• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Buying PlayStation Portal Next Month?

Will You Buy PlaySation Portal At Launch Or In The Future?

• Total voters

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
YWlydT9.jpg

Screen protector is patiently waiting

I will buy it when Portal will allow to play PlayStation 5 games through cloud without need to own PS5.

Until then it's pretty useless device.
I'd have to agree. Your mom seems more useful! J/k

I do not believe Sony is really going to be investing much in the cloud to be fair. Seems more like a MS thing. Wasn't Sony pushing cloud heavily with the PS4 at the initial announcement and then just kind of dropped the ball on it?

Last edited:

DrFigs

I'd have to agree. Your mom seems more useful! J/k

I do not believe Sony is really going to be investing much in the cloud to be fair. Seems more like a MS thing. Wasn't Sony pushing cloud heavily with the PS4 at the initial announcement and then just kind of dropped the ball on it?
Yeah it's kind of like xcloud. Eventually these companies come to realize no one really wants to play games primarily over the cloud

Last edited:

Mowcno

If eventually they software update it so it can cloud stream then maybe I'd consider it if it dropped in price a bit. That it isn't launching with cloud streaming and they've not said it's coming either is beyond baffling.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Got myself a little case to keep this guy safe, £20 on Amazon and seems like great quality. Can’t wait till this arrives next week, be playing sea of stars in bed like a lazy bastard. This will increase my gaming time dramatically!
hRdGplH.jpg

gCZurh0.jpg

They might not push it with much force, but the recently added PS5 streaming which includes also the 2 or 5h test oppurtnity is a nice feature and they seem to sort of silently add stuff. They certainly should expand it to allow other devices though- streaming PS5 to PS5 only is dumb-, because if you are a loyal PS Now PC only user you get anyway less (no PS5 only games so far at all), so limiting streaming for those people is a major dick move because it would finally allow access to those games.

TVexperto

So its releasing next weeks and except a controlled preview in a controlled environment by sony only playing one demo we have no real insights about how it actually is

AmuroChan

So its releasing next weeks and except a controlled preview in a controlled environment by sony only playing one demo we have no real insights about how it actually is

How what actually is? The streaming quality? That's going to depend on the WiFi in your home. If you have issues streaming from your PS5 to your PC or phone in your home today, this device is not going to change that.

I bet most that are buying have used remote play in their environment at some point, and this device adds the ability to use PS direct link protocol and IPv6 . . .
so it'll at least work as well as what we use now, but will work better if you have wifi6 or are close to your ps5.

Killjoy-NL

Got the email for Sony that they will write off the payment within a few days

Told my 17yo son he'll be sick from school next week so he can accept the delivery. Lol
(Win-win situation)

Then I'll finally be able to play on my PS5 without having to resort to PSVR cinema-mode and be cut off from the outside world while my gf watches tv.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think I'll get it but not at launch. I'll wait for reviews and also for a firmware update that adds cloud gaming support directly from Sony's server, without using the PS5 console.

I dont understand why people would spend money on this, spend the extra and get a steam deck or similar. Chiaki is amazing on deck.
I assume people would spend on it instead of in Steamdeck because it's cheaper, it has the Dual Sense ergonomy and features, more resolution and because they may have their most of their game catalog on PS and not in PC.

In addition to this, we'll have to see comparisions but it's likely that it may offer a better Remote Play experience in terms of latency and video quality than with Steamdeck.

Last edited:
I dont understand why people would spend money on this, spend the extra and get a steam deck or similar. Chiaki is amazing on deck.

Yea I used Chiaki and it's great. The only thing I don't like is it's kind of difficult getting it setup to work outside of your home. It's not easy and non tech savy people will have trouble. On top of that it felt really dumb having to use my phone to wake my PS5 from sleep and then go back to the app. Plus it's 3rd party and isn't supported by Sony. They could kill it off at any moment and you can't do anything about it.

Top Bottom