• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Buying PlayStation Portal Next Month?

Will You Buy PlaySation Portal At Launch Or In The Future?

• Total voters

Cyberpunkd

I am in my early 30s and I don't have the energy as much anymore to it in front of a TV or a monitor in a chair or couch to play games all day.
This. I am almost exclusively playing on my Switch since it is so hassle free as opposed to turning on the TV and sitting in the chair.

Roufianos

I would have a really hard time justifying this over a Steam Deck or ROG Ally, which would stream my PS5 games and a whole lot more. Maybe if it goes on a steep sale, which it probably will.

It's not really a bad product, I mean I definitely don't think Sony could support a dedicated handheld, it just seems expensive for what it offers.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
This. I am almost exclusively playing on my Switch since it is so hassle free as opposed to turning on the TV and sitting in the chair.

How's your vision man ?
I wear prescription glasses for work but being 45, I nowadays need something bigger than a 7-8 inch screen to be able to enjoy and see comfortably on something that's not a TV 😁

Mahavastu

I choosed "Maybe".
In my vacation home it would allow me to sit on the balcony with great sea view instead of the rather dark Home cinema room... One way to get some sun and fresh air you know? :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When PS6 or PS7 comes out, I would not be surprised if they will include some sort of a device to let you play the games on the go. Or the the tech and internet/wi-fi/cloud will get so good that you could play next-gen games on any device in your house whether it be a tablet. laptop, pc, or a phone. Microsoft kind of was doing this with their cloud games, you could play Sea of Thieves on the phone. It wasn't the best experience obviously, but it worked. I am just saying that in 10-20 years from now, it will just be a standard with how good tech will be.

Oh yeah, that'll be nice. I think we'll be there next-generation for sure. The Switch kinda is making this mandatory actually.

No, but I know people that are and I don't really understand why.

- Quality
- Convenience
- Ease of Use

DryvBy

Oh yeah, that'll be nice. I think we'll be there next-generation for sure. The Switch kinda is making this mandatory actually.

- Quality
- Convenience
- Ease of Use

But how is it different from my phone and a controller? I used this on a road trip recently to test it. Stream was great but I don't know what else this is doing.

Kacho

It's hard to believe we have people here saying the device will do well looking at those poll results. Yikes.

Iced Arcade

In your early 30s and don't have the energy to sit in front of a TV 😆

You need to worry about booking a doctor's appointment instead of a portal screen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But how is it different from my phone and a controller? I used this on a road trip recently to test it. Stream was great but I don't know what else this is doing.

It's totally up to you. So your way isn't wrong.

- But I don't want to need to put my phone in a holder to play games remotely.
- This screen is 8", my phone is like 6.3"
- I don't want to burn the battery on my phone just to play games remotely.
- I don't want my phone notifications to pop up while I'm gaming.
- Having everything in one unit (like a Steamdeck) looks like it'll feel better to play.

It's hard to believe we have people here saying the device will do well looking at those poll results. Yikes.

It only has to sell to 1% of PS5 owners to be successful! By time this thing releases I think there will be over 50 million PS5s out there. If it does 500,000 units in the first year, that's great!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Preorder is sold out everywhere except a couple of locations (last I saw)

Seems to be a nice demand for it

Oh and if you want to go by the poll here 12% of the people said they will buy this and I would consider that number a success if they manage to sell to that many people

Last edited:

FrankWza

It only has to sell to 1% of PS5 owners to be successful! By time this thing releases I think there will be over 50 million PS5s out there. If it does 500,000 units in the first year, that's great!
Similar to PSVR2. It's a copy paste argument because the attach rate is on an eventual 100 mil.
Preorder is sold out everywhere except a couple of locations (last I saw)

Seems to be a nice demand for it

Oh and if you want to go by the poll here 12% of the people said they will buy this and I would consider that number a success if they manage to sell to that many people
I'm not sure if it's just an allocation issue because I don't believe it ever sold out on PS direct. But Amazon and Best buy are sold out and their allocation can't be that low that it's insignificant so that's still a good sign for the product.
Edit: it's back in stock at BB
Edit.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

If I hadn't already gotten a 2nd ps5 for my bedroom I'd probably have snatched one up for when the living room tv is occupied, but at this point I don't have a need for it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This makes sense, but still too expensive.

Folks have told me that the best use case of Portal is when you have a wife who wants to watch the TV.

So first, I'm gonna go buy myself a wife. And then, yes, I will buy a Portal.
This one also makes sense, by the way. Just saying.

pyljnhW.jpeg

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Honest question: could this be hacked/jailbroken in the future ? I mean, is there anything to be hacked here ? Does this device even have an OS ? From what I understand, it doesn't even run android ?

Some emus or being able to run Xcloud would be really nice - heck, even a web browser would be nice at this point.

Shifty1897

Honest question: could this be hacked/jailbroken in the future ? I mean, is there anything to be hacked here ? Does this device even have an OS ? From what I understand, it doesn't even run android ?

Some emus or being able to run Xcloud would be really nice - heck, even a web browser would be nice at this point.
It's running modified Android according to leaks, so it's only a matter of time before it's cracked.

Killjoy-NL

prediction: top 3 biggest sony hardware flop of all time. How many regulars are gonna get this thing and thinks it plays some kinda game w/o a connection and return it. its just a market that really isnt needed atm considering the quality of experience it provides
How you define flop for an optional accessory that Sony likely doesn't expect to sell anywhere close to PS5 sales?

Schmendrick

to be fair, a poll regarding the appeal of something like Fifa, CoD or Fortnite would look similarily negative here. This board is an enthusiast niche, not representative of the broad majority.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Exactly. LCD has come a long way and it’s a way better screen than the Vita regardless of it being OLED. OLED would just be more expensive and that’d be an even bigger issue
idk. people were complaining when they thought this thing was 299. they're still complaining at 199. and they expect an OLED screen?

Top Bottom