• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are You Buying PlayStation Portal Next Month?

Will You Buy PlaySation Portal At Launch Or In The Future?

• Total voters
This seems like a massive waste of money for anyone that owns a phone, tablet, laptop or PC.
I have all of those and can never get remote play to reliably work. If this thing is as simple as it seems to be, I can definitely see the value. If my remote play issues would carry over to this thing anyway then it's a huge waste.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

StereoVsn

Honestly the fact it's cheaper than their edge controller makes me question the quality of the whole controller. I mean what happens when you get stick drift like a regular Sony controller?
You print out a poster of Jim Ryan, pin it to a wall and then chuck that Portal at it as hard as you can!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hopefully yes, I would have preordered it but it's been an expensive past two months.

I'm actually really excited for it. I have my reservations but if this thing is as lag free as the WiiU gamepad, its gonna be a killer device for my needs.

Wooxsvan

prediction: top 3 biggest sony hardware flop of all time. How many regulars are gonna get this thing and thinks it plays some kinda game w/o a connection and return it. its just a market that really isnt needed atm considering the quality of experience it provides

slade

Voted no because I just bought a Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra so I've already got my streaming device.

That said, I was surprised that it's sold out at Amazon Canada. Limited stock maybe.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don't want or need one, but I am incredibly curious to try it on my local network. I'm not sure if I'll be allowed, but I might buy one just to try it, and then return it.

The streaming experience to Android/iPhone is abysmal, but I'm not sure if that's my network, or their terrible app. I'm curious how it'll shake out with the PSPortal

Done. Did they hint somewhere that an OLED version is possible?

It wouldn't let me change my vote, but chart me down as waiting for the OLED version. Sony did not state that an OLED version is coming. But given that the original name of the Portal was Project Q Lite, I took that as a hint that a regular Project Q with an OLED screen may be possible if the Lite is a success.

Last edited:
It wouldn't let me change my vote, but chart me down as waiting for the OLED version. Sony did not state that an OLED version is coming. But given that the original name of the Portal was Project Q Lite, I took that as a hint that a regular Project Q with an OLED screen may be possible if the Lite is a success.
Yeah I have the option of not allowing votes to me changed, you should of waited lol.

midnightAI

You can stream PS5 games to the deck with Chiaki. And just about everything else. The only thing the Deck cant do is the adaptive triggers and rumble, but the upside is full control over remaps, gyro on every game if you want etc. 64gb Steam deck is only £150 more, as oppose to paying the £200 for a restriced streaming only device.
But if all you want to do is stream PS5 (because of reasons already mentioned)...
It's cheaper
Uses actual dual sense controls (all within one unit)
And haptics
And adaptive triggers
1080p (Steam Deck is 800p)
Potentially less control lag (comparable to other streaming as Sony can tune this specifically for remote play, this is a guess but it's highly likely)
Most likely lighter (do we have an official weight yet?)
Ergonomics look much better
And not an issue for most, but it matches the PS5 and the Dual Sense, it looks part of the same family of hardware

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is why there is such a negative and pessimistic approach to the Portal though, especially on places like here, because for those "In the know" the device is a total waste of money.

Only the stupid people on GAF don't "know" why the Portal exists. It's okay for a person to not buy it. But to think it has no place is the dumbest thing a gamer could think.

Only the stupid people on GAF don't "know" why the Portal exists. It's okay for a person to not buy it. But to think it has no place is the dumbest thing a gamer could think.
Imo it's essentially a light "Switch" extension of the PS5 except that it has use WiFi and not an actual console/device that can function on its own.

I have a feeling that in future console generations these things will become part of the standard out of the box experience. There is absolutely no reason why future consoles should always be tied to a TV. Technology is too advanced now and there are ways to go around it. I hope this thing sells for them and proves to me a success.

This the beauty of competition. Nintendo is the one who set the standard here on hybrid gaming. Now Sony is following suit, Xbox will be doing it as well in some shape or form, cloud is kind of their way of doing it.

Last edited:

yurinka

Honestly the fact it's cheaper than their edge controller makes me question the quality of the whole controller. I mean what happens when you get stick drift like a regular Sony controller?
The quality seems to be the DualSense one, but adding a display in the middle and Remote Play functionality. So I assume that it will happen the same than when you get stick drift in a DualSense if they didn't fix it.

Gamerguy84

The more I think about this thing the better it's sounding.

Just read you don't need PSPLUS to use it. So your PS5 is the server it's working from.

$199.

Any modern router can handle massive amounts of data. This needs 5 mbps for shit and 15 for quality connection. That's achievable with anything as long as it isn't 2.4 with 50 wireless clients.

The big one is no fragmented teams to make games for it. Spiderman 2 or anything else is playable immediately.

pick up and play wherever there is wifi, except public because it won't work well.

8 inch screen with true R1,R2 L1,L2 buttons. Not having this on Vita was the reason I couldn't play a lot of games. Using the back pad was terrible.

Yea I think this thing is going to be great. I have PSPLUS for the next couple of years so there is 400 compatible games off the bat.

45 days to go.

Clover904

If this can support Gamepass in some roundabout way, I’ll buy it. If not, I’ll remote play on my iPhone Max via the backbone controller.

The ability to play both PlayStation and Xbox is more important than a bigger screen and haptic feedback.

fersnake

another scenario. your traveling and want to play some games, sure turn on your portal and buala! your wife, brother, partner etc is using the ps5.

owned.

so no.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Imo it's essentially a light "Switch" extension of the PS5 except that it has use WiFi and not an actual console/device that can function on its own.

I have a feeling that in future console generations these things will become part of the standard out of the box experience. There is absolutely no reason why future consoles should always be tied to a TV. Technology is too advanced now and there are ways to go around it. I hope this thing sells for them and proves to me a success.

This the beauty of competition. Nintendo is the one who set the standard here on hybrid gaming. Now Sony is following suit, Xbox will be doing it as well in some shape or form, cloud is kind of their way of doing it.

What do you mean by the bolded?

another scenario. your traveling and want to play some games, sure turn on your portal and buala! your wife, brother, partner etc is using the ps5.

owned.

so no.

Good thing most of us don't have someone playing our PS5 while out of town then.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No. I have no need for it.

If it was a standalone console that let me download games to it, then I might have considered purchasing it. As it stands, it's just a Wii U pad.

What do you mean by the bolded?

Good thing most of us don't have someone playing our PS5 while out of town then.
When PS6 or PS7 comes out, I would not be surprised if they will include some sort of a device to let you play the games on the go. Or the the tech and internet/wi-fi/cloud will get so good that you could play next-gen games on any device in your house whether it be a tablet. laptop, pc, or a phone. Microsoft kind of was doing this with their cloud games, you could play Sea of Thieves on the phone. It wasn't the best experience obviously, but it worked. I am just saying that in 10-20 years from now, it will just be a standard with how good tech will be.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
If I didn't have a Steam Deck, I probably would. But as the remote play via Steam Deck is pretty good, the only benefit for me would be maybe slightly enhanced controls. I still may end up getting one.

Top Bottom