• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Unity patch mistakenly 39gb on X1, no ETA on fix

Petrae

Anyone bandwidth capped is so screwed this gen.

A big reason why I'm skipping Gen8. Console gaming has become too data-heavy, and I don't want to be forced to decide between downloading a patch or streaming something that I want to watch online.

freefornow

Oh Ubisoft. Cant even get a patch right.

Please dont support Ubisoft games.
I don't want to support them, but Far Cry 4 wins me over.

But yeah, for those of us who have to manage their download allowance or have high download costs, this is a slap in the face.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You are probably being forced to download one of the developers family vacation photos to Isle of Man.

Is there a thread that summarises all of Ubisoft's fuck ups this year? I keep trying to remember them all but I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

How many more will there be before 2015?

MxQu1wC.jpg

How does the XB1 patching system work? Does it allow for incremental updates or is it like launch PS4 where every update redownloads every previous update? The OP makes it sound like the issue is the patching system MS employs.
There is a work around if you uninstall and reinstall the game disc. It should give you the proper patch size then. Digital owners are out of luck without borrowing the disc from a friend.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh my god, it's like this game is some sort of surreal new-age experiment to see how much abuse a consumer will put up with.

EvB

How does the XB1 patching system work? Does it allow for incremental updates or is it like launch PS4 where every update redownloads every previous update? The OP makes it sound like the issue is the patching system MS employs.

Digital purchases come pre patched and disc versions will prompt to download all new data as a single combined file

Don't patches go through MS and Sony's QA process?

Very much so.

But the Microsoft patch experience is a god damn headache. They have a lot of rules for what can be patched. It was more strict on the Xbox 360, though. Trying to update an xex to expect the new DLC, even if you haven't downloaded it yet? That required careful planning.

For the XB1 they kind of just opened the floodgates. No game has really been patched as much, it's just Ubisoft getting a lot of the flak. Remember the 13GB Dead Rising 3 patch? Or the 20GB day one 'patch' for MCC?

Heck, when you first install a game on the Xbox One, it also adds the patch on to the end of that install/download.

The whole console install/update process is a clusterfuck.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That NPC warp effect that was already in the game but someone decided to make a misleading thread title because they don't own the game is quite a feat.
FTFY, and yea, I feel bad for xb1 owners, no idea how they could've messed up with the xb1 patch.

10 studios, next gen 40 gig patches!!! A world you will want to just fall into!!! I would love to see them rethink the assembly line bullshit they are spewing out ... hell I even like Unity when it works but this is putting me off buying any Ubi title before the public gets their hands on it. I miss the Ubi that gave us the Sands of Time trilogy. They won't learn from this either. I hope they don't get too much of their stink on Rainbow Six any more than they have.

rob305

The same thing happened to me with FIFA 15 a couple of months ago after not playing for a while. I think I skipped a patch and then tried downloading the latest patch and it downloaded the whole game again. Might be something on MS side and not ubi

see5harp

Seriously. Compare this gen with last gens 1 MB 360 updates. Shit is pathetic. There should be no limit to a patch size or cost associated with updating but sometimes I think that cert requirement was beneficial last gen. Devs don't deserve your money when they release bullshit like this. Get gamefly accounts, use red box, and buy games when they are on sale.

BibiMaghoo

Am I the only one concerned that the expected patch is 6.7 Gigabytes?

No, but when games are averaging 40-50Gb, and files need to be replaced rather than altered, they are going to be 'big' by last gens standards. Few games reached the size of current gen.

calder

Bwahahahaha.

God I hate myself for buying Unity. I played maybe 90 minutes of it the day it came out, then tried it again last night for a few minutes after the patch (although bugs/performance wasn't why I barely played it, boredom was) and shut it off and played some more GTA instead.

Very much so.

But the Microsoft patch experience is a god damn headache. They have a lot of rules for what can be patched. It was more strict on the Xbox 360, though. Trying to update an xex to expect the new DLC, even if you haven't downloaded it yet? That required careful planning.

For the XB1 they kind of just opened the floodgates. No game has really been patched as much, it's just Ubisoft getting a lot of the flak. Remember the 13GB Dead Rising 3 patch? Or the 20GB day one 'patch' for MCC?

Heck, when you first install a game on the Xbox One, it also adds the patch on to the end of that install/download.

The whole console install/update process is a clusterfuck.

could this be a problematic holdover from the original XB1 vision where always online was forced?

Oppo

you guys thought they were being disingenuous when they said it would be too hard to add female playable characters.

I sortbof believe them now.

Own the digital version? You're shit outta luck son.

http://kotaku.com/6-7gb-assassins-creed-unity-patch-issued-to-fix-framera-1671872114

What a goddamn joke this release has been. I really hope that people are taking this in and won't fall for the same shitshow when they reveal the next Assassins in 2015.

After the Assassin's Creed Bundle being sold like crazy over the Holidays, this is going to be a VERY VERY large number of people.

Download the game, at 40 GB, runs like crap. So you get excited, Patch 4 the performance patch releases at under 7GB, but oh wait, you must also download the whole 40GB patch again in addition to the 7GB.

Never forget:
"Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us"

All they freaking would have needed to do was try to download the patch on an Xbox One with the Digital Version installed during their "rigorous quality control." They would have immediately noticed a problem. I dont see how they could have done any quality control on this if they didn't catch this problem. And their digital game, that is having this issue, is being bundled with the freaking Xbox One System. One would assume that the digital version of this game on Xbox One would have been priority number 1 during their "rigorous quality control" since they are giving it away to everyone that buys an Xbox One. Nope, it is actually the version with this issue!!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They accidentally the whole game.

It's a good patch though. Especially on PS4 people are saying it improves things a lot.

should have just delayed the game until December/January. I'm not sure what that would mean for the XB1AC bundle though, I wonder is that bundle forced Ubisoft to push the game out when it wasn't ready.

Found this out when I got up this morning and the patch was 70% downloaded, and took another 6-7 hours to finish. Was just starting when I headed to bed last night, while some ubi representative was in the patch thread insisting it was just a display issue and it was a 6.5 gb patch that was going to be downloading. The gift that keeps on giving.

Top Bottom