• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

Jamix012

The WiiU may have more very great games but the Vita has way more great games and variety.

The library aren't in the same league in my opinion, almost all genres are covered with great games on Vita.

I'd actually..say the opposite.

There's not a Wii U game I'd rate as high as P4G, Zero Escape: VLR, DR2 or Gravity Rush but...
The sheer bredth and width of Nintendo's lineup more than makes up for it IMO.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Best handheld ever with the most incompetent support ever.
I've bought three of the little things and love it to pieces.
The thing is the support wasn't incompetent games wise. Sony killed it with their first party lineup when they supported it. It makes the PS4 look like a joke. But they didn't sell and Sony just gave up.

xJavonta

Banned
Stay salty. ;)

To each their own of course. ^.^
Salty about the lack of support and the short lifespan, yes.

Look, I'm not saying it's a bad handheld. It's powerful and has a LOT of potential, it's just that we rarely saw that potential because Sony didn't bother. Anyone that says otherwise is honestly doing themselves a disservice. Nintendo handled a LOT of the 3DS stuff poorly (anything internet related being their number one problem), but they didn't treat it like didn't matter. Sony did.

Dynomutt

This is kind of good as it brings things to closure. All the talk of a successor was just financially unrealistic could cripple sony. PS4 is doing well and they should really move to support that and strengthen it's position. The Vita actually was a great handheld but with Nintendo, mobile, and teh tough time catching on it was too late. It can still play an ancillary role quite well and be a home for indies and classics. The form factor and control are what I will miss the most. Maybe release a full fledged Vita app for iOS and Android?

spannicus

Shame we'll never see that Killzone engine used again on the Vita smh. I hope Resident Evil Rev 2 is still coming, probably will be the last of its kind unless it sells gangbusters.

I don't miss Sony's support one bit. Aside from Gravity Rush I've found all of their efforts on the platform to be rather middling. Wasted potential all around but luckily there's still some Japanese devs holding it down.

UberTag

Hr literally just said it's dead, did not see that coming lol.
It's a good way to get fans to stop pestering them about it.

SCEA PR: "The Vita. Yeah, that system's as dead as the Sega Saturn. Why are you asking us about it? Go to a museum if you want to game on a relic. So stop asking us about more ports or a Gravity Rush sequel or Resident Evil Revelations 2 or bigger memory cards... we're sick of it. You should move to Japan if you like gaming on a little screen. Or better yet... buy a smartphone so your friends don't think you're some kind of freak."

If anything, I see the foothold Sony has in gaming as a whole severely contracting in Japan without further investment in the handheld market. The Vita will outsell the PS4 in its lifetime over there in spite of everything. That's not healthy.

IvorB

Well it's good to get confirmation that Sony can't be trusted to support their own platforms when the going gets a bit tough. This will definitely factor into my buying decision going forward.

SubtleTea

I'd actually..say the opposite.

There's not a Wii U game I'd rate as high as P4G, Zero Escape: VLR, DR2 or Gravity Rush but...
The sheer bredth and width of Nintendo's lineup more than makes up for it IMO.

I also think the vita has a better library than the wii u but something interesting is the lack of games really exclusive to it, of the games you listed the only *real* exclusive is Gravity Rush, Persona 4 has a perfectly playable version on ps2/ps3/emulators on pc, Virtue's Last Reward is also on 3ds, Daganronpa 2 also on psp/emulators on pc.

I will be one with my Vita until its dying breath.

Least now I know not to expect any other support or features on the Vita now.

Circinus

Salty about the lack of support and the short lifespan, yes.

Look, I'm not saying it's a bad handheld. It's powerful and has a LOT of potential, it's just that we rarely saw that potential because Sony didn't bother. Anyone that says otherwise is honestly doing themselves a disservice. Nintendo handled a LOT of the 3DS stuff poorly (anything internet related being their number one problem), but they didn't treat it like didn't matter. Sony did.

SCE treated the PS Vita very well in terms of support. So, yes I'd say they bothered a lot.

SCE WWS's output was amazing in 2012, 2013 for PS Vita:

- Tearaway
- Gravity Rush
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Super Stardust Delta
- LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
- Killzone Mercenary
- Soul Sacrifice Delta
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- PS All-Stars Battle Royale
- Wipeout 2048
- MotorStorm RC
- Everybody Golf/Hot Shots Golf
- Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
- Sly Cooper Trilogy
- Unit 13
- Sound Shapes

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Isn't this what you get from farming out all your properties to crappy devs?

"Oh, it's fine, let the interns do it. It's only Vita."

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This is kind of good as it brings things to closure. All the talk of a successor was just financially unrealistic could cripple sony. PS4 is doing well and they should really move to support that and strengthen it's position. The Vita actually was a great handheld but with Nintendo, mobile, and teh tough time catching on it was too late. It can still play an ancillary role quite well and be a home for indies and classics. The form factor and control are what I will miss the most. Maybe release a full fledged Vita app for iOS and Android?
What I'd like to see Sony do is a smartphone Vita hybrid. An Xperia Play like device with an Android OS and the Vita OS.The best of Vita combined with mobile in one device.

Circinus

I don't miss Sony's support one bit. Aside from Gravity Rush I've found all of their efforts on the platform to be rather middling. Wasted potential all around but luckily there's still some Japanese devs holding it down.

Other way around for me. I like most of the SCE output, but I have completely no interest in all the anime-style games (yes, even Persona 4: Golden).

Except, most of the first-party games were great on PS Vita.

Look at Killzone, haven't played Shadow Fall, but reception was way better for Mercenary than for Shadow Fall. WipEout as well, PlayStationGAF seems to constantly crave for WipEout, but PS Vita has one and seems to be ignored for some reason.

You have a point for how SCEA treated Nihilistic (developers of Resistance: Burning Skies and CoD Blops Declassified) with an insanely short development cycle that they imposed, but outside of that SCE WWS did well on PS Vita in terms of quality of games.

18-Volt

I'm taking this as "More focus on PS4" so that makes it hurt less. But Vita was/is a solid handheld.

But I'm taking this as "More focus on Morpheus" and that causes it hurt even more.

Gaming dedicated handhelds slowly on their way out.

That's because traditional games and "gamers" are also on their way out. I'm hoping for some "hero" to save us and games to appear. I'm pretty sure VR isn't the one.

CREMSteve

The Vita is a fantastic portable PSN party device. Pop the standard earbud in there and chat away while you game on your PSTV. Perfect companion device for me, I love mine.

xJavonta

Banned
SCE treated the PS Vita very well in terms of support. So, yes I'd say they bothered a lot.

- Super Stardust Delta
- Killzone Mercenary
- Soul Sacrifice Delta
- Wipeout 2048
- MotorStorm RC
- Unit 13
- Sound Shapes
Cut out some that I know aren't exclusives, and majority of that list are not console sellers. They needed heavy hitters, and we got a few of them. I'd even say Person 4 Golden was the biggest Vita seller, and it's a third party game. No one buys a console for MotorStorm RC.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

And yet those supposed crappy devs made fantastic Vita games while the supposed real devs seem to be releasing almost nothing worthwhile on PS4.

cyborg009

Banned

- Tearaway
- Gravity Rush
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Super Stardust Delta
- Killzone Mercenary
- Soul Sacrifice Delta
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- PS All-Stars Battle Royale
- Wipeout 2048
- MotorStorm RC
- Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
- Sly Cooper Trilogy
- Unit 13
- Sound Shapes
Not really when you realize that list contains launch titles and 2nd party games.

Hatchtag

Banned
Well it's good to get confirmation that Sony can't be trusted to support their own platforms when the going gets a bit tough. This will definitely factor into my buying decision going forward.

Yeah. When the Vita was a damn-near no-show at E3 last year, it definitely helped push me to choose to purchase an Xbox One first.

If Sony has decided to make the Vita/PS TV legacy platforms outside of Japan and Asia, they better not get in the way of custom firmware development. Hell, I'd say Sony's shit firmware has helped kill the Vita/PS TV.

Chuy

Prices will probably go up since they'll probably quit restocking them.
Honestly didn't think of that at first. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a 64gb memory card while I can.
Or hope a mirco sd card adapter is announced soon

I bought a Vita knowing that the party was over in terms of first-party and third-party AAA releases in NA/EU, but man, I hope there is consistent support for Vita on PS+ for the foreseeable future.

I also desperately want PS2 Classics support on this thing, which might be more of a long-shot.

Not shocking.

On a side note, if they added Netflix / Hulu apps to the PSTV it would be the best $50 you have ever spent. I would buy one for each TV in my house and just velcro it to the back of the TV. But no, instead I still have to use my PS3 in my bedroom to watch Neflix and my PSTV to remote play PS4 games.

yamo

Sounds to me like Sony won't venture into mobile gaming again for a foreseeable future. Time to have a look at what psp and vita franchises that can be brought to the ps4.

Patapon *hint hint, nudge nudge*

Circinus

Cut out some that I know aren't exclusives, and majority of that list are not console sellers. They needed heavy hitters, and we got a few of them. I'd even say Person 4 Golden was the biggest Vita seller, and it's a third party game. No one buys a console for MotorStorm RC.

I'm not talking those games being system sellers or not. That's irrelevant for people that already have purchased the system and that are just looking to playing some games on their handheld.

Just talking about SCE first-party output on PS Vita. Which was great for 2012-2013. Short, but sweet. The amount of games they've delivered will last me a good while, they've saturated the PS Vita with games quite well. :)

Not really when you realize that list contains launch titles and 2nd party games.

I'm just talking about first-party games. SCE published = first-party.

Launch titles don't count as playable first-party games or something, what? :p

Sounds to me like Sony won't venture into mobile gaming again for a foreseeable future. Time to have a look at what psp and vita franchises that can be brought to the ps4.

Patapon *hint hint, nudge nudge*

If anything, they'll probably venture into mobile gaming to replace the handheld games business. I'm talking about Android/iOS games by the way. And maybe PS Now on Android/iOS.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Never forget CoD Declassified.
Now that was a major fuck up. They shouldn't have rushed it out for christmas. They should have delayed it a year and put one of their top teams on it. COD was an important release. It needed to be good. A vood COD game a year later would have been better for everyone than a shit game tbat gave people a negative impression of the system.

Steel

Banned
I will still play through Danganronpa 2 on my Vita and then I might sell it.
Don't have any interest in keeping this system just for indie games I can also play on PS4 or PC.

Daganronpa games are still coming over though. Not to mention there's stuff like lost dimension. Sony hasn't been supporting it in the west more than vaguely since Killzone Mercs.

Now that was a major fuck up. They shouldn't have rushed it out for christmas. They should have delayed it a year and put one of their top teams on it. COD was an important release. It needed to be good. A vood COD game a year later would have been better for everyone than a shit game tbat gave people a negative impression of the system.

Eh, I think it was a waste of their time in the first place. It was the exact opposite of the type of game that sells handhelds, still managed to move a decent amount of units though.

Foffy

Banned

Their support has been pretty fucking dreadful on Vita, if we're totally honest. Nothing of substance, sans Gravity Rush, really came from them. So many middle of the road filler titles to console IPs and ports was what their bread and butter attempts were.

In fact, it was the exact same problem they gave with the PSP; it was marketed outside of Japan as getting console-like experiences in the palm of your hand. And the market spoke then that this wasn't desired. Why in the fuck did they try it again? Does anyone remember the awful marketing for Unit 13? The first dual-stick handheld shooter? Who cares?!

cyba89

Considering how some of you seem to really love their Vita, I don't seem to be the target audience for this thing.

I only played Virtues Last Reward, Tearaway, Persona 4G, Danganronpa and Gravity Rush (and some of the PSPlus stuff) on mine.
Really good games but there is not much else for me there. Tried Little Big Planet and Uncharted but those where mediocre imo.

Compare that to the 30 retail 3DS games I own and I certainly know Nintendo is still my personal favorite in the handheld sector.

spannicus

I remember when they showed it after Killzone, hehehe everyone was like huh? hahahaha

xJavonta

Banned
I'm not talking those games being system sellers or not. That's irrelevant for people that already have purchased the system and that are just looking to playing some games on their handheld.

Just talking about SCE first-party output on PS Vita. Which was great for 2012-2013. Short, but sweet. The amount of games they've delivered will last me a good while, they've saturated the PS Vita with games quite well. :)
Fair enough, I don't think that Sony really cares about the small number of people that bought the Vita already, and we'll probably see support dropped (at least in the US) because it's officially been declared dead. I just think it had much more potential and Sony really dropped the ball on it.

But as long as they somehow work some magic to let me buy the PS2 library to play on it, I'll be okay with it being dead.

This doesn't really change anything. The Vita is a system supported by Japanese games, which isn't going to change. It's just business as usual.

I mean all the Targets and Best Buys have like five Vita games (I'm talking copies) in total and the keep having fire sales on PS TV's.

Got a Borderlands bundle for $150 because the code expired March 31. Neat little platform with some interesting games. Really great though as a companion device weirdly enough.

Hope they cut memory card price though since the 64 GB isn't out in the US I doubt that gets affected.

Circinus

Fair enough, I don't think that Sony really cares about the small number of people that bought the Vita already, and we'll probably see support dropped (at least in the US) because it's officially been declared dead. I just think it had much more potential and Sony really dropped the ball on it.

But as long as they somehow work some magic to let me buy the PS2 library to play on it, I'll be okay with it being dead.

They didn't drop the ball imho. But to each their, we clearly have a different opinion on this matter, and we don't seem to be reaching a consensus. ;)

Kouriozan

I still don't know what to do with my PS TV, I'd hoped Sony would support it more
yeah, I know :'(
I'll certainly switch to a Vita 3000 if that ever exist, play everything that I want but can't on TV and be done with it.

Top Bottom