• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Unity patch mistakenly 39gb on X1, no ETA on fix

xemumanic

So you get excited, Patch 4 the performance patch releases at under 7GB, but oh wait, you must also download the whole 40GB patch again in addition to the 7GB.[/B]

No, its just downloading the 40GB over, not 40GB + 7GB. If you were to buy the game digitally now, you'd just get the proper 40GB presumably.

see5harp

this isn't the first time I have heard about games downloading the full DD version while the disc is in the tray.

This is the first time I've downloaded a patch this large. The first time was Dead Rising and owe that to incompetant ass Capcom putting the DLC with a ton of FMV in the patch. Forza Horizon added an entire island and it was barely 1 gig.

I feel for those who got Xbone Unity bundle, downloaded the game and then got this patch.

Also what about Parity? PS4 gets only 6.7 GB but Xbone gets 40 GB? Not fair.

U2NUMB

I feel for those who got Xbone Unity bundle, downloaded the game and then got this patch.

Also what about Parity? PS4 gets only 6.7 GB but Xbone gets 40 GB? Not fair.

I would gladly swap with you in this case!!! Damn it why did I buy this game digitally..

Who do we tweet angry stuff to?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I returned my copy to the store long ago.

Let it sit on store shelves for an inventory markdown.

dex3108

Are we sure that this is Ubisofts fault? If you reinstall game from disc patch will be 6.7GB so Ubisoft submitted good files.

this isn't the first time I have heard about games downloading the full DD version while the disc is in the tray.

Xbox One's patch system seems very different from previous consoles and the PS4. I'm surprised that game journalists haven't asked Microsoft and game devs about it because the differences in file sizes between Xbox One patches and PS4 patches is obscene and there has to be a reason for it.

iNvid02

there is a workaround, but still, i would be thoroughly pissed if i had to go through this "saga" on console, and i love AC

hopefully this will learn em good

That still has no connection to a 24 hour check to see if you own the game legit.

maybe not the check in but the family sharing/DRM feature. I remember an old YT video at launch where a user had to unplug his Ethernet cable to force the XB1 to stop downloading and start installing from the disc instead. this sounds similar.

I'm just looking for a reason this might happen without anyone at MS or Ubisoft noticing.

Mononoke

Banned
Xbox One's patch system seems very different from previous consoles and the PS4. I'm surprised that game journalists haven't asked Microsoft and game devs about it because the differences in file sizes between Xbox One patches and PS4 patches is obscene and there has to be a reason for it.

You are right. But in this case, the patch being 40gb was just them re-downloading the game again. So it didn't take up 40gb of space. It just re-did the version you already had installed.

Not that I'm excusing it. I have an X1 and PS4, and the Install/Download time for PS4 is legit like 10 x quicker. Not even lying. Even when I have a disc version of an X1 game, it's crazy how long it takes to install on my console.

Something is up with the X1 design with regards to install/patches. It's not good.

I'm sorry to those afflicted but this is just too darn funn-eh~

lol I finally learned my lesson. No more pre-orders or pre-loads. Unless it's a game like Inquisition with a ton of reviews, and previews weeks before release. Even then, I'm sketch after all the reviewers gave MCC glowing reviews, even though it was broken. I've lost a lot of trust in a ton of people after this and MCC.

Shin-Ra

Don't support BAD Ubisoft games.

Buy Rayman.
Rayman Legends had irritating leaderboard/challenge server issues for months after the previous-gen release and the Awesomeness trophy/achievement grind was clearly designed to dissuade early trade-ins.

But still, buy Rayman.

xemumanic

maybe not the check in but the family sharing/DRM feature. I remember an old YT video at launch where a user had to unplug his Ethernet cable to force the XB1 to stop downloading and start installing from the disc instead. this sounds similar.

I'm just looking for a reason this might happen without anyone at MS or Ubisoft noticing.

That's because the Xbox One downloads the patch (not the whole game) as you install, so unplugging the Ethernet cuts that off. The game was always installing from the disc, but if I'm not mistaken, the patch would download first before any files were read from the disc. In a perfect world, if his connection/the download was fast enough, it wouldn't take any longer than if he installed offline.

As for reasons for why this might have happened, the prevalent idea is that this is UbiSoft's fault. If this was some sort of bug on MS's side, more games would have this issue, now or in the past.

You are right. But in this case, the patch being 40gb was just them re-downloading the game again. So it didn't take up 40gb of space. It just re-did the version you already had installed.

Not that I'm excusing it. I have an X1 and PS4, and the Install/Download time for PS4 is legit like 10 x quicker. Not even lying. Even when I have a disc version of an X1 game, it's crazy how long it takes to install on my console.

Something is up with the X1 design with regards to install/patches. It's not good.

if you have some free time maybe you could test a game install on XB1 when you don't have a connection to the internet(wired or wireless), to see if the games are indeed installed from the disc and not being downloaded.

Kssio_Aug

Can't say just take that update off till they can release the right thing?
Thats pretty stupid. I'm downloading the entire game here now.

Hard times with softwares I have to say. Its problems with Halo MCC, with my Nexus 5 latest update, with AC Unity latest patch, with Lords of the Fallen that have no console patch, and the list goes on. Its really the time to start crossing some products out of my future intentions and look for new ones that can make things right.

QC? What's that? Seriously, the incompetence is off the scale with Ubisoft. They just don't give a shit about QC or their fans anymore.

How the heck does this happen? A 40 GB patch wow, sucks for those with bandwidth caps. Is this an issue with X1 or a ubisoft gaff again? I ask because I know x1 in the past has had issues with big patches.

Zomba13

What is going on with Ubisoft lately? They were fine last year right? Is this what doing 2 AC games a year does to them?

cakely

It's pretty brutal for all those people that got AC: Unity in an Xbox One bundle ... they were all digital copies.

Blobbers

This is the straw that broke the camel's back. Now every gamer is aware of Ubisoft's incompetence and Assassin's Creed: London will get less than a million sales across the board. You reap what you sow. The DA2 effect is about to hit Ubosft hard.

How the heck does this happen? A 40 GB patch wow, sucks for those with bandwidth caps. Is this an issue with X1 or a ubisoft gaff again? I ask because I know x1 in the past has had issues with big patches.

This looks like Ubisoft messed up. Halo:MCC had some slow patching issues, but no game has included the ENTIRE game as a patch in the past. The issue people are confusing this with is the preorder issue. If you didn't wait a few seconds on the store page and instead pressed the install button before waiting for it to turn into a "play" button, the game would redownload.

Akai__

Pretty ridiculous. When I started the game earlier today I was assuming it was a typo...

Anyways, why do people think, that these patches actually add to the file size. 40GB game + 40GB patch =/= 80GB. The actual file size stays the same, but you obviously still waste the bandwidth.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is the straw that broke the camel's back. Now every gamer is aware of Ubisoft's incompetence and Assassin's Creed: London will get less than a million sales across the board. You reap what you sow. The DA2 effect is about to hit Ubosft hard.
Yes, "Dragon Age 2 effect," the one that happens to be completely non-existent. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143615629&postcount=3849

Pretty ridiculous. When I started the game earlier today I was assuming it was a typo...

Anyways, why do people think, that these patches actually add to the file size. 40GB game + 40GB patch =/= 80GB. The actual file size stays the same, but you obviously still waste the bandwidth.
Thread title implies it, and very few people are clarifying that it does not in fact take up an additional 40gb of space.

Mononoke

Banned
if you have some free time maybe you could test a game install on XB1 when you don't have a connection to the internet(wired or wireless), to see if the games are indeed installed from the disc and not being downloaded.

Unfortunately I've gone all digital. I just remember at launch I had Ryse and Dead Rising on disc. And I remember being shocked at how long it took for the game to install from the disc. Like legit, 1 hour. Whereas I could do that in 20 min on PS4. Hell, I am able to download and install GTA V on PS4 in 20 min now.

It's absolutely insane how long install times are on X1. And I'm not sure if it's a DL thing or an Install thing. Someone else in another thread told me it's an install thing, as their DL's go quick. I love my X1, but there is some truly baffling things it does worse. Installing games is worse. Even party chat is iniftely worse. MS biggeest mistake was making everything an "App". The fact that you have to load Party Chat, makes it a pain in the ass. The whole X1 OS might look nice, but it's a mess in terms of functionality.

On PS4 you just jump out with home button, and it's all pretty instant. No loading.

Top Bottom