• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Buying PlayStation Portal Next Month?

Will You Buy PlaySation Portal At Launch Or In The Future?

• Total voters
So not too long ago Sony revealed the PlayStation Portal device which essentially let's you remote play your PS5 games without a need for a TV or any other of a sort device for $199. It release next month on Novemebr 9th.

It will feature haptic feedback, 1080p HD resolution and 60 fps which is plenty for a secondary handheld device in my opinion. However, at first I kind of didn't care for it when it was announced. But now that time has passed and I gave it some thought I realized what I will be buying this for.

I am in my early 30s and I don't have the energy as much anymore to it in front of a TV or a monitor in a chair or couch to play games all day. Plus I am busy with adult life and so on. But now, with games like Monster Hunter 6 on the horizon this, this game will be one reason and enough of a reason for me to buy it. I miss the PSP days of playing MHFU, it was my teenhood.

I don't know when exactly MH6 releases besides it being obviously announced at the franchise's 20th anniversary but I'll buy PlaySation Portal at release for current time usage and games like MH Sunbreak. Can't wait to earn trophies while laying in bed!

I don't know how far you could take this thing with you, because it relies on a good wifi connection so I don't imagine it would be that great at a public space. But who knows.

What is the reason you are going to be buying PlayStation Portal next month? Or why won't you buying it? Discuss!

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

BootsLoader

Banned
If it can run emulators decently and may do other things on it, I’ll consider it. Otherwise, I don’t have a PS5 so no.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'll be honest, there are times that I want to game outside of my gaming room, in other house divisions, and I don't have that flexibility.

But at the same time that lack of flexibility is what makes me do other activities so, no, I'll keep my gaming time solely in my gaming room.

Last edited:

keraj37

Got PS5, PSVR2 and ps5 3d pulse headphones, so only thing missing to collection would be this handheld, so probably will get it at some point but I am not sure.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I already have 3 Dualsenses. Not because I like them or because I play a lot of couch coop, but because the buid quality is insanely shit.

So let me tell you that this is a hard pass for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, I think so.
I am more hyped for pulse elite. planar magnetic drivers !
No news when it's coming out tho

MayauMiao

Don't see why I would spend so much to play games meant to be on a 4K tv. If I wanted portable, Switch is the way.

Zuzu

I might buy it down the line but not at release. It might be fun to play Baldur's Gate 3 in bed if I get that game on PS5 (still waiting to see how the Series X version turns out).

Last edited:

Markio128

It’s certainly not essential, but I may get one before Xmas, depending on impressions. I have quite a few top-down RPG’s to get stuck into properly, so this may be the ticket.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I wish it was available in my country, because I would if I could. Fighting for the TV is tough battle sometimes. Moving the PS5, too much work.

NinjaBoiX

I might get one second hand down the line but not at launch. I don’t really have a need for one (I have a 4k tv that I don’t need to share with anyone) but I’m curious all the same.

Ansphn

Not Day 1 but I will eventually purchase the device. I game in bed with my phone attached to a Duel sense but this device looks more comfortable and it has a bigger screen.

Last edited:

digdug2

Remote play isn't quite there yet. If I have to be on the same network to play my PS5 optimally, I'd rather play it on my 77" C1.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yes. I don't want to kill my phone battery and I'd rather play the PS5 remotely than the Switch. Apart from the new Mario this month, I don't really play or expect to play the Switch. I don't play online multilayer or quick press action games for the most part so I don't think latency will be a major factor.

keefged4

I dont understand why people would spend money on this, spend the extra and get a steam deck or similar. Chiaki is amazing on deck.

Aenima

I have TV and PS5 in bedroom. Thers no wifi in the places i usually travel. So this acessory is not for me.

midnightAI

I dont understand why people would spend money on this, spend the extra and get a steam deck or similar. Chiaki is amazing on deck.
Hold on, you can play PS5 games on Steam Deck?

Edit: actually, doesnt matter, the whole point is still to have full dualsense controls and using a separate controller negates the point of a simple all in one solution and £200 vs £400, I'd only want it for PS5 gaming)

Last edited:

keefged4

Hold on, you can play PS5 games on Steam Deck?

Edit: actually, doesnt matter, the whole point is still to have full dualsense controls and using a separate controller negates the point of a simple all in one solution and £200 vs £400, I'd only want it for PS5 gaming)
You can stream PS5 games to the deck with Chiaki. And just about everything else. The only thing the Deck cant do is the adaptive triggers and rumble, but the upside is full control over remaps, gyro on every game if you want etc. 64gb Steam deck is only £150 more, as oppose to paying the £200 for a restriced streaming only device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom