• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces new Shin Megami Tensei for Switch (Unreal 4)

Guess Who

Banned
As an Atlus newcomer, the only game I played from that company is Persona 4 for the PS2. Can you come into any SMT game without having to know the plot of the previous games?

Most SMT games are relatively standalone, outside of a handful of direct sequels (Digital Devil Saga 2, SMTIV: Apocalypse, etc.).

convo

Considering how the headlining demon in this announcement is the Odin from SMT4A rather than the older Kaneko one which was in fact used in Persona 5, I wouldn't hold my breath.

New Odin is cooler though. Glad they have enough resources to get him a worthy 3d model .

Jb

As an Atlus newcomer, the only game I played from that company is Persona 4 for the PS2. Can you come into any SMT game without having to know the plot of the previous games?

I found this helpful guide a few months ago on Reddit I think.
There are a bunch of valid entry points into the series, it's more a question of deciding what genre of game and level of difficulty you'd feel more comfortable with.

smt_timeline68ucm.png

convo

Welp, I have been told things from a source and he is usually right.
Take with a grain of salt:
-This proyect started as a PS4 game some years ago.
-Now is PS4/Switch.
-Nintendo and Atlus have been in talks of a timed exclusivity deal.
I really trust this guy so thats why I post this.

Well it would be nice if they aren't ambiguous to the timed exclusivity. I'd be fine with that as long they say from the beginning that it will come to PS4 too.

Nachos

New Odin is cooler though. Glad they have enough resources to get him a worthy 3d model .
Normally I'd agree, but his usual design looks really good in Persona 5.

I actually haven't followed EO5, was a reason ever given for it's lack of localization?
Current speculation I've seen is that Atlus USA is just all hands on deck for P5, so they haven't been free to work on other games. At the very least, Hardin didn't know anything about it a few weeks ago.

FluxWaveZ

Current speculation I've seen is that Atlus USA is just all hands on deck for P5, so they haven't been free to work on other games. At the very least, Hardin didn't know anything about it as of a few weeks ago.

Probably not just P5, but everything else they've been working on until now, including Caligula.

How about a trailer in the OP?

Game looks legit fucking AWESOME. I'll wait and see if this is also PS4 first before rushing to buy Switch but either way, I am soooo excited. My god, it's been so long since the last home console SMT, this is great. Music and atmosphere was really nice and on point. Obviously early days though, so I hope it keeps the tone of this trailer. Still so happy to see SMT in something like Unreal Engine 4. I am hyped for the 3DS game as well, probably from the Devil Survivor team possibly?

KarmaCow

Current speculation I've seen is that Atlus USA is just all hands on deck for P5, so they haven't been free to work on other games. At the very least, Hardin didn't know anything about it a few weeks ago.

I'm going to choose to ignore this and continue to believe that EO5 isn't that far off.

I enjoy anime but I was disappointed at the "anime" tone of SMTIV at the expense of the moody and dark atmosphere of SMTIII. If this is really the fifth instalment I'm hopefully they keep it closer to the style presented in this teaser.

There are a bunch of valid entry points into the series, it's more a question of deciding what genre of game and level of difficulty you'd feel more comfortable with.

Thanks! This seriously helps!

Vic_Viper

Like most have said already, almost all of the entries are stand alone aside from the few sequels like DDS 1 & 2 and Devil Summoner/survivor 1 & 2.

Highly recommend starting with either (all PS2 and available on PSN for PS3):

SMT III Nocturne
Persona 3 FES
Or the Digital Devil Saga

Persona 3 has been my favorite but DDS is a really good entry point into the series as it is sort of like Atlus making a SMT Final Fantasy game, complete with tons of story scenes and multiple party members. Nocturne is still considered the best in the series but it lacks the cutscenes/story sequences found in FF games and the Persona series.

Also if you have a 3DS, SMT IV is a great place to start.

horkrux

Please don't be exclusive. If this was even SMT 5 and it was exclusive to the Switch, that would be a colossal disaster.

Setsu00

Nocturne is still considered the best in the series but it lacks the cutscenes/story sequences found in FF games and the Persona series.

Nocturne is a great game, but it's not for everyone if you ask me. The game is super bleak, the characters are flat and mostly unlikable and the plot isn't all that great. I know that this is the point of SMT as the atmosphere and the philosophy behind these characters are meant to take the center stage, but I can definitely see why some people prefer SMT4A's characters over Nocturne's.

Even if you're completely fine with the game's themes and overall darkness, there's still its notorious difficulty and some elements that are simply impractical, especially if you come from the later games that add manual skill selection during demon fusion. SMT4 strikes me as a much more user-friendly way to enter the franchise in that regard.

Eolz

Great recommendation list that was made on 4chan, but reposted everywhere because it's the best out there!

Could this possibly be "Deviliser"? Atlus trademarked that name like 2-3 years ago.

Could be the 3DS game. I remember people speculating it would be a mobile game.

Please don't be exclusive. If this was even SMT 5 and it was exclusive to the Switch, that would be a colossal disaster.

That would be disappointing for some but certainly not a disaster. Just look at SMTIV/SJ.

They could have made this a 3DS/Switch game and i dont think anyone would have blamed them. Im really proud of Atlus showing the confidence to get away from the 3DS and go full HD.

Phu

Banned
They could have made this a 3DS/Switch game and i dont think anyone would have blamed them. Im really proud of Atlus showing the confidence to get away from the 3DS and go full HD.

I mean this thing is years off. It'd be kinda weird to stick to 3DS.

I suspect it's much easier to go to Switch exclusively especially if they are planning to go multi-plat. Translating games designed for two screens (one for interaction) to one screen with controller requires more design work (or vice versa).

Like most have said already, almost all of the entries are stand alone aside from the few sequels like DDS 1 & 2 and Devil Summoner/survivor 1 & 2.

Highly recommend starting with either (all PS2 and available on PSN for PS3):

SMT III Nocturne
Persona 3 FES
Or the Digital Devil Saga

Persona 3 has been my favorite but DDS is a really good entry point into the series as it is sort of like Atlus making a SMT Final Fantasy game, complete with tons of story scenes and multiple party members. Nocturne is still considered the best in the series but it lacks the cutscenes/story sequences found in FF games and the Persona series.

I dunno if I'd recommend Nocturne to a newcomer. The game is pretty unforgiving with the way the MC skill acquisition works and the fact that there's only like two useful builds for the MC if you're going for a very particular route.

DDS plays a lot like a standard DRPG but with SMT aesthetic and story.

IV is definitely a good introduction too, but it's got a very hard start.

Persona 3 FES but avoid the Answer (it's stupid hard even by SMT standards for relatively little payoff), Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 the Golden are all good Persona games too.

ar4757

-Now is PS4/Switch.

You have my interest, but years ago? It looks far off but maybe when on stage they said started development they mean active development just started

Nachos

Nocturne is still considered the best in the series but it lacks the cutscenes/story sequences found in FF games and the Persona series.
Not by everyone. I've seen a good amount of people treat it like the black sheep of the series – even moreso than Strange Journey. Though this was before Apocalypse was even announced, so maybe they've switched focus to that.

Not by everyone. I've seen a good amount of people treat it like the black sheep of the series – even moreso than Strange Journey. Though this was before Apocalypse was even announced, so maybe they've switched focus to that.

Well, it is. It's thematically at-odds with 1, 2, SJ, and 4, being the only one to ditch Cyberpunk in favor of pure Gothic Fantasy.

Realeza

Banned

Best SMT I played is IV.

FluxWaveZ

Pretty sure they said they just started working on Caligula.

That's aside from what I mean: Caligula was announced in June 2016. The Atlus localization team has been working on a ton of stuff since. With the game already announced with a slated window, that would then contribute to a possible delay in working on Etrian Odyssey V, or at least announcing it.

Where did they mention that recently, though?

Probably not just P5, but everything else they've been working on until now, including Caligula.

Not to mention all the work some Atlus staffers have to do on Sega titles. I'm pretty sure the lead editor of SMT:A is now doing Valkyria Revolution, for example.

duckroll

Scenario Drafts in SMT IV and Story Setting in SMT 4 Apocalypse (might just mean since the story takes place in 4's setting).

I have the SMTIV artbook. It's pretty clear about what Kaneko did on it. Scenario drafts doesn't mean he wrote the story. He came up with base concepts for a setting, and then the team made everything else while consulting him from time to time with regards to certain designs or the direction of the project and he would go "uh huh".

Kaneko most definitely did not write the scenario.

Amalthea

Banned
I have the SMTIV artbook. It's pretty clear about what Kaneko did on it. Scenario drafts doesn't mean he wrote the story. He came up with base concepts for a setting, and then the team made everything else while consulting him from time to time with regards to certain designs or the direction of the project and he would go "uh huh".

Kaneko most definitely did not write the scenario.
I see. Sorry bout that.

Hydrargyrus

-Now is PS4/Switch.

PS4?

That sounds great!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Mods? So i'm guessing the guy on the previous page's claims, or atleast his source has been verified?

Great news if true.

Yo93

Mods? So i'm guessing the guy on the previous page's claims, or atleast his source has been verified?

Great news if true.

Sorry but for reasons I decided to not provied information o my source so I couldn't get validated.
I will delete now the content of the post.
Once again sorry to you all.

Top Bottom