• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

DKL

I feel like either control scheme could work as long as you put the time in.

(but it would take less work if Nintendo just let as assign inputs lol)

Me and a few friends use traditional and two friends use motion. You can theoretically switch between both because of how the joycons work.

There's concerns for both schemes from what I've experienced.

It's hard to do wide throws on traditional. It may be impossible to late curve arms individually, which might be important for zoning.

It's really hard to move around while holding a guard input with motion controls (I'm feeling like this is the best way to move around once the opponent has a super stocked since you shorten the windows where you can get hit randomly).

Learning to return to neutral with motion controls actually does take some work compared to how fast you learn basic movement on pad.

Etc.

TL;DR

Pls let us map the inputs to our preferred style lol

Someone in the thread mentioned buttons and analog for movement, but motion for punches. That sounds great to me.

This is just you projecting your preference for traditional controls. No where has it been proven they're better and no where can you "see" the most "competitive" people use traditional controls either. Just focus on yourself and your experience and stop worrying about other and assuming they're being handicapped just because you don't like their preferred control method. This just comes off as a stealth "motion controls are inferior" post

Actually in my first post I said I thought the motion controls were more fun. My experience was that I had better results with traditional controls, mainly based on superior movement and dodging.

Ultimately, we'll see what happens when the game is in the wild as to what people prefer, especially in competitive settings.

Someone in the thread mentioned buttons and analog for movement, but motion for punches. That sounds great to me.

Based on my experience, that would be the best of both worlds. And based on the people who seemed upset by me wanting separate lobbies for different controls they should support another control option, if it doesn't matter how you're controlling.

Based on my experience, that would be the best of both worlds. And based on the people who seemed upset by me wanting separate lobbies for different controls they should support another control option, if it doesn't matter how you're controlling.

"Upset" is such a strong word for that.

Baffled.
Bewildered.
Dumbfounded.

Any of those would be more accurate.

KingV

I feel like either control scheme could work as long as you put the time in.

(but it would take less work if Nintendo just let as assign inputs lol)

Me and a few friends use traditional and two friends use motion. You can theoretically switch between both because of how the joycons work.

There's concerns for both schemes from what I've experienced.

It's hard to do wide throws on traditional. It may be impossible to late curve arms individually, which might be important for zoning.

It's really hard to move around while holding a guard input with motion controls (I'm feeling like this is the best way to move around once the opponent has a super stocked since you shorten the windows where you can get hit randomly).

Learning to return to neutral with motion controls actually does take some work compared to how fast you learn basic movement on pad.

Etc.

TL;DR

Pls let us map the inputs to our preferred style lol

This would be ideal for me too. Analog for movement, motion for punches.

DrDogg

(actually, one of the first things I'll probably do with the real game is get an excel spread sheet out and map out the possible punishes for each movement option lol)

This would be difficult since range plays a big role in what you can and can't punish. You also have to factor in the Arms your opponent's using and the Arms you're using. A lot of variables go into the punishment system in this game.

People I've played have generally not stood there when waking up and will always go to a mobility option.

(which is kind of funny since you can actually just block... but people don't like blocking in games and would rather mash cr lk on wakeup... I've seen dudes wakeup into active supers in this game because they apparently don't know that you can just hold block on wakeup >_>)

That's the point I'm making though. You can't base your offensive and defensive options on what the average player does. I'm talking about how the game will be played at the highest level. Saying most people don't block on wakeup and basing high level play on that is like saying most Ken players use wakeup DP and basing your strats on that.

I get what you're saying, but I'm only trying to look at this from the highest level of play to know what works and what doesn't, instead of what works against common players and or may not work against good players.

I'm not saying that I'll always guess right, but who does?

If the opponent guesses or reacts to your throw, they can punish you for 200-300 damage without a super. That's a hefty risk.

Who are all these people that can react to point blank throw in this game?

Even at close range I'd guess the fastest throw in the game is probably at least 20 frames. In Tekken most competitive players think you can react to anything that's greater than 17 frames. If you narrow that down to only one option to look out for then you can react much faster.

Wall push in Tekken 4 was 7 frames. Normally you can't react to that even in the best conditions. However, if I knew a wall push was likely to come, I could break it on reaction. If I can break a 7-frame wall push I can interrupt a potentially 20 frame throw in Arms.

If I'm knocked down, the only way you can damage me is by throwing me on wakeup. If I'm doing everything I can to avoid taking damage, I get up blocking, ready to punch you if I see the beginning of that throw animation. If you do anything other than throw, I simply remain blocking. It won't happen all the time, but you're taking more of a risk than I am.

You're in this theoretical world where S1 Chun-li is busted because of insta air legs in perfect execution, but Mika getting a random clap in is what bops most people in pools (or in top 32 :v).

I'm basing all of this on what I'm personally capable of. I can already react to throws from the mid-range. If I'm knocked down and a throw is their only option, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to react to it.

So I see no reason how attacking first can be detrimental considering the options available to all the players.

Attacking first is always more detrimental to playing defensively.
- From a distance you can attack first and I'm probably too far away to punish, but I'll still evade.
- From the mid-range you can attack first and more often than not I will punish you for it or we'll break even, trading punches with no damage dealt.
- From close range if you guess right and catch a dash, you get a hit by attacking first. If you guess wrong, I don't dash until I see you punch, or I evade in any other manner, you lose 200-300 health.

(and you're not necessarily at a disadvantage for throwing something out there... for example, bird arm will retract quickly even on whiff and this is before considering the idea that you can cancel the majority of recovery and not get bopped if your spacing is not horrible... having read your posts, it honestly feels like you're saying that people are always at a disadvantage when throwing a random limb out because you can theoretically be punished, but people aren't this godlike 100% of the time)

You're always at a disadvantage when attacking first. The only question is whether or not the other player is in a position to take advantage of that. If you attack me with the fastest Arm in the game and I dodge, if I'm close enough I can punish you. Even across the map, you're still technically at a disadvantage, I'm just not in a position to capitalize on that.

Love the lobby system but I don't like the mode switch so much. Just want to play normal 1v1. Ther other modes are mostly annoying.

I agree with this. While I don't mind V-ball and all of that, I really just want to play 1v1. When the game launches I'll be in ranked mode unless I'm testing out new Arms/characters.

I don't know, I'd like a dedicated 1v1 room more but perhaps there is something like that in the final version. I know there is ranked mode but that isn't something I'd like to play all the time only to have a lot of 1v1s.

Aside from private rooms, there's no way to go into Party Mode and only play 1v1. Party Mode in the full game is basically what you got in the two Testpunch periods:
- 1v1
- 1v1v1
- 2v2
- Skillshot
- V-Ball
- Hoops
- Hedlock Battle

Plus you get handicaps for winning in the real game.

They really just need to remove 1v1v1. Even 2v2, I sort of started getting use to, besides the lock-on switching woes, but 1v1v1 is just nonsense. Strangely, even when there were 3 of us remaining out of matches, the game never put us into one of those matches in the latter 2 testpunch sessions

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
They really just need to remove 1v1v1. Even 2v2, I sort of started getting use to, besides the lock-on switching woes, but 1v1v1 is just nonsense. Strangely, even when there were 3 of us remaining out of matches, the game never put us into one of those matches in the latter 2 testpunch sessions
Maybe they could improve 2v2 with a little bit of tweaking. Hell with 1v1v1 and I'll reserve my judgement about 1v1v1v1 since it wasn't in the testpunch.

How do you change who you're auto targetting? Is there a way to do that?

If you're using motion controls, it's the top button on the left joycon "dpad". But I think it switches if someone hits you or something. It's odd and annoying. Not to mention, your only indication of who you're facing is which way the character's head is tilted, which is useless when both opponents are close to one another

DrDogg

How do you change who you're auto targetting? Is there a way to do that?

On controller it's the right analog stick.

Maybe they could improve 2v2 with a little bit of tweaking. Hell with 1v1v1 and I'll reserve my judgement about 1v1v1v1 since it wasn't in the testpunch.

I have yet to see 1v1v1v1 and I've been in lobbies with a good 8 players or so.

If you're using motion controls, it's the top button on the left joycon "dpad". But I think it switches if someone hits you or something. It's odd and annoying. Not to mention, you're only indication of who you're facing is which way the character's head is tilted, which is useless when both opponents are close to one another

As far as I can tell it seems to switch your target after your original target is knocked down. However that's handled it's definitely annoying. Ideally it wouldn't switch targets until I want to switch, and there would be some sort of icon or indicator as to which character I'm targeting.

As far as I can tell it seems to switch your target after your original target is knocked down. However that's handled it's definitely annoying. Ideally it wouldn't switch targets until I want to switch, and there would be some sort of icon or indicator as to which character I'm targeting.

I tries to be "smart" when no one asked it to be. And yeah, I remember other 3d fighting games have very clear target indicators.
czwhx.jpg

In addition they need to make team colors WAAAAY clearer. I can sometimes not tell who my teammate is because the coloring is so subtle. It needs to be like Smash where it's very obvious who's your teammate, like in this game (couldn't find a clearer pic on google)

Is there a way to switch from using the two Joycons as separate controllers back to using it as one and then vice versa?

I had a friend play with me on Saturday but we only had a pair. We used the joycons separately when we were both playing but I wanted to switch to using them as pairs when it was just one of us playing but couldn't figure out how.

TheMoon

yes I'm sure it seems so, but I'd prefer a level playing field.

Imagine for MK8 you love the motion controls and want to play competitively. You can do it sure, but few people do because the other control scheme is superior. Yet when you play with motion controls you are forced to play against the other control scheme. Granted, it looks as if a higher % of people like the motion controls in ARMS, but from what I've seen the most competitive people will be using traditional controllers.

this is all just happening in your head.

if you're good, you're good.

TheMoon

You shut your face! I love 1v1v1!

It's all mindgames.

LotusHD

Banned

Eh, we just feel like you care way too much about something that's not really an issue.

Totakeke

When you have a target goal to win the party room (i.e. first to reach 100 coins), 1v1v1 gets far more interesting. Yes you get double teamed when you're far ahead, but that's part of the game.

When you have a target goal to win the party room (i.e. first to reach 100 coins), 1v1v1 gets far more interesting. Yes you get double teamed when you're far ahead, but that's part of the game.

I dunno, I feel like while 2D games, like Smash adequately enable a much better player to be double teamed a 3D game like ARMS doesn't. Your moves are too slow, deliberate and clearly made with 1v1 in mind to handle multiple people attacking you at the same time

Totakeke

I dunno, I feel like while 2D games, like Smash adequately enable a much better player to be double teamed a 3D game like ARMS doesn't. Your moves are too slow, deliberate and clearly made with 1v1 in mind to handle multiple people attacking you at the same time

I won't disagree that attacking two players is difficult, but evading them both while getting them to hit each other is doable. Your movement is actually pretty fast in this game. Also, I think you're just talking about Smash, because evading attacks in 2D fighting games like SF is generally pretty difficult compared to a 3D space.

DKL

This would be difficult since range plays a big role in what you can and can't punish. You also have to factor in the Arms your opponent's using and the Arms you're using. A lot of variables go into the punishment system in this game.

We were dicking around and, at certain ranges and closer, it actually is pretty possible to punish stuff if you make the appropriate counter movement even after the punch travel time consideration (assuming the person doesn't push buttons, which is another factor since there will be the durability stuff to consider at this point).

I was mostly surprised that we could even punish Ninjara counter move consistently at one point (like, this is from holding block and then mashing dash), but the windows is pretty tight and it seems like counter move back dash is the safest option... but this involves giving up some positioning, which you may or may not be able to afford at certain points.

That's the point I'm making though. You can't base your offensive and defensive options on what the average player does. I'm talking about how the game will be played at the highest level. Saying most people don't block on wakeup and basing high level play on that is like saying most Ken players use wakeup DP and basing your strats on that.
I get what you're saying, but I'm only trying to look at this from the highest level of play to know what works and what doesn't, instead of what works against common players and or may not work against good players.

To be honest, we're both kinda veering off into theory land since the game isn't even out yet.

Once they start rolling out competitive footage in a few months, we'll see for sure, but I highly doubt the best players are gonna be people who, by default, never throw something out first.

(actually, can you whiff punches in this game to build meter? I didn't check, but having super, which can be brought into subsequent rounds, is really powerful and you can put people on notice once you have it)

Someone eventually has to do something at some point in the match. Their guess may or may not be rewarded depending on how in the head of the opponent they are.

My concern with your line of thought is the idea that whoever attacks second and gets the first hit is always guaranteed to win at high level because they'll play solid enough for 99 seconds to keep the life lead, but this actually makes no sense since this also implies that people can actually turtle up and somehow get out of the throw/punch mixup 100% of the time to keep that life lead.

(do regular arms do chip damage? I haven't really looked at the zoning stuff yet)

I guess what I'm saying is that it feels like you're associating high level play with absolutes, but people aren't robots even if they're top tier players lol

But then, I'm implying that the community around the game will actually grow enough to see high level and god knows if it will if it has a lot of baggage going in lol

I'm not saying that defensive will not be viable and all people are doing will be rushdown, but offense isn't too bad of a playstyle to reach into if you figure your opponent out. Having a fluid playstyle is pretty important in any game, I think.

If the opponent guesses or reacts to your throw, they can punish you for 200-300 damage without a super. That's a hefty risk.

I guess I wasn't clear. Throw isn't the only movement punishment option. Of course I'm gonna go with a punch here and there depending on how risky it feels. Throw is only if you really really know and want the mental advantage of having punished a movement option with it.

Even at close range I'd guess the fastest throw in the game is probably at least 20 frames. In Tekken most competitive players think you can react to anything that's greater than 17 frames. If you narrow that down to only one option to look out for then you can react much faster.

Here's the thing: movement options and even the orientation is pretty different in this game. I feel that there's sufficient randomization to cause people to flinch and choose the wrong option on defense (also, steering... I was still kind of surprised at how much one player I played with was able to steer their throw, though their problem is that they leaned too much into the one option), but I guess we won't know for sure until tournaments get played.

Attacking first is always more detrimental to playing defensively.
- From a distance you can attack first and I'm probably too far away to punish, but I'll still evade.
- From the mid-range you can attack first and more often than not I will punish you for it or we'll break even, trading punches with no damage dealt.
- From close range if you guess right and catch a dash, you get a hit by attacking first. If you guess wrong, I don't dash until I see you punch, or I evade in any other manner, you lose 200-300 health.

Assuming a player goes in with charged punch (which is another reason why getting knocked down is sort of a blowup: it gives the person standing enough time to get a charge going), there shouldn't be a huge damage differential since they can choose to forego throw and tag you with the electric – throw combo or whatever too.

But, really, all this discussion does hinge on whether or not throw/punch mixup will be strong enough to overcome someone who chooses to take their turn second. We don't really know yet, but I don't want to assume something isn't viable unless people have played long enough to prove otherwise.

You're always at a disadvantage when attacking first.

Like I said, you can say that about any FG. It's theoretically possible to punish Robert's whiffed st B/lk/whatever with super (I've seen the AI do it lol), but it's not what always ends up happening.

Someone has to throw something out at some point in the match and it's entirely possible that they guess correctly and will do so the entire match, regardless if the match is played at "low" or "high" level. We'd like to assume that Arms isn't too strenuous on reactions and whatever, but we're at like -2 to -3 weeks in the meta that may or may not go anywhere depending on how much people play.

If you're using motion controls, it's the top button on the left joycon "dpad". But I think it switches if someone hits you or something. It's odd and annoying. Not to mention, your only indication of who you're facing is which way the character's head is tilted, which is useless when both opponents are close to one another

I think I remember testing it and it seems like, coming out of the recovery of an animation, you can put up a guard input faster than the time it takes to change targets, which is really fucking stupid.

EDIT: Actually, this might not be accurate and I might just be derping... regardless, waiting for recovery to change targets is pretty awful when you should be able to just do this on the fly.

I also don't like how the lockon deprioritizes when your target gets knocked down.

They honestly need to fix how targeting works and just make it something independent of animations/states or whatever since it might be what fucks up the pretty interesting 2v2 mode >_>

Cush

As a total aside, I was watching the NBA Finals last night using the Watch ABC app, and they showed the ARMS commercial during the first half, IIRC. Did anyone see if the commercial aired on the television broadcast? That would be a pretty big ad buy by Nintendo if so.

ASIS

DrDogg, please stop dragging the game down, lol.

In all seriousness. I can see all your comments being true. The test punches weren't enough to determine either way but I could see a lot of what you're talking about. The thing is, even with this knowledge I got some people who kicked my ass in the game. So I still feel like there is a lot more to learn, and that it is too early to say. However, you may be right.

I hope they add more mechanics to a sequel if it ever comes. One thing that i am 100% sure of is that the base mechanics are some of the most fun I've had in a while.

Was surprised to hear Nintendo nabbed an ad during the NBA showing. Hopefully means they're going to continue being serious with their marketing push and that the superbowl ad wasn't a fluke.

DrDogg, please stop dragging the game down, lol.

In all seriousness. I can see all your comments being true. The test punches weren't enough to determine either way but I could see a lot of what you're talking about. The thing is, even with this knowledge I got some people who kicked my ass in the game. So I still feel like there is a lot more to learn, and that it is too early to say. However, you may be right.

I hope they add more mechanics to a sequel if it ever comes. One thing that i am 100% sure of is that the base mechanics are some of the most fun I've had in a while.

It's hard to say really but I do think this game on a high skill base is going to lead to a lot more defense playing and a lot less KOs. I played all the test punch time so thats like 10-15hours of gameplay.

The character that I picked was Min Min, and I was using double ram ram. I played mostly offense and tried to get as closed as possible. This set up destroyed pretty much every player in test punch. However, I did lost to one twintelle who slowed down all my attacks perfectly and I couldn't hit her at all. It got to the point where I had to play complete defense and wait until she air dodged and use her special. I manage to hit her a few times but she pretty much slowed down every single attack I did.

Another twintelle player also beat me in the last testpunch on the spring stage. This person also dodged every single move I did and played complete defense. However, this player literally was staying on the springs and was just waiting for me to attack. I tried distancing and getting close and nothing worked because she would slow down my attacks then counter. It was only when I realized that the only way to attack her is when she was about to hit the springboard where she has a small window of vulnerability.
I still lost the match because the timer ran out and I had less health.

But, I did fought her again in the ramen-bowl stage, and I did beat her while playing offense. The only reason why I did beat her was because I timed my attacks better and only attack after she used her special. But yea the most challenging matches I had in this game is when the other player plays full-on defense and they never attack first.

Everyone complaining about Ninjara and he's not even top 2!

It's the teleport-grab cheese that's responsible for both. Memorable because it's hard to deal with when you're starting out. Also painfully stupid because there's like 16 ways to counter it in spectacular fashion.

D.Lo

It's the teleport-grab cheese that's responsible for both. Memorable because it's hard to deal with when you're starting out. Also painfully stupid because there's like 16 ways to counter it in spectacular fashion.
I got angry at myself every time I fell for it.

Won all my lobbies with my girl Ribbon. Ribbonista!

Dystify

Oh man that's bad news. I hope they don't nerf her. I only played Ribbon Girl the past weekend. I almost never lost. Dashing and jumping around is just so effective (and also fun).

But I think once you get used to playing against her it's not quite as bad. I think it takes time to figure out how to play vs most of the fighters though.

Top Bottom