• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew House: PS Vita a 'legacy platform' outside of Japan and Asia

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vita is anything but a legacy platform. I've never seen anything fail as hard to meet the legacy of its predecessor. PSP was a king.

Vita should have done better

Cipherr

I dont understand what the fucking plan was for the Vita from the start. Make awesome hardware then just let it sit? And its supposed to magically just, be awesome and have a long lifespan? What the hell?

Lead by example...

I dont understand what the fucking plan was for the Vita from the start. Make awesome hardware then just let it sit? And its supposed to magically just, be awesome and have a long lifespan? What the hell?

Lead by example...

They most likely started R&D before the mobile rise and when they realized that the market massively shrunk they decided to cut their loss I think.

Also rely on 3rd parties without doing anything to make them come.

Their support has been pretty fucking dreadful on Vita, if we're totally honest. Nothing of substance, sans Gravity Rush, really came from them. So many middle of the road filler titles to console IPs and ports was what their bread and butter attempts were.

In fact, it was the exact same problem they gave with the PSP; it was marketed outside of Japan as getting console-like experiences in the palm of your hand. And the market spoke then that this wasn't desired. Why in the fuck did they try it again? Does anyone remember the awful marketing for Unit 13? The first dual-stick handheld shooter? Who cares?!

The PSP sold 80M units so I think that the market really liked what they got.

Occam

Yet Vita continues to deliver lots of entertainment to those of us who value good games.

I wish other "legacy" platforms were like Vita.

Lead by example...

That's pretty much worked for them in the past so they decided to try it again with the Vita.

Circinus

Lead by example...
That's pretty much worked for them in the past so they decided to try it again with the Vita.

Stay salty. ;)

Anyway, you seem rather poorly informed on the matter, because the first-party output on PS Vita for the first year was easily the best for any PlayStation system yet.

Yet Vita continues to deliver lots of entertainment to those of us who value good games.

I wish other "legacy" platforms were like Vita.

Occam knows what's up! ^.^

Nanashrew

Banned
Their support has been pretty fucking dreadful on Vita, if we're totally honest. Nothing of substance, sans Gravity Rush, really came from them. So many middle of the road filler titles to console IPs and ports was what their bread and butter attempts were.

In fact, it was the exact same problem they gave with the PSP; it was marketed outside of Japan as getting console-like experiences in the palm of your hand. And the market spoke then that this wasn't desired. Why in the fuck did they try it again? Does anyone remember the awful marketing for Unit 13? The first dual-stick handheld shooter? Who cares?!

This has been a problem with every major handheld competitor since the Gamegear. Always touting a home console experience on the go and for that, it always came at a price. It's a mentality that really needed to be broken.

i-Jest

Well those of us that have a Vita already knew this since time but this was a nice surprise regardless. That's being said, I'd like to see a cross regional account system implemented. People get content in regions we don't get in North America and vice versa. Region locking DLC or whatever else is hindering the experience.

If Sony has decided to make the Vita/PS TV legacy platforms outside of Japan and Asia, they better not get in the way of custom firmware development. Hell, I'd say Sony's shit firmware has helped kill the Vita/PS TV.

How so?

braves01

Banned
Playing legacy games has been the only reason to have a Vita for a long time now, glad to see Sony isn't even trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes any more.

Jazz573

You'd think you would need an actual legacy to be a legacy machine.

Yeah, I know, the Vita has lots of "no games". /s

I really don't understand why so many people claim the Vita has "no games". Just because the games don't appeal to you, doesn't mean it has no games.

Servbot24

Banned
Still love mine. Incredibly worth it if you stock up on PS+ games. If you missed all of those I'd probably pass.

Regardless, Vita has a huge amount of awesome games. Not sure why people refuse to acknowledge it.

Not a surprising admission in any way, except possibly timing. The writing's been on the wall for years now. The only question is how long other western publishers will continue to bring over Japanese games and produce indie games for Vita.

Wonko_C

Earlier this year I lost about $1000 worth of my Vita System and games by accidentally leaving it all on a taxi. Someday I'm going to buy it all over again, and then more. #NoRegrets

Tapejara

Not really when you realize that list contains launch titles and 2nd party games.

I'm just talking about first-party games. SCE published = first-party.

Launch titles don't count as playable first-party games or something, what? :p

I think what cyborg009 is getting at, is that while launch titles to give users a reason to play their system, they can't really be considered "support" as the system needs to launch with software.

- Tearaway
- LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
- Killzone Mercenary
- Soul Sacrifice
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
- PS All-Stars Battle Royale
- MotorStorm RC
- Sound Shapes

This your list without the launch titles. I also removed the Sly and Ratchet trilogies, as those are ports of HD remakes and were released in 2014. I also replaced Soul Sacrifice Delta with Soul Sacrifice, as the former was only released in 2014.

They are.

Wait, Eden is on PS Vita? Why was I not told. How I would love PixelJunk Eden and Encore on Vita. Also I heard the new game is a title that would work well on the Vita.

Which reminds me: I really hope the recent spat of titles going "hey so that Vita port, well its delayed until some unspecified time" is not the PR way of saying "its not happening" especially since Sony has washed their hands of the Vita...

Circinus

I think what cyborg009 is getting at, is that while launch titles to give users a reason to play their system, they can't really be considered "support" as the system needs to launch with software.

This your list without the launch titles.

Counts just as much as 'support' to me. PS Vita games are PS Vita games, doesn't really matter when exactly it launch lol.

Ponn

Banned
Considering how some of you seem to really love their Vita, I don't seem to be the target audience for this thing.

I only played Virtues Last Reward, Tearaway, Persona 4G, Danganronpa and Gravity Rush (and some of the PSPlus stuff) on mine.
Really good games but there not much else for me. Tried Little Big Planet and Uncharted but those where mediocre imo.

Compare that to the 30 3DS games I own and I certainly know Nintendo is still my personal favorite in the handheld sector.

It's not for everyone, and that is why it sold badly. It's a haven for JRPG lovers, probably one of the last few bastions left. It's also a wonderful portable to play alot of my favorite games anywhere and anytime. I mean, you can have FF 1 - 10, persona 1 - 4, xenogears, FF tactics, Tactics Ogre and many PS1 classics on one memory card at your fingertips. That is a pretty niche group looking for that though and Sony didn't do jack shit to support it and get bigger exclusive games on it so it is what is. I will still be playing mine many moons from now for all the great games I love going back to being on it. Eventually I will probably even buy an extra new one on sale so i have a spare just in case.

gruenel

It was a legacy platform to Sony before it even came out. Sony can build a damn fine portable machine, they just have no clue how to support it. I would even go so far as to say all the other divisions in Sony probably hated their portables thats why they struggled with support for them.

Huh?

Vita had awesome first party games and support for the first year or so. Not Sony's fault when nobody buys the damn thing, can't expect them to keep burning money I guess.

As long as I get a boatload of indies every month and remote play keeps working, I'll still love my Vita.

Eblo

B_YK-ewUIAAJPfQ.jpg

As long as the more passionate devs still care and try to deliver, I don't care what some CEO man says about Vita.

Roto13

Huh?

Vita had awesome first party games and support for the first year or so. Not Sony's fault when nobody buys the damn thing, can't expect them to keep burning money I guess.

You don't see Nintendo cutting support for the Wii U because nobody is buying it. It is entirely Sony's fault. It's their responsibility to support their platform and make it desirable.

Ettie

I wonder if this is going to lead to stock problems on hardware and software in the not too distant future. I guess if the Japanese market is holding strong you could always import the hardware with little headache.

Foffy

Banned
The PSP sold 80M units so I think that the market really liked what they got.

And how much of that was for the experiences Sony touted as the reason to get it? They never pushed Monster Hunter which is what gave the system the boom it needed, and instead pushed God of Wars, Resistances, and Battlefronts, all of which have their worst selling titles on that very platform. There were other products to get besides those, of course, and the timing of the platform allowed more of that to nourish. You had middle and low-key releases and weren't left with extremes.

Now, look at Vita. It's literally those types of console-wannabe games, or something far more niche and under the radar. There's no middle; it's either wanting to emulate AAA, which failed as usual, or what one can consider a low-key release. That middle is on 3DS, and that's obviously seen in its far meatier, beefier lineup. Where is the middle between a game like Killzone and Danganronpa, or between Unit 13 and Ys? There very frankly isn't one, and the horse they bet on was sinking in the mud before the platform even launched.

Circinus

I love how even when Andrew House says the Vita is dead, Vita fans still won't admit it's dead.

Who's saying that? There's a difference between something being "commercially dead" and something be dead/worthless for a consumer that already owns the device.

I'm not going to throw away my PS Vita with all the games just because the sales are low or something or lol. Likewise, I'm not more likely to purchase the PS4 over the XB1 just because it's more popular.

PS Vita being "commercially dead" doesn't mean that it holds no value anymore for people who own a PS Vita, especially with a large catalogue of games that is still getting expanded each weak thanks to independent developers.

Tapejara

Counts just as much as 'support' to me. Games are games, doesn't really matter when exactly it launch lol.

Well yes, but Sony's support has to extend past launch. They released a ton of cool software at launch, but then significantly scaled down development afterwards. While users might not care, this is terrible for platform growth. The system needs to keep building momentum, and slowing down development, sparsely releasing games or placing your IPs in the hands of developers like Nihilistic makes it difficult for the platform to grow.

It's the same reason why people are criticizing Sony's output on the PS4. If there's not a steady stream of software, then people lose interest. Sony was quick to let that happen with the Vita.

KHlover

Banned
Stay salty. ;)

Anyway, you seem rather poorly informed on the matter, because the first-party output on PS Vita for the first year was easily the best for any PlayStation system yet.

Occam knows what's up! ^.^
What a metric. If we compare this to a horse race it's as if the Vita had won the start of the race but then was tripped by its own jockey and now taken to the back and shot by its owner.

I think Gravity Rush is the only SCE Vita game I actually own and I don't own any western-developed games for the system. My Vita library of a couple dozen games is otherwise entirely Japanese 3rd party. So in terms of software, this news doesn't affect me at all.

But hardware impact is where this saddens me. Virtually no possibility of a larger memory cards or a revision that uses microSD, for example. And no successor. That sucks. I like my 3DS just fine, but I also like my Vita and healthy competition has always been good for the industry.

Kindred Dread

Neo Member
Sony is barely relevant to the Vita anyway. The ones who support it are companies like Nisa, Kecmo Toei, Namco Bandai, etc. This doesn't change anything.

Ponn

Banned
Huh?

As long as I get a boatload of indies every month and remote play keeps working, I'll still love my Vita.

Um, no. They had Gravity Rush and Uncharted Abyss. That was it. By the time Killzone came out it was already dead. FPS players weren't buying it for Killzone. They had no marketing push it for right up to launch day except for relying on a freaking Taco Bell promotion. Then finally they started playing one commercial that was freaking horrible and then that was it. We all remember what happened at that E3 a couple months later. A couple second flash of a Vita bundle and 30 minutes of Wonderbook. Vita's failure is all on Sony.

Circinus

Well yes, but Sony's support has to extend past launch. They released a ton of cool software at launch, but then significantly scaled down development afterwards. While users might not care, this is terrible for platform growth. The system needs to keep building momentum, and slowing down development, sparsely releasing games or placing your IPs in the hands of developers like Nihilistic makes it difficult for the platform to grow.

It's the same reason why people are criticizing Sony's output on the PS4. If there's not a steady stream of software, then people lose interest. Sony was quick to let that happen with the Vita.

I agree. But this is more related to the business-side of things rather than the consumer side of things. For me it doesn't really whether a game was a launch game or not (I didn't bought a PS Vita at launch for the record)

I agree, maybe the issue from a commercial point of view was that the PS Vita launch line-up was too good. Maybe they should have held back some games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss and release it later during a more quiet period, to keep giving an image of a system with momentum and regular new releases.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I hope this doesn't mean fewer cross platform games that include Vita. I also wonder how much longer we can expect Vita games to be among the monthly Plus lineups?

If it's now considered a "legacy platform" certainly they won't mind losing memory cards profit margins and launch an SD card compatible revision of the hardware, will they?

They've blacklisted tons of PS1 and PSP games for no reason, and when they accidentally lifted the restrictions on a Vita firmware, they went out of their way to remove that functionality. Hell, Jim Sterling did a video about it.

Between that and the pretty shitty PS1 & PSP emulation the Vita/PS TV had, Sony pretty much stripped any value the platform had as a retro and handheld gaming platform, making it harder and harder for people to justify buying one outside of the big discount sales from retailers.

There's also the fact that Sony could've made the Vita/PS TV way more viable and enticing if they'd enabled A) multiple account support and B) USB flash drive support on the PS TV.

Top Bottom