• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

ced

I'm only trying this one because they supposedly changed up some things such as stealth and mission design, this better not suck.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Okay, so do we know anything for sure about PS4 performance? Because I've been hearing some pretty worrying shit. Has me reconsidering purchase. I wanted to preload while at work today, but now... idk.

Zafir

Anyone know which region is getting it first on Origin? Don't fancy waiting for the UK one on Friday... >.>

US seemed to be 8am tomorrow.

Kezen

Banned
Well you have really low expections. Why exactly do you expect your system to not hit 60 FPS at all time at these settings? It's a absolute high end PC you probably invested hell a lot of money in that thing
Over time yes, but that's the price to pay for PC gaming at more or less max settings. It has always been so, and I certainly don't want PC games to become less demanding.
My expectations are realistic I think. You don't seem to realize how taxing above mentioned features are, it's incredibly easy to bring any capable PCs to their knees. If I wanted, I could make my GTX 780 beg for mercy. My 780 isn't a supercomputer of some sort, it's a 2013 high end GPU with not enough VRAM. I know what I bought so no disappointment on my part, if I genuinely wanted an uncompromised 60fps experience I would have invested in a multi GPU setup or a absolutely top of the line GPU.
I did neither therefore I can't realistically expect 60fps locked in a demanding game with every single settings maxed. PC gaming is about knowing your hardware, its strenghs and weaknesses. Also, the PC API is not the best when it comes to multithreading so straight off 60fps (again, I'm not talking about PS4/XBO equivalent settings) is going to be an exceedingly hard target to hit, 60fps at console LOD should be much easier obviously but if the pop-in is too distracting I'll take the wild path and put up with framedrops to the 30s.

there's no reason to believe it will run only at 50 FPS. Even when its a unoptimized Ubisoft like port, you have enough raw power to keep 60 FPS all the time.
No, needless to be a soothsayer to tell this is flat out false. You're free to set yourself up for disappointment and blindly accuse Ubisoft of amateurism, I prefer to err on the side of pragmatism.

And to be honest... the game is not a looker. Only good thing is the lighting in doors and draw distance. There are many low res textures, the NPCs are looking similar to each other. That doesn't screem Next Gen to me
Textures could be more detailed but given that the game is tailored around console tech I can understand they had to trade fidelity for scope. The game looks great in my eyes, I can't think of another open world game looking this good.

garath

I opted for Farcry 4 instead of this for the nvidia promo but still have my eye on this if the PC performance is there. I have a 2500k @ 4.2ghz and a 970 so I'd expect pretty good performance but who knows with Ubi.

nikos

After shaking off the parity salt, I've decided to pick this up tomorrow. I'm actually really excited for it. Hopefully it doesn't feel stale. Haven't been able to complete an AC since AC2.

MayMay

Banned
So no one has a PC retail copy yet? I almost can't believe that, especially seeing as the game's already up on torrent sites. I just want to know wether or not it's already playable or if they block you from activating it until release. You never know with Uplay. I guess the lack of impressions means that you can't activate it, but I havent seen anyone on the whole Internet even mention that they have a PC retail copy so I dont know.

SilentFlyer

I'm still stuck between getting the X1 or PS4 versions. The PS4 probably runs better but I like the X1 controller a lot more.

I'm on the same boat. On eBay downloadable code (AC:U and Black Flag) for XB1 is being sold for less than $45 but on PS4 its performance which would probably be stable compared to XB1 but I would have to spend $70 for it.

Still undecided.

cripterion

Clever thread title but doesn't really apply if you're a pc gamer :) Even then, I very much doubt the games runs the same on both consoles, is the DF article coming soon?
"Res Miserables" was a nice title lol.

Hoping to get my key soon so I can start the preload. So many games coming out so many GB to download!

Kezen

Banned
So no one has a PC retail copy yet? I almost can't believe that, especially seeing as the game's already up on torrent sites. I just want to know wether or not it's already playable or if they block you from activating it until release. You never know with Uplay. I guess the lack of impressions means that you can't activate it, but I havent seen anyone on the whole Internet even mention that they have a PC retail copy so I dont know.

Retail copies can be activated before the official release date unlike Steamworks for instance. So anyone with a legit copy of Unity can play, stores near my location aren't selling the PC version yet (yes I woke up at 8 AM to check).

MayMay

Banned
Retail copies can be activated before the official release date unlike Steamworks for instance. So anyone with a legit copy of Unity can play, stores near my location aren't selling the PC version yet (yes I woke up at 8 AM to check).

Shiiet, if thats true then.. damn. My store said Ill be able to pick up my copy in 30 minutes lol. I cancelled my Origin pre-order for that.. really hope I won't get a "hey sry bud, gotta wait till tuesday/thursday". I know you could activate WD before release, but they might've patched that..

Kezen

Banned
Shiiet, if thats true then.. damn. My store said Ill be able to pick up my copy in 30 minutes lol. I cancelled my Origin pre-order for that.. really hope I won't get a "hey sry bud, gotta wait till tuesday/thursday". I know you could activate WD before release, but they might've patched that..

So as long as it's a legit copy you won't be banned. No worries to have.

MayMay

Banned
So as long as it's a legit copy you won't be banned. No worries to have.

Yea, it's not about being banned. Its more about being able to activate it/launch it - seeing as the digital pre-orders on Uplay can't be played, for example. Oh well.. Ill know later. lol

I managed to get a free copy of this with my GTX970. I'm extremely curious how this thing runs on PC. My new machine is way beyond the recommended so let's see if it's at least brute forcible.

iNvid02

Later, in fact. Projects confidence, does it not?

this was debunked on the bombcast, they said embargos have been set to release day for years (in the digital age) and you usually only have to worry when they dont even bother sending out review copies.

I have one of those nVidia choose your game codes and I am holding out to see how Unity shapes up both on the game play front and the performance front.

I am guessing 7's and some 8's with maybe a 9's from websites I have never heard of. I'd rather get some money for the code if that is the case. Not that those numbers are bad; I just want it to be something a bit special if I am going to bother.

Edit: Just noticed the title. Very good!

What if AC Rogue ends up being better?

I mean, its single player only, they know and are used to the older platforms and engine much more. Shouldn't it be more plausible for them to craft a better campaign than Unity with its gameplay divided into story, and co-op? on a new platform with new graphics?

I have a feeling Rogue might be the game that surprises us despite the outdated graphics. I really hope Unity is cool thou!

Arun1910

I mean, its single player only, they know and are used to the older platforms and engine much more. Shouldn't it be more plausible for them to craft a better campaign than Unity with its gameplay divided into story, and co-op? on a new platform with new graphics?

I have a feeling Rogue might be the game that surprises us despite the outdated graphics. I really hope Unity is cool thou!

I honestly have more hope in Rogues story, seems more interesting.

For Unity I am scared due to the fact that I don't think Ubi can write a good love story.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

It actually seems pretty likely to me that Rogue will be better.

Kinthalis

Banned
So I guess my 1.4gb gtx570 will not cut it? Have an i7 though 8thread 3.4ghz though :p

A 570 SHOULD give you abotu PS4 levels of performance, assuming Ubi didn't fuck things up. I would wait for performance numebrs, but unless you're veyr picky, I woudl assume about PS4 levels of performance to be "cutting it".

Teletraan1

Banned
My 670 is just below the cut on this game even though it is overclocked to hell and back and would outperform a 680.

I cant wait to see the CPU usage graph on this game. I want to see if it is at all like Black Flag where it just hammers core 0 and you get 15-20% usage across all other cores. It will make that i7 recommendation all the more ridiculous.

Neither is Origin apparently and the game goes live at midnight.

Steam's saying that NA gets it at 2PM EST tomorrow. Is Origin earlier?

I wonder NA can't get any preloading at all, whether it be a Uplay, Steam, or Origin preorder... I'm kinda miffed about this. I wanted to both be able to preload and play it at midnight tonight, would have been okay with at least one of the two (I would've been able to go to bed on time and then wake up and play it in the morning), but got neither.

If this happens with Far Cry 4 too, Ubisoft won't be seeing my money next year until its games are <$30.

Corgi

Banned
oh yeah, isn't this the first game in the series that allows you to have spears as a permanent weapon vs just something you can pick up from enemies and use temporary before?

How do weapon types factor in this, or is sword still the best?

Kinthalis

Banned
Not terribly well considering it is a fair bit weaker than the minimum spec. This is of course assuming the minimum spec isn't exaggerated.

It has to be. Either Ubisoft done screwed something up, the PC version is significantly superior to the consoles, or the minimum are really (we dont' want to officially support anything less than this) inflated.

I'd take the last option as most likely followed by the first, I doubt the second, it'll look and run better on good a hardware on PC, but it's not going to be a last gen/current gen difference.

Kezen

Banned
A 570 SHOULD give you abotu PS4 levels of performance, assuming Ubi didn't fuck things up. I would wait for performance numebrs, but unless you're veyr picky, I woudl assume about PS4 levels of performance to be "cutting it".

I'm not sure of that. A 570 is a fair bit weaker than a 7850/7870 and with more straighforward access to the hardware the PS4 will outdo both, a 570 will not cut it IMO.
A much safer bet for PS4 quality at 1080p is a R9 280 with 3GB of VRAM.
A 680 with 4 could do significantly better but not with 2GB.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I heard they improved the parkour/jumping stuff. This true?

They've changed the parkour system so that there's a 'parkour up' and 'parkour down' button. The latter is so that you can easily and quickly move down the side of a building without falling or having to find a hay bale to jump into.

Subject16

I have a question. How do we equip weapons? We do it in the pause menu, or we must go to the Cafe Theater and equip it from there?

ymgve

Wasn't the game removed from Steam?

And then they brought it back everywhere apart from the UK. No one has a clue what happened.

(Besides, it wasn't removed from people's game libraries, only from the store page so it couldn't be bought anymore)

orava

Nvidia delivers day one sli profile.

wPdwmKo.gif

Redhood

I am more worried about it running at all due to min 2gb vram. Lets see.

My 670 is just below the cut on this game even though it is overclocked to hell and back and would outperform a 680.

I cant wait to see the CPU usage graph on this game. I want to see if it is at all like Black Flag where it just hammers core 0 and you get 15-20% usage across all other cores. It will make that i7 recommendation all the more ridiculous.

I would bet a lot that is the case again.

At this point I am pretty much set on avoiding this game, only an excellent PC version would make me think otherwise. I want something to show off my 970 SLI system. But I am almost sure this will not be the game for it.

Top Bottom