• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

I would rather have a game with a lower general level of detail than one with such blatantly obvious and distracting level of detail transitions.

This game is where ambitions meet reality like a speeding car with no brakes meets a tree.

DOWN

Banned
The music is my favorite yet in the series. It's so gorgeous and gives the most lush and emotional atmosphere. Sorry Kyd enthusiasts. He has some great ones, but much of it felt like it was a companion to the game and not a musical character of its own in the way Unity's score stands out in perfect fashion with the scenes as it is called forward.

Nicktendo86

Eurgh. The amount of buildings/size if the city is impressive but it looks so bland, climbing on top of a tall building, pressing a button to synchronise, watch a video of identically coloured rooftops like all other AC games. Proceed to climb down, find a load of animation issues as the character appears to float and miss the ledges. Run through a street, tons of pop in with NPS and even flags!

I just don't get it.

Eurgh. The amount of buildings/size if the city is impressive but it looks so bland, climbing on top of a tall building, pressing a button to synchronise, watch a video of identically coloured rooftops like all other AC games. Proceed to climb down, fond a load of animation ittues as the character appears to float and miss the ledges. Run through a street, tons of pop in with NPS and even flags!

I just don't get it.

Someone high up at ubi Montreal who couldn't be told no by anyone clearly pushed this through to retail without being made aware of or ignoring the limitations and immersion breaking side effects.

I bet all the artists were pissed ad how distracting it was but were powerless to do anything.

Why not just introduce a layer of fog, turok n64 style?

ZeroX03

Banned
Here's some free roam pop in. I'm going to stop recording and try and enjoy this game now but it's tough. And this is coming from someone who like AC3.

Also I haven't really talked about the story, but so far it's not terrible but the pacing is way off. It's like they so desperately wanted to avoid AC3's opening sequences - which absolutely dragged to be fair - by absolutely speeding through major plot points. It gets you through the action faster but the emotional beats aren't given a chance to land.

Caffer

Neo Member
I cannot start the game even in my us account.. It shows 1d 10h until ready.. Restoring licenses didn't work, what should I do? I hoped to get to play early on my eu account but I was sure to be able at least to try it on my us one...
Rebuilding database now :/

DOWN

Banned
Someone high up at ubi Montreal who couldn't be told no by anyone clearly pushed this through to retail without being made aware of or ignoring the limitations and immersion breaking side effects.

I bet all the artists were pissed ad how distracting it was but were powerless to do anything.

Why not just introduce a layer of fog, turok n64 style?
Wow I am so glad you had nothing to do with this game. Obvious fog to hide draw distance and low detail is worse than the low detail.

Camper182

I cannot start the game even in my us account.. It shows 1d 10h until ready.. Restoring licenses didn't work, what should I do? I hoped to get to play early on my eu account but I was sure to be able at least to try it on my us one...
Rebuilding database now :/

There is a bug with preloading games on PS4 sometimes, try downloading the game again (i know it's a pain in the ass, but it fixed the problem for me for Diablo 3 and Destiny

So the initiate golden treasure chests can't be opened. Says server connection issues.

What are in these treasure chests and are they important or is it just cosmetic coop crap?

thelastword

Banned
Assassin's Creed embargos are always noon on launch day, has never stopped them from being received well.
Well, never really followed an assassin creed's launch since the first one. It's a popular series no doubt, but then; this one has been riddled with so much negative vibes and so far the launch product doesn't seem to be quelling that negativity in any way. You can try for an ambitious game but if everything does not go right you can have a total mess on your hand, it's all about finding the right balance, something Ubi should really learn.

Anyway, eager to read the reactions of the media towards this game.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Assassin's Creed embargos are always noon on launch day, has never stopped them from being received well.

I have a hunch that this time it's going to be different. Can't wait for DF to reveal what a mess the game is. The amount of pop-in and problems with sub-par fps I've seen in streams is ridiculous.

DOWN

Banned
I have a hunch that this time it's going to be different. Can't wait for DF to reveal what a mess the game is. The amount of pop-in and problems with sub-par fps I've seen in streams is ridiculous.
Uh that doesn't make it bad. Mass Effect had junk tech and was a masterpiece. Unity is gorgeous and very playable, despite optimization issues.

DrBo42

I kinda want to just shelve it in the hope that a patch will alleviate the issues in the coming weeks. Can't believe I'm actually at this point but I want to enjoy the game and these issues are making it tough for me personally.

MayMay

Banned
Compared the game to the old alpha screens that leaked (quick and dirty), yup. Thats a big difference lol. Picked a shitty time of day though.

73b0586510.jpg

dex3108

I really want to hear opinion about game from GAF but without technical talk i know that game is problematic on that field.

Got to play about a half hour this morning on PS4, through the first small sequence with adult Arno.

First impressions were that the graphics were really good. All of the indoor stuff with kid Arno looks fantastic.

Adult Arno section... the performance while free running in the city....yikes. I'm usually not that sensitive to framerate with console games, but it was extremely obvious is was dipping well below 30fps for what felt like most of the time.

It feels like the current gen hardware can't handle the amount of NPCs they were going for. I'm sure I haven't even seen some of the more densely populated areas yet either.

It made free running and climbing feel pretty janky with the framerate being so inconsistent. I gotta believe when DF does their analysis we are going to see a bunch of low 20s, maybe even possibly teens at times.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Compared the game to the old alpha screens that leaked (quick and dirty), yup. Thats a big difference lol. Picked a shitty time of day though.
These pictures should always be used for reference whenever someone criticizes a next gen game's visuals a year before release. Marketing alphas/betas like the Destiny beta are seemingly making people forget what actual alphas and betas are like. >.>

DrBo42

I really want to hear opinion about game from GAF but without technical talk i know that game is problematic on that field.

Combat feels improved, a better pace of attack and defend rather than just going balls out (at least early game, not sure how OP you become later on). Makes taking out as many people as you can stealth or through hit and run tactics more important. Traversal is kind of a mixed bag. Controlled descent is definitely a plus but with the parkour up and regular free run there's quite a lot of unintentional movement and even some walls or fences (mostly fences) that don't respond to a climbing input consistently. Haven't made it to a main assassination yet but I did try a two player co-op mission. Felt open and could be tackled from multiple angles, definitely a nice addition. There's a lot to like in Unity if you can force yourself past how it performs and how the sluggish fps affects your inputs.

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone know how to get whistling? Being asked to do three kills from cover and it's really hard to draw enemies attention without it.

ah okay after some experimentation you have to use cherry bombs.

dex3108

Combat feels improved, a better pace of attack and defend rather than just going balls out (at least early game, not sure how OP you become later on). Makes taking out as many people as you can stealth or through hit and run tactics more important. Traversal is kind of a mixed bag. Controlled descent is definitely a plus but with the parkour up and regular free run there's quite a lot of unintentional movement and even some walls or fences (mostly fences) that don't respond to a climbing input consistently. Haven't made it to a main assassination yet but I did try a two player co-op mission. Felt open and could be tackled from multiple angles, definitely a nice addition. There's a lot to like in Unity if you can force yourself past how it performs and how the sluggish fps affects your inputs.

Tnx for answer :D

Also question for Durante: Is it possible that new GI that they are using is problematic and to demanding? If we add bunch of NPC-s to that rendering should be really demanding.

Fry

I'm only buying this if reviews are very favorable. I can't buy an AC game every year.

I really want this to be good but I don't think it'll be groundbreaking.

ZeroX03

Banned
You can't anymore :/

It's so annoying, it seems cherry bombs will get you straight up alerted if you use them too close. But their lure range is still pretty short.

Also what the fuck at this game locking old AC abilities behind skills? Guard breaking, ranged weapons, money throw, blending and (air) double assassinations need to bought with Assassin points or whatever before you can use them.

Would it be possible for them to patch in a crowd number cap or something to improve the frame rate.

Yes, but there are plenty of situations where the framerate tanks without huge crowds.

Framerate is a huge issue.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game so far. It has a fantastic atmosphere and story wise this has been the most interesting Ass Creed since 2 for me. This finally feels like a proper sequel both in story and in gameplay. The protagonist is great as well. I agree with the people saying his a bit more like a French Ezio, but I'm not complaining.

The city layout is great for traversal. Something that was sorely missing from the last two games.

If framerate isn't an issue for you, pick it up.

dex3108

Framerate is a huge issue.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game so far. It has a fantastic atmosphere and story wise this has been the most interesting Ass Creed since 2 for me. This finally feels like a proper sequel both in story and in gameplay. The protagonist is great as well. I agree with the people saying his a bit more like a French Ezio, but I'm not complaining.

The city layout is great for traversal as well. Something that was sorely missing from the last two games.

If framerate isn't an issue for you, pick it up.

Tnx i own game for some time now i am just waiting GMG to send me my code :D Also i don't have any issue playing game on 30FPS that i hope i will get with settings tweaking and additional patches.

Lakitu

st5fu
So, how are the assassination missions? Are they as important as the ones in the first two games or just side story stuff?

Top Bottom