameness.

Salamando

And this...it's not like retailers are giving them Skylanders or Infinity space on their shelves...

Maybe this is all part of their plan. Scarcity drums up consumer demand, stores see these things selling faster than they can get them on shelves, are encouraged to give them more space for cheaper.

graydient

Neo Member
I don't trust my TRU preorder so I bought a Captain at Target, and a spare one would be nice to have anyways. This is the second time Target held one for me by phone call (the first being Diddy Kong). The guy that was checking it out for me told me 4 came in, and he had bought 1, mine was the last. Supposedly Pit might come in tomorrow.

olimpia84

So far my Best Buy has been a champ with my preorders. No issues at all and all the figures look good, it's almost as if the guy placing the in-store pickup orders chooses the best ones for me lol.

Anyways, I just need C. Falcon, Pit and Luigi from this wave and two of them are preordered.

RkOwnage

So far my Best Buy has been a champ with my preorders. No issues at all and all the figures look good, it's almost as if the guy placing the in-store pickup orders chooses the best ones for me lol.

Anyways, I just need C. Falcon, Pit and Luigi from this wave and two of them are preordered.

I envy you, I work for the damn company and they screwed up my preorders. Didn't set aside any for preorders and just placed them on sale.

Sad.

Christopher

I still can't believe I managed to smuggle Pitt todsy from GameStop and it shipped today too! Crazy, so don't lose faith and please don't oay these people who are jacking up the prices.

Gusto

Just like TRU is doing with Luccario and Best Buy with Meta Knight? I doubt they will have "plenty" by any means.

It's in the stores best interest to sell the figures in store over online. I've been thinking bout it, why would s store sell these figures online? If they sell them on the shelve you have to go to the store and will more then likely pick up other necessities.

I feel that they are all going to just sell them In store, it only makes more business sense and cents $$$. All I know is that I'll frequent Toys R Us, Target and Best Buy more often just to see if I can score one or two.

i-Jest

If you lived in Canada you'd be laughed at by even the employee's for saying that..

I'm not trusting them I got her and Lucario from Amazon.fr

I'm only chancing it by waiting for Canadian retailers because I hate to deal with UPS. That and I don't have the spare funds to tolerate them atm. Luckily I have a Target somewhat close to me (15-20 minute bus ride). I hope I can secure myself one when available. I'm a little less worried about Lucario. If I can get a preorder in online before they dry up then I'm safe (maybe). If luck is on my side and I'm not busy with work, or whatever else, when these things appear then I think I'm good.

MK_768

It's in the stores best interest to sell the figures in store over online. I've been thinking bout it, why would s store sell these figures online? If they sell them on the shelve you have to go to the store and will more then likely pick up other necessities.

I feel that they are all going to just sell them In store, it only makes more business sense and cents $$$. All I know is that I'll frequent Toys R Us, Target and Best Buy more often just to see if I can score one or two.

Agreed

It's pretty discouraging to pop in here and see that the Nintendo World Store has Pit and Luigi for sale. I was there last week and one of the staff said just pre-order them for us and we will call you when they are available. I did that and figured I could hang back and not have to keep tabs on their Twitter account to see when the new stuff arrives. Not only did I not get a call they didn't do their twitter update..for these they did a instagram update.

If it's gonna be like this for the next 30 figures I might just bow out of this hunt.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Only retailer exclusive I'm super worried about is Shulk. I have one preordered but I don't trust GameStop.

Gamestop's probably the most reliable. They'll have enough for pre-orders I'm sure.

Someone was mentioning before that it's up to the retailer to order more of the exclusive, and based on Skylanders/Infinity figures, Target tends to only get one shipment, as opposed to TRU and Best Buy. It's conjecture, but take it as you will.

It's pretty discouraging to pop in here and see that the Nintendo World Store has Pit and Luigi for sale. I was there last week and one of the staff said just pre-order them for us and we will call you when they are available. I did that and figured I could hang back and not have to keep tabs on their Twitter account to see when the new stuff arrives. Not only did I not get a call they didn't do their twitter update..for these they did a instagram update.

If it's gonna be like this for the next 30 figures I might just bow out of this hunt.

Amiibo has already shortened my lifespan by 6-7 years, easy.

Horohoro

I can't imagine why a store like TRU would cancel already sure fire orders especially on there exclusive unless it was stock constraints I can see any company throwing that money away and then opening it again for orders thats a serious breach of customer confidence and tends to sway customers from ordering or buying from them again I think its pretty irrational to think they will get a large stock when they have already stated numerous times that there were very little for the website and I doubt there will be many for the stores either. Its not like Nintendo to not constrain supplies on products people want and Nintendo has already said many times these will be rare I still can't find a Captain falcon in any store although i know this morning Gamestop and 4 targets had them I doubt Nintendo will ship more either.

Amiibo has already shortened my lifespan by 6-7 years, easy.

It's pretty gross the way these things are trickling out and the lack of available stock.
We collect Disney Infinity as well and can walk into any Toys R Us and still buy 1.0 figures, power discs and playsets. That's a year plus since those things came out.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Has anyone seen the nosiness going on over at Ebay?! Lucario pre-orders are going for 50 bucks even those 1 dollar card things. And Rosalina 65 to 70 Bucks. Ike is at 30. To top all off pple are paying those prices!!!! The hell is going on!!!!?

Jobbs

Banned
It's pretty gross the way these things are trickling out and the lack of available stock.
We collect Disney Infinity as well and can walk into any Toys R Us and still buy 1.0 figures, power discs and playsets. That's a year plus since those things came out.

I believe the amiibo shortage to probably be calculated to make there some energy and excitement around amiibo.

imagine if there was no shortage and every amiibo was easy to buy for $13 and everyone just bought whichever one they wanted...

considering the amiibo don't really *do* anything (even the implementation in smash is ridiculously underbaked) I tink they'd quickly be forgotten. The fact that there's a big amiibo hunt on has kept them relevant.

i-Jest

Has anyone seen the nosiness going on over at Ebay?! Lucario pre-orders are going for 50 bucks even those 1 dollar card things. And Rosalina 65 to 70 Bucks. Ike is at 30. To top all off pple are paying those prices!!!! The hell is going on!!!!?

Scalpers taking advantage of Amiibo thirst.

Horohoro

So I'm still considering staying up till 4am to see if I find a rosalina or a captain falcon for order on target.com... :/ is that sad? (That I have to do that if I want one I mean...)

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Scalpers taking advantage of Amiibo thirst.

Just seeing eBay blow up like is sad. I see this trend going on for a very very long time. I just wish people were more informed about importing.

1. To screw over scalpers
2. Save them money
3. To get the amiibo they want and love it the same way I love mine! (I know live is a strong word here but dam I love playing with these little guys and gals)

Velcro Fly

I know it means nothing but TRU has charged me for the Lucario preorder. Just weird seeing an actual debit since I'm used to BB just verifying payment and not actually taking the money.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
So I'm still considering staying up till 4am to see if I find a rosalina or a captain falcon for order on target.com... :/ is that sad? (That I have to do that if I want one I mean...)

Plz just look at Amazon.fr. They have them. For the both of them you looking at 40 dollars. Just for that little extra you save yourself a lot of effort! I saw posters stating that they drove around for 6 hours just looking for 1 Cpt. Falcon! 1!!!! That is nuts!!! Just spend that little extra! Please!!

Christopher

I know it means nothing but TRU has charged me for the Lucario preorder. Just weird seeing an actual debit since I'm used to BB just verifying payment and not actually taking the money.

I have the ebay ones ordered in their ebay site changed me already captain falcon and lucario.

CH4OS

So I replied to a post on CAG with this. Does anyone else feel like this or am I losing it? Seriously it wont hurt my feelings. These things are driving me Nucking Futs!

Them

Me

Edit: Also why has it taken a day to send a simple email explanation? Whatever the communication will say...

In that time they have relisted the Lucario on their own site and on their eBay site. They have made semi-statements on Facebook that they are going to make a statement. As a business school student or just a person with common sense, this whole thing is all wrong.

I'm with you in this path to crazy. After I lost all of my preorders for wave 3 I was dumbfounded and full of rage. I wrote so many angry emails to everyone responsible. I also woke up the next day and remembered I Rage Ordered all of wave 3 from Walmart AND Gamestop. 😳

I think I need to see a Dr. (Mario)

Toad.T

Banned
I dunno if I should be glad or worried that Canada hasn't fully gotten Wave 2B like the rest of the US supposedly has. On one hand, I can prepare for when they arrive financially, but on the other hand, it's a bitch trying to get any specific answers related to Amiibo in this country.

I've collected toys for a very long time now. If this was any other company, I would feel confident that eventually I'll get everyone I wanted. Hasbro tracks data, adds harder to find figures in later shipments and takes care of it. People were looking for the Marvel Legends Black Widow figure from the Winter Soldier line from spring and it was a pretty common figure by late summer. They started shipping cases of Stormtroopers in their Star Wars 6" Black Series line where I was able to army build with ease and never seen one clog store shelves because they were able to ship the right amount.

Even Activision did a similar thing by issuing a statement apologizing to parents about the shortage of the first generation of Skylanders and then shipping more to stores, doubling production and continuing to ship them well into generation two, Giants. That wind Dragon from the first game was going for up to $80 on eBay as a Target exclusive but that exclusivity ran out and was eventually shipped to all retailers.

Now Nintendo, heh...they don't care if you can't get a damn copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy during the Wii's heyday and most recently Pikmin 3. "Don't have it? Oh well, you had your chance and we hate money apparently". I can't see these guys re-releasing Marth and Villager which I am grateful to have by my keyboard as I type this semi-rant. God knows who else is going to go away forever.

Then this bullshit talk form Miyamoto that some of these characters may return as cards? CARDS? FUCK CARDS. People want a goddamn Villager on their desk because that's either their main in Smash or because like me, you've played Animal Crossing since the Gamecube and like that franchise.

They need to get their shit together so these retail chains can get their shit together and stop canceling orders and we can all kill the secondary market together by spending our hard earned cash on items of a reasonable cost.

Horohoro

Plz just look at Amazon.fr. They have them. For the both of them you looking at 40 dollars. Just for that little extra you save yourself a lot of effort! I saw posters stating that they drove around for 6 hours just looking for 1 Cpt. Falcon! 1!!!! That is nuts!!! Just spend that little extra! Please!!

My issue here is the numbering on the packaging... if I had started collecting them with the numbers I wouldn't care but now... I care.... and it bugs me... I don't know why but it does... I intend to keep mine boxed for awhile... I'll open them eventually... but for awhile I want to keep them boxed got a nice display in mind :).

Jawmuncher

I've collected toys for a very long time now. If this was any other company, I would feel confident that eventually I'll get everyone I wanted. Hasbro tracks data, adds harder to find figures in later shipments and takes care of it. People were looking for the Marvel Legends Black Widow figure from the Winter Soldier line from spring and it was a pretty common figure by late summer. They started shipping cases of Stormtroopers in their Star Wars 6" Black Series line where I was able to army build with ease and never seen one clog store shelves because they were able to ship the right amount.

Even Activision did a similar thing by issuing a statement apologizing to parents about the shortage of the first generation of Skylanders and then shipping more to stores, doubling production and continuing to ship them well into generation two, Giants. That wind Dragon from the first game was going for up to $80 on eBay as a Target exclusive but that exclusivity ran out and was eventually shipped to all retailers.

Now Nintendo, heh...they don't care if you can't get a damn copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy during the Wii's heyday and most recently Pikmin 3. "Don't have it? Oh well, you had your chance and we hate money apparently". I can't see these guys re-releasing Marth and Villager which I am grateful to have by my keyboard as I type this semi-rant. God knows who else is going to go away forever.

Then this bullshit talk form Miyamoto that some of these characters may return as cards? CARDS? FUCK CARDS. People want a goddamn Villager on their desk because that's either their main in Smash or because like me, you've played Animal Crossing since the Gamecube and like that franchise.

They need to get their shit together so these retail chains can get their shit together and stop canceling orders and we can all kill the secondary market together by spending our hard earned cash on items of a reasonable cost.

The best post I've read in awhile .
Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom