• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASU Professor slammed to ground after jaywalking; charged with assaulting officer

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did I know that she would be a minority in Arizona getting harassed over something ridiculous. The funny part is their are people jaywalking in the video behind them yet they decide to harass the dark skin person and completely ignore them. Anyway she was wrong for resisting she should have known that as a minority just go along with whatever the cop says and fight the bs later in court. Seriously though three cops for one woman when the situation could have been entirely avoided.

jimi_dini

The cops used force on her first. After she's cuffed, she supposedly kicks one of them

http://definitions.uslegal.com/r/resisting-arrest/

In general, a person may not use physical force to resist a lawful arrest by a police officer who is known or reasonably appears to be a peace officer. Resisting an arrest is a misdemeanor. Resisting arrest typically involves an arrestee physically struggling with an officer as he tries to place on handcuffs, or when the arrestee struggles as he is being placed in a patrol car or jail cell.

Actually she used physical force first. By resisting arrest. You simply don't do that. Unless the police officer uses excessive force (which he didn't in this case) and even then I would think twice about it.

(like that supposed to do any damage)

smh

J.ceaz

Yes you should be able to assault police officers at will, and they should just have to take it. Makes perfect sense.
She wasn't arrested for assault let's not forget the kick came after he tackled her. Also I know exactly what she was arrested for I just don't get how it's in anyway acceptable. I don't care if you're. A cop or not and the end of the day we're all humans getting stopped questioned then assaulted for doing nothing is unacceptable.

BSsBrolly

Banned
The white guy wouldn't be getting harassed for jaywalking to begin with, which is the entire point.

No that's not the point. The point was that she resisted arrest, that's why she was slammed.

Edit: not because she's black, not because she jaywalked. Because she resisted arrest plain and simple.

Sianos

While, yes, the professor's response was improper for the situation, the cop's inability to deescelate conflict verbally demonstrates a very big problem with law enforcememt today. It is the police's job to minimize conflict moreso than the average citizen, considering they are supposedly trained professionals. I would expect a trained professional to have more tact and ability to actually do their job properly without hotheadedly abusing their power.

Entire situation was avoidable if both parties acted more in accordance with proper standards, but it is the responsibility and role of the police to minimize conflict, something this officer failed to do.

All she did was cross a street to avoid construction (which blocked the road).

This should never have happened, the cop should have let her be.

This is a power situation (power tripping) not a technical "break the law/no comply" situation. She was baffled at the ridiculousness of the approach, as should be.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Your cops are fucking crazy, America. Not all of them, obviously, but man. I'm happy to be living in a country where you generally feel like the police force is there to protect you, not bully you.

Sianos

While the cop may be defended on the basis that he followed the letter of the law, he was certainly not acting in the best interest of the people and failed to do his job of conflict resolution. He managed to follow "the procedure", but failed to realize his true purpose to minimize conflict and needlessly escelated it.

From a legal standpoint he did nothing wrong, but from a standpoint of doing what his job is actually supposed to do (keep the peace and protect civilians) he failed to meet the standards such professionals should be held to.

J.ceaz

Cops aren't random strangers.
I'm almost speechless. A comment like this leads me to believe your either young or naive. Cops are absolutely strangers and with a random stop like that for crossing the street is akin to getting ticketed for walking.

Sianos

What he did was standard, this woman brought it on by doing what she did after being stopped. You don't resist arrest.

Yes, he did follow the procedure of the law properly. But I expect a level of tact from trained professionals, an ability to deescelate conflict and act with human empathy as opposed to an automaton following a cold logic path.

His response was disproportionate to the situation and he failed to deescalate a minor situation. Such a cop cannot be trusted in a true high stakes situation. Trained professionals designated to protect the civilian populace should be held to high standards.

So he followed the rules by the letter and through inability to properly deescelate conflict created a situation that did not need to occur and was entirely avoidable. The professor certainly escalated the situation as well, but it is the police's job to deescalate conflicts and what they are trained to do in civilian conflicts.

terrisus

She handled that in a remarkably stupid manner for a professor.

A STEM professor would have handled it in a more logical manner.

ohyou.jpg

Sheroking

EDIT: On second watch... I mean, she was resisting definitely, but not a threat to the cop. I feel like both could have handled it a lot better.

badb0y

How dare her ask for an explanation. She should just shut up and comply or be forcefully arrested.

He did explain it though.

I have a feeling most of the people here didn't actually watch the full video.

Also, she got slammed because she was resisting arrest not because she was jaywalking.

The cop in the video says this several times before taking her down:

"I don't want to fight you"
"Stop fighting me"
"Stop"

As the woman continues to resist arrest.
Yeah, no, not buying the "resisting arrest" crap.

His physical reaction was way over the top given how she resisted. She was not a physical threat to him at all, he didn't need to go that far to arrest her. The very definition of excessive force.
Wrong, she was continually resisting arrest despite the many warnings of the officer. Takedown, justified.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I'm almost speechless. A comment like this leads me to believe your either young or naive. Cops are absolutely strangers and with a random stop like that for crossing the street is akin to getting ticketed for walking.

There's a huge difference being stopped by a cop and asked for ID or being stopped by a random dude and asked the same. How can you not see that?

A random stop for "walking" but its law.

rCIZZLE

He did explain it though.

I have a feeling most of the people here didn't actually watch the full video.

Also, she got slammed because she was resisting arrest not because she was jaywalking.

The cop in the video says this several times before taking her down:

"I don't want to fight you"
"Stop fighting me"
"Stop"

As the woman continues to resist arrest.

Wrong, she was continually resisting arrest despite the many warnings of the officer. Takedown, justified.

I did watch the video and his explanation was repeatedly cutting her off with "let me see your ID".

The way you guys view "resisting arrest" is truly precious. She didn't take off running. She wanted to talk it out but the cop was not willing to treat her as anything more than a criminal.

Where is the law that required her to show her ID for a non-traffic stop?

If that law does not exist, the cop was in the wrong. Completely. If it's a false request, she doesn't have to acknowledge shit.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I did watch the video and his explanation was repeatedly cutting her off with "let me see your ID".

The way you guys view "resisting arrest" is truly precious. She didn't take off running. She wanted to talk it out but the cop was not willing to treat her as anything more than a criminal.

Treated as a criminal because she wasn't complying...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Here is a mostly unedited video. There's much more dialogue between her and the police officer.

He repeatedly says she is "walking in the middle of the street". Which to me would imply more than jaywalking, but literally walking down the street in a lane.

Just because the news station edits a video down that doesn't mean it's all the police released.

I know. I tried looking for a fully unedited video and I couldn't find one. Your link, as you stated, is also unedited. Have you seen the full video anywhere?

J.ceaz

There's a huge difference being stopped by a cop and asked for ID or being stopped by a random dude and asked the same. How can you not see that?

A random stop for "walking" but its law.

the only difference is power. You have no idea what their motive is.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Is that whole street closed to construction or am I just seeing it wrong? Didn't get to see the first video since I was on my phone. Figured it was just some construction on the sidewalk and she crossed the street to avoid it. If the whole street was closed, what the fuck was the cop thinking?

The whole street is closed.

badb0y

There was a reason.
“The reason I’m talking to you right now is because you are walking in the middle of the street”
She was resisting arrest. Resisting arrest mean preventing the officer from putting cuffs on you and that's exactly what she was doing. When he tried to put them on her she got physical hence the ground slam.

BSsBrolly

Banned
the only difference is power. You have no idea what their motive is.

Doesn't matter what their motive is. If its a police officer, once I hear jaywalking, I say "are you kidding me?" As I'm handing over my ID. I don't get slammed on the ground or arrested and probably walk away with a warning.

Amazing how simple that is.

Carnby

Same here. I was "detained" because a gas station was robbed. They put me in custody and drove me across the street where some old guy with glasses thankfully gave them the thumbs down. It's scary how fragile one's freedom is. Since then I've looked at these assholes with a sideways glance of mistrust.

Yup! That's how my story ended too. They drove me four blocks away from my car to a pizzeria, where the owner said that I wasn't the guy. Then suddenly was uncuffed, the pizzeria went dark, and the cop drove off, all in 30 seconds. I was from out of town, so I didn't even know where I was. lol

BSsBrolly

Banned
You are not required to help a police officer arrest you. That is not resisting arrest.

She was warned before she was arrested, more than once. All she had to do was show her ID. Instead she argued about why she shouldn't have to and about how she's a teacher.

Edit: she refused to comply in other words.

The police state is real. Comply or be slammed.

This isn't about her not doing as ordered. This is about a cop with horrific conflict deescalation skills.

There's no way someone should be slammed down like that over fucking jaywalking. Jaywalking. She was doing so due to construction blocking the road but this bully (and that's what he is) was having a bad day and needed to blow off some steam so he wanted to fuck with her.

He could have calmly explained to her and in turn listen and dialed the conversation down. It's not her job to know how to deal with police. It *IS* his job to know how to deal with people to deescalate a situation. Especially over something as petty as jaywalking.

"Ma'am, I'm just doing my job and I'll let you off with a verbal warning. Please be careful when crossing the street. Perhaps you could cross somewhere else" would have been all it takes.

But nope. Not for her. Cause he wasn't gonna have someone sass him.

Comply or get the pain stick.

Thank Christ someone put this succinctly. The police have made us all into victims waiting to happen.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The white guy wouldn't be getting harassed for jaywalking to begin with, which is the entire point.
No, this exact same thing happened to a white chick in Texas a few months ago. There was a thread here on it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773132

We didn't see what she was doing before she got stopped, so we have no way to know why she was singled out. We can assume and speculate and that's about it. My personal speculation is that ASU would prefer that the campus police leave the students alone, but there is still a quota to make, so she was the one that had to eat the ticket. My past experience in the area does not lead me to believe that minorities on campus are specifically targeted for police harassment, unless something has changed. If we were talking about Scottsdale then maybe you would have a point.

Sianos

Treated as a criminal because she wasn't complying...
I'm dissappointed that you ignored my response and are looking at this from a preconventional sense of morality.

While the professor is at fault for responding improperly to the situation, the responsibility to deescalate the situation falls more on the professional law enforcement officer trained in conflict deescalation than the civilian. It is the police officer's job to resolve civilian conflict and conflict with civiliand through peaceful means. The officer, while not violating any law, used physical force in a situation where there was no danger to him or anyone else and rashly and impulsively escalated the situation further rather than show the professionalism that should be shown by trained law enforcement professionals. He followed the letter of the law, yet failed to consider the spirit of the law and his duty to protect civilians.

It is a case of having a sense of post conventional morality and understanding the role as a protector as opposed to mindlessly following the letter of the rules with no understanding of the spirit behind the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom