• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

Tapejara

I agree. But this is more related to the business-side of things rather than the consumer side of things. For me it doesn't really whether a game was a launch game or not (I didn't bought a PS Vita at launch for the record)

I agree, maybe the issue from a commercial point of view was that the PS Vita launch line-up was too good. Maybe they should have held back some games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss and release it later during a more quiet period, to keep giving an image of a system with momentum and regular new releases.

I do agree, Vita had one of the best launch line ups ever. I think the point I'm just trying to make is that the system wouldn't be in the position it's in if Sony had more games lined up for the rest of the year.

And how much of that was for the experiences Sony touted as the reason to get it? They never pushed Monster Hunter which is what gave the system the boom it needed, and instead pushed God of Wars, Resistances, and Battlefronts, all of which have their worst selling titles on that very platform. There were other products to get besides those, of course, and the timing of the platform allowed more of that to nourish. You had middle and low-key releases and weren't left with extremes.

Now, look at Vita. It's literally those types of console-wannabe games, or something far more niche and under the radar. There's no middle; it's either wanting to emulate AAA, which failed as usual, or what one can consider a low-key release. That middle is on 3DS, and that's obviously seen in its far meatier, beefier lineup. Where is the middle between a game like Killzone and Danganronpa, or between Unit 13 and Ys? There very frankly isn't one, and the horse they bet on was sinking in the mud before the platform even launched.

Sony pushed MH a lot here (Europe) , it's also a console franchise so it does apply to that philosophy. Furthermore, those franchise have their worst selling titles on PSP because the think was pirated to hell and back. And I don't see that middle on 3DS (except some nintendo franchise and maybe Layton).The 3DS also have a lot console-wannabee games but no one seems to mind.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
RIP Vita. You were good but a mere shadow of the PSP (games wise). Great hardware built by a stupid, stupid company. =(

CHC

As someone who really bought into and advocated the Vita for its fledgling early years, this is definitely painful, but it is what it is. Considering selling mine as it sees less and less use over time, but you never know.

SeanR1221

RIP Vita.

Man...handhelds dying out sucks :/. I've loved handhelds since I got my Gameboy in 1990 I think?

Help up Nintendo. You're our only hope!

ryseing

As someone who really bought into and advocated the Vita for its fledgling early years, this is definitely painful, but it is what it is. Considering selling mine as it sees less and less use over time, but you never know.

Yep.

I remember watching the E3s, hoping Vita would get a big announcement. None never came. Heartbreaking to say the least.

Think I'm gonna go play Shovel Knight and enjoy a last hurrah. Hopefully Ys makes it over.

Makes sense. Although I hope that Sony invests more in PlayStation Mobile now. With Nintendo joining the mobile fray they're going to be very tough to beat.

Kinda hilarious, fanboys wanted a one console future for years and now we have it thanks to smartphones.

PS Mobile is getting cut off in like two months.

Makes sense. Although I hope that Sony invests more in PlayStation Mobile now. With Nintendo joining the mobile fray they're going to be very tough to beat.

Kinda hilarious, fanboys wanted a one console future for years and now we have it thanks to smartphones.

gruenel

Um, no. They had Gravity Rush and Uncharted Abyss. That was it. By the time Killzone came out it was already dead. FPS players weren't buying it for Killzone. They had no marketing push it for right up to launch day except for relying on a freaking Taco Bell promotion. Then finally they started playing one commercial that was freaking horrible and then that was it. We all remember what happened at that E3 a couple months later. A couple second flash of a Vita bundle and 30 minutes of Wonderbook. Vita's failure is all on Sony.

Don't know why you double down on this nonsense.

In addition to Gravity Rush and Uncharted, there was Wipeout, MLB12, LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers, Hot Shots Golf, PSABR, Unit 13 and lots of digital only titles all within the first year. Pretty sure I forgot a few retail titles, too.

I agree that marketing was horrible though.

CHC

Yep.

I remember watching the E3s, hoping Vita would get a big announcement. None never came. Heartbreaking to say the least.

Think I'm gonna go play Shovel Knight and enjoy a last hurrah.

And I would make myself feel better by referencing that PSP's golden age came 4-5 years after launch. I don't think we'll get such a thing for Vita unfortunately.

Malice215

What's definitely not legacy are those memory card prices.

Nothing that hasn't been said already, but it still hurts because I love my Vita. It's like being in a relationship with someone who doesn't love you back. :-(

I don't even mind all that much. But seriously, the Vita would have been doing better if Sony only did the bare minimum of helping localizations from the Japanese games.

No need to put out AAA titles on it, just get the games already out and localize them...

sublimit

Banned
I don't care.I'll never regret buying my Vita.I love the hardware and i have tons of games that i want to play on it.

Every statement about the vita from Sony is ironically killing any chances it has for being relevant in the west.

That's just cruel.

*Strokes Vita*

wilflare

I love how even when Andrew House says the Vita is dead, Vita fans still won't admit it's dead.

I think you got it wrong man.
Vita fans have known for a long time now that the Vita is dead (at the very least in the eyes of Sony)
It's the haters that keep flogging the dead horse because they need something to hate on.

I'm hoping the PSTV gets hacked so I can play all my PSP and Vita titles that would work fine if it weren't for the "whitelist" they have implemented. I really want to play Castlevania: Drac X Chronicles on it.

Personally, I'd sell my Vita if the PSTV played the same games. I'd have no need for it.

Every statement about the vita from Sony is ironically killing any chances it has for being relevant in the west.

That's just cruel.
Relevance would have happened by now. They're setting expectations accordingly for any late adopters.

If that $89 price point rumor is true, that will essentially bottom out the second hand market. I'll probably jump in then when I can get one for around $50.

Circinus

I don't even mind all that much. But seriously, the Vita would have been doing better if Sony only did the bare minimum of helping localizations from the Japanese games.

No need to put out AAA titles on it, just get the games already out and localize them...

Some niche games aren't going to change anything in terms of PS Vita popularity.

Oersted

What's definitely not legacy are those memory card prices.

Nothing that hasn't been said already, but it still hurts because I love my Vita. It's like being in a relationship with someone who doesn't love you back. :-(

To stay in the metaphor, isn't it more like his/her parents won't allow it?

Shahed

Would prefer multiple account support if they gonna abandon the vita.
In a way this killed a massive amount of my interest in the system. Neither my sister and I are big handheld gamers, but we did enjoy several games on the PSP and DS. One of the most annoying things was the single account restriction and we were looking forward to the Vita becoming like a PS3 in that respect. Then we found out Sony got more restrictive :(

We ended not buying a Vita for a while due to being kinda annoyed, just simply haven't bought any Vita games digitally since we'd need to buy them twice so we can both play them, and simply ignored the device for months on end because it was on the other persons account and we couldn't be bothered to switch.

MrBS

Vita is
on
life
support

It was always going to be a niche JRPG machine for me and the Vita continues to deliver. I hope we get a third one. I've enjoyed the PSP/Vita libraries more than DS/3DS.

Ponn

Banned
Don't know why you double down on this nonsense.

In addition to Gravity Rush and Uncharted, there was Wipeout, MLB12, LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers, Hot Shots Golf, PSABR, Unit 13 and lots of digital only titles all within the first year. Pretty sure I forgot a few retail titles, too.

I agree that marketing was horrible though.

Because those weren't AAA titles or anything that was going to sell a console. I bought Hots Shots Golf, it was fun, but if you are depending on that to sell a console, yeesh. LittleBigPlanet came out way to late to be effective and was a title that got little to no fanfare from Sony. As far as Modnation Racers, PSABR and Unit 13? These are not titles you hold up to try and make a point of selling a console. MLB12 mayyyybe but the whole play MLB on the go when away from your PS3 was never going to sell it. I'm looking at it from a realistic point of view and Uncharted and Gravity Rush were there big push titles for Vita, next to Soul Sacrifice which came WAY too late to make a difference. They needed a God of War, some other new IP, maybe that Warriors Lair game if they would have supported it. Soul Sacrifice should have been out quicker. They should have been more on the ball with mobile and PS Mobile and have pushed that platform for cheap or F2P games. More apps would have been nice, kids might have asked for a Vita instead of an Ipad or other tablet for christmas. Just so many missed opportunities, I could go on and on.

Yasumi

Banned
I think I'll be able to survive without SCE first party, Japanese third party support is still strong.

17991155849_fb1d5f0e97_o.jpg

It's pretty much the last console home to consistent non-AAA releases, and that's what I want to play. If it continues as it is, I'll be totally satisfied with the library by the time Japanese support stops. The PS4's a barren wasteland in comparison.

Demoskinos

No regrets on buying one last year. I've constantly been using it. Currently playing through Mortal Kombat 9 again on Vita.

That ship has sailed a long time ago.

And got sunk by Sony themselves and they're making sure it stays sunk.

Relevance would have happened by now. They're setting expectations accordingly for any late adopters.

If that $89 price point rumor is true, that will essentially bottom out the second hand market. I'll probably jump in then when I can get one for around $50.

Such a shame, it has to come that. Well I hope the same for the memory cards but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Ponn

Banned
I think I'll be able to survive without SCE first party, Japanese third party support is still strong.

17991155849_fb1d5f0e97_o.jpg

It's pretty much the last console home to consistent non-AAA releases, and that's what I want to play. If it continues as it is, I'll be totally satisfied with the library by the time Japanese support stops. The PS4's a barren wasteland in comparison.

I think most current and active Vita owners home screens look about the same at this point.

RIP in peace Vita. I enjoyed your Dragon's Crowns, Muramasa's, EDF's, Symphony of the Nights, Ninja Gaiden's, Dead or Alive's and possibly more.

I shall forever lament there never being a Demon's Souls or Dark Souls to grace your neglected bosom.

Your OLED screen shall forever be the best screen ever.

The system was doomed to begin with. A hardcore system offering console-lite experiences. But they never asked themselves why people would play on a Vita instead of their consoles.

Also 3DS won the moment they snagged MH3 exclusivity.

Ninjatogo

PS Mobile is also dead. They're shutting it down entirely later this year. I can see why developers avoided it too, the SDK was not great and the documentation was bad.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think most current and active Vita owners home screens look about the same at this point.
Not me. Over 100 Vita games here. 63 that fit on my memory card not counting PSP/PS1/PSM. Only 1 Japanese game on thee, and I don't even like it(P4G). It's all about tbe indies for me. And the first party and western third party stuff that came out in the first couple years.

sublimit

Banned
RIP in peace Vita. I enjoyed your Dragon's Crowns, Muramasa's, EDF's, Symphony of the Nights, Ninja Gaiden's, Dead or Alive's and possibly more.

I shall forever lament there never being a Demon's Souls or Dark Souls to grace your neglected bosom.

Your OLED screen shall forever be the best screen ever.

As much as i love my OLED screen i hate how it looks when it's completely black (some black spots appear)

Higgy

I love off tv play on Wii u. Anyone tell me if the vita would be worth getting just for that feature or is the controller setup on the vita not great when used for ps4 games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I love off tv play on Wii u. Anyone tell me if the vita would be worth getting just for that feature or is the controller setup on the vita not great when used for ps4 games.
Depends on the game. I have little problem for most games I play. But then I mostly play indie games these days.

Top Bottom