• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone considering AC4 on PC BEWARE! Yet another port with terrible optimization!

Zoned

Actively hates charity
this is disappointing by pc standards, but i never understand the "this is why i stick to consoles" stealth troll posts.

you can lock the framerate if you wish to 30fps and still end up with a game that looks infinitely better than the console versions because of max settings (i assume the console versions run at a mixture of mid to high end settings?)

at worst, youll get equal to console performance depending on your machine. at best, youll get 60+fps with max settings.

this does *not* run, look or play any worse than the console versions at all. it just doesnt seem to run at the best it can, considering hardware.

But what about shit tactics that developers like Infinity ward are using by recommending a 780 and 6GB RAM for their shit looking game which ideally should run even on a toaster?

alf717

You know, Im kinda okay with that. I take the stance that anything below 30 fps is just bad. Anything above 30 is above average. What about frame drops? Is it constant, or does it drop like 10 FPS for no good reason?

I find that when I play it doesn't go below 25. I tend to hover in the 30+ range but my hardware is aging. It runs better than ACIII I'll give it that.

If the game is gamepad compatible, I don't even hesitate to lock that shit at 30fps anymore. That's how I played Tomb Raider w/TressFx and Crysis 3. Hell, I'll downsample and lock the framerate at 30fps lol. 60fps plays soooo much better, but I'm a fucking graphics whore.

Ew gross :p

Since I upgraded to a 144Hz monitor I've been turning off everything with no regrets. HBAO, SSAA, motion blur, soft shadows, tesselation; I've got no time for any of'em. As long as I can get 1080p, with maybe a little bit of FXAA so I don't hate myself too much, I'm good. 144FPS is just so mind-alteringly beautiful.

Although I hear ACIV is locked at 60Hz so... shit. Can anyone confirm that?

Odrion

Banned
You do realize if he locks the framerate at 30FPS he'd still have a better experience than on consoles due to all the extra eyecandy stuff anyways, and still have a better performing and better looking game than any of the console versions, right?

So what the fuck is the point in buying a console version if he has a PC up to par?
Did he post his computer specs?

-Deimos

You know, Im kinda okay with that. I take the stance that anything below 30 fps is just bad. Anything above 30 is above average. What about frame drops? Is it constant, or does it drop like 10 FPS for no good reason?

According to this thread, yeah there are random fluctuations but still, it never goes under 40.

Honestly, any console or on-the-fence PC gamers should just leave this thread immediately. All you need to know is this: The game runs better on PC with a decent rig than it does on consoles. All this negativity isn't coming from the fact that it runs worse on PC, but from the fact that it runs well on PC but not God-tier well, which is still perfectly understandable.

Daingurse

Ew gross :p

Since I upgraded to a 144Hz monitor I've been turning off everything with no regrets. HBAO, SSAA, motion blur, soft shadows, tesselation; I've got no time for any of'em. As long as I can get 1080p, with maybe a little bit of FXAA so I don't hate myself too much, I'm good. 144FPS is just so mind-alteringly beautiful.

Although I hear ACIV is locked at 60Hz so... shit. Can anyone confirm that?

Hahaha, I ain't about dat 120hz+ life yet. I don't got the money to keep up with that lol.

antitrop

Well, the game may run shit in PC standards, but compared to consoles it still runs better. You're only going to get 30 fps on console whereas you're getting 40-60 on PC, which is considered crap. So basically PC's crap is still better than what you'd get on PS4.
Until Gsync becomes a reality, 40-60 is pretty much worse than 30.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
According to this thread, yeah there are random fluctuations but still, it never goes under 40.

Honestly, any console or on-the-fence PC gamers should just leave this thread immediately. All you need to know is this: The game runs better on PC with a decent rig than it does on consoles. All this negativity isn't coming from the fact that it runs worse on PC, but from the fact that it runs well on PC but not God-tier well, which is still perfectly understandable.

What are you saying? this game is total mess on PC.

Tablo

Guess I'm not getting AC4 for a few months.. Boo...

Did AC3 ever get fixed up? Is this stuff going to get patched lol?

alf717

Guess I'm not getting AC4 for a few months.. Boo...

Did AC3 ever get fixed up? Is this stuff going to get patched lol?

I don't recall any of the patches for AC III doing anything for me in term of performance. I have 1.06 and it still runs bad.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

AC4 easily runs better on PS4 than AC3 did on my PC and my PC crushes all but a few games. (the most CPU-limited ones... 7950 limited by an i5 650)

AC4 easily runs better on PS4 than AC3 did on my PC and my PC crushes all but a few games. (the most CPU-limited ones... 7950 limited by an i5 650)

That CPU clearly explains why AC3 ran so poorly unless you did some proper overclocking on it.

-Deimos

What are you saying? this game is total mess on PC.

How so? If you don't mind screen tearing, PC is the way to go. If it really bothers you, just use external vsync or some of the other alternatives with a locked 30 and you're getting the same, if not better, quality as consoles.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That CPU clearly explains why AC3 ran so poorly unless you did some proper overclocking on it.

Yet it's good enough for 60fps in Crysis 3 and 99% of the games I've tried. GTAIV (lol) and Metro: Last Light are the only other games that chug out of hundreds, including lots of recent ones.

pa22word

Yet it's good enough for 60fps in Crysis 3 and 99% of the games I've tried.

Most games are GPU heavy. Some games are CPU heavy. This is one of the latter.

Though Ubisoft's rather poor CPU optimization doesn't help matters much, lol...

kazebyaka

Banned
The game is fucking amazing. But Ubisoft done goofed with pc port once again. It looks awesome, but runs like 2 times worse than AC3. Ubi's ports are a mixed bag

Evo X

I'm having no problems running this game maxed out at 1080p. Far Cry 3 and Splinter Cell run great as well. The only annoying thing is the 60hz limit.

specs:

2500K @ 4.7Ghz
8GB 2133Mhz RAM
GTX 780 Ti @1150Mhz

Not to be an asshole, but I call bullshit on this.

Unless your system is magic there is absolutely no way you're getting "constant 60 fps aside from areas with dense foliage". Constant 30 maybe, but not 60. If you are I want to know exactly what you're doing because my game runs like shit on the same card.

I don't see an option for PhysX.

I'm not lying. Whatever you want to know, I'll tell you. My CPU is somewhat overclocked, at 4.1 GHz, and my GPU is OC'd as well, with a core clock of 1125 MHz and a memory clock of 1575 MHz. There's actually another situation I've encountered that knocks me below 60 fps with the same settings: large boarding scenarios. Even so, the lowest framerate I've seen so far is 45.

akira28

Threads like these keep me to consoles.

Situations like these make me feel like someone somewhere would prefer this to happen so console is the preferred version even though PC could easily blow away standard console performance. They just don't feel like putting any money into an optimized pc port is worth it, and they go down to the wire just to put the game out for console. PC is just an afterthought, if it happens to be a thought at all.

Jtrizzy

this sucks. I'm about to jump in with a 580/2600k@4.2. I have no chance of running this at 50-60 with any kind of bells and whistles. Guess I can't complaining too much considering I got it for $20 and with PS4 out I can throw it on the back burner and hope for a patch...although it sounds like that isn't happening either.

Threads like these keep me to consoles.

To be fair, bad ports exist on the consoles too, and these things are a rarity in comparison to the whole of PC gaming. Plus, there's always fan-made patches and easy work-arounds that just don't exist on consoles if they have problems.

Ex. Deadly Premonition.

... You mean outside of the ludicrous amount of crashes and bugs?

Yes, hilariously. BF4 has had plenty of launch problems but at least when it works, it's glorious. And though BF3 gave me tons of problems (excuse me--I mean PUNKBUSTER gave me tons of problems) my BF4 experience has been surprisingly trouble-free, aside from how much I suck at it. More to the point, BF4 PC seems pretty obviously to be the best version, whereas the same apparently can't be said for the others.

haikira

Think rather than risk a purchase just now, I'll wait until steam's game sharing is around and borrow it from a friend for an hour.

Jac_Solar

Just like 3 the game is CPU capped. Your processor is more important than your graphics card for high framerates.

I remember the first Far Cry had a similar issue - it didn't really matter what settings I changed, the FPS didn't really improve or decrease because it was limited by the CPU. It was only published by Ubisoft, though..

KHlover

Banned
Time for tinfoil hats:With the beginning of the next console generation ports start to suck again.

Coincidence? I think not.

ShadyJ

The neat thing is that most PC ports with shitty performance eventually become perfect with better hardware. Console versions with poor framerates are doomed forever.

Not even, wait for a driver release by ATi/Nvidia which will fix some issues.

Qassim

It's having performance problems but the game also has a shitload of PC specific graphical features which is rather exciting. I'm interested to give them game a go on my 780 (Overclocked) and 4770K.

Hopefully some updates can solve some of the optimisation issues.

hlhbk

Uplays pretty good these days, there native controller support in there client is great.

Much like GFWL I have never had an issue with Uplay and don't understand the hate for it. Unlike EA you can still get UBI games on Steam, though when they are terrible ports like AC4 I don't know if that is a good thing....

Because I am getting drops into the 40's with a game that looks nowhere near as good as others on the market, even batman with all the apex turbulence and physx effects Downsampled to 4k runs better than this, that should answer every question you have on the performance of this game on pc.

Maybe try setting environmental quality to High?

pa22word

I will be trying that tonight. What does that do exactly?

Disables at least some of the tessellation on foliage, which on very high is a very high amount of tessellation, and tessellation really hammers cards. I keep it enabled because I adore the effect and the subtle amount of depth it adds to scenes, but it really does chew into your FPS when devs graciously apply it.

Try disabling it and ambient occlusion (SSAO or HBAO+) for instant FPS boost if you're being gpu bottlenecked.

I will be trying that tonight. What does that do exactly?

Reduces the view distance and turns of some environment tessellation features. It dramatically lowers the load on your CPU so the frame rate should go up for everyone.

Here is the comparison I did for 3 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44727862&postcount=372

Disables at least some of the tessellation on foliage, which on very high is a very high amount of tessellation, and tessellation really hammers cards. I keep it enabled because I adore the effect and the subtle amount of depth it adds to scenes, but it really does chew into your FPS when devs graciously apply it.

It's not the tessellation that's causing the performance drop.

sleepykyo

Time for tinfoil hats:With the beginning of the next console generation ports start to suck again.

Coincidence? I think not.

Isn't this expected and requested though? With the PS4 and XB1 out, the low end has been moved up so maintaining 60+fps at 4k resolutions is going to move up as well.

Top Bottom