• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Buying PlayStation Portal Next Month?

Will You Buy PlaySation Portal At Launch Or In The Future?

• Total voters

Bond007

I have no use for it, so no.
If it made sense for me somehow or i actually rather use a smaller screen rather than the 85inch a few feet away- then sure. As it stands, that is not the case.

And yet it is cheaper than all four and is more fit for purpose (even if you own a phone, tablet, laptop and/or PC)
Who doesn’t have a phone in this day and age? I’m pretty sure almost every android and iPhone can access the PlayStation app and stream games to their device. You could buy a £10 controller/phone attachment and have the same experience (albeit on a slightly smaller screen).

Also it can only be used over the same Wi-Fi that your PS5 is connected to, so I’d argue that it’s less fit for purpose than a smartphone or any of the devices I listed, since you can stream games from any location (providing you have access to the internet and PS5 is in sleep mode).

ulantan

Who doesn’t have a phone in this day and age? I’m pretty sure almost every android and iPhone can access the PlayStation app and stream games to their device. You could buy a £10 controller/phone attachment and have the same experience (albeit on a slightly smaller screen).

Also it can only be used over the same Wi-Fi that your PS5 is connected to, so I’d argue that it’s less fit for purpose than a smartphone or any of the devices I listed, since you can stream games from any location (providing you have access to the internet and PS5 is in sleep mode).
You can use any wifi

You can use any wifi
That’s interesting as I’ve heard that it will only work from home Wi-Fi and the official store page says ‘from your home Wi-Fi’. Maybe I’m wrong and I hope I am because this thing seems a little pointless for most of you can only use it at home.

Even though latency will likely become an issue at distance, you can play slower paced games with no problems.

Kindela

Banned

It's the same experience the same way playing CP2077 on a ps4 and a ps5 is the same experience.

They should have bundled it. But as the reign of Jimbo has ended, it is too dangerous to invest into anything peripheral that came out during his era.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That’s interesting as I’ve heard that it will only work from home Wi-Fi and the official store page says ‘from your home Wi-Fi’. Maybe I’m wrong and I hope I am because this thing seems a little pointless for most of you can only use it at home.

Even though latency will likely become an issue at distance, you can play slower paced games with no problems.
On PS Direct page it says

While your home Wi-Fi network represents a great option to use PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player because you have control over the quality of your own home Wi-Fi, it is not required. PlayStation Portal™ Remote Player can also be played wherever you have access to broadband internet Wi-Fi with at least 5Mbps for use*. For a better play experience, a high-speed connection of at least 15Mbps is recommended. If you are using public Wi-Fi, be aware that the quality of the internet connection may be out of your control, and could impact the quality of your play experience.

https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/buy-accessories/playstation-portal-remote-player

Mr Branding

Nba Players Association Thumbs Down GIF by NBPA

I'm getting it. Reasons:

1. $200 won't exactly break the bank
2. full sized buttons
3. dualsense features
4. 1 device, easy to take around my house
5. I use remote play often, mainly play room with toddler
6. I work from home, picking up and putting down a handheld has advantages
7. Playing a handheld in the family room counts as "family time", but being in my finished basement with my PS5 does not.

keefged4

Some people have family lives.

I wonder how many of the pessimist are single and/or don't have kids.
I have a family life as you describe it, not sure what that has to do with what I was saying? Pessimists, what, for calling out a shitty product when a better and more versatile option already exists?

Killjoy-NL

I have a family life as you describe it, not sure what that has to do with what I was saying? Pessimists, what, for calling out a shitty product when a better and more versatile option already exists?
It was a "if the shoe fits". If you are not one of them, it wasn't meant towards you.

And what makes Steamdeck a 'better' option if I only care about my PS5?
Portal is just a screen combined with a Dualsense and that's all it needs to be.

This seems like a massive waste of money for anyone that owns a phone, tablet, laptop or PC.
I got an ipad with dualsense, and an iPhone with backbone. But I'm still getting the Portal cause those options suck.
Neither have the dualsense features. Most games are about impossible to read on a phone and the backbone is missing touchpad controls, and it doesnt' fit over cases, so you constantly have to juggle your phone case.
Ipad and controller is a bitch to carry around. iPad also drains battery like crazy cause no one ever turns it completely off.
Portal is the only device with dualsense features, full size buttons, on one device that's easy to carry around.

It's not a waste of money at all to me. IMO the people that buy extra controllers for cosmetic reasons are wasting money.

keefged4

It was a "if the shoe fits". If you are not one of them, it wasn't meant towards you.

And what makes Steamdeck a 'better' option if I only care about my PS5?
Portal is just a screen combined with a Dualsense and that's all it needs to be.
Fair point. I just feel that if folk were in the market for a handheld streaming device in general, there are much better options out there that provide more functionality valuewise than £200 for a closed source PS Wii U tablet.

killatopak

I don’t think I will but I’m open to it if it reviews well.

It’s definitely not a priority for me though.

Killjoy-NL

Fair point. I just feel that if folk were in the market for a handheld streaming device in general, there are much better options out there that provide more functionality valuewise than £200 for a closed source PS Wii U tablet.
True, but I don't think that's the target audience for Portal.

Thedtrain

Yes, because the sticks on the backbone sucks and hooking up a DS for my phone isn't fun. It's only $200 so why not

keefged4

True, but I don't think that's the target audience for Portal.
This is why there is such a negative and pessimistic approach to the Portal though, especially on places like here, because for those "In the know" the device is a total waste of money.

Killjoy-NL

This is why there is such a negative and pessimistic approach to the Portal though, especially on places like here, because for those "In the know" the device is a total waste of money.
Those "in the know" ought to know the purpose of Portal and if they are part of the target audience.

I'd only understand the criticism if there was false advertising, which isn't the case.

Synless

I’m going to buy it and give it a shot. If it works good, I’ll keep it. If it sucks, it goes back to the store.

The appeal of me using this device as opposed to my iPad/phone is great so I hope it works well enough.

keefged4

Those "in the know" ought to know the purpose of Portal and if they are part of the target audience.

I'd only understand the criticism if there was false advertising, which isn't the case.
A big part of it is people hoped Sony would actually deliver a proper handheld, not this. This is also why folk are not that enthused about the Portal.

A big part of it is people hoped Sony would actually deliver a proper handheld, not this. This is also why folk are not that enthused about the Portal.
I find it funny that it's called PlayStation Portal, it's PSP for short all over again but is a tad different LOL.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

But that's on them then, right?
That boils down to false expectations from a part of the community.
In no way is Portal a bad move from Sony. Along with the PS5 Access Controller it's just a way to expand on accessibility for PS5.

But I suppose I get why people wanted something else. It's not like I wouldn't mind a successor to Vita.

Last edited:

Interfectum

This seems like a massive waste of money for anyone that owns a phone, tablet, laptop or PC.
Not really. Having a charged plug and play device is a lot more useful than you give it credit for. For a phone, you gotta find your backbone controller (or whatever), most likely remove the phone case, hopefully you are willing to sacrifice phone battery to play as well. For tablet and laptop, now you have to worry about placement of the screen, is it on your lap? on a table? I can see a big use case for a Portal plugged in, ready to be grabbed and go... similar to the Switch if you are only playing at home.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
1. So I assume the Wi-fi has to be top notch in order for it to work?
2. I also assume the PS5 needs to be on?
3. Will it work for disc based games? Did needs to be in the drive and running?

poodaddy

I was recently very impressed with PSPlus streaming when I tried the service again, but as I understand it this device doesn't support that correct? If it did, it would be much more compelling.

Shakka43

If it had any other uses like local emulation I would be super interested. But as of now we don't even know what OS this thing will have or how much power and memory(if any) will be on board.

midnightAI

If it had any other uses like local emulation I would be super interested. But as of now we don't even know what OS this thing will have or how much power and memory(if any) will be on board.
We do?

It's Android as far as I am aware, and it won't have any local storage (or very little just for the OS) it doesn't need any, my guess is the processor won't be anything special and probably low ram also.

edit: when I say Android it's likely to be AOSP, makes the most sense, no bloat just the modules they need and would boot straight into their custom UI

Last edited:
Top Bottom